Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If they do I've never noticed it either. I doubt it, it feels very American, any excuse to shoehorn some reference to an asset management company 😂 

Edit: just saw James' post above, I take it back, sorry America.

I can’t be certain but I think they do it at Roland Garros and Flinders park 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's just silly.  Nobody should have that kind of cold blooded nerve in such difficult circumstances.  Massive crowd backing the other player.  Other player at the gamesmanship.  The upset of having to get the knee plastered up when under that pressure.  Break point down and might chuck it away.  With zero experience.  At 18. 

Haha.  No way.  When does the real tournament start?

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Great win for Radacanu. No more qualifiers for her and ranking will be unreal.

She seems pretty level headed and has Murray and Henman to call on for support.

Think Sports personality of the year is done and dusted.

Lady Emma Radacanu 

Francis Albert

Well done Emma our local girl from Bromley. Quite astonishing performance. I loved the way after her opponent failed to congratulate or even mention her opponent Emma's first words were to congratulate her opponent  and gave her a few more mentions. Class act on and off the court.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

They do look like a bunch of chicas from the cuidades perdidas...LOL

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Why are US sportsfans such dicks?

Let me look up irony in the dictionary. :facepalm:

Well done Emma. Only saw brief highlight but she looks a good, composed player. Now we'll have to suffer wall to wall uber union jackery! Enough of it with Asher-Smith who's not that good against the best.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Well done Emma our local girl from Bromley. Quite astonishing performance. I loved the way after her opponent failed to congratulate or even mention her opponent Emma's first words were to congratulate her opponent  and gave her a few more mentions. Class act on and off the court.

Eh ! You must have been watching another channel then 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Can tell Radacanu isn’t 100% British to be honest, she didn’t make a complete ***** of things.

:lol:

Fairytale stuff.

First qualifier to win a grand slam, never dropped a set, didn't even have to play a tie-break.

The sky's the limit.

Fernandes had a great tournament too.

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Let me look up irony in the dictionary. :facepalm:

Oh FFS - too many people on here are judgemental and utterly humourless...You going to complain I was typing comments when she was serving next? Did you even see the one who made up like a Mexican hooker from a drugs movie?

Edited by Spellczech

It's easy to see she has changed her life

There will be one or two UK journalists and TV commentators (never mind the LTA) who say a silent little prayer tonight as well.....just as the Murray era comes to it's close a new star comes of age

The story is truly amazing given 3 months ago she was sitting her A levels

ps the bet holder who has now won £30,000 for his £200 win bet will also be smiling !!!

5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Can tell Radacanu isn’t 100% British to be honest, she didn’t make a complete ***** of things.

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Well done Emma. Only saw brief highlight but she looks a good, composed player. Now we'll have to suffer wall to wall uber union jackery! Enough of it with Asher-Smith who's not that good against the best.

She does say she gets her single minded winning attitude from her Mum. 

From the Sun

Raducanu then suffered a late cut to her left leg when stretching for a Fernandez shot on the backhand side.

That forced her to take a medical time out, much to the disgust of her opponent who was in tears as she felt she had the momentum.

The kind of tears your spoilt child might have when they can't get yet another toy.

🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

From the Sun

Raducanu then suffered a late cut to her left leg when stretching for a Fernandez shot on the backhand side.

That forced her to take a medical time out, much to the disgust of her opponent who was in tears as she felt she had the momentum.

The kind of tears your spoilt child might have when they can't get yet another toy.

🤣🤣🤣

Come on it’s the sun ! “ disgust “ ? More like “ frustration “ or “ disappointing “ I’d say . She was hardly going mental like Serena can 😃 totally inaccurate 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Sorry I missed that.

Don’t apologise to me it’s Fernandez you dissed really . 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Come on it’s the sun ! “ disgust “ ? More like “ frustration “ or “ disappointing “ I’d say . She was hardly going mental like Serena can 😃 totally inaccurate 

The petted lip was in full view. 🤣

Just now, neilnunb said:

The petted lip was in full view. 🤣

She’s 19 ! Nearly won a grand slam I’m sure your mush would be tripping you too 🥸

28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Her first pro win. Dont think we will ever see that repeated. 10matches 10 straight sets wins , that was really the first time since her second qualifying match that she has gone to 4 i think. First qualifier to win through , first obvs to win and that was an iconic match for so many reasons tonight. Absolutely unbelievable performance from both and their speeches at the end 👌🏻

jack D and coke
29 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

She struck me as one of those people who sort of takes this stuff in her stride. Some people just know they’re good and dont really make you feel nervous that they’re not going to get there. It was never in doubt at all imo. 
She could seriously dominate. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

She’s 19 ! Nearly won a grand slam I’m sure your mush would be tripping you too 🥸

Might stay that way too unless she can get a handle on it. I'm sure she will in time.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Her first pro win. Dont think we will ever see that repeated. 10matches 10 straight sets wins , that was really the first time since her second qualifying match that she has gone to 4 i think. First qualifier to win through , first obvs to win and that was an iconic match for so many reasons tonight. Absolutely unbelievable performance from both and their speeches at the end 👌🏻

All good but sorry to be a Debbie downer now but the pressure starts now for her as she will now be expected to win matches against any players now. And ofcourse she probably will but the pressure anc expectation will now begin 

Fernandez's speech did feel a wee bit sycophantic and forced but maybe I'm just being horribly cynical.

She composed herself really well after losing the rag a bit with the timeout.

Didn't seem to be any bad blood (!) between the players.

Great match - Raducanu is already a superstar.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Might stay that way too unless she can get a handle on it. I'm sure she will in time.

There’s been a few huffy players in tennis . It’s nothing new . My favourite huffy player was Martina Hingis ! She was a right moody so and so and played the best ever tennis shot in a grand slam ( the underarm serve at the French open against misery guts Graf ) fabulously petulant . She’s now a happy married women and got a kid snd regularly posts about her life on social media . Looks like she has outgrown her moody coo stage 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

All good but sorry to be a Debbie downer now but the pressure starts now for her as she will now be expected to win matches against any players now. And ofcourse she probably will but the pressure anc expectation will now begin 

I don’t think I’ve seen a female player hit the ball that hard. Both players hit some great shots tbf but Radacanu I was really impressed. I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t dominate the women’s game. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t think I’ve seen a female player hit the ball that hard. Both players hit some great shots tbf but Radacanu I was really impressed. I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t dominate the women’s game. 

Eh ? Monica Seles ? Serena Williams ? 

34 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Oh FFS - too many people on here are judgemental and utterly humourless...You going to complain I was typing comments when she was serving next? Did you even see the one who made up like a Mexican hooker from a drugs movie?

Nothing to do with humour and nothing to do with a person's appearance.

Irony is when a a poster makes a dickish comment and then calls other people dicks. 

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Eh ? Monica Seles ? Serena Williams ? 

I don’t think they hit is as hard as Radacanu does. It’s only my opinion though man👍🏼

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t think they hit is as hard as Radacanu does. It’s only my opinion though man👍🏼

There have been loads of players who fair whack the ball just as much or even harder than her IMO 

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

There have been loads of players who fair whack the ball just as much or even harder than her IMO 

Yeah fair enough. You’re more into the tennis than me👍🏼

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah fair enough. You’re more into the tennis than me👍🏼

She does whack it but it’s hers accuracy and placing of the ball which impressed me tonight 😎👍

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

She does whack it but it’s hers accuracy and placing of the ball which impressed me tonight 😎👍

Mate I don’t watch an awful lot of women’s sports never mind tennis but I was so impressed with her. Accuracy, she has power and calm as. So impressed with her. 
Who was the dick slating her after Wimbledon was it Piers Morgan? 

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Mate I don’t watch an awful lot of women’s sports never mind tennis but I was so impressed with her. Accuracy, she has power and calm as. So impressed with her. 
Who was the dick slating her after Wimbledon was it Piers Morgan? 

Well I don’t know exactly what he said as I can’t stand him so never read any news items about him . How ever u think he had said she bottled it ( choked ) it once she got to last 16 or d at something like that at Wimbledon 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well I don’t know exactly what he said as I can’t stand him so never read any news items about him . How ever u think he had said she bottled it ( choked ) it once she got to last 16 or d at something like that at Wimbledon 

Aye sure it was him. Marcus Rashford stuck up for her saying the same thing had happened to him when he was young, some panic attack or something.

A huge GIRUY to that knob end Morgan then. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I bet neither of those young plague rats have been vaccinated :(

as a punishment for their selfishness there should be a count-back and the trophies awarded to the first two vaccinated losers

shame cos I thought they were both brilliant and an absolute credit to themselves (and “their teams”) with leylahs mini-meltdown understandable and excusable  :)

24 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I bet neither of those young plague rats have been vaccinated :(

as a punishment for their selfishness there should be a count-back and the trophies awarded to the first two vaccinated losers

shame cos I thought they were both brilliant and an absolute credit to themselves (and “their teams”) with leylahs mini-meltdown understandable and excusable  :)

Good post 😂

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye sure it was him. Marcus Rashford stuck up for her saying the same thing had happened to him when he was young, some panic attack or something.

A huge GIRUY to that knob end Morgan then. 

Yes he’s a complete prick 

55 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nothing to do with humour and nothing to do with a person's appearance.

Irony is when a a poster makes a dickish comment and then calls other people dicks. 

Yeah but you came late to the party - so you are judging without context. Who are you to say something is dickish or not, you arrogant sod?

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )