Best Large Stadium

sauchiejambo

TyphoonJambo
10 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Twickenham is a fantastic large capacity stadium, was lucky to get a comp for the 38all game.

Football wise, I enjoyed the san siro, but that was more overall experience rather than experience of the stadium.

I was at that game but we were right up the very back,in a corner. Round and round and round to get there. Bloody nightmare, my head was spinning.  Also,the bar set up was bollox. 

Tremendous day out though.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• dannymack

• Batistuta87

• frankblack

HamishMcGonagall
10 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Stade velodrome in Marseille, recommend taking in a game there if you ever get the chance.

I really want to get there next season. I've been to 3 Marseille games and they've all been away.

Mr Brightside
Just now, TypoonJambo said:

I was at that game but we were right up the very back,in a corner. Round and round and round to get there. Bloody nightmare, my head was spinning.  Also,the bar set up was bollox. 

Tremendous day out though.

I was 2nd tier in the corner some day out!

Bars had a bit of a queue but was good to be able to have a pint and watch a match.

3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Parkhead is a dump with a pillar right in the middle of the away end. It's also in a state of disrepair and needs some serious cash spent on it. 

Same for Ibrox. 

Both Parkhead and Ibrox have terrible views for away fans. 

How any Hearts fan can like them is bizarre imo. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Same for Ibrox. 

We used to get the top of the Broomloan back in the day. That was a great view. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Same for Ibrox. 

I think they're good stadiums for atmosphere. 

Hardly bizzare, in fact lots of players mention parkhead for atmosphere. 

Been to Scotland games at both as well-cracking. Although that might just be because Hampden is a bit shit. 

Being a Hearts fan is irrelevant, I may not like the atmosphere they create but to deny they do not create a good atmosphere for their own fans is a bit bizzare. 

I like Ibrox as it's auld fashioned.

Batistuta87

Haven't been, but full credit to Atlanta Utd for the Merc Arena. Looks absolutely unreal. Looks like an up-dated San Siro. And to think this is Jake Mulraney's home ground 😳

15944DFC-7479-4426-884C-57FE378543EB.jpeg

Unfortunately the atmosphere will be utter shite but what a stadium, and it would be some experience sitting watching a game getting pished and munching on nachos and hot dogs 😂

Would love to go to Dortmund game.That Signal Iduna looks absolutely amazing.

Edited by Batistuta87

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We used to get the top of the Broomloan back in the day. That was a great view. 

Was up there for the first leg of the LC semi final. It was some night. Shame we conceded two late goals to take the tie away from us.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, benny said:

Been there twice Bernabeau

First time half way line up in the gods,great view but no atmosphere.

Second time away end up in the gods good atmosphere but watching through a net.

Looks the part from outside but a bit of a shithole.

The Wanda is great but so it should be as it is new.

San Siro the same as the Bernabeau.Looks great from the outside but a shithole inside.

Newcastle. is shite if you are in the away end as well and Old Trafford is falling apart and the legroom between the seats is a disgrace.

Top 3 stadiums in the EPL.Arsenal,Spurs and City.

Stadium of Light another great stadium 

The Germans do it the best though.

Shalke and Monchengladbach brilliant stadiums. 

It was 2012 I was at the Bernabeau and a lot of work had been carried out. Was decent during the tour and seating area was fine. My seat was great - just in front of the corporate boxes and great atmosphere v Zaragoza. 

My only visit to St James's was v Barca in the Champions League. Good atmosphere until Barca killed the tie. Kluivert and Dani were different class. 

2 hours ago, skacel51 said:

The best one I've been to was the National Stadium in Warsaw. Amazing location and a brilliant stadium.

Totally agree, saw Scotland get a 2-2 draw there against Poland. Those Polish fans were incredible, the noise and spectacle was by far the best I've experienced. 

Nookie Bear
12 hours ago, Locky said:

St James Park is a hell of an arena. Love going to games there. Reminds me of Tynecastle somewhat. Tightly packed in a well built up area, excellent links to transport, bars etc. and a good balance of old meets new. 

Old Trafford is a good stadium too. Wouldn't mind experiencing a game there with a bit of atmosphere though... 

Of course, the Veltins Arena is a cracker. :thumbsup: 

St James Park is a farce for away fans though. Ridiculous distance from the pitch 🧐

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Not a football stadium though it has hosted football before. The Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium) is a cracking stadium for a 74,000 capacity. City Centre location, a 5 minute walk from the railway station with more pubs and and eateries nearby than you can shake a stick at. Excellent concert acoustics too, with the roof open or closed. 

Was about to say this. You also get cracking views from anywhere in the ground. 

Batistuta87
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

St James Park is a farce for away fans though. Ridiculous distance from the pitch 🧐

Aye I went down and sat in the away end right up the back and was sitting in the sky. It was dire and you could barely make out who was who. 

Forever Hearts
58 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Been to Scotland games at both as well-cracking. Although that might just be because Hampden is a bit shit. 

Being a Hearts fan is irrelevant, I may not like the atmosphere they create but to deny they do not create a good atmosphere for their own fans is a bit bizzare. 

Unless it's a European or Old Firm game Parkhead is generally like a morgue. 

moonraker

Loved Maracana, liked Allianz Arena, didn't think much of Wembley,Nou Camp was impressive but a crowd of 33k seemed lost in it.  Forgot I was at StJames Park last season, zero atmosphere compared to expectations 

Edited by moonraker

parisjambo

Haven't been since the Scotland v France game in 2007, but I like the Parc de Princes in Paris. Enclosed bowl in a relatively built-up area. Used to live a couple of kilometres from it.

Didn't go when we played there in 84, but been to quite a few PSG games before they bought Ligue 1. Always a good atmosphere when teams with decent away supports like St Etienne and Marseille rock up.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

How many times have you been at a Hearts away game at these

grounds ? 

You can't see the game properly and at Ibrox you stand a fair chance of getting something unpleasant landing on your head. 

It's an 'experience' right enough. 

The Natural Order
13 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Not a football stadium though it has hosted football before. The Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium) is a cracking stadium for a 74,000 capacity. City Centre location, a 5 minute walk from the railway station with more pubs and and eateries nearby than you can shake a stick at. Excellent concert acoustics too, with the roof open or closed. 

This. I've been to the British Speedway Grand Prix there. With the roof closed, the bikes and fans with air horns the noise is amazing.

hmfc_liam06

Wembley or Olympiastadion, Berlin for football.

Lincoln Financial Field is superb as well, non-football speaking.

It’s odd how Villa Park has been mentioned as a proper old school stadium. In actual fact the oldest stand is only about 40 years old and the others were all built starting in the mid 90’s. Though I suppose you could say the same about most stadiums now, Tynecastle included. 
The real disgrace was that Doug Ellis had the Trinity Road stand completely demolished to be replaced by a new one and made no effort to keep the frontage. It was a magnificent thing that made the front of Ibrox look like a dockside warehouse. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah I can imagine. Although, I'd love us to have the facility to stick Celtic, Rangers and Hibs fans away up in the gods. :lol: 

Cruickshankforscotland

Dortmund has always been a favourite of mine. Been to a few Scotland games there. First in 1974 - but it’s grown a bit since then!! Opposite for the San Siro. There a few years back. Stand behind the goal was an absolute tip. I’ll give a shout for Murrayfield. City centre and so much space in the stadium, and capable of a top atmosphere.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

How many times have you been at a Hearts away game at these

grounds ? 

You can't see the game properly and at Ibrox you stand a fair chance of getting something unpleasant landing on your head. 

It's an 'experience' right enough. 

Not been at Ibrox or parkhead since the 90's in the away end. 

I was thinking from the home end, I've never been to the grounds abroad I mentioned earlier either, but they look and sound cracking for atmosphere. 

If it's best away ground atmosphere, Easter Road wins every time. Had cracking times there! 

I've had things chucked at me at Ibrox as well, not nice especially before the corner. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Unless it's a European or Old Firm game Parkhead is generally like a morgue. 

Aye, was thinking of those games 

Tbf, so are most bigger teams. Tynecastle, v the likes of Hamilton etc is pretty shit but against v the big teams is cracking. 

Germans seem to be at it no matter what, was at a league game in Bayern and it was quality. 

The ultras / Brigade behind the goal never stopped. 

frankblack
4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Haven't been, but full credit to Atlanta Utd for the Merc Arena. Looks absolutely unreal. Looks like an up-dated San Siro. And to think this is Jake Mulraney's home ground 😳

15944DFC-7479-4426-884C-57FE378543EB.jpeg

Unfortunately the atmosphere will be utter shite but what a stadium, and it would be some experience sitting watching a game getting pished and munching on nachos and hot dogs 😂

Would love to go to Dortmund game.That Signal Iduna looks absolutely amazing.

Angle of seating looks far too flat for me.  I'd be concerned about gettting a decent view.

Just now, frankblack said:

Angle of seating looks far too flat for me.  I'd be concerned about gettting a decent view.

Hampden like. 
I was at a sell out game at the Suncorp in Brisbane which is about the same capacity as Hampden and it was like chalk and cheese. I was in the back row behind the goals and it felt like no further from the pitch than a stadium half the size. Also a superb stadium in terms of the pre match experience with massive concourse areas for fans with lots of food and drink concessions. 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Hampden like. 
I was at a sell out game at the Suncorp in Brisbane which is about the same capacity as Hampden and it was like chalk and cheese. I was in the back row behind the goals and it felt like no further from the pitch than a stadium half the size. Also a superb stadium in terms of the pre match experience with massive concourse areas for fans with lots of food and drink concessions. 

Hampden was what sprung to mind when I saw that photo.  If you are behind the goals, you have no hope of seeing the action at the other end of the pitch.

Batistuta87
40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm 6"3' mate. No fussed 🤷🏻

😁

frankblack
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

I'm 6"3' mate. No fussed 🤷🏻

😁

I'm no midget either, but that isn't really the point - you still can't make out what is going on at the other end of the pitch because the angle is flat.

Batistuta87
Just now, frankblack said:

I'm no midget either, but that isn't really the point - you still can't make out what is going on at the other end of the pitch because the angle is flat.

Aye from where that photo is taken you've got no chance - It's far too far away. Just think it's a cracking looking stadium, not thinking much about the view etc. 

NANOJAMBO

Wembley is off the scale good - even in the 3rd tier visibility is good.

Also love the Olympic stadium in Rome. Now showing it's age but there's plenty of space and the stadium is in a cool location for getting pissed pre match. 

frankblack
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Also love the Olympic stadium in Rome. Now showing it's age but there's plenty of space and the stadium is in a cool location for getting pissed pre match. 

Agree - I was at the 3-2 friendly defeat on the second or third tier and had a pretty decent view.  I also just missed some pissed guy fall down about three rows of seats - absolutely blootered. :rofl:

Diadora Van Basten
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, was thinking of those games 

Tbf, so are most bigger teams. Tynecastle, v the likes of Hamilton etc is pretty shit but against v the big teams is cracking. 

Germans seem to be at it no matter what, was at a league game in Bayern and it was quality. 

The ultras / Brigade behind the goal never stopped. 

I remember after getting back from Hampdump and being 80 metres away from the pitch and seeing the champions league final from Munich. The stadium looked superb.

The new Wembley is amazing to be fair I've been twice watching Scotland - when you see the dump we've got in Mount Florida its chalk and cheese,never been to Principality in Cardiff but that looks amazing and was cracking atmosphere when the FA Cups were played there 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's an incredibly good stadium, I doubt there's any better.

Olympic Stadium is great too. Lazio fans make some racket, despite there only being like 30,000 of them in there any time I've been.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Apart from Tynie and having sat in every stand at Anfield, got to give a big vote for the away end at Easter road as I have never felt as happy as many times in another footballing stadium as there.

14 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Braga ground was amazing with the rock at one end and the old Olympic Stadium, home to Hertha has an atmosphere all of it's own. We went on a foggy night in December and looking over at the abandoned Olympic pool was like looking back through time. As they say, if these walls could talk....

I think braga had rock at both ends and only two stands. If I remember correctly one end had a huge scoreboard.

Good thread, this one. 

The Emirates got a shout out earlier, fails the test, as the lower tier doesn't have enough gradient so you spend the game standing up and sitting down trying to see the action at either end. I feel Hampden has the same problem - you need to be steep or weep. 

Twickenham got a mention earlier - for me its good but its in a god awful location. If a match lasts 100 minutes, be prepared to spend double that getting home. Murrayfield was impressive in the late 90's, but its now past its best. Ireland's stadium is a joke, they never got planning for one of the ends. 

Cardiff, for me, gets the crown. Location, ideal. Steepness, perfect. Atmosphere incredible. 

In the US, I'd flag the Atlanta Falcons Mercedes Benz stadium, a $1.6b build and as purpose built as you can get. You need to see it to believe it. Watch this video closely - the design takes stadia to new levels. Perhaps the LA Rams have trumped it but its breathtaking once inside. 

NANOJAMBO
10 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Good thread, this one. 

The Emirates got a shout out earlier, fails the test, as the lower tier doesn't have enough gradient so you spend the game standing up and sitting down trying to see the action at either end. I feel Hampden has the same problem - you need to be steep or weep. 

Twickenham got a mention earlier - for me its good but its in a god awful location. If a match lasts 100 minutes, be prepared to spend double that getting home. Murrayfield was impressive in the late 90's, but its now past its best. Ireland's stadium is a joke, they never got planning for one of the ends. 

Cardiff, for me, gets the crown. Location, ideal. Steepness, perfect. Atmosphere incredible. 

In the US, I'd flag the Atlanta Falcons Mercedes Benz stadium, a $1.6b build and as purpose built as you can get. You need to see it to believe it. Watch this video closely - the design takes stadia to new levels. Perhaps the LA Rams have trumped it but its breathtaking once inside. 

Good points re Twickers.

Getting through the retail park (IIRC) is absolutely bizzarre - queueing up at a pedestrian crossing in the thousands , trying to get to the stadium.  Post match is a nightmare for getting back to London.

Also , viewing is shockingly poor in the middle tier. We were right at the back of middle tier and it is impossible to see the video screens so it's really hard to follow what is going on.  I remember going to see Sarries v Wasps a few years ago and Guinness were giving away free radios (like the ones you see at the Crucible) and that was the only way we could follow play. 

NANOJAMBO
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's an incredibly good stadium, I doubt there's any better.

Olympic Stadium is great too. Lazio fans make some racket, despite there only being like 30,000 of them in there any time I've been.

I managed to get my daughter & her partner tickets for the Rome derby. She said it was absolutely insane atmosphere. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Good points re Twickers.

Getting through the retail park (IIRC) is absolutely bizzarre - queueing up at a pedestrian crossing in the thousands , trying to get to the stadium.  Post match is a nightmare for getting back to London.

Also , viewing is shockingly poor in the middle tier. We were right at the back of middle tier and it is impossible to see the video screens so it's really hard to follow what is going on.  I remember going to see Sarries v Wasps a few years ago and Guinness were giving away free radios (like the ones you see at the Crucible) and that was the only way we could follow play. 

Mate, I was there for the Rugby World Cup opener in 2015 and some poor fellow fell on the rail line afterwards. The train station was closed and there was 50,000 folks stranded in deepest suburbia from 10pm onwards. I didn't like it and have refrained from returning. That train station was a death trap - surprised that was the only serious accident I've witnessed. Fans deserve better. 

NANOJAMBO
Just now, Deodato said:

Mate, I was there for the Rugby World Cup opener in 2015 and some poor fellow fell on the rail line afterwards. The train station was closed and there was 50,000 folks stranded in deepest suburbia from 10pm onwards. I didn't like it and have refrained from returning. That train station was a death trap - surprised that was the only serious accident I've witnessed. Fans deserve better. 

We delayed going to the train station post match and went to the High St and got pissed then went back - there was STILL a massive queue.  I think we ended up waiting until about 10.00 that night. Horrendous. That's the main reason I've never been back.

Finlay James

Great thread.

Principality stadium in Cardiff is awesome.  I was there for Wales v Czech Republic in what was Ryan Giggs last international.  Hairs on my neck stood up when they sang the national anthem.

Olympic stadium in Rome, some atmosphere, especially the north terrace.  I saw Lazio v Bologna there and Di Canio scored a last minute winner.  The place went crazy.

Ajax Stadium is pretty special as is the Nou Camp.

Weakened Offender

I remember walking into Ibrox the season we were promoted, 83/84. Hadn't seen or heard (when they scored) anything like it. Mental. We had around 5000 fans there too. Sheer noise. 

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, obua said:

I think braga had rock at both ends and only two stands. If I remember correctly one end had a huge scoreboard.

I was at Braga. That was special. 

I was in the main stand at Ibrox for a Scotland v Georgia game and I thought it was crap, zero legroom and cramped. 

The food inside Ibrox is always bad in the away corner. 

Was in the main stand at Celtic park for Scotland v Ireland the same campaign and it was much better. I’m not surprised media always in there & never in the away corner think it’s an amazing stadium. 

ShortmanRossco

San Siro. All day. Went for my 21st for an arbitrary Inter game and the crowd was bananas. The answer isn't the Etihad. Poor man's San Siro and totally sanitised. Progression isn't always progress. 

47 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I remember walking into Ibrox the season we were promoted, 83/84. Hadn't seen or heard (when they scored) anything like it. Mental. We had around 5000 fans there too. Sheer noise. 

Top tier in those days,86 we had the whole end.2/0 win.

Edited by benny