The Olympic Games

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

Just saw a thing on the BBC sport website about the build-up to Beijing.

It suddenly struck me: there are some Olympic games coming up some time soon.

Is anyone here interested or excited about them?

Besides the political craven-ness of giving the games to China, there is nothing there that intrigues or excites me... unless you can convince me otherwise.

Boaby Ewing

Besides the political craven-ness of giving the games to China, there is nothing there that intrigues or excites me... unless you can convince me otherwise.

Track cycling's not everyone's cup of tea, but Britain have got a brilliant chance of a huge medal haul if they can recreate their form from the recent world championships.

Watch out for Chris Hoy (Edinburgh lad and Jambo), Mark Cavendish (mad Manx man currently contesting the sprint stages in Le Tour de France) and Bradley Wiggins, to name just three who have a decent chance of grabbing a gold medal.

The 4x400 relay is always good. And the powerlifting is usually quite funny.

Not really. Just glad the football season will have started by the time it's on!

rossi_1983

Always like to watch the track and field events, particularly the sprints. The 100 should be superb this year, with Bolt, Powell and Gay all looking incredible

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The 4x400 relay is always good. And the powerlifting is usually quite funny.

I always find it mildly amusing when they use the word 'Snatch' during commentary.

:)

The olmpics don't see m to be as eagerly anticipated as they have previously. Maybe, thats just me though :confused:

I P Knightley
I always find it mildly amusing when they use the word 'Snatch' during commentary.

phnnth! plplplff!

NOW I'm interested

And... there's a runner called.... "Gay" Harroooah! Fnarrr! etc...

the voice from above
Always like to watch the track and field events, particularly the sprints. The 100 should be superb this year, with Bolt, Powell and Gay all looking incredible

I'd agree with that. All the men's shorter track events are worth watching. Once you go beyond 1500m though you've lost me.

The olympic football should be good, and I always enjoy the boxing as well.

And if you're looking for all-time greatness, Micheal Phelps is going for a record 8 (EIGHT!) gold medals!!! He is a true phenom...

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I'd agree with that. All the men's shorter track events are worth watching. Once you go beyond 1500m though you've lost me.

And if you're looking for all-time greatness, Micheal Phelps is going for a record 8 (EIGHT!) gold medals!!! He is a true phenom...

The 'Thorpedo' should make a comeback and whoop his ass :cool:

the voice from above
The 'Thorpedo' should make a comeback and whoop his ass :cool:

The Thorpedo is to Phelps as Nemo is to Jaws. ;)

Ryan Lochte will have something to say about that! I reckon Lochte is going to be the biggest surprise in the pool.

I love the Olympics. I also am not dead set against it being in China. It's forcing China into the public eye, which hopefully will have a positive affect on the country.

Bindy Badgy

I'm heading over to watch the judo (assuming I manage to get event tickets on the black market).

Craig Fallon at 60kg is an ex World and European champion and a very good medal prospect.

Euan Burton took bronze at the last Worlds and Cousins took silver so both of them are in with a shout.

jamboinglasgow

I cant wait for the rowing, will be glued to the tv watching all the events. Britain has quite a few boats which if they perform on the day they will win a few golds. The best chance is the mens lightweight double sculls as they have won all the world cup regatta races. Plus the womens quadriple sculls (which include Scottish double silver olympic medalist Katherine Grainger) and the mens coxless four (who on their day are great but a few injuries meant that they lost one or two major races in the months leading up to the olympics.)

Last olympics Britain won 4 medals in rowing, think this year will be even greater.

Patrick Bateman

Thats just it though, the whole Olympic movement is politically crass. Just wait for the disaster that will be the London games, they can't even build one stadium efficiently, let alone several facilities.

Captain Canada

Trying to watch the events through the thick pollution should be a challenge in itself. Looking forward to seeing people win golds and then getting banned in a couple of years for being drugs cheats. Isn't it great how cheats can deny the real athletes the chance of achieving something really special in their careers? You can't re-run the race years after the event.

ToadKiller Dog

There was a time when i could have named countless british sports men and woman in with a shout of a medal or at least an interesting charachter ,to be honest cant think of many this time.

Hope a few stars are found this olympics.

There was a time when i could have named countless british sports men and woman in with a shout of a medal or at least an interesting charachter ,to be honest cant think of many this time.

I've got my fingers crossed for the wee 13 year old diver, Tom Daley. He must be the youngerst British Olympian.

jamboinglasgow

think the thing is that most of the sports we are most likely to win gold in are ones that aren't as mainstream as others, i.e. think we wont win many track and field events but other events will see us win.

John Findlay

When I was teenager I loved the Olympic games. Now I cant watch them. Especially track and field as I always ask myself is the winner a drug cheat.

John

the voice from above
Ryan Lochte will have something to say about that! I reckon Lochte is going to be the biggest surprise in the pool.

He'll be tough certainly, but Phelps just beat him twice in the trials. :)

I reckon it's all about Phelps, if he swins his best, he'll win. I reckon both medlies may be the best events and we're more than likely going to see two new world records... Thanks to a major degree to Lochte it must be said.

Bindy Badgy
When does it start?

Opening ceremony is on the 8th. Events start on the 9th.

He'll be tough certainly, but Phelps just beat him twice in the trials. :)

I reckon it's all about Phelps, if he swins his best, he'll win. I reckon both medlies may be the best events and we're more than likely going to see two new world records... Thanks to a major degree to Lochte it must be said.

The medley's are going to be awesom with Phelps, Lochte and Lazlo Cseh. But you are right, if Phelps hits form he will clean up.

When does it start?

8th August....But, Really, who gives a ****, Drug cheats the lot of them!!

Say What Again

I took more interest in b3ta competition to design a mascot for the London games.

Some crackers :)

stabby.jpg

2012.jpg

2012_mascot_large.gif

plasticrings.jpg

2012Mascot.png

olympiclogo2.jpg

beerolympicslarge.jpg

olympicmascotgoma.jpg

crazy_jambo_2006

Love the Olympics. Very patriotic during the games. Especially the rowing. Always love to see us bring home some medals. Makes me v proud to be British (in everyday life, I don't mind being British, but consider myself Scottish 1st)

Love the Olympics. Very patriotic during the games. Especially the rowing. Always love to see us bring home some medals. Makes me v proud to be British (in everyday life, I don't mind being British, but consider myself Scottish 1st)

Rowing...Shower of Spoilt Public School boy Nonces...Steve Redgrave:Bazooka::yadayada:

I HATE that F****** ^^^^!!

I P Knightley
I usually just watch the team events. Football, Basketball, Hockey etc...

...the sports which you can get to a better standard outside of the games (football & basketball, anyway)

I usually just watch the team events. Football, Basketball, Hockey etc...

I do quite the opposite in the Olympics. As I spend most of the year watching team sports it's nice to watch individual endeavor.

jamboinglasgow
Rowing...Shower of Spoilt Public School boy Nonces...Steve Redgrave:Bazooka::yadayada:

Thanks for that igornarnt rant, I do rowing for Glasgow University and certainly in Scotland there is a huge drive to get as many state schools to get their pupils into rowing. Maybe at times of Henley there is many spoilt public school people around (I cant stand Eton and I went to a private school in Edinburgh.) But if you actully watched races you would find most rowers are not spoilt public school nonces.

As for Steve Redgrave, why do you hate him? What has he ever done to you? He has pushed himself in a very tough sport to earn 5 olympic gold medals. He gives alot to charity and is a very kind guy.

Jam Tarts 1874

As Bejing is 7 hours ahead of us, the athletics and any other interesting evening events will be midnight onwards here in the UK, I don't think we have many competitors worth staying up into the early hours for, but I hope I am proved wrong.

I notice that the BBC are spending our licence fee payer's money wisely - 437 BBC staff are going to China!

Bindy Badgy
As for Steve Redgrave, why do you hate him? What has he ever done to you? He has pushed himself in a very tough sport to earn 5 olympic gold medals. He gives alot to charity and is a very kind guy.

I can't comment on how nice a bloke he is but he is in all probability our greatest Olympian of all time. Rowing really isn't my thing but there is no arguing with his achievements.

The People's Chimp

You going to get him pumped?

I P Knightley

I notice that the BBC are spending our licence fee payer's money wisely - 437 BBC staff are going to China!

It gets a mention in the current Private Eye, comparing that to the 320 (or something) British competitors being sent.

crazy_jambo_2006

Our greatest ever Olympian. 5 consecutive golds. A decent bloke. And he must have had to keep himself in awesome condition to get all those medals, especially when he had diabetes.

Awesome achievement. You may not like the bloke for whatever reason, but Sir Steve's achievements speak for themselves.

"Public school boys", you say.........do uni's not do rowing? Not all uni students went to public school, so there must be a few rowers at uni, who are not "public school boys".

------------------------------------------------------------

jamboinglasgow
Our greatest ever Olympian. 5 consecutive golds. A decent bloke. And he must have had to keep himself in awesome condition to get all those medals, especially when he had diabetes.

Awesome achievement. You may not like the bloke for whatever reason, but Sir Steve's achievements speak for themselves.

"Public school boys", you say.........do uni's not do rowing? Not all uni students went to public school, so there must be a few rowers at uni, who are not "public school boys".[/Quote]

I agree with all you say.

To add to the bit you say uni's do rowing where most people learn rowing. Our club is the biggest and most succesful uni rowing team in Scotland and we do not ask what school they go and we have rowers from all backrounds. However the only problem is that it is quite expensive to row as kit and entry fees for races can cost alot. This means most of the experenced Scottish school rowers who join us are from Watsons and Heriots but that is changing with initives that are coming through the scottish amateur Rowing Association where they are getting Glasgow kids and other areas involved in rowing.

To say Rowing is full of spolit public school nonces is like saying that football is full of hooligans, there may be a few but they are a small minority and the usually dont actully take part in the actual sport.

Thanks for that igornarnt rant, I do rowing for Glasgow University and certainly in Scotland there is a huge drive to get as many state schools to get their pupils into rowing. Maybe at times of Henley there is many spoilt public school people around (I cant stand Eton and I went to a private school in Edinburgh.) But if you actully watched races you would find most rowers are not spoilt public school nonces.

Sorry to have upset you jamboin glasgow...BUT, I honestly cannot stand Redgrave...Pinsent (sp?) doesn't bug me as much for some reason (could'nt name another rower TBH)...SIR Steve...a ferkin Knighthood coz he could paddle fast...FFS, Joke or what??

As for your good self, good luck with your paddling at Uni!! ;)

Archived