VAR at the Euros.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

When Sterling went down against Robertson, I filled with dread.

Thankfully, the var ref didnt get involved.

Definite penalty I thought

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Definite penalty I thought

Funny we both typed it at the same time.

I think if reversed, we would have kicking up shit as to why var didnt get involved.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I felt we were lucky not to give a penalty away against England tbh

If that had gone to VAR it probably would have been awarded judging on how soft some of the penalties have been. Equally the one on McTominay in the Czech Republic game was no softer than that one. Either way, there is a real lack of consistency in the end results in terms of which challenges end up in penalty awards.

Overall the refereeing and use of VAR has been pretty good, compared to some of the ridiculous decisions we see week in and week out in the Premier League.  Nothing will ever be perfect, but in England, they appear not to recognise that fact, so will spend several minutes drawing lines on the pitch to determine whether a player's big toe was onside or offside.  If the situation is not a clear and obvious error, then go with the ref's decision.

Introduce a time limit for the VAR team, if they are still deliberating over a situation after 30-45 seconds, then it can't be clear and obvious.  Any decision that takes several minutes to arrive at is usually fairly contentious, so why not just accept the referee's view.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, RobNox said:

Overall the refereeing and use of VAR has been pretty good, compared to some of the ridiculous decisions we see week in and week out in the Premier League.  Nothing will ever be perfect, but in England, they appear not to recognise that fact, so will spend several minutes drawing lines on the pitch to determine whether a player's big toe was onside or offside.  If the situation is not a clear and obvious error, then go with the ref's decision.

Introduce a time limit for the VAR team, if they are still deliberating over a situation after 30-45 seconds, then it can't be clear and obvious.  Any decision that takes several minutes to arrive at is usually fairly contentious, so why not just accept the referee's view.

Well said.

I seen an offside the other day given as onside (original decision).

If the EPL used the still, they would have spent 4 miins trying to proove his upper arm was offside.

SectionDJambo
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

"Clear and obvious" doesn't seem to be a phrase that the EPL have in their heads when checking by VAR. As you say, they try to be far too precise. If an offside infringement can't be seen within the first few seconds of looking at a still picture, then it can't be clear and obvious. The benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking player, as it was supposed to up until quite recently.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, RobNox said:

I agree but offside is one where it is black and white. 

You're offside or you  aren't. 

Unlike cards, penalties etc which can be debated, offside is clear cut although when it comes to cm 's it's ridiculous. 

Offside isn't really a decision imo , you're either on or of, may be 1cm, may be 5ft but off is aff! 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Agreed. 

Like in rugby - ref calls his onfield decision. If he isn’t convinced by VAR he is wrong within 45 seconds or so, onfield decision sticks.

Also I think I am right in saying the VAR review process in the Euros has also been shown on the big screens like in rugby - anyone confirm? Puts pressure on ref not to be “swayed”.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Unlike cards, penalties etc which can be debated, offside is clear cut although when it comes to cm 's it's ridiculous. 

Offside isn't really a decision imo , you're either on or of, may be 1cm, may be 5ft but off is aff! 

Ffs tosh make your mind up.

Its black or white, off or on.

But then you start rambling.

You are effectively agreeing with the EPL  that they are correct in finding the player off or on.

1. Its impossible for the correct frame to be determined of when the ball was played.

2. Its a check to see if decision was wrong. If that cant be determined within 15 seconds , tje decision should stand.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

I used to think the same about offside, however, the technology isn't 100% with regards to when the ball was played etc.  A simple solution in some countries using VAR was to make the lines slightly wider and if the two lines merge then it's benefit to the attacker.  

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, TurboT said:

I used to think the same about offside, however, the technology isn't 100% with regards to when the ball was played etc.  A simple solution in some countries using VAR was to make the lines slightly wider and if the two lines merge then it's benefit to the attacker.  

Yip. 

Or if its less than a certain distance, ie 5cm, 10cm, then stop the check, go with the decision. 

It's an easy fix.