Best Large Stadium

sauchiejambo

sauchiejambo

Simple question, what's the best large capacity (over 50k) stadium? and what makes it so good? Not necessarily in UK/ Scotland

Edited by sauchiejambo
Clarification

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• dannymack

• Batistuta87

• Maroon Sailor

St James Park is a hell of an arena. Love going to games there. Reminds me of Tynecastle somewhat. Tightly packed in a well built up area, excellent links to transport, bars etc. and a good balance of old meets new. 

Old Trafford is a good stadium too. Wouldn't mind experiencing a game there with a bit of atmosphere though... 

Of course, the Veltins Arena is a cracker. :thumbsup: 

St James park. Newcastle. City centre stadium. Just over two hours on the train. Cracking pubs and atmosphere.

rudiatemyhamster
3 minutes ago, bigdav said:

St James park. Newcastle. City centre stadium. Just over two hours on the train. Cracking pubs and atmosphere.

A remember going to a Newcastle v Leeds game about 20 years ago.  Good atmosphere.  No idea what the Geordies were saying until thankfully the guy sitting next to me translated 👍

SwindonJambo

Not a football stadium though it has hosted football before. The Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium) is a cracking stadium for a 74,000 capacity. City Centre location, a 5 minute walk from the railway station with more pubs and and eateries nearby than you can shake a stick at. Excellent concert acoustics too, with the roof open or closed. 

Maroon Sailor

St James' Park

Proper city cente stadium and can be some atmosphere if Newcastle are going well.

Harry Kane was praising it this week

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Not a football stadium though it has hosted football before. The Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium) is a cracking stadium for a 74,000 capacity. City Centre location, a 5 minute walk from the railway station with more pubs and and eateries nearby than you can shake a stick at. Excellent concert acoustics too, with the roof open or closed. 

Went to see a play off final there a few years ago - Reading v Walsall and the noise was something else.

Old school, proper fitbaw grounds for me. 

Dortmunds stadium is like Tynie with 60,000 more seats. 

The Bernabeu is imo a stadium fit for Galacticos. Classic old school ground. 

Folk might not like this but regardless of who plays there, Ibrox is a great ground and the facade of the old stand is beautiful. 

Anfield, one of the few English teams that play in a proper ground that isn't a soulless bowl with zero character. 

Villa Park - same reasons as Ibrox, not as nice but it's a nice old school ground. 

Mr Brightside

Twickenham is a fantastic large capacity stadium, was lucky to get a comp for the 38all game.

Football wise, I enjoyed the san siro, but that was more overall experience rather than experience of the stadium.

Edited by Mr Brightside

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Went to see a play off final there a few years ago - Reading v Walsall and the noise was something else.

Oh of course - it hosted all FA Cup Finals, League Cup Finals and Play offs while Wembley was being rebuilt, from 2001-2006.

Speaking of which, if ever there was a flip side thread, Wembley would get my vote for very worst large Stadium. An absolutely sterile antiseptic corporate bowl with all the same transport problems of the old Wembley but much worse because it’s bigger. The distance from the top tier to the pitch is laughable and concert acoustics are shocking for most of the audience. I suppose it’s good value - you get the actual concert and the echo a split second later. A total waste of £760m (14 years ago!).

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Folk might not like this but regardless of who plays there, Ibrox is a great ground and the facade of the old stand is beautiful. 

Anfield, one of the few English teams that play in a proper ground that isn't a soulless bowl with zero character. 

Villa Park - same reasons as Ibrox, not as nice but it's a nice old school ground. 

Ibrox is a good stadium, Tbh so is parkhead. 

Jambo-Fox

The top three stadiums (Tynie excluded 😉) that I’ve been in are,

1= 🖤 Arsenal - Emirates 

1= 🖤 MK Dons - Stadium MK

1= 🖤 Brighton - Amex 

based on, size of seats and leg room, view from seat,  facilities (toilets etc), and, refreshments (beer & food)!

Three great stadiums without a doubt!

De Kuip is probably my favourite stadium visited for atmosphere. I was about 11 years old on that trip, got my face badly smashed up by a riot officers baton as i ran away from the hooligans earlier in the day. Genuinely felt petrified about even going to the game but the atmosphere took that fear away and made it all an enjoyable trip 

Jambo-Fox
18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Have you been to these grounds?

- Ibrox is ok to view a match but overall  it’s passed its sell date 

- Anfield - some seats with good views but loads with bad views - well passed it’s usefulness date

- Villa Park - best to demolish and start again ….. all of it is well passed it’s sell buy date!!

X3 grounds that have seen better dsys!

Not been in any outside of Scotland but ny dad says the Maracana back in the day was unbelievable

Arthur Morgan
46 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Stade velodrome in Marseille, recommend taking in a game there if you ever get the chance.

Looks way better now with the roof imo.

Never been there though!

Edited by Arthur Morgan

jamboinglasgow

Not been to many outside the UK but was impressed with the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg. Cracking atmosphere and despite being 50,000 it still feels compact.

The MCG (though not a football stadium) is a pretty incredible stadium. Watched both cricket and Aussie Rules and despite a wildly different level of capacity between those two sports it is a special stadium where it has 100,000 capacity.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

- Anfield - some seats with good views but loads with bad views - well passed it’s usefulness date

- Villa Park - best to demolish and start again ….. all of it is well passed it’s sell buy date!!

I've been to the Bernabeu, Ibrox and Anfield. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Stadiums with history and character. Not some soulless bowl like 90% of modern grounds 

The Gorgie

Only large stadiums I've been to are Parkhead, Ibrox, Murrayfield, Hampden and St James park. Use to have a season ticket in the gallow gate end at St james, amazing atmosphere when going well.

jimbojambo

Braga ground was amazing with the rock at one end and the old Olympic Stadium, home to Hertha has an atmosphere all of it's own. We went on a foggy night in December and looking over at the abandoned Olympic pool was like looking back through time. As they say, if these walls could talk....

The Gorgie
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Stadiums with history and character. Not some soulless bowl like 90% of modern grounds 

Been down to Southamptons St marys for a Newcastle game. Although a nice looking stadium, it really is a soulless bowl. 

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ibrox is a good stadium, Tbh so is parkhead. 

Parkhead is a dump with a pillar right in the middle of the away end. It's also in a state of disrepair and needs some serious cash spent on it. 

Been to a few.

Have to say, I was most impressed with Athletic Bilbao.

The room was fantastic. The stadium was state-of-art. The toilets looked like something from the Ideal Homes Exhibition.

What was very noticeable was the stadiums ability to empty of fans* (post-match). Must've been designed that way.

*Hibs fans at Hampden didn't compare!

Samuel Camazzola

The Bernabeau is something else. Iconic and amazing how vast it is when pitch side. 

The Wanda Metropolitano is very impressive. A polar opposite set up from the Bernabeau (with it being out of town) but easy to get to. 

13 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Parkhead is a dump with a pillar right in the middle of the away end. It's also in a state of disrepair and needs some serious cash spent on it. 

Ibrox is a lovely stadium. Being built when it was, it seems to have had a bit more consideration than huge breeze-blocks and metal supports. It's showing a bit of age now, though.

Celtic Park is also a good stadium. But, it's in a serious sh*t-hole of a place. Also, having pillars in the home fans top-tier is a disgrace. Given that it's not an old stadium, it smacks of cost saving/penny pinching. Some clubs need to penny-pinch. But, surely not the biggest/greatest club in the world (Glasgow Celtic!).

Edited by MCW1976

Good large stadiums are where it doesn’t matter where you sit the experience is more or less the same. German grounds have pretty much got this sorted. Other grounds mentioned like Ibrox and parkhead and patchwork jobs where you can tell some as both seem unfinished. Celtic were talking about a new main stand and rangers made a hash of the corners when stuck TVs in instead of more seats!

Midloth_Iain

No longer modern, but for authenticity and history, the San Siro is my favourite.

image.jpeg.72dcb87a16ccc48952b9722cc97d04f0.jpeg

MILAN, ITALY - APRIL 15: Stadium San Siro Full Of Fans Football.. Stock  Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 111247513.

John Findlay
7 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

De Kuip is probably my favourite stadium visited for atmosphere. I was about 11 years old on that trip, got my face badly smashed up by a riot officers baton as i ran away from the hooligans earlier in the day. Genuinely felt petrified about even going to the game but the atmosphere took that fear away and made it all an enjoyable trip 

Even despite the guy you where sat next to on the coach? 😂

San Siro was great but a total dump outside. Wembley is rubbish now, no atmosphere due to the hospitality area round the middle. St James agree is great

John Findlay

I was fortunate to be in the Kop for Ian Rush's last game before he left Liverpool for Juventus. It was an experience and a half. St James park is good. Old Trafford was great with 9,000 Pompey supporters for a FA Cup game back in 2000/2001.

Jeffros Furios
8 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I'd rather visit these grounds than MK Dons 😀

The best one I've been to was the National Stadium in Warsaw. Amazing location and a brilliant stadium.

The Vicente Calderòn was brilliant too proper old school. Sad it's not there anymore but their new stadium looks great too.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ibrox needs money spent as well but both are good for atmosphere imo. 

I'm More thinking of the home crowd when thinking of stadiums Tbh. 

I like Goodison as well. 

Old fashioned stadiums can be good for atmosphere. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, MCW1976 said:

Been to a few.

Have to say, I was most impressed with Athletic Bilbao.

The room was fantastic. The stadium was state-of-art. The toilets looked like something from the Ideal Homes Exhibition.

What was very noticeable was the stadiums ability to empty of fans* (post-match). Must've been designed that way.

*Hibs fans at Hampden didn't compare!

Just had a look at A Bilbao's. 

1gql1x.jpg

Forever Hearts
22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ibrox needs money spent as well but both are good for atmosphere imo. 

I'm More thinking of the home crowd when thinking of stadiums Tbh. 

I like Goodison as well. 

Old fashioned stadiums can be good for atmosphere. 

Goodison is a classic old stadium with a great atmosphere. Unfortunately the twice I've been in it Everton got pumped 3-1 by Newcastle and Sunderland respectively. 

Not football (obviously) but The Brickyard (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) takes some beating. The Indy 500 is quite special.

I've not been to many very large stadiums, but I enjoyed the experience up in the Gods in the Bernabeu, despite a poor game.  

B

The Polish National Stadium is something to behold.

A bit sad I know but the multilevel underground carpark under the pitch blows my frock up.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Bernabeau is something else. Iconic and amazing how vast it is when pitch side. 

The Wanda Metropolitano is very impressive. A polar opposite set up from the Bernabeau (with it being out of town) but easy to get to. 

Been there twice Bernabeau

First time half way line up in the gods,great view but no atmosphere.

Second time away end up in the gods good atmosphere but watching through a net.

Looks the part from outside but a bit of a shithole.

The Wanda is great but so it should be as it is new.

San Siro the same as the Bernabeau.Looks great from the outside but a shithole inside.

Newcastle. is shite if you are in the away end as well and Old Trafford is falling apart and the legroom between the seats is a disgrace.

Top 3 stadiums in the EPL.Arsenal,Spurs and City.

Stadium of Light another great stadium 

The Germans do it the best though.

Shalke and Monchengladbach brilliant stadiums. 

Edited by benny

Byyy The Light

I’ve done:

Nou Camp

Bernabeu

Old Trafford

Anfield

White Hart Lane

Millenium

Out of that lot Millenium with the roof closed was outstanding 

TyphoonJambo
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Totally agree. Of the train, it's straight in front of you,round the corner Stuart Street,awesome and brilliant atmosphere. However,don't bother with the first two rows, you just see folks feet running past. You end up watching the big screens