Boris marries Carrie!

Don Dan

Auldbenches
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Whodathunk Johnson and Rees Mogg would be staunch sellic men...

Rees Mogg is against abortion etc and says he has to bring his faith into his politics.  The bible also says a fair bit about poverty but he doesn't give a shite about that.  

Compared to Blair, Boris deserves respect for declaring that he is catholic, Blair waited until a day after he retired.   

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SwindonJambo

• ri Alban

• jack D and coke

• Auldbenches

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Rees Mogg is against abortion etc and says he has to bring his faith into his politics.  The bible also says a fair bit about poverty but he doesn't give a shite about that.  

Compared to Blair, Boris deserves respect for declaring that he is catholic, Blair waited until a day after he retired.   

Aye I was sure Blair was a catholic too knew I hadn’t imagined that. Scary having catholic’s in charge I mean NS is supposed to be one. Or a Celtic fan🤷🏽‍♂️
Can they be trusted...

Auldbenches
Just now, jack D and coke said:

Aye I was sure Blair was a catholic too knew I hadn’t imagined that. Scary having catholic’s in charge I mean NS is supposed to be one. Or a Celtic fan🤷🏽‍♂️
Can they be trusted...

I think Blair's conscience maybe got to him after Iraq and this is him playing it safe incase there is an after life.  It won't be because of all the deaths he caused. 

He does look haunted when you see him now.  Tough!  

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I think Blair's conscience maybe got to him after Iraq and this is him playing it safe incase there is an after life.  It won't be because of all the deaths he caused. 

Blair converted, did he not. 

jack D and coke

He did say God told him to do it. Blaming the big man upstairs :lol: 

Religion man...ffs. 

Auldbenches
Just now, ri Alban said:

Blair converted, did he not. 

About a day after he resigned.  Says more about Westminster than him if he felt it was too much trouble to do it while in office.   Though Boris being one has shown no ones bothered.   Well...

Auldbenches
7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He did say God told him to do it. Blaming the big man upstairs :lol: 

Religion man...ffs. 

It was Dubya who said he had also spoken to god about it  lol  

Speak to yourself and your are seen as mad.  Speak to God and it's alright?  Who knows you better..? 

I hope we ban that shite when we get independence.  

I live in the west coast in a town that is still quite Presbyterian and this sums them up. 

An old guy I know goes to a local church on a Thursday for a prayer group.  The men go in one room and the women in another because they aren't allowed to pray together.  

But afterwards the men happily eat the sandwiches the women have made. 

How weird and warped? 

Edited by Auldbenches

3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Speak to yourself and your are seen as mad.  Speak to God and it's alright?  Who knows you better..? 

I live in the west coast in a town that is still quite Presbyterian and this sums them up. 

An old guy I know goes to a local church on a Thursday for a prayer group.  The men go in one room and the women in another because they aren't allowed to pray together.  

How weird and warped? 

Has to be Ayrshire or East Dumbarton. 

jack D and coke

I lon the west coast ina town that is still quite Presbyterian and this sums them up. 

How weird and warped? 

Makes you scratch your heed that’s for sure :lol: 

SwindonJambo
22 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

How weird and warped? 

I'm from the West (South Lanarkshire) and that sort of shite is the biggest reason I am profoundly atheist. Organised religion is merely a powerful tool to control the insecure and easily led. Most are actually quite misogynistic, as your example illustrates.  All utter bollocks. Imho.

It's perfectly possible to be a decent person with sound morals but no faith.  Religion and morals are 2 completely different things.

Nowt wrong with having personal faith.

Organised religion is the problem. That's when you let someone else do your thinking for you.

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Nowt wrong with having personal faith.

Organised religion is the problem. That's when you let someone else do your thinking for you.

It's certainly a lot less bad if it's a personal thing and you keep it to yourself.

Ceding to Group think on politics, religion or anything else is seriously unhealthy.

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

The Catholic Church doesn’t allow divorcees to marry in their buildings / into their faith but allowed Bojo to because his two previous marriages took place in non-catholic buildings 😂

Religion is ****ed up and I can’t wait for it to die out. 

It's not too keen on abortion either and Johnson has paid for at least one of those.

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's not too keen on abortion either and Johnson has paid for at least one of those.

😳🤪😳

Hadn't heard that. I do believe he got some fancy woman up the duff when he was London Mayor and she had a daughter. 

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

😳🤪😳

Hadn't heard that. I do believe he got some fancy woman up the duff when he was London Mayor and she had a daughter. 

Him lying about the abortion (the "inverted pyramid of piffle" lie) was what led to Michael Howard sacking him.

He's also spoken out in favour of allowing abortions during the leadership campaign.

I'm very surprised that the Catholic church has turned a blind eye to this (and everything else about him). Perhaps he went to confession.

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Him lying about the abortion (the "inverted pyramid of piffle" lie) was what led to Michael Howard sacking him.

He's also spoken out in favour of allowing abortions during the leadership campaign.

I'm very surprised that the Catholic church has turned a blind eye to this (and everything else about him). Perhaps he went to confession.

Ah yes, good old confession. So you can go out and hump whomever you like but as long as you've got a wee slot in confession booked in afterwards everything's  alright then 😉 ? Sound!

I've just read up on the sacking by Howard. The man is a truly shameless inveterate liar yet he has such a slavish cult like following down here that he gets away with it. Very weak and divided oppo helps him too. He has created an open goal for the oppo to attack him but because they're so ineffectual, they Van Vossen/Bratbaak the ball over the bar from 3 feet every time.

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm from the West (South Lanarkshire) and that sort of shite is the biggest reason I am profoundly atheist. Organised religion is merely a powerful tool to control the insecure and easily led. Most are actually quite misogynistic, as your example illustrates.  All utter bollocks. Imho.

It's perfectly possible to be a decent person with sound morals but no faith.  Religion and morals are 2 completely different things.

There's a guy who runs a guest house near where I live and he was training to be a Rabbi until he got to his 3rd year and packed in in when he realised it was all about control.  

A wise scotsman once said that religion is the politics of spirituality.*

*whatever that means.  For me it can be a last minute winner...

All that killing etc for an idea.  Bollocks

Edited by Auldbenches

SwindonJambo
6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised at a religion turning a blind eye to anything (and I suspect you’re not). 

Johnson is a snake and I remain astounded that anyone would vote for him or his party, especially in Scotland given the devastation Thatcher delivered to communities up and down the land but that’s just me and I respect that others won’t agree with me. ✌️ 

Thatcher had a weak opposition to beat in all 3 of her election wins, which is why she got away with so much. In fairness, Blair had the same. Major, Hague and Howard were no great shakes.

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Ah yes, good old confession. So you can go out and hump whomever you like but as long as you've got a wee slot in confession booked in afterwards everything's  alright then 😉 ? Sound!

I've just read up on the sacking by Howard. The man is a truly shameless inveterate liar yet he has such a slavish cult like following down here that he gets away with it. Very weak and divided oppo helps him too. He has created an open goal for the oppo to attack him but because they're so ineffectual, they Van Vossen/Bratbaak the ball over the bar from 3 feet every time.

Have you seen the letter published in the Guardian? It goes something like:

"You published a photo of the prime minister which was captioned, "A dangerous cult now runs Britain."

I was pleased to see that, in this time of turmoil, some things, such as the the Guardian's penchant for typos, never change."

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Have you seen the letter published in the Guardian? It goes something like:

"You published a photo of the prime minister which was captioned, "A dangerous cult now runs Britain."

I was pleased to see that, in this time of turmoil, some things, such as the the Guardian's penchant for typos, never change."

Ummm, did they misspell 'cult' by any chance? And if so, was it really an accident 😳 ?

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Ummm, did they misspell 'cult' by any chance? And if so, was it really an accident 😳 ?

I think that the letter was written tongue in cheek but fair play to the Grauniad for publishing it.

SwindonJambo
Just now, I P Knightley said:

I think that the letter was written tongue in cheek but fair play to the Grauniad for publishing it.

😊

I live in a very rural area of South West Oxfordshire, close to Swindon. The constituency is Wantage. A newborn lamb in a blue rosette would be elected here. Tory HQ usually parachute in a candidate with no local connections.

Whenever our glorious leader Bawjaws commits yet another faux Pas, there's a prevailing attitude of 'Oh that's Boris'. We're moving in to a dangerous era of the cult of personality, where presentation matters more than substance. The best we're likely to get is for Boris to commit one whoopsie too many, fall on his sword and we get the Chancellor instead. But we might not even get that - he seems to be made of teflon.

Unfortunately I don't see the other lot making any inroads for a while. If they do then the blue press will attack Starmer over letting off Savile.

Auldbenches
22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Only heard why private eye called it the Gruaniad a couple of years ago.  

At the beginning of the second lockdown, I got a whole years worth of private eye for a fiver.  99 to 2000.  

In the hackwatch awards for 98, Johnson gets a mention.  Gove also gets a mention in the street of shame.  Didn't realise he was a journalist back then.

Interesting reading old private eyes from then.  £6 well spent.  

The Roman Catholic Church carries off the impressive achievement of being utterly backward and scientifically illiterate while having a few ultra progressive principles.

2 things happened here it seems. Firstly Boris can be forgiven for all sins. Personally a good approach to life. Then in the biggest story since abortion was legalised, divorced Catholics can now remarry in church or whatever they call it.

Progress. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Roman Catholic Church carries off the impressive achievement of being utterly backward and scientifically illiterate while having a few ultra progressive principles.

2 things happened here it seems. Firstly Boris can be forgiven for all sins. Personally a good approach to life. Then in the biggest story since abortion was legalised, divorced Catholics can now remarry in church or whatever they call it.

Progress. 

Not really progress as he is allowed to get married as he’s never been married before in their eyes, the only real marriage is a catholic one so he’s never been married before in that logic. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not really progress as he is allowed to get married as he’s never been married before in their eyes, the only real marriage is a catholic one so he’s never been married before in that logic. 

Yeah

It follows the Roman Catholic principle of exceptionalism.

No one else exists. No one else matters. So the 2 previous marriages didn't happen.

I took a positive approach in my initial post but they are something else. 

And by the way similar to likes of ISIS they believe all non believers will burn in hell.

(Disclaimer- Some Roman Catholics are nice people mainly because they don't understand their own faith)

Edited by Mikey1874

Carl Fredrickson
25 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Only heard why private eye called it the Gruaniad a couple of years ago.  

At the beginning of the second lockdown, I got a whole years worth of private eye for a fiver.  99 to 2000.  

In the hackwatch awards for 98, Johnson gets a mention.  Gove also gets a mention in the street of shame.  Didn't realise he was a journalist back then.

Interesting reading old private eyes from then.  £6 well spent.  

That is some inflation. 6 sentences and they went up by a pound. I blame the tories.

(Used to enjoy Private Eye many years ago, stopped getting it about 20 years ago)

pharmaceutical01
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

It follows the Roman Catholic principle of exceptionalism.

No one else exists. No one else matters. So the 2 previous marriages didn't happen.

I took a positive approach in my initial post but they are something else. 

And by the way similar to likes of ISIS they believe all non believers will burn in hell.

(Disclaimer- Some Roman Catholics are nice people mainly because they don't understand their own faith)

My old man was a ‘wee free’.....trust me there are bonkers people on both side of religion.....

as for Boris declaring his Catholicism, I am not sure it would have been done for religious reasons 

Auldbenches
8 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is some inflation. 6 sentences and they went up by a pound. I blame the tories.

(Used to enjoy Private Eye many years ago, stopped getting it about 20 years ago)

Slip of the thumb.  I stopped buying it a few years ago due the price.  I have been enjoying these old issues.  A lit of stuff about the dome and Mandelson.  Some of the cartoons are quite funny.  

Captain Slog

Just pedantry, but doesn't that mean he's acknowledging the head of another State - the Vatican, as his superior, and that he has to follow any diktat from there through a Papal Bull.  On the upside, pmsl if that's the case, the blue half of the erse cheeks won't be able to vote for anything he stands for now, like no to independence.

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Just pedantry, but doesn't that mean he's acknowledging the head of another State - the Vatican, as his superior, and that he has to follow any diktat from there through a Papal Bull.  On the upside, pmsl if that's the case, the blue half of the erse cheeks won't be able to vote for anything he stands for now, like no to independence.

How pleasing is it to know that they’ll be doing their mental gymnastics over this absaloot bombshell news :lol: 

manaliveits105
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Anyway, we're missing the point

Well played the newly weds 

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Agree mate but I seem to recall a labour victory in ‘87 wasn’t considered impossible (ultimately it was). 

Kinnock would have made a good pm I think but little England wouldn’t vote for a ginger Welshman. 

As much as I hate the tories, I thought Hague was quite likeable, apart from lying about sinking 8 pints when he was a drayman 😂

Kinnock fought a decent campaign in 1987 but was still comfortably beaten.

He did however, put up a much better showing against John Major in 1992 and would probably have stood a very good chance of beating him, until, on the Sunday prior to Election day he extremely foolishly did this. He appeared to celebrate victory before achieving it, and Labour, from a leading position, took a hit in the polls afterwards. He has since spoken of his great regret at this appalling misjudgement. 

I agree that he would have made a decent PM but I disagree that his Welsh Nationality  was any issue at all with the English. I was already here then and he was a generally well regarded leader, although this seat, as ever, stayed blue.

That speech though 😳

SwindonJambo
29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Anyway, we're missing the point

That's an absolutely piss poor showing from Labour. Up against the most corrupt government in modern times, Starmer has been a huge disappointment so far and it's not obvious who else could lead them to a better showing. Shit times.

1 hour ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

My old man was a ‘wee free’.....trust me there are bonkers people on both side of religion.....

as for Boris declaring his Catholicism, I am not sure it would have been done for religious reasons 

there was an episode of QI where clive anderson said that a judge he knew was kicked out of the wee free because he went to the funeral of a respected colleague judge in a catholic church. That is all he did to get booted out.

SwindonJambo
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on. I got my elections mixed up 👍 

Falling over on the beach was a 🤦‍♀️ moment too😂

😂 iIRC, that was in Blackpool just after he was sworn in as leader in 1983. I don't think it affected either of his elections, but quite a riddy.🤭 

pharmaceutical01
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

there was an episode of QI where clive anderson said that a judge he knew was kicked out of the wee free because he went to the funeral of a respected colleague judge in a catholic church. That is all he did to get booted out.

Yeah ...but of a bonkers upbringing!

funny how I turned out normal .....so says my psychiatrist 😄

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Agree mate but I seem to recall a labour victory in ‘87 wasn’t considered impossible (ultimately it was). 

Kinnock would have made a good pm I think but little England wouldn’t vote for a ginger Welshman. 

As much as I hate the tories, I thought Hague was quite likeable, apart from lying about sinking 8 pints when he was a drayman 😂

He also lied about sharing a hotel bed with a young male adviser. He claimed they were saving the tax payer money.  :rofl:

SwindonJambo
10 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A decent guy Kinnock. Sure his son was a prominent brexiteer. 

Sunday lunch would have been interesting😄

I always admired the principles of Michael foot but no country was going to elect Christopher Lloyd in a donkey jacket. 

I think not. Stephen Kinnock worked for the EU and his wife is ex Danish PM Helle Schmidt. Very strong remainer. You may remember her somewhat inappropriately getting a selfie with Barack Obama and David Cameron at Nelson Mandela's funeral whilst Danish PM.

I didn't like Foot at all or the scary Militant types and their strongarm tactics. It took Kinnock a term to get rid of them.

A Boy Named Crow
On 30/05/2021 at 23:41, Dirty Deeds said:

Britain's first Catholic prime minister working hard to unite Ireland 🇮🇪 

Was Blair not Britain's first Catholic PM?

11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Lord Mackay of Clashfearn. He went to two funeral masses to pay his respects to his friends

12 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That's an absolutely piss poor showing from Labour. Up against the most corrupt government in modern times, Starmer has been a huge disappointment so far and it's not obvious who else could lead them to a better showing. Shit times.

Agreed.

Perhaps Andy Burnham would be the ideal candidate?

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Agreed.

Perhaps Andy Burnham would be the ideal candidate?

Could be a good shout, though he’s stood twice before. He came 2nd when Corbyn was picked (costing Labour my vote) and recently he’s dropped hints that he’s up for the cup again. 

2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Was Blair not Britain's first Catholic PM?

I think he signed up after he left office. 

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

A decent guy Kinnock.

He once tried to punch a mate of mine ("allegedly", I suppose). Mate was walking past their house having had a few bevvies and Kinnock was in his front garden shouting and yelling at his daughter. Mate shouted over, telling him to calm TF down. Kinnock came out the gate to challenge Mate, telling him to mind his own business and swinging for him. (All "allegedly", of course.)

Maybe he wouldn't have been so ragey if he'd made it to number 10.