Celtic V Hearts League Cup Memories

7628mm

Savage Vince
7 hours ago, martoon said:

The 2-2 League Cup tie in 1989/90 was one of the most entertaining games I've witnessed.

Led at half time thanks to a cracking Scott Crabbe free kick, Celtic, unfortunately, equalised in the second half to force extra time.

Looked over when Celtic took the lead but Robbo came off the bench for his first appearance of the season and scored a last gasp equaliser.

Bit of a swift comedown though as our penalties were honking and Celtic went through.

Cracking match though and the stadium crackled with the 25k packed in.

I knew a Celtic fan who was in the away end that night and he said the celebration after our late, late equaliser was one of the barmiest he'd ever seen. I was pleased to tell him that I was in the absolute thick of it. 

One of the best football matches I've seen at Tynecastle. 

5 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I knew a Celtic fan who was in the away end that night and he said the celebration after our late, late equaliser was one of the barmiest he'd ever seen. I was pleased to tell him that I was in the absolute thick of it. 

It was a cracker. You can describe how good Tynecastle was on nights like that but it doesn’t do it justice. 
Penalty shoot out was terrible but glad to have been there.

Was going to say I was surprised no one had mentioned the “ Andy Thorn “ QF but just seen the post. 
Mad !

3 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

We were awful in the league opener a few weeks before but that night we went toe to toe.

Really disappointing we lost on penalties but I knew we'd go on to have a good 89/90 season.

A lot of great performances and only 7 points short of the title.

Also, it's the only season I've managed to attend every single Hearts game. Always had to miss one or two away games in other seasons around that time but glad I managed a 100%.

Hectormasson
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

It was a cracker. You can describe how good Tynecastle was on nights like that but it doesn’t do it justice. 
Penalty shoot out was terrible but glad to have been there.

Was going to say I was surprised no one had mentioned the “ Andy Thorn “ QF but just seen the post. 
Mad !

Andy smashed into grant and Di canio , done them both , one hard guy he was .....

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

We were awful in the league opener a few weeks before but that night we went toe to toe.

Really disappointing we lost on penalties but I knew we'd go on to have a good 89/90 season.

A lot of great performances and only 7 points short of the title.

Also, it's the only season I've managed to attend every single Hearts game. Always had to miss one or two away games in other seasons around that time but glad I managed a 100%.

Only days after the debacle at Ibrox as well. No one gave us a hope. 
Think in a way it steeled the players. Got it right up them !

Wasn't at the 2 Parkhead wins but even watching them on BBC was fantastic, particularly the 2007 one. One of very few highlights in a dismal season.

Only game I've been to against them in the League Cup was 2015, we played them at Tynie in the quarters I think it was. Didn't play too badly but think they won 1 or 2-0? Juanma as ever getting flagged offside left, right and centre, but I was sat in the old main stand closer to the Gorgie, and there was one or two incorrectly given against him.

Broxburn Jambo
7 hours ago, Herbert said:

It's awright what's the worst that they will say I'm a hobo. I've had that for days.

To be fair. your just a bit of a clown

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Only days after the debacle at Ibrox as well. No one gave us a hope. 
Think in a way it steeled the players. Got it right up them !

Aah!

Sorry, Boab, but you're a few years out there.

Easily done, mate.

As you say, though, girfut.

Edited by martoon

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aah!

Sorry, Boab, but you're a few years out there.

Easily done, mate.

As you say, though, girfut.

Sorry, mate, think I was replying to myself about the 1-0 QF. 😂

2-2 game was a great night even though we lost on pens. Oh for nights like that back !

1 minute ago, Boab said:

2-2 game was a great night even though we lost on pens. Oh for nights like that back !

👍😊

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

I was at the 7 men game at Ibrox, Boab, but couldn't make the QF v. Celtic.

A great night I'll always regret missing.

I was at both the wins at Celtic Park and the QF win at Tynecastle in 96. Outside of the cup final wins the 96 win remains my favourite Hearts victory.

It was a strange feeling heading to the game that night knowing that our whole defence (Bruno, Weir, Pointon, Ritchie) had been sent off at Ibrox three days earlier so were suspended, but I remember having a strange feeling we were going to produce a big performance that night and we certainly did. Gary Naysmith was outstanding as was Andy Thorn - and the finish from Robbo for the goal was superb. As others have pointed out, that was a top Celtic side with likes of Di Canio, Van Hooidonk and Cadete. Just a fantastic Tynecastle night under the floodlights.  

1 minute ago, martoon said:

I was at the 7 men game at Ibrox, Boab, but couldn't make the QF v. Celtic.

A great night I'll always regret missing.

Was at them, mate. Remember just laughing when Ritchie went off. What a shambles of a day. To be fair to the pre-sevcos, they were booing the clown officials as much as us !

Just now, Boab said:

Was at them, mate. Remember just laughing when Ritchie went off. What a shambles of a day. To be fair to the pre-sevcos, they were booing the clown officials as much as us !

Quite something when even Rangers/OF fans can see how ridiculous it was. 

millerjames398

Losing on penalties after a crackin 2-2 draw back in 89 or 90? That wank bonnar saving two in the shootout i think, was absolutely gutted, it was my 1st game at tynecastle against them as well🤬😂🇱🇻

Remember watching velicka score a double on the grace kelly to knock Ceptic out at parkheed a few years back, it was a very enjoyable afternoon tbf, hopefully a repeat of that again, although it was a pity about the semi final that same year of which I attended against the huns with Barry "basketball" Ferguson cheating us out of it, tbf I thought velicka should have had at least one goal in that game as well, missed a fair few good chances.

Skippy Doodle

Here are some famous wins against them league cup, Scottish cup and league during the past 35 years or so 😀👍

11 hours ago, Herbert said:

Mind they pumped us by 7 in the cup, bet Robbie has his eyes on that record.

Is this sort of thing a thrill to you, Herbie?

Do you not mean ‘I bet’ by the way?

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Is this a spelling mistake?

It was.  A wee one.

8 hours ago, Herbert said:

It's awright what's the worst that they will say I'm a hobo. I've had that for days.

Is that a grammatically horrendous whole sentence?  

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

It was.  A wee one.

Is that a grammatically horrendous whole sentence?  

I made a wee one the other day and got mocked for it.

Aye probably.

colinmaroon
16 hours ago, Herbert said:

You’ve clearly got nothing worth saying with that childish response so why bother? Just walk away.

Not identifying with the original post and your nonsensical second post, and distancing myself from your insulting, problematic pathetic pessimism, assuming you're not an interloper of course, is not childish, it's the route of anyone who actually saw the game.

The finishing was way below what's expected but condemning the whole performance is so far from reality, "Herbert" is an apt riposte to your nonsense as the alternative would have got  me banned. 

SectionDJambo
6 hours ago, dannymack said:

WOW ! 

Controversy at a Hearts v Celtic cup game, unbelievable 😳

Screenshot_20210617-082909_Samsung Internet.jpg

I was going to post on this very incident but wasn't 100% sure it was the League Cup. It just sticks with me because it was such a corrupt decision. No surprise it was given, but Dalglish just fell backwards into the Hearts man. Hugh Alexander was typical of the west coast referees who always seemed to give Celtic and Rangers big decisions in big games. 

It's past incidents like this that made that penalty they were crying about in 2012 all the sweeter.

Say What Again
15 hours ago, j1964m said:

Ref trying his best for them, giving them a corner in injury time in extra time when John Hughes heads clean over.

Edited by Say What Again

Mars plastic

I mind the league cup qtr. at Tynie in 2015 when the fans were greetin about giving Celtic the whole end. The club then bowed to pressure and we only ended up shifting 10K. 

Coach Neilson shat his breeks the entire game, Celtic scored two late on and then we went for it with 10 minutes to go but the game was finito by then.

7 hours ago, dannymack said:

WOW ! 

Controversy at a Hearts v Celtic cup game, unbelievable 😳

Screenshot_20210617-082909_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know Mike Aitken is a Hearts fan but a pretty fair account of the game. Dalglish cheating and diving was nothing new - he did it in the game we humped them 4-1 at the end of an earlier season.

Rab had been kicked about the pitch by McGrain (after illness a dirty B)) and all Rab did was trip up the Celtic player.  We played well with Jimmy Brown outstanding. One of the first times I saw Hearts qualify out our group section in the league cup too!  I'd only been going to games for about 10 years 😃

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Not identifying with the original post and your nonsensical second post, and distancing myself from your insulting, problematic pathetic pessimism, assuming you're not an interloper of course, is not childish, it's the route of anyone who actually saw the game.

The finishing was way below what's expected but condemning the whole performance is so far from reality, "Herbert" is an apt riposte to your nonsense as the alternative would have got  me banned. 

Eh?

14 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

😁

You must have some real issues. Go get help. I went to a occupational health therapist through work, worked wonders.

We’ve deserved some of the defeats dished out to us by them over the years for not turning up but I couldn’t believe we got beaten 3-0 in 2014 at Parkhead in the LC.

It was live on tv. Remember us being well in the game from the start and playing well. Best opening chances.  

From what I recall we handed them the opener from a poor clearance in our own box.  Straight to the Tim player and he knocked it in.  The 2nd half we missed a pen to equalise and they went straight up the park and made it 2-0.  :facepalm: