Finlay Pollock

tartofmidlothian

Seems to have all the basics needed to

make it. Good touch, movement, vision and an eye for goal. Needs to develop physically and gain experience. Not sure if staying and challenging for a Spot here or a loan option would be best. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I thought he was better the 2nd half. Definitely grew into the game imo. 

Tend to agree with your assessment . Obviously highly thought of and could be drip fed into team this season 

Thought Halliday was very supportive , covered his mistakes etc . Saw Boyce giving him advice too . 

Other young guys looked promising too .

Surprised Maceneff not been mentioned . Thought when he came on he brought loads of energy to our play . Still confident we have a good one there

2 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Tend to agree with your assessment . Obviously highly thought of and could be drip fed into team this season 

Thought Halliday was very supportive , covered his mistakes etc . Saw Boyce giving him advice too . 

Other young guys looked promising too .

Surprised Maceneff not been mentioned . Thought when he came on he brought loads of energy to our play . Still confident we have a good one there

Completely agree, especially regarding Maceneff. Regarding Pollok I thought the talking through the game he got from those around him was noticeably less in the 2nd half. I’m torn between sending in loan and keeping in the first team squad. Maybe a loan till January. 

Clark Griswold

No way was he the best player on the park last night, although he did not look out of place at all. Hoping he uses these experiences to kick on and keep working hard to push into the first team squad this season.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Completely agree, especially regarding Maceneff. Regarding Pollok I thought the talking through the game he got from those around him was noticeably less in the 2nd half. I’m torn between sending in loan and keeping in the first team squad. Maybe a loan till January. 

Is there a reserve/ developement league this year? 

If so, playing in the reserves and making some  appearances in the first team works, as he'll be playing regularly no matter what. 

If he's not good enough to play in our first 15 regular and there's no reserve league then it makes sense to loan him. 

The big issue last season was that players couldn't play between the two squads as there was no reserve league. 

If we improve the quality of our squad then the kid will have half a chance. However, if we continue to blood our youngsters in with dross week in week out like we have done for the past half decade he may as well just sign for Cove Rangers now. 

5 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Interesting to note he's a Stewart's Melville pupil, and a good rugby player too. Henderson as well.

https://www.esms.org.uk/news/smc-pupil-finlay-pollock-makes-heart-midlothian-fc-debut

I know Harry Stone went to George Heriot's too.

Do we more prospects from private schools than we'd usually have just now? If so, is there maybe any reason behind that or just would it just be statistical blip?

Ronald Villiers

Hopefully these young guys get used more often when we can afford to.  Pollock and Smith looked lively.  Pollock should've squared it for GMS when he took the shot.  Just inexperience and eagerness to find the net.  An experienced player like GMS shouldn't be roaring at the laddie for having the confidence to shoot though.  A wee bit encouragement and a quiet word would have been better.

Fort Vallance

Looks like a player but let's not heap pressure on the lad. They all develop at different rates, he looks a cut above but its early days. I just hope Neilson has the balls / opportunity to give him him game time.

Didn't see last night so can't comment on the main topic. But on the discussion on loans - is Gary Naysmith still at the club and still working as loan manager? 

I think loans can work but the success depends on a) finding the right club with a manager who will nurture, develop and play the player, and b) explaining to the player the path to the first team after the loan, for example what development points they need to work on, what they need to show in the loan spell that will lead to them getting a chance in the first team. 

I'd have thought all of this was the role of a loan manager but it doesn't seem to have happened of late. And now with Steven Naismith coming in to work with the youngsters getting into the first team I'm not sure what the loan manager is meant to be doing. 

5 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Didn't see last night so can't comment on the main topic. But on the discussion on loans - is Gary Naysmith still at the club and still working as loan manager? 

I think loans can work but the success depends on a) finding the right club with a manager who will nurture, develop and play the player, and b) explaining to the player the path to the first team after the loan, for example what development points they need to work on, what they need to show in the loan spell that will lead to them getting a chance in the first team. 

I'd have thought all of this was the role of a loan manager but it doesn't seem to have happened of late. And now with Steven Naismith coming in to work with the youngsters getting into the first team I'm not sure what the loan manager is meant to be doing. 

Gary was released during Covid (sure it was more a case of contract ended and not renewed as role not deemed priority as part of cost cutting)

He is now Edinburgh City manager.

Steven, on the face of it has taken on Gary's duties but with hands on coaching added.

Happy to be corrected though.

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Gary was released during Covid (sure it was more a case of contract ended and not renewed as role not deemed priority as part of cost cutting)

Steven, on the face of it has taken on Gary's duties but with hands on coaching added.

Ah perfect. Thanks! I must have missed Gary's new role! 

I think a role like this will be helpful in making any loans we do more meaningful and hopefully more successful!

55 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Do we more prospects from private schools than we'd usually have just now? If so, is there maybe any reason behind that or just would it just be statistical blip?

Little bit back but Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Academy)  chose rugby ahead of Hearts.

Edited by DETTY29

John Findlay
58 minutes ago, number-16 said:

The private schools play football now. They never when I was growing up in the 1970s.

My son is with the Spartans Academy. Considering Spartans location. Of his intake 2008s

There are three boys out of 50 odd, to my knowledge who live on council schemes. Two in West Pilton( my son being one), and another in Royston. There are a few boys who go to private schools. Mainly Edinburgh Academy and Stewart Melville's. My son attends Broughton along with 5 other boys from the 2008 intake. Others attend Boroughmuir, Craigmount, and St Thomas's. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

When I was at the posh bit for my b day, Gary was asked by Scott Wilson what he does as loans manager. 

He was recently appointed. 

Gary answersed something like

"gee the Boyz a fone at the weekend, make sure they're OK. Maybe watch a few of them now and then. 

Wilson taken the piss out of him, don't think he even realised Tbh. 

As a side I got my photo with him and Colin Cameron 😁

kingantti1874
55 minutes ago, kwizbet09 said:

Neilson has said today the he is not planning to put Pollock out on loan but keep him around the first team

good.

same should apply to Connor smith. He’s 19 now. He’s either good enough or he isn’t.  Give him minutes

Edited by kingantti1874

I hope we learn from the experience some of the young talent that has come through the club

We've seen 16 year old's burst on to the scene then fade away.

There should be no pressure on him, give him time to mature mentally and physically with all the support we can

There's much though out of the clubs control and that may be the difference between taking that next step and reaching a plateau from which they or he does not move on

I'd like him just to work away behind the scenes and keep the publicity to a minimum

15 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

A very neat and tidy player. Ran himself in to the ground, and was understandably knackered.

Only thing I would say is he seems a bit lightweight but that’s to be expected at his age - he certainly gets stuck in though.

I like him.

This is the closest I get to being ITK. His dad is about 6'3" but was relatively small and skinny until he left school at which point he grew quickly and added muscle. Finlay may well follow this pattern.

Not that it matters in the slightest, but out of interest, is he a Hearts fan? Always a bonus when a good youngster supports the club

5 minutes ago, lou said:

Not that it matters in the slightest, but out of interest, is he a Hearts fan? Always a bonus when a good youngster supports the club

Yes, he is.

1 hour ago, kwizbet09 said:

Neilson has said today the he is not planning to put Pollock out on loan but keep him around the first team

Good! Hickey held his own and we shouldn’t be looking to loan out because it’s the done thing. If the laddie is good enough to compete for a place, let him do so. 

Btw the boy is actually 16 and not 17 as far as I can see. Maybe not a great deal of difference more generally but in senior football, a year at that age does make a huge difference both in the physical and mental side of the game. I thought he had a really good game and looks a real prospect.

21 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was terrific and had a fantastic attitude. A long hard road ahead for him, a few tough battles against experienced, game Cove players but in terms of a debut, you can't ask for much more. Some really nice passes, good movement and should have scored

No he should have laid it off. However you can understand him going for it.

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, JamboM003 said:

Btw the boy is actually 16 and not 17 as far as I can see. Maybe not a great deal of difference more generally but in senior football, a year at that age does make a huge difference both in the physical and mental side of the game. I thought he had a really good game and looks a real prospect.

Date of birth/Age: Jun 27, 2004 (17)

according to transfrmrkt. 

Glamorgan Jambo
4 hours ago, lou said:

His dad certainly is a shed veteran.

On 13/07/2021 at 22:12, Pans Jambo said:

Hope this lad makes it. He was excellent tonight & deserves to be recognised as having a really good game. 
I remember seeing another young lad who had “Broony” in his pocket. Went to his head and now hes nowhere really. 
Pollock looked like he was 24 tonight. Hope he has the support to keep his heed screwed on & feet on the ground. 
Exciting talent. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

Agree with all of this

Finlay may have had the odd pass that wasn't completed and if we are truthful his pass to Ginnelly should have been a lot better, but most of the stuff he tried was positive and on the front foot.

I didn't see any easing of himself in to the game and taking safe short posession passes we have been accustomed too.  

It should also be said that happened across all the team.

Edited by DETTY29

So Make Some Noise..

Whilst the intent of this thread is clearly good, can't help think that opening up a conversation about a young lad on here only ever ends one way. Folk getting carried away, building him up only to shoot him back down when he loses the ball or a pass goes array in his first few games before he's labelled not good enough.

Can we just get behind this boy come what may and give him a chance to grow and develop? I fear not. Confidence is huge and the boo boys are decent at ruining that for  anyone who has a bad game. Same goes for Henderson. Absolutely a player in there and confidence is key to consistency.

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

Hackney Hearts
3 hours ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Confidence is huge and the boo boys are decent at ruining that for anyone who has a bad game. 

What does Jambo Panda eat?

Bam - booooooooo!

20 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

good.

same should apply to Connor smith. He’s 19 now. He’s either good enough or he isn’t.  Give him minutes

Totally agree, Smiths looked good whenever I’ve saw him, would like to see him given a chance this season to stake a claim. 

Brighton Jambo
5 hours ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Whilst the intent of this thread is clearly good, can't help think that opening up a conversation about a young lad on here only ever ends one way. Folk getting carried away, building him up only to shoot him back down when he loses the ball or a pass goes array in his first few games before he's labelled not good enough.

Can we just get behind this boy come what may and give him a chance to grow and develop? I fear not. Confidence is huge and the boo boys are decent at ruining that for  anyone who has a bad game. Same goes for Henderson. Absolutely a player in there and confidence is key to consistency.

Well said.  Let’s just let him play and judge him at the end of the season rather than an in depth critique after every game.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 14/07/2021 at 11:56, lou said:

I also thought Connor Smith brought a good energy to the team when he came on, hoping we see him start one of cup games

He looks to have bulked up nicely as well since I last saw him play.