VAR at the Euros.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Agreed, it’s been very good - encouraging to see the Refs using the pitch side monitor and not VAR making the decision for them.

For the most part it's been good but they need a more consistent line on 'soft' penalties. The Wales penalty yesterday was very soft. It was basically the classic case of the defending player slightly sticking his leg out and the attacking player making sure he makes contact. The challenge on McTominay on Monday was a stronger claim IMO. I don't think either are penalties but if the Bale one is a penalty the McTominay one is a penalty all day long. I actually thought the Dutch one tonight was fairly soft too. The defender definitely catches the attacking player's foot but the attacker can easily stay on his feet. Also why wasn't the Dutch player who went down just before the penalty booked? It was a shocking dive. 

For penalties, it seems they are operating not on reviewing the incident as if seen for the first time. Rather assessing whether its a clear and obvious mistake. 

The Welsh penalty. Certainly the Mbappe penalty not given which looked like a clear penalty. 

VAR when done right is great.

Needs to be fast and accurate and so far this tournament it's been both.

The English FA don't really like it or want it, so they've made an erse of it in England on purpose.

That's my conclusion.

7 hours ago, stirlo said:

For the most part it's been good but they need a more consistent line on 'soft' penalties. The Wales penalty yesterday was very soft. It was basically the classic case of the defending player slightly sticking his leg out and the attacking player making sure he makes contact. The challenge on McTominay on Monday was a stronger claim IMO. I don't think either are penalties but if the Bale one is a penalty the McTominay one is a penalty all day long. I actually thought the Dutch one tonight was fairly soft too. The defender definitely catches the attacking player's foot but the attacker can easily stay on his feet. Also why wasn't the Dutch player who went down just before the penalty booked? It was a shocking dive. 

You don't need to fall for it to be foul. The Austrian boy stood on the Dutch lads foot. Penalty. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You don't need to fall for it to be foul. The Austrian boy stood on the Dutch lads foot. Penalty. 

Shouldn’t have been a penalty.

They  used VAR to come to that decision. VAR should have been used on the aforementioned dive, Dutch player booked for being a nob and therefore no penalty.

They got it wrong. 

BackOfTheNet

VAR isn’t the issue, it’s how it gets used. For instance in Copa America it’s not getting used very well, as we saw in the Premier League. Yet at the Euros and other leagues (like in Germany) it’s used very well. Never 100% satisfied with every decision, but overall much fairer for the game and not impacting as much. They allow for human error (such as not raising a flag too early in case they misjudged with the human eye) but can correct if need be. By all means have a go at the way it’s implemented or the rules in place (such as Chiellini’s goal being disallowed for handball - thems the rules though) but the concept of technology being used to see if rules have been implemented correctly is a positive one. Euros showing how it should be done. Problem with Chiellini’s goal being chopped off? Not VAR’s fault, but the laws of the game.

hmfc_liam06
47 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Thought Chiellini disallowed goal was very poor

That's the one I come on to mention. Totally accidental and was hitting the Swiss guys shoulder anyway.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Accidental handball is no longer deemed to prevent a goal in a law change starting now, unless it is by the person that scores it seems.

Byyy The Light
57 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

VAR isn’t the issue, it’s how it gets used. For instance in Copa America it’s not getting used very well, as we saw in the Premier League. Yet at the Euros and other leagues (like in Germany) it’s used very well. Never 100% satisfied with every decision, but overall much fairer for the game and not impacting as much. They allow for human error (such as not raising a flag too early in case they misjudged with the human eye) but can correct if need be. By all means have a go at the way it’s implemented or the rules in place (such as Chiellini’s goal being disallowed for handball - thems the rules though) but the concept of technology being used to see if rules have been implemented correctly is a positive one. Euros showing how it should be done. Problem with Chiellini’s goal being chopped off? Not VAR’s fault, but the laws of the game.

Can you explain this?  If it was the Swiss players arm that was bashed on to the ball in that stramash would it have been given as a penalty?

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Can you explain this?  If it was the Swiss players arm that was bashed on to the ball in that stramash would it have been given as a penalty?

The rule (as far as I’m aware) is that if it hits the players hand in the immediate moments before a goal then it cannot be given. But the rule is only specified to the attacking player as it relates to a goal. The defensive player hand ball rule is the one that talks about unnatural position and takes into account the shirt sleeve area.

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Essentially that wasn't a VAR decision.  The rules now state that ANY handball in the immediate lead up a a goal scored means the goal must be disallowed, even it it's accidental.  It's deemed to have given an unfair advantage to the attacking team.

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Rudi v Gretna.

Byyy The Light
36 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The rule (as far as I’m aware) is that if it hits the players hand in the immediate moments before a goal then it cannot be given. But the rule is only specified to the attacking player as it relates to a goal. The defensive player hand ball rule is the one that talks about unnatural position and takes into account the shirt sleeve area.

34 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Essentially that wasn't a VAR decision.  The rules now state that ANY handball in the immediate lead up a a goal scored means the goal must be disallowed, even it it's accidental.  It's deemed to have given an unfair advantage to the attacking team.

Thanks. Wasn't aware that it only affects the attacking player.  So much for encouraging excitement and goals!  Essentially defenders can stop goals with their hands but attackers get penalised for the same thing.

What would happen in the scenario where a defender stops a goal with his hand, boots the ball clear and a player then scores at the other end (Czech style)?

35 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Thanks. Wasn't aware that it only affects the attacking player.  So much for encouraging excitement and goals!  Essentially defenders can stop goals with their hands but attackers get penalised for the same thing.

What would happen in the scenario where a defender stops a goal with his hand, boots the ball clear and a player then scores at the other end (Czech style)?

Red card for the defender and a penalty. 

Spitonastranger

Slightly different, but players diving knowing VAR will look at it. A couple of obvious ones yesterday, correctly called by the ref, but why dive when you know it will be checked and there is no contact. 

Smoked-Glass
11 hours ago, Cade said:

The English FA don't really like it or want it, so they've made an erse of it in England on purpose.

That's my conclusion.

No one wants it

King Of The Cat Cafe
4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I'm still raging about the penalty given against Berra in the SC final.

It has indeed been good, helped in no small part by the new approach to handball decisions.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It has indeed been good, helped in no small part by the new approach to handball decisions.

Yes it has been but the obvious mistakes in the Premier League last season were due to poor interpretation by unknown individuals.  UEFA using decent officials to view VAR.  VAR should be much better next season.

August Landmesser

Croatia game shows you can have all the VAR you like, but sometimes refs just make mistakes (or are just shite). Not a pen for me Clive.

So you've got the delay and confusion whilst the VAR folk and the ref watch a telly, followed by a shite/incorrect decision.

Get it in the bin.

Slow motion always makes contact look worse than it does at full speed.

Laddie did end up with a burst coupon and that contact was inside the box.

They started a few years ago punishing accidental elbows. 

Red cards then downgraded to yellows. Its not surprising its decided it's a foul. 

The Hogfather
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Scottish refs need VAR, they need help for most decisions.

No they don't. Imagine how many more penalties and dodgy decisions will go in favour of the Old Firm.

No thank you.

Fozzyonthefence

It’s been, on the whole, very good. In comparison to a season in the English Premier League where it literally ruined the game for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s been, on the whole, very good. In comparison to a season in the English Premier League where it literally ruined the game for everyone. 

Agreed. Been used sparingly and correctly at this tournament.

On 17/06/2021 at 23:15, Cade said:

That's my conclusion.

Is it not down to the way their ex-ref implemented it? Tried to have it doing everything straight from the off...

August Landmesser
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

They started a few years ago punishing accidental elbows. 

Red cards then downgraded to yellows. Its not surprising its decided it's a foul. 

Was watching the Aussie football this morning, very similar challenge in the box; defender jumps, accidentally elbows the striker in the head, VAR review, no penalty, no booking, play-on. Sensible, but makes the Czech one all the more ludicrous

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Is it not down to the way their ex-ref implemented it? Tried to have it doing everything straight from the off...

it seemed like in england they wanted it to cause problems so they could say look it does not work and bin it

Terrible VAR decision in the Spain Poland game with the polish player standing on a Spanish players foot but in no way impacted the cross by the Spanish player. Luckily justice was done with the penalty missed.

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Terrible VAR decision in the Spain Poland game with the polish player standing on a Spanish players foot but in no way impacted the cross by the Spanish player. Luckily justice was done with the penalty missed.

It's a penalty all day long. 

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's a penalty all day long. 

Not for me, accidental contact that had zero impact on the play.

Smoked-Glass
On 18/06/2021 at 09:25, BackOfTheNet said:

Correct. You can't gain an advantage of a goal by using your hand accidentally - but you shouldn't be punished with a penalty for the same thing when defending (i.e. having the ball blasted off you) 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Not for me, accidental contact that had zero impact on the play.

Or me. Ball was long gone when the contact was made. A bit of ye olde common sense might be worth a try.

On 19/06/2021 at 00:41, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yup, VAR, great till the SFA / SPFL get they’re hands on it.😒

Smoked-Glass
6 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Yup, VAR, great till the SFA / SPFL get they’re hands on it.😒

Or David blunkett... 

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Or David blunkett... 

😂😂truth be told he would do a better job than our illustrious refs👍

11 hours ago, Ribble said:

There have been too many soft penalties awarded in this competition. The problem is probably as much the interpretation of the rules as VAR. I just don't think most football fans would want to see a penalty given for the type of incident in the game last night. As you point out, the challenge by the Polish defender has virtually no impact whatsoever on the play. 

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, stirlo said:

There have been too many soft penalties awarded in this competition. The problem is probably as much the interpretation of the rules as VAR. I just don't think most football fans would want to see a penalty given for the type of incident in the game last night. As you point out, the challenge by the Polish defender has virtually no impact whatsoever on the play. 

I felt we were lucky not to give a penalty away against England tbh