Romanov Interview - Article on BBC website

sked21

Hmm. One question. If that was the owner of any other club, what would be your response if they came out with what he did? Actually, let's rephrase that: if that had been the owner of Hibs, how do you think you'd have reacted?

As the previous poster pointed out, how many other owners would be interesting to the media anyway? He only gets air time because he's an eccentric and today, he was rather less kooky than we've known him to be in the past.

They wouldn't be remotely interested in speaking to STF either, everyone knows he couldn't give a monkeys about football related matters. Speaking of Sir Tom though...it wasn't actually all that long ago that he too mentioned that he'd sell if the right offer came along. Not that it matters, just thought it was worth mentioning....

Boaby Ewing

He's a crazy wee *******.

But like a Telford student, he's got potential.

shaun.lawson
The media aren't really interested in what any other club owner has to say. Romanov is a character and is entitled to his opinions, which from where I am sitting pretty much match my interpretation of Scottish football.

It seems to me that fans on Kickback are too quick to find negatives, typical of the noisy minority. It also seems to me that the angry mob on here are more concerned with what other people have to say about Hearts than they actually are in HMFC. I find it all pretty sad, but ultimately I am reassured by the fact that the angry mob never numbers much more than about 200. As it stands that is a very small number out of 9,000 season ticket holders.

I think it is just as well that the vast majority of Hearts fans take a more sensible, informed, pragmatic and mature attitude. At the end of the day, unless we were about to go into administration I doubt if the angry mob will ever increase in number. Even when Robinson was selling Tynecastle all the bluster from the usual suspects on here didn't change anything did it?!

Yes, very true. I still look back in shock that more people didn't get involved, to be honest: it's hard to imagine a more drastic scenario than the one we were faced with. That said though, those people very unhappy at the current state of things clearly number at least 2000 (the approx fall in ST sales from last year), and although I found the interview generally nauseating, you won't find me as part of any 'angry mob'.

shaun.lawson
As the previous poster pointed out, how many other owners would be interesting to the media anyway? He only gets air time because he's an eccentric and today, he was rather less kooky than we've known him to be in the past.

They wouldn't be remotely interested in speaking to STF either, everyone knows he couldn't give a monkeys about football related matters. Speaking of Sir Tom though...it wasn't actually all that long ago that he too mentioned that he'd sell if the right offer came along. Not that it matters, just thought it was worth mentioning....

It's just that, well, when putting ourselves across on behalf of or as a representative of something, you and I know how to be sensible and moderate, and hopefully leave a good impression of ourselves and the people we represent. Standard business practice, basically. But imagine if any of us were ever in a position to do a public BBC interview in which we behaved as Vlad always does: I doubt our feet would touch the ground given the rollicking we'd get on here and in the press, and frankly, rightly so too.

It's the impression he gives of the whole club that makes me cringe: that's what makes us a laughing stock to fans across the UK. And while some on here might like the idea of "no-one likes us, we don't care", I don't think HMFC has ever been as notorious as now - and, to repeat a point I made earlier, it's made Romanov a joke within the Edinburgh business community as well. That's what I've always found so bizarre about his behaviour: you'd think, surely, that he'd want to make connections and so on given the stadium redevelopment plans, but anything but, it would appear!

It's just that, well, when putting ourselves across on behalf of or as a representative of something, you and I know how to be sensible and moderate, and hopefully leave a good impression of ourselves and the people we represent. Standard business practice, basically. But imagine if any of us were ever in a position to do a public BBC interview in which we behaved as Vlad always does: I doubt our feet would touch the ground given the rollicking we'd get on here and in the press, and frankly, rightly so too.

It's the impression he gives of the whole club that makes me cringe: that's what makes us a laughing stock to fans across the UK. And while some on here might like the idea of "no-one likes us, we don't care", I don't think HMFC has ever been as notorious as now - and, to repeat a point I made earlier, it's made Romanov a joke within the Edinburgh business community as well. That's what I've always found so bizarre about his behaviour: you'd think, surely, that he'd want to make connections and so on given the stadium redevelopment plans, but anything but, it would appear!

Aha, that's where I have to disagree with you Shaun. It hasn't made him a laughing stock within the business community at all...he's still very well 'received' in those circles. You'll be hard pushed to find many at the city chambers who will admit to knowing what the offside rule is though, so that might have something to do with it.

Other than that, yes...I know what you mean. But I find him quite refreshing sometimes and despite recent behaviour and the fact that he has given me ridiculously high blood pressure for someone of my young(ish) age, I can't help but quite like the mad old basket. Maybe that's the sort of behaviour you can get away with when a). you've made your money and B). you don't give two hoots what anyone thinks of you. It would be nice if he could be a little more careful with the timing, the kooky stuff isn't really always appropriate...but overall, I think I'd rather he remained as he is. I don't really get embarrassed by him, but then I really don't care what other fans have to say about Hearts. Not at all.

shaun.lawson
Aha, that's where I have to disagree with you Shaun. It hasn't made him a laughing stock within the business community at all...he's still very well 'received' in those circles. You'll be hard pushed to find many at the city chambers who will admit to knowing what the offside rule is though, so that might have something to do with it.

Other than that, yes...I know what you mean. But I find him quite refreshing sometimes and despite recent behaviour and the fact that he has given me ridiculously high blood pressure for someone of my young(ish) age, I can't help but quite like the mad old basket. Maybe that's the sort of behaviour you can get away with when a). you've made your money and B). you don't give two hoots what anyone thinks of you. It would be nice if he could be a little more careful with the timing, the kooky stuff isn't really always appropriate...but overall, I think I'd rather he remained as he is. I don't really get embarrassed by him, but then I really don't care what other fans have to say about Hearts. Not at all.

That's not what I've been told... :033:

And is there not the teeniest little double standard in us hitting the roof whenever a fans' rep isn't extremely diplomatic and conciliatory in their dealings with him, while celebrating him as a breath of fresh air?

Well the media yet again are going to have a feild day with this,why does he always have to harp on about the old firm,we have known for decades that the refs favour the old firm we dont need him to tell us that YET AGAIN

Commander Harris

His eccentric interviews are not the problem. If Hearts had been consistently successful since he took over and we were flying high I suspect no one would give two hoots if he gave an interview like that.

shaun.lawson
His eccentric interviews are not the problem. If Hearts had been consistently successful since he took over and we were flying high I suspect no one would give two hoots if he gave an interview like that.

I'd say his eccentric interviews are just a small symptom of why we haven't been consistently successful since he took over, though.

Commander Harris
I'd say his eccentric interviews are just a small symptom of why we haven't been consistently successful since he took over, though.

perhaps, doesn't negate my point though. unless you are suggesting some kind of causal relationship between daft interviews and a **** team? (which I'm pretty sure you're not)

shaun.lawson
perhaps, doesn't negate my point though. unless you are suggesting some kind of causal relationship between daft interviews and a **** team? (which I'm pretty sure you're not)

No. But I think there may well be a casual relationship between someone who clearly believes this rubbish and his inability to develop a successful team.

PS. You know, whenever I see your signature, I can't stop laughing!

Generic Username

Does he not say words to the effect that he understands what it takes now to be successful in football in Scotland?

An admission of his wrong doings and him sticking to the straight and narrow from now on perhaps.

Commander Harris
No. But I think there may well be a casual relationship between someone who clearly believes this rubbish and his inability to develop a successful team.

PS. You know, whenever I see your signature, I can't stop laughing!

I don't necessarily disagree. I suppose in my mind I was more thinking about his eccentric traits and how he comes over in interview generally - frog poetry, his apparent disregard for the interviewer etc rather than the specific content of what he said.

so I imagine we are in agreement, if he had a clue and talked sense about football he could recite all the frog poetry he wanted. :)

Re my sig: cheers! I'm actually going to buy a gnome to celebrate if (is "when" too optimistic?) we get a manager. :)

shaun.lawson
Does he not say words to the effect that he understands what it takes now to be successful in football in Scotland?

An admission of his wrong doings and him sticking to the straight and narrow from now on perhaps.

I'd luv it if that happens, luv it. But you'll forgive me, I hope, if I don't hold my breath.

shaun.lawson
I don't necessarily disagree. I suppose in my mind I was more thinking about his eccentric traits and how he comes over in interview generally - frog poetry, his apparent disregard for the interviewer etc rather than the specific content of what he said.

so I imagine we are in agreement, if he had a clue and talked sense about football he could recite all the frog poetry he wanted. :)

Re my sig: cheers! I'm actually going to buy a gnome to celebrate if (is "when" too optimistic?) we get a manager. :)

A few years back, a former Russian Foreign Minister came to speak at the university I was studying at. While he certainly didn't share Vlad's fondness for poetry and so on, what was incredibly striking was his complete inability to answer a question. In his case, he literally rambled on for 15 minutes about nothing in particular, probably out of a desire to bore his audience senseless; in Vlad's, I think it's a mixture of Mourinho-style diversionary tactics and his not being brought up in an open society either.

I wonder if there are any other people in Russian or Lithuanian business who are like VR? You never know: it's perfectly possible. I still think he's a lunatic, mind you - though if he was a benign, harmless one, I'd just laugh along at what he says instead of cringing.

China sounded like his preferred option.

Big, big market and no worries about club history, planning comittees, meddling media or league administrators ect.

Hinted at wee, less physical players./ less physical game Good place to punt big hiefers of journeymen and get results.

Watch this space

Geoff Kilpatrick
China sounded like his preferred option.

Big, big market and no worries about club history, planning comittees, meddling media or league administrators ect.

Hinted at wee, less physical players./ less physical game Good place to punt big hiefers of journeymen and get results.

Watch this space

Chinese players have a great record in Scotland. Remember Du Wei at Celtic!!

Generic Username
I'd luv it if that happens, luv it. But you'll forgive me, I hope, if I don't hold my breath.

I'm of the exact same mind set Shaun.

It's all fine and well saying these things but we're all waiting for evidence of it in action before getting our hopes up.

Stranger things have happened but as always it's a wait and see scenario with Hearts & Romanov.

I think a heady mix of light Chinese players who help someone up after a tackle and don't jump on Miko's back will win the league so long as Rangers and Celtic don't have a bigger budget than everyone else, and the Hearts manager isn't part of the local mafia which doesn't try to win games - that will sort out the title for us.

Nothing has changed.

:crash2:

Charlie-Brown
Chinese players have a great record in Scotland. Remember Du Wei at Celtic!!

You can never make informed judgements based on a sample-size of only one, going by that logic we would all be signing Japanese players to score match winning free kicks. :)

Drylaw Hearts

From todays Scotsman :

Former Hearts chairman George Foulkes reacted to Romanov's re-emergence with surprise. "The whole thing is bizarre, and the number of contradictions are piling up," said Foulkes. "First of all, we were told Mr Romanov didn't want to speak to the media, then all of a sudden he speaks.

"The club spent five months pursuing a Scottish manager, then we hear that it is apparently impossible to hire such a person. Supporters must be perplexed when hearing such mixed messages.

"Comments regarding a Scottish mafia make the club look a laughing stock."

And when you add this :

Romanov also said that he has no intention of quitting the club ? but would be willing to listen to offers if the price was right.

VR's head is full of broken motorbikes.

Generic Username
I think a heady mix of light Chinese players who help someone up after a tackle and don't jump on Miko's back will win the league so long as Rangers and Celtic don't have a bigger budget than everyone else, and the Hearts manager isn't part of the local mafia which doesn't try to win games - that will sort out the title for us.

Nothing has changed.

:crash2:

Um....

What?

jambos are go!

When have we ever been consistently successful? One 1 SC in 3 years is way above average!

jambos are go!
A few years back, a former Russian Foreign Minister came to speak at the university I was studying at. While he certainly didn't share Vlad's fondness for poetry and so on, what was incredibly striking was his complete inability to answer a question. In his case, he literally rambled on for 15 minutes about nothing in particular, probably out of a desire to bore his audience senseless; in Vlad's, I think it's a mixture of Mourinho-style diversionary tactics and his not being brought up in an open society either.

I wonder if there are any other people in Russian or Lithuanian business who are like VR? You never know: it's perfectly possible. I still think he's a lunatic, mind you - though if he was a benign, harmless one, I'd just laugh along at what he says instead of cringing.

So your not to keen on Russians or Russia generally. Explains a lot!

ArmiyaRomanova
It's a transcript of what Romanov said in the interview.:)

Might be what some journo has written down (or your flippant spin on it) but it's not what he said.

Might be what some journo has written down, but it's not what he said.

Dear oh dear. It was my attempt at a slightly humorous take on what VR said. :sad:

ArmiyaRomanova
Dear oh dear. It was my attempt at a slightly humorous take on what VR said. :sad:

Maybe my bad. Humour's been in desperately short supply on here of late, and I don't look out for it any more.

My bad. Humour's been in desperately short supply on here of late, and I don't look out for it any more.

:Agree:

The Real Maroonblood
From todays Scotsman :

And when you add this :

VR's head is full of broken motorbikes.

Romanov the complete headcase.

lambojambo

I did not see the interview and I can only comment on what was contained in the BBC sport article.

Frankly I agree with 99% of the comments Vlad made!

ArmiyaRomanova
I did not see the interview and I can only comment on what was contained in the BBC sport article.

Frankly I agree with 99% of the comments Vlad made!

I listened to the interview, and so do I - and I'm left, as ever, pondering the agenda of those who are glibly happy to call him 'mad'.

I listened to the interview, and so do I - and I'm left, as ever, pondering the agenda of those who are glibly happy to call him 'mad'.

Mmm.

And the more I hear from George Foulkes, the more irritated I'm getting by his blatant attempts at crowd pleasing. His latest comments just make him sound like a catty old so and so.

I don't think Vladimir plays into the media's hands half as much as the fans do...as demonstrated by the OTT reactions to this interview. How predictably scathing.

As others have hinted, the translator hesitated quite a bit as if to decide what to say and what not to say... and Vlad certainly interrupted his flow several times to elaborate on his answers, so he understands English.

Is there not some good Liths or Russian friends on here who might listen to the interview and give us some word for word translations of some of it at least?

I just get the feeling the old chestnut of `lost in translation' is happening here.

shaun.lawson
When have we ever been consistently successful? One 1 SC in 3 years is way above average!

And our worst finish in 25 years - on far and away the third largest budget - is way below average.

shaun.lawson
So your not to keen on Russians or Russia generally. Explains a lot!

Er, no. I mentioned an anecdote about the enormous difficulties of getting many Russian businessmen or politicians to answer a straight question - which again could be seen in the interview.

shaun.lawson
Mmm.

And the more I hear from George Foulkes, the more irritated I'm getting by his blatant attempts at crowd pleasing. His latest comments just make him sound like a catty old so and so.

I don't think Vladimir plays into the media's hands half as much as the fans do...as demonstrated by the OTT reactions to this interview. How predictably scathing.

See, there it is again. Foulkes, to whom I remain enormously grateful for the role he played in getting rid of Robinson and, indeed, bringing in Romanov, just talked basic common sense in the piece you've just slagged him for. Thank God there are people out there willing to publicly call this for what it is: Vlad making bizarre excuses, seeking as ever to put the blame on anyone bar himself, consistently failing to take responsibility - oh, and don't forget his hanging Frail out to dry too.

Yet what do you do? You praise the man talking gobbledeegook, and put the boot into Foulkes instead. Bizarre! :wacko:

jambos are go!
Er, no. I mentioned an anecdote about the enormous difficulties of getting many Russian businessmen or politicians to answer a straight question - which again could be seen in the interview.

More anti Russian propaganda. When you are in a hole stop digging!!!

shaun.lawson

It's not 'propaganda', jambos are go: it's cultural! If someone grows up in a closed society, do you think they're more or less likely to give simple, straight answers when questioned about things? Heck, Russia is arguably not even a fully open society even now.

I'm not even slagging Vlad for this: it's normal, and many of his compatriots do it too. If you want to label that as 'anti-Russian', that's your problem, not mine.

Guest JamboRobbo

aye, we'd be fine if it wasn't for all these racist Hearts fans eh. Killing this club every day so they are. :rolleyes:

jambos are go!
And our worst finish in 25 years - on far and away the third largest budget - is way below average.

What is the average for winning the SC? Once in nearly 20 years? During most of our history with maximum wages and lower transfer fees our budget on players was much nearer the OF. Disagree?

shaun.lawson
What is the average for winning the SC? Once in nearly 20 years? During most of our history with maximum wages and lower transfer fees our budget on players was much nearer the OF. Disagree?

I haven't got a clue about that one: there are no documented figures about wage bills at the time. But the modern era started in 1986, intensified in 1995, and intensified still further in 2000. In '86, Rangers began the process of making themselves unchallengable; in '95, Celtic started doing the same thing; and in '00, caught and went past Rangers, who remained way ahead of the rest of us.

Challenging the top two over any kind of consistent period is, clearly, unfeasible. What happened in Vlad's first full year was remarkable - though it was also done in the context of the worst Rangers side in 20 years. Since then, we've fallen way behind them again - about which, no big deal. But what is infinitely more alarming is not to have remained clearly in 3rd, on a budget which has led to the club making huge losses (a budget that no non-OF club could normally afford).

On what we're spending, JAG, we're supposed to be qualifying for Europe every year and winning trophies now and again too. Instead, because in my opinion of Vlad's methods, we're not: indeed, we now find ourselves at our lowest ebb since being promoted back into the top flight.

Archived