Romanov still has questionable judgement

Jammy T

OK, there have been glimmers of hope this week so far. But the talk has still to be acted upon so it is a matter of wait (even longer) and see.

But I just cant get away from the fact that Romanov's judgement appears so questionable and skewed that it simply doesnt make sense, and if he remains the only person with a voice at Tynecastle it does make me wonder where we will end up

For example, from the Romanov interview in the Scotsman:

Romanov described Frail's promotion last season as something that did not work out as planned. "In the end that didn't bring any good result," he said. "We nearly fell into the lower league."

Now I know none of us thought Frail did a great job, and none of us wanted him as manager.

But can it be denied he improved our position after Jan 1st? No

The person principally responsible for taking us to one off the bottom of the league was Cervenkov (with a hefty dose of influence from Romanov himself).

Cervenkov is now back and Frail emptied with Romanov blaming Frail for our flirtation with the bottom of the league which happened BEFORE he had any sort of major responsibility.

We also have the fact that with the last 2 weeks it has been confirmed that Romanov still reckons his Kaunas duds can make it in the EPL

So, the point for discussion is this.

Is Romanov's judgement so flawed that it will always render us in a perilous and unstable position under his stewardship, no matter the improved communication and a possible management appointment?

OK, there have been glimmers of hope this week so far. But the talk has still to be acted upon so it is a matter of wait (even longer) and see.

But I just cant get away from the fact that Romanov's judgement appears so questionable and skewed that it simply doesnt make sense, and if he remains the only person with a voice at Tynecastle it does make me wonder where we will end up

Romanov described Frail's promotion last season as something that did not work out as planned. "In the end that didn't bring any good result," he said. "We nearly fell into the lower league."

Now I know none of us thought Frail did a great job, and none of us wanted him as manager.

The person principally responsible for taking us to one off the bottom of the league was Cervenkov (with a hefty dose of influence from Romanov himself).

Cervenkov is now back and Frail emptied with Romanov blaming Frail for our flirtation with the bottom of the league which happened BEFORE he had any sort of major responsibility.

We also have the fact that with the last 2 weeks it has been confirmed that Romanov still reckons his Kaunas duds can make it in the EPL

Is Romanov's judgement so flawed that it will always render us in a perilous and unstable position under his stewardship, no matter the improved communication and a possible management appointment?

Yes.

The crowning glory of his time at Hearts is the wonderful Cup win. But it was nearly jeopardised by the vengeance towards Webster and Brellier which saw them left out for Tall and Aguiar.

Guest JamboRobbo

Thats the real concern IMO.

Not that Vlad doesn't want the best for Hearts.

Not that he's gonna do a runner at the first opportunity.

But that his judgemet is so poor, that despite having good intentions, he's making a total mess of it, and doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes.

the voice from above

But that his judgemet is so poor, that despite having good intentions, he's making a total mess of it, and doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes.

Agree entirely. We just have to cross our fingers I guess...

jambovambo

I think there's a typo in your thread title.

It should read:

"Romanov always has questionable judgement"

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly how I feel, the man is far too stubborn to change his stupid ways and it's us who suffer as a result.

It would be interesting to hear thoughts from a contrary perspective.

Or maybe there isnt a contrary perspective

Romanov has flawed judgement in his thought process which impacts upon his decision making. We should be concerned and wary of this.

Nothing to debate??

the voice from above
It would be interesting to hear thoughts from a contrary perspective.

Or maybe there isnt a contrary perspective

Romanov has flawed judgement in his thought process which impacts upon his decision making. We should be concerned and wary of this.

Nothing to debate??

I see it as this - Romanov has good intentions and the financial muscle to pull off some major acheivments, but is ultimately an arrogant idiot prone to ill advised snap decisions and outbursts. And we, as the fans, simply have to buckle up and enjoy (as best we can) the ride...

The Mighty Thor

Does he have questionable judgement? yes and no. It's a broader picture for me.

I don't think he has the ability or skill set to manage a football team, particularly bay fax from afar. That's clear for all to see in the results of the past 24 (or so) months.

Romanov has made a litany of really bad and ill informed decisions in his short time at Tynecastle and whilst bad decision making blights the history of Hearts, there's no doubt Romanov has raised the bar. Considerably.

The problem for me is two fold. he doesn't think he's making bad decisions, he thinks in his own mind that he's doing a cracking job. The second problem is the lack of anyone around him with a set of testicles to advise him/tell him he's making a james hunt of it or the decisons he's about to make will not resolve the situation.

The debt restructuring announcement this week was probably driven by the accountants at UBIG and not directly by Romanov. I personally am not excited by it. There's too many holes in everything to get too carried away. The actual debt figure is fluid and has a range of about ?10 million, the transfer monies (?11m) still haven't hit the accounts for some reason. Costs in the last accounts were still rising and added to this was the managenent fees of c. ?4m.

Was the equity swap a good decison? probably yes, but it was only made to hide/cover the consequences of many of his bad decisions.

What's next? Debt level will be down (to what no-one knows) but revenue will be down significantly too and unless costs come down and the outstanding transfer monies appear the ?12m will evaporate pretty quickly in my opinion.

Basically we are no further forward than we were at the end of last season (or the one before) which was widely accepted as being a shambles. Time's ticking on and there's nothing on the horizon to suggest that the coming season will be any better.

Questionable judgement and an inability to listen is generally never a recipe for success.

lambojambo
Yes.

The crowning glory of his time at Hearts is the wonderful Cup win. But it was nearly jeopardised by the vengeance towards Webster and Brellier which saw them left out for Tall and Aguiar.

My recollection is that Tall and Aguiar put in pretty good perfomances in the SCF.

Not withstanding the above, VR was totally correct in bumping Webster - total Bluenose ****bag IMO!

As for Brellier, if he had played from the start oor pal Doogie would have had him off before you could say "I'm a Hobo!":rolleyes:

My recollection is that Tall and Aguiar put in pretty good perfomances in the SCF.

Not withstanding the above, VR was totally correct in bumping Webster - total Bluenose ****bag IMO!

As for Brellier, if he had played from the start oor pal Doogie would have had him off before you could say "I'm a Hobo!":rolleyes:

Tall and Aguiar were the 2 worst players in Hearts jerseys in the Cup final in my opinion. It was even more galling that we had the best centre half in the country and the best holding midfielder in the country kept out for VR's whimsical reasons.

I don't think McDonald sent Brellier off in any of the games he refereed. Not that I think McDonald is anything like a consistent referee.

And as for Webster - why was it right to play him for 30 games that season - including the stormer he had in the semi final - and then - great loyalty this - dump him for the cup final?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tall sold the jerseys before the 'tackle' made by a certain Mr Neilson. Surprised you can't recall that! :rolleyes:

As for Brellier, I can recall joining in with almost all the rest of the Hearts support in bringing him on that day as it was clear Gretna were running through the centre of our midfield at will.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

From reading this thread thank God there are still sensible Jambos who see through the latest bilge from Vlad.

Yet again talk of a revolt is headed off by timely announcements, just like Jan 1st.

I think we are in such a state that rather than protest we would jump on anything right now.

Utter spinelessness.

The nutter will always interfere,and remember even if we do get a good manager and we sing his name he will be sacked so we are in a no win situation

Francis Albert

Vlad has "questionable judgement"? Of course he has. That's why he is here. No one with sound judgement was prepared to cough up what was required to take on a near bankrupt football club when Vlad took over, were they?

jambovambo
The nutter will always interfere,and remember even if we do get a good manager and we sing his name he will be sacked so we are in a no win situation

That's right, an interesting point ... we have seen Romanov's repeated reactions to lack of success (rake around his address book for someone from his pyramid who can fill a gap - even the same person repeatedly e.g. Eddie / Cernenkov) ... but what we haven't seen more than once is his reaction to success, as per the Burley scenario.

Very very interesting to see a successful, autonomous manager in place, six months down the line, we're top of the league * , we're chanting the manager's name etc etc ... how would Vlad like that this time?

(* By the way, of course, I'd love that)

Yes - his latest interview is as full of nonsense as ever.

He's done very little concrete this week (move some debt around while increasing his share holding and - yet again - promising us a manager soon) and yet he seems to be off the hook again, which is impressive bull****ting but he knows literally nothing about football which is very, very dangerous in a man who likes to think he can run the footballing side of our club, and shows no sign of accepting that 99% of our troubles are directly attributable to him and his period in charge.

Francis Albert
99% of our troubles are directly attributable to him and his period in charge.

So he ?20m or so of the current debt which represents what he inherited is now 1% of our troubles.

So he ?20m or so of the current debt which represents what he inherited is now 1% of our troubles.

Depends if you view our debt as a trouble!!

flecktimus

Of course you are correct to point out that the 20m is more than 1% of our troubles.

But the percentage may have been at lot less if the football club had been more prudent in its business activities.

You could also make the argument that with the transfer fees and the refinancing the figure would be very close to 1%

john brownlee
From reading this thread thank God there are still sensible Jambos who see through the latest bilge from Vlad.

Yet again talk of a revolt is headed off by timely announcements, just like Jan 1st.

I think we are in such a state that rather than protest we would jump on anything right now.

Utter spinelessness.

yep and its the same four or five that just repeat the same regurgitated spiel at every opportunity

yep and its the same four or five that just repeat the same regurgitated spiel at every opportunity

What's your opinion of the issue being debated? :)

I took some care to ensure that

1. this wasnt a regurgitation

2. the topic was focussed upon a debate rather than a rant

3. and I questioned the impact of the issue moving forward rather than simply making some sort of declaration

I would welcome a reasoned view to the contrary so that the concern can be explored more

Fat Striker

Romanov’s reign has been littered with atrocious judgement calls.

The latest seems to be putting the blame on Stevie Frail for the shambles of last season whilst absolving Cervenkov and Korabochka. I’m sure the infamous Jan 1st statement made reference to Frail being kept on when the new ‘British style’ manager arrived. What happened to that loyalty?

What miracle was Frail expected to achieve given the circumstances? Ultimately he came up short but we all know the damage was done in the first half of the season.

It’s always about the blame game for Romanov and frankly it’s about time that he looked at himself and his ‘trusted lieutenants’ when pointing the finger.

Romanov’s reign has been littered with atrocious judgement calls.

The latest seems to be putting the blame on Stevie Frail for the shambles of last season whilst absolving Cervenkov and Korabochka. I’m sure the infamous Jan 1st statement made reference to Frail being kept on when the new ‘British style’ manager arrived. What happened to that loyalty?

What miracle was Frail expected to achieve given the circumstances? Ultimately he came up short but we all know the damage was done in the first half of the season.

It’s always about the blame game for Romanov and frankly it’s about time that he looked at himself and his ‘trusted lieutenants’ when pointing the finger.

Well the passage I quoted above completes the process that a number of us argued had started on Jan 1st with the appointment of Frail

Frail : The Scapegoat

Having run out of people to blame with the committee set up, he needed one man in charge, and created that opportunity through appointing Frail.

Despite Frail improving the form and discipline of the club and getting us higher in the league than when he took "control" Romanov now blames him for nearly getting us into the lower leagues....and the person primarily responsible is back.

This is the first time he has confirmed this

The journey of Frail to scapegoat is now complete. As planned.

the voice from above
Well the passage I quoted above completes the process that a number of us argued had started on Jan 1st with the appointment of Frail

Frail : The Scapegoat

Having run out of people to blame with the committee set up, he needed one man in charge, and created that opportunity through appointing Frail.

Despite Frail improving the form and discipline of the club and getting us higher in the league than when he took "control" Romanov now blames him for nearly getting us into the lower leagues....and the person primarily responsible is back.

This is the first time he has confirmed this

The journey of Frail to scapegoat is now complete. As planned.

I'd agree with your point that frail has been set up as the scapegoat for our ****ty season. Another sign of Vlad's arrogance is that he thinks that if he says it we'll believe it. Frail was in a ****ty situation and completely out of his depth with no support whatsoever.

I wouldn't however just dump the blame on Angel. He didn't shower himself in glory, far from it, but that whole 'committee' period was a disaster all round and the main reason for its failure was Vlad himself and his persistent meddeling (sp).

Just skipped through the thread so this may have been said but the bit I like is that he has said he is more akin to the way things work in Scotland.

But I think JR is spot on with his first post.

He really does care.

He really does want to make us a success.

But it is his judgement which is clouding us from doing so.

Can't argue with that.

I think it's ridiculous that he can blame Frail for us being bottom of the league, when Frail had the team playing with the third best form in the league from not long after he took over which was pretty much consistent until after the split.

Frail had very little to do with our fall to 11th place.

Mister Dee

It seems to me that he is nuts, & always will be.

He has lost the trust of the supporters, the media hate him, & he has shafted player & manager alike when they disagree with him.

He is never going to accept that when things go wrong they are his fault & not the Old Firm or the SFA etc, etc.

It's a real shame he can't do the right thing, as there is a brilliant support ready to back the right man.

The Real Maroonblood

I take it you include "The Puppet Master" in your four or five and you would fit in the spineless category.

:)

Nelly Terraces

The only voices Romanov is interested in listening to are the ones in his head.

The blokes a total ******. And a coward.

FTH. Gorgie Rules.

NT.

hartyfaeclery

whatever happend to david icke:wacko: have him and mad vlad :wacko:ever been pictured together;)

Clerry Jambo

His latest judgement is incredible:mad:

Brings back Chernenkov who he had already been shipped back to Cowness and lets go a decent Scottish Coach.

Yeah Stevie wasn't ready for Head Coach but he would have been a good number 2 for the new man to have if agreed by all parties or back running the reserve squads - truly remarkable by Romanov but by now not surprising:mad:

The People's Chimp

The guy is clearly on something.

"In the past I allowed local people to run the club," said Romanov earlier this week. "For me, this really didn't work. Everyone knows who was in charge of the team. It was Stevie Frail. But we nearly fell out of the league."

of course you did, vladimir, of course you did.

Its interesting that the more obvious - "take a chill pill about Romanov" posters havent posted anything on this thread.

Is it the case when there is something undefensible they just ignore it - focussing upon the grey areas and smokescreens created elsewhere in the club

Surely if we cant trust the judgement of the guy making all of the decisions, and there is evidence of, and a continuation of, this flawed judgement in crucial areas of the team, we need to assess and re-assess the benefits of Romanov to the club?

Nah, we'll just pile into guys trying to do something about it on a pressure group thread, and rant and rave about boring negativity on threads where there is a chink of light in any arguments....

Its interesting that the more obvious - "take a chill pill about Romanov" posters havent posted anything on this thread.

Is it the case when there is something undefensible they just ignore it - focussing upon the grey areas and smokescreens created elsewhere in the club

Surely if we cant trust the judgement of the guy making all of the decisions, and there is evidence of, and a continuation of, this flawed judgement in crucial areas of the team, we need to assess and re-assess the benefits of Romanov to the club?

Nah, we'll just pile into guys trying to do something about it on a pressure group thread, and rant and rave about boring negativity on threads where there is a chink of light in any arguments....

It's easier to be negative and to bring others down than to be positive and to try to make something happen I guess.

Strange comments from Vlad and totally untrue. Koro and Cervenkov can not be considered local under any circumstances so he seems to be blaming Frail for his own failings in terms of interference and lack of a proper manager. About par for the course i'd say.

By The Light..
The only voices Romanov is interested in listening to are the ones in his head.

The blokes a total ******. And a coward.

FTH. Gorgie Rules.

NT.

what he said + he's not good enough for Heart of Midlothian

This thread is so refreshing. I was beginning to lose hope. I thought after the events of the past few days with the club having the grace to tell us something and Vlad sparing the time to come to the UK and actually say something, that everybody was buying it and missing what was really going on.

Yet another faithful Hearts servant treated in a disgraceful manner, more no hopers mentioned for the job and yet again the mad one spouting nonsense to the press that he thinks is clever and witty but simply shows him to be the buffoon that he is. A man incapable of letting others do their job. A man who has been here two minutes, knows nothing about our country yet feels in a position to make a carte blanche statement about Scottish managers and the mafia. He is a grade 1 kn0b.

"It won't be long till Hearts are Scottish Champions"

Really Vlad. I think we had our chance and you blew it by getting rid of an excellent manager and dismantling the best team of players we've had in my living memory. I'm just glad other contributors on this thread can clearly see that he is a total liability to our club.

Romanovs judgement has been seriously flawed, add to that the judgement of those involved who invited him in to Tynie with open arms and ignored the advice of Eddie Thomson and John Yorkston. Hearts are in a mess and it is down to Vlad but Foulkes, Deans et all have blood on their hands too.

We finished 8th last year - this year could be much worse, be prepared

maroonedinoz
Romanovs judgement has been seriously flawed, add to that the judgement of those involved who invited him in to Tynie with open arms and ignored the advice of Eddie Thomson and John Yorkston. Hearts are in a mess and it is down to Vlad but Foulkes, Deans et all have blood on their hands too.

We finished 8th last year - this year could be much worse, be prepared

There is no argument from me that Vlad is a complete and utter dipstick and that the quicker he is gone, and we return to being run like a dignified and respected football club instead of like a sickening freak show, the better.

However, I do not believe for one minute that we will finish anything like below 8th.

We may have our troubles, but the rest of the SPL bar the OF, have their finanical problems too and that alone will ensure we remain reasonably competitive with the best of the rest.

Note JJ's statement to the BBC today that Kilmarnock couldn't compete in wages terms with clubs in England's divison 2 and that some non league clubs down there paid more than Killie!

It's easier to be negative and to bring others down than to be positive and to try to make something happen I guess.

Strange comments from Vlad and totally untrue. Koro and Cervenkov can not be considered local under any circumstances so he seems to be blaming Frail for his own failings in terms of interference and lack of a proper manager. About par for the course i'd say.

You might be right with your first sentence, although my OP wasnt negative. Just an assessment of the facts which was not supportive of Romanov.

What cant be denied is that it is unusual for a thread with a stance which isnt supportive of Romanov not being peppered with abuse at the negativity and some sort of convoluted attempt to justify the opposite position.

Its not an insignificant point

Romanov blames Frail for nearly getting us relegated who has been emptied as a result.

The same logic applied to players or the new manager means it is likely we will suffer from this flawed thinking whilst Romanov remains.

So whilst I am positive about the communication this week

Whilst I am content if Csaba gets the job with full control

If the flawed thinking of Romanov evidenced in this quote (and lets face it he has shown plenty other flawed judgement in his 3 years) remains - and it shows no sign of going away, we're actually likely to be a complete mess whilst Romanov remains at the club

Its a concern. A worry.

If it continues will the fans ever unify against Vlad??

Firmly in the "I think Romanov is an egotistical buffoon" camp. How can Frail carry the can any more than Rix, Ivanauskus, (twice), Korobochka, Malofeev etc etc if they aren't allowed to pick which players to bring in, which to throw out, which to select, when and where to make substitutions?

All this in the midst of 3 years of glorious progress at Hearts.

It's just so much ****. imo

We're trying to shift season tickets right now. I think it might work this year.

It won't work next year.

Well Yes.....

But his treatment of staff and supporters is completely unbecoming the owner of HEART OF Midlothian......IMO.

This to me is as important as anything. I'd have have some respect for the man if he was was only sending us down the pan thru well meaning but poor decisions.

The fact that he acts like a complete weasel in the process compounds his very poor judgement...... and is in fact equally important......To my mind

Francis Albert
But his treatment of staff and supporters is completely unbecoming the owner of HEART OF Midlothian......IMO.

Entirely in line with our tradition IMO. Walker, Bauld and Mackay. Cruickshank too. (And no it doesn't make it right, but don't waffle on about our great tradition in such matters)

J.T.F.Robertson
Entirely in line with our tradition IMO. Walker, Bauld and Mackay. Cruickshank too. (And no it doesn't make it right, but don't waffle on about our great tradition in such matters)

It's "Mayfly memory" syndrome again. ;)

Having said that, Vlad seems almost to revel in the humiliation aspect of it.

Archived