Larry Kingston article

GinRummy

Bob Loblaw

I think the article seems fair. Fans were annoyed at him, but there may well have been other things going on. He was excellent when he came back in under JJ.

I also know for a fact that Csaba didn't like him and used to openly tell people he thought he was lying about his age.

kingantti1874

I will say. Csaba was an absolute clown of a manager and an absolutely clown of a man.

Absolutely terrible- wasted one of the most talented squads we’ve ever had. 

When John Robertson goes out of his way to kick someone you know he’s a bad egg. 

TyphoonJambo

Never been angrier at a Hearts player then when he feigned injury,no subs left,walks of smiling. Explain that Laryea!

6 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think the article seems fair. Fans were annoyed at him, but there may well have been other things going on. He was excellent when he came back in under JJ.

I also know for a fact that Csaba didn't like him and used to openly tell people he thought he was lying about his age.

Had forgotten all about the age thing. 😂 folk saying he was 45 after the Chinese whispers effect. 

Bob Loblaw
16 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Never been angrier at a Hearts player then when he feigned injury,no subs left,walks of smiling. Explain that Laryea!

He never feigned injury though did he? He was out for 4 months and missed the ANC with a torn hamstring 😂

TyphoonJambo

Well he walked off easily enough and was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Bob Loblaw

If he was going to feign injury, why would he have done it in injury time after playing 90 minutes? He was goosed, as shown by how long he was out after.

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Possibly one of the most talented players ever to play for the club. Pity about his mentality

Agreed. 

jamtartan74

Haven’t read the article but he is on a two part podcast with David Tanner called the Edinburgh football show where he talks about his time with us and his injury problems and the csaba stuff, it’s a good listen, he clearly loved it with us and I think the criticism he gets is a tad unfair IMO. 

Салатные палочки

IIRC one of the best games I seen him play was when we beat Hibs (I know, rare as it is) 2-1, Obua late winner. That was under JJ I think. 

cosanostra

Remember he got sent off v Aberdeen and started abusing the ref about being racist? 😲😂

Crazy times.

He was a great little player on his day. Real entertainer. 

Seemed like a prick though.

A_A wehatethehibs

He was class on his day. Sadly those days were far too few, given how much we were paying him. And that’s always where the frustration with a player like that comes in. I always enjoyed watching him though, so unpredictable, great at creating a bit of space for himself with a nice touch in tight areas which is the hardest skill in football imo

Allowayjambo1874

History getting rewritten here. His final season with Hearts he flew off to play for Ghana in two matches at the start of September (6th & 9th) yet was injured before and after, making his first appearance that season on the 17th October. Bags of ability but worst attitude ever, at the time 99% of Hearts fans would have driven him to Ghana if it meant he didn’t return. 

Never really understood the level of criticism he got. Especially when you consider players like Pinilla got an easy ride.

He on occasion was class, especially during his initial loan spell. I’ve never minded players who blow hot and cold. I think the expectation of players that have talent to perform every week is naive as they wouldn’t be in Scotland if that was the case.

Spellczech

Hmmn he may have had some niggles but his lack of effort was down to a poor attitude. Csaba wasn't the best manager but his frustration was same as the fans'. Kingston always cared more about playing for Ghana than Hearts...He only ever spoke about getting fit so he could play for Ghana again...

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Well he walked off easily enough and was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

When I shattered my ankle in 3 places playing football, the only thing I could do was laugh. It was absurd, and so ****ing painful, but that's just what happened. 

People react differently to things.  He was probably dying inside. 

Diadora Van Basten

I don’t agree with the criticism that Kingston gets.

The leaving us with ten players is a good example, if you tear your hamstring there is nothing you can do and any attempt to play on will just make the injury worse.

Benny Factor
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

IIRC one of the best games I seen him play was when we beat Hibs (I know, rare as it is) 2-1, Obua late winner. That was under JJ I think. 

The best game I remember him having was the 3-1 win at Parkhead... absolutely outstanding that day.

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He never feigned injury though did he? He was out for 4 months and missed the ANC with a torn hamstring 😂

Correct. 

willie wallace
17 minutes ago, TheDogWithTheShiftyEyes said:

The best game I remember him having was the 3-1 win at Parkhead... absolutely outstanding that day.

I liked Kingston and that particular game he was different class 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I will say. Csaba was an absolute clown of a manager and an absolutely clown of a man.

When John Robertson goes out of his way to kick someone you know he’s a bad egg. 

Some of the players who played under Csaba will tell you different, their opinion of him was that he was a great coach and a good man.

Larry was absolutely fantastic for 40 mins in a game at Parkhead we lost 5-0. He ran the game in the first half but twice players were running the wrong way for a through ball. He then ran through the Celtic team, did a couple of 1-2s and smacked a shot off the bar and was unlucky he had to stretch for the rebound and shaved the bar with it.  Just before half time 1-0 and right after half time bang - 2-0. Game pretty much over after that, but it showed what he could have done with one or two better players around him. He took a few clatterings in his time too.

Great last gasp winner V ICT after Michael Stewart's 1 in a thousand hoof forwards to Andy Driver (Stewart normally put those ten rows back!)

2 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Never really understood the level of criticism he got. Especially when you consider players like Pinilla got an easy ride.

He on occasion was class, especially during his initial loan spell. I’ve never minded players who blow hot and cold. *I think the expectation of players that have talent to perform every week is naive as they wouldn’t be in Scotland if that was the case.

Laudrup, Larsen, Gazza and plenty others were top class who did it week in week out and in Scotland Scotland. Then we had our very own class acts, like Cameron, Adam, McCann and Niemi. 

*A myth and an excuse for any player who seem to think they could turn up when they liked. I'm surprised Jim didn't stick one on his chin. 

When I think about it, the players I mentioned were adored, so maybe they loved playing for the fans and their team. 

Edited by ri Alban

Savage Vince
2 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

That's a very good and interesting comparison. 

The way some of the support still fawn over Pinilla yet remember all the bad stuff about Kingston, as well as all the sinister stuff about him lying about his age, is a bit uncomfortable. 

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Remember he got sent off v Aberdeen and started abusing the ref about being racist? 😲😂

Crazy times.

He was a great little player on his day. Real entertainer. 

Seemed like a prick though.

And hilariously it turned out the referee’s wife was black. 

36 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Larry was absolutely fantastic for 40 mins in a game at Parkhead we lost 5-0. He ran the game in the first half but twice players were running the wrong way for a through ball. He then ran through the Celtic team, did a couple of 1-2s and smacked a shot off the bar and was unlucky he had to stretch for the rebound and shaved the bar with it.  Just before half time 1-0 and right after half time bang - 2-0. Game pretty much over after that, but it showed what he could have done with one or two better players around him. He took a few clatterings in his time too.

Great last gasp winner V ICT after Michael Stewart's 1 in a thousand hoof forwards to Andy Driver (Stewart normally put those ten rows back!)

There was a game at Ibrox where he took the ball from the edge of our box right up to theirs and set up a chance, dont think we scored from it. He just ran right through the middle of the park, nobody got near him. Might have been the Kurkis game in fact.

I liked Larry, very very good player. Just another what if unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

History getting rewritten here. His final season with Hearts he flew off to play for Ghana in two matches at the start of September (6th & 9th) yet was injured before and after, making his first appearance that season on the 17th October. Bags of ability but worst attitude ever, at the time 99% of Hearts fans would have driven him to Ghana if it meant he didn’t return. 

Is his point not that Csaba was saying he was injured when he wasnt? Hence why he wasnt playing for us (Csaba didn't like him) so thats why he played for Ghana?

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Some of the players who played under Csaba will tell you different, their opinion of him was that he was a great coach and a good man.

His record proves otherwise. And the football was beyond ****ing brutal. 

5 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

This all day long, felt angry at the time then followed quickly by disappointment, I only say this because, up to that point I had been a fan of the guy.

5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I take it you know Csaba well to come to such a definite conclusion as to his character. Many of the squad at the time seemed to like and respected him. An extraordinary leap to suggest that Robertson lashing out at Csaba makes Csaba a “bad egg”. More the other way around if your going to draw any conclusion from that incident.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Laudrup, Larsen, Gazza and plenty others were top class who did it week in week out and in Scotland Scotland. Then we had our very own class acts, like Cameron, Adam, McCann and Niemi. 

*A myth and an excuse for any player who seem to think they could turn up when they liked. I'm surprised Jim didn't stick one on his chin. 

When I think about it, the players I mentioned were adored, so maybe they loved playing for the fans and their team. 

Every example you’ve given me was from a period 10 years prior when there was a lot more money in Scottish football. Also the majority played for the old firm who were paying wages comparable to the English premier league at the time.

Cameron, McCann and Niemi were all too good for us and hence got their move (Add Naysmith, Weir and Gordon to that list). 

The simplistic view that just because someone has talent they should therefore run rings round everyone week in week out is as I said before naive. There’s examples of better players that Kingston in bigger leagues who have struggled for consistency, which has nothing to do with effort.

Ex member of the SaS

I liked Larry but the comments when he went off inured and smiled put many fans against him. Maybe should or could have come out with this much earlier.

Guest ToqueJambo

Should have been the perfect replacement for Paul Hartley. Had all the talent but zero commitment. One of my least favourite Hearts players for that reason.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Jambo Jim said:

I take it you know Csaba well to come to such a definite conclusion as to his character. Many of the squad at the time seemed to like and respected him. An extraordinary leap to suggest that Robertson lashing out at Csaba makes Csaba a “bad egg”. More the other way around if your going to draw any conclusion from that incident.

terrific who manager who failed to get anything from a phenomena squad, brutal football and absolutely joke of a manager as his career after hearts has proven. A complete total and utter imposter

On 29/05/2021 at 16:00, kingantti1874 said:
Edited by Jambo Jim

1 minute ago, Jambo Jim said:

terrific who manager who failed to get anything from a phenomena squad, brutal football and absolutely joke of a manager as his career after hearts has proven. A complete total and utter imposter

He was the assistant coach in the Hungarian team. He was the 2005 Hungarian coach of the year. He was Uganda Manager nicknamed “The Miracle Man”.. He took us to a third place finish in the league and a Football Writers Manager of the Year. Was the Lithuanian manager. Took MTK Budapest to the top of their league with no investment. Guided Dunajska Streda to a record 16 unbeaten games in Slovak Super Liga. A total waster right enough? But if you want to judge him on Robertson kicking him or your view of him as a a man then fair enough.

Gary Locke

Frustrating player but definitely had lots of ability, remember his song dudududu Larry Kingston🎶 

colinmaroon

Nonsense!

Check your facts!

Complete waster, but a real talent.

As per usual we got ****ed over and never got our bob's worth.

bigsuperslim1874
On 29/05/2021 at 11:41, DG_HMFC said:

Mikey Stewart thought he was the bees knees.

rudi must stay

I've seen alot of Hearts teams and performances. My favourite ever was the 1-1 game v Hibs at Easter Road with Bruno Aguiar scoring. It is the best I have ever seen us play, complete domination of the ball and accurate passing. Csaba was in charge that day. As Michael Stewart said on a podcast he played a formation with Karipidis as defensive mid and later the underrated Adrian Mrowiec, this formation was unseen in Scotland and IMO made us overachieve. He is far from an imposter 

rudi must stay
On 29/05/2021 at 07:58, kingantti1874 said:

Possibly one of the most talented players ever to play for the club. Pity about his mentality

Larry was a predictable player. Always went for the difficult pass and was poor in the tackle. He always talked himself up in the press though. There are examples of him doing great things but they just sum up why he was here he played a crazy game of football 

indianajones
1 hour ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Wonder if he enjoyed his 70th birthday 

Was about to post something similar!