Best Large Stadium

sauchiejambo

13 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

San Siro. All day. Went for my 21st for an arbitrary Inter game and the crowd was bananas. The answer isn't the Etihad. Poor man's San Siro and totally sanitised. Progression isn't always progress. 

Etihad has great views and great concourse for food and drink.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• dannymack

• Batistuta87

• frankblack

ShortmanRossco
10 minutes ago, benny said:

Etihad has great views and great concourse for food and drink.

Wasn't for me at all. Everything I'm against. Too much going on outside the ground, comfortable seats, technically fantastic product on the pitch and **** all atmosphere. And I say that sounding like an antiquated old man but I'm only 31 still. 

17 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Goodison is a classic old stadium with a great atmosphere. Unfortunately the twice I've been in it Everton got pumped 3-1 by Newcastle and Sunderland respectively. 

Really like Goodson, mind you it’s been a while since I was there, on my last visit a young kid breaking through scored his first professional goal in a win against Arsenal, wonder what ever happened to him, sure his name was Wayne something…..

Scotland v Norway 1989 was unbelievable at old hampden. 

Away at Rangers used to be a good laugh. Club deck is a bit scary. (Took my oldest to see Bayern Munich) 

Feck going to Parkhead to listen to those *****. v Hearts. (I dad the misfortune when I had to take my middle boy to a Celtic v St Johnstone game) .

Murrayfield was a awright for the short stint we had. 

Only big stadia I've been in.

Edited by ri Alban

Das Viertel Hearts

2 bowl stadiums as standout favourites:

Hampden easily my favourite - great atmosphere and some brilliant (and not so brilliant!!) memories

River Plate Monumental - not been but if win lottery that is on the bucket list as atmosphere off the scale 

Westfalen Stadion aka Signal Iduna - Scotland fans making a scene !! : ) 

Allianz Muenchen is decent but rarified atmosphere for Bayern - when 1860 Muenchen played with 20,000 fans they created a good atmosphere but stadium was just too big and empty!!

Amsterdam Arena / Cruyff - decent and high tech !! 

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland v Norway 1989 was unbelievable at old hampden. 

Away at Rangers used to be a good laugh. Club deck is a bit scary. (Took my oldest to see Bayern Munich) 

Feck going to Parkhead to listen to those *****. v Hearts. (I dad the misfortune when I had to take my middle boy to a Celtic v St Johnstone game) .

Murrayfield was a awright for the short stint we had. 

Only big stadia I've been in.

Was it the 3-1 Bayern game '89, I was with German pals in amongst the Bayern fans?

Teaching the to sing The Gers are out the cup and a few others. Hun with us wasn't happy.

Maracana mentioned earlier, when Hampdump was 100k terracing the Maracana was 200k. Astonishing.

Think it was a another dump though.

jimbojambo
15 hours ago, obua said:

I think braga had rock at both ends and only two stands. If I remember correctly one end had a huge scoreboard.

Yes, we were sat next to the scoreboard

jimbojambo
45 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Correct!  They charge a fortune too, and it's like watching a distant game of Subutteo.

I stopped giving them my money long ago.

The number of stairs at St James is a joke for a man in his sixties.

Weakened Offender
11 hours ago, benny said:

Top tier in those days,86 we had the whole end.2/0 win.

Pretty sure we had a couple of hundred in the enclosure that day too. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Was it the 3-1 Bayern game '89, I was with German pals in amongst the Bayern fans?

Teaching the to sing The Gers are out the cup and a few others. Hun with us wasn't happy.

Maracana mentioned earlier, when Hampdump was 100k terracing the Maracana was 200k. Astonishing.

Think it was a another dump though.

1-1 1999. I got to see the legend, Lothar Matthaus. Brilliant. 

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

We did. Whole of the Broomloan (7.5K), an overspill into the main stand and as you say a couple of hundred in the enclosure. That last bit would have been a bit hairy. 

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, sassenach said:

Correct!  They charge a fortune too, and it's like watching a distant game of Subutteo.

I stopped giving them my money long ago.

It's been a long time since Boro played there

andythejambo

My favourites are the Camp Nou, Waldstadion, Frankfurt and BC Place, Vancouver. In Frankfurt you can get your beer and wurst delivered to your seat during the game. In BC Place, most of the big fast food chains have outlets on the concourse, and again you can get beer and food delivered via your phone. 

Anyone else been to Croke? Big stadium due to the size of the pitch, probably a little too big for football not that they’ll be playing that there any time soon. 

Have to say that the new Wembley is an outstanding stadium, great view and first class facilities

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Have to say that the new Wembley is an outstanding stadium, great view and first class facilities

I'd have hopefully gone in the summer. Bloody covid :yadayada:

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Well organised to get back into central London after the game as well.

Samuel Camazzola
15 hours ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

2 bowl stadiums as standout favourites:

Hampden easily my favourite - great atmosphere and some brilliant (and not so brilliant!!) memories

River Plate Monumental - not been but if win lottery that is on the bucket list as atmosphere off the scale 

Westfalen Stadion aka Signal Iduna - Scotland fans making a scene !! : ) 

Allianz Muenchen is decent but rarified atmosphere for Bayern - when 1860 Muenchen played with 20,000 fans they created a good atmosphere but stadium was just too big and empty!!

Amsterdam Arena / Cruyff - decent and high tech !! 

My bucket list venue to attend too. I watched footage of an AC DC gig there too and it was just as nuts as the football crowd. 

Peakybunnet
8 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I was in the Govan Stand with my Hun mate. There were a few jambos scattered around me . I did get a few harsh words when JC scored his second. 

The HSV stadium in Hamburg which I think has about a 55000 capacity is excellent.  Kind of bowl shaped but really steep stands, in fact so steep that in the 3rd tier there are railings in front of all the seats to stop people tumbling down.

Shame about the utterly crap product on the pitch though.

On 08/05/2021 at 07:23, MCW1976 said:

Been to a few.

Have to say, I was most impressed with Athletic Bilbao.

The room was fantastic. The stadium was state-of-art. The toilets looked like something from the Ideal Homes Exhibition.

What was very noticeable was the stadiums ability to empty of fans* (post-match). Must've been designed that way.

*Hibs fans at Hampden didn't compare!

With you there...the tour is fantastic and in the City near the bus station

For an older stadium the Olympic Stadium in Berlin also has it's charms especially when you consider the history of the place

Edited by CJGJ

On 08/05/2021 at 11:47, moonraker said:

Loved Maracana, liked Allianz Arena, didn't think much of Wembley,Nou Camp was impressive but a crowd of 33k seemed lost in it.  Forgot I was at StJames Park last season, zero atmosphere compared to expectations 

De Kuip had a good atmosphere in the stadium,( eyes in the back of your head for outside). Anfield, not much other than the Hearts fans when I was there. (I was in the main stand so had to be cautious)

10 hours ago, moonraker said:

De Kuip had a good atmosphere in the stadium,( eyes in the back of your head for outside). Anfield, not much other than the Hearts fans when I was there. (I was in the main stand so had to be cautious)

Good shout for Rotterdam , tremendous atmosphere there.

On 07/05/2021 at 17:43, Cruyff said:

Old school, proper fitbaw grounds for me. 

Dortmunds stadium is like Tynie with 60,000 more seats. 

The Bernabeu is imo a stadium fit for Galacticos. Classic old school ground. 

Folk might not like this but regardless of who plays there, Ibrox is a great ground and the facade of the old stand is beautiful. 

Anfield, one of the few English teams that play in a proper ground that isn't a soulless bowl with zero character. 

Villa Park - same reasons as Ibrox, not as nice but it's a nice old school ground. 

Exactly. Incredible place. 

Septic Park (despite who plays there), its a decent stadium and have fond memories of being there to see us lift the cup in '98. I also think its better than Ibrox which I don't like at all.

On 07/05/2021 at 22:40, sauchiejambo said:

Simple question, what's the best large capacity (over 50k) stadium? and what makes it so good? Not necessarily in UK/ Scotland

Ibrox Stadium, for its age its simply the best for me, despite our disgusting and embarrassing record there (39 years for me) I've always liked going there.

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Septic Park (despite who plays there), its a decent stadium and have fond memories of being there to see us lift the cup in '98. I also think its better than Ibrox which I don't like at all.

At least you can watch the game from the away end at Ibrox, not been back to the Piggery since  our 2-3 win there away back in 2000, a cess pit with a restricted view, horrible home fans and stewards.

Edited by dannymack

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

At least you can watch the game from the away end at Ibrox, not been back to the Piggery since  our 2-3 win there away back in 2000, a cess pit with a restricted view, horrible home fans and stewards.

The stewards at septic are pricks to a man. The worst stewards I've come across were Hampden v Dundee U, 86 semi. Me Dad and my brother walking to the ground, hats flags scarves etc. Passed a load of polis got into the ground and this steward snapped my brothers flag in half and confiscated the cane. My Dad went mental at him and was lucky not to get lifted. My brother was 12 then.

21 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The stewards at septic are pricks to a man. The worst stewards I've come across were Hampden v Dundee U, 86 semi. Me Dad and my brother walking to the ground, hats flags scarves etc. Passed a load of polis got into the ground and this steward snapped my brothers flag in half and confiscated the cane. My Dad went mental at him and was lucky not to get lifted. My brother was 12 then.

Most folk tend to not have an issue with the law enforcers but when you have normal punters who are given an ounce of power by becoming a steward but in the same token choose to abuse that power that's when you have problems.

On 09/05/2021 at 16:45, Ribble said:

Was very fortunate to be at the very first FA Cup Final at the new Wembley, Chelsea v Man Utd, £95 for a face value ticket for the bottom tier, really great view of one of the worst games of football I've ever attended despite both teams having recognised players throughout their respective teams. 

Surprisingly the Community shield was only £20 a ticket with a lot less interest for that game.

9 hours ago, dannymack said:

Last time I was there was when Craig Gordon chucked it in for them to win 2-1 in stoppage time, 2006 I think.

Highlight of the day was watching a boy I went to school with resist removal by almost a dozen stewards for a good 15 mins, on the ground with his arms wrapped around the seatposts and legs kicking upwards

38 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Last time I was there was when Craig Gordon chucked it in for them to win 2-1 in stoppage time, 2006 I think.

Highlight of the day was watching a boy I went to school with resist removal by almost a dozen stewards for a good 15 mins, on the ground with his arms wrapped around the seatposts and legs kicking upwards

I'll bet his crime was simply his presence at the game, looked, breathed the wrong way, dressed inappropriately, these reprobates need a lesson in manners the hard way, there is no danger they treat the Rangers fans that way. 

I'm sure Ajax or SV Hamburg fans caused them grief, too much to handle on the night.

Yeah I remember the Craig Gordon incident, Hearts were winning 0-1, if im right we scored late on but the bottle went, again and done the usual in the closing stages, used to be a predicted outcome when we visited there, conceding last minute goals. The transistor radio was physically damaged after that OG 😟

On 09/05/2021 at 00:21, ShortmanRossco said:

San Siro. All day. Went for my 21st for an arbitrary Inter game and the crowd was bananas. The answer isn't the Etihad. Poor man's San Siro and totally sanitised. Progression isn't always progress. 

Every day of the week. Full, it is incredible.

16 minutes ago, Boab said:

Every day of the week. Full, it is incredible.

Stayed at the hotel opposite the stadium next to the 50's style American Diner.....the racecourse to the rear of the hotel

Night match and it was Napoli in town with a big following against Inter

With the food stalls etc all around and thousands milling around it was a great atmosphere.......and of course getting the tube/train to the ground with no driver !!.....oxygen required though for the higher areas and lets be honest it could do with being refurbished but of course there are plans for a new stadium on the site of the current one and surrounding space

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Stayed at the hotel opposite the stadium next to the 50's style American Diner.....the racecourse to the rear of the hotel

Night match and it was Napoli in town with a big following against Inter

With the food stalls etc all around and thousands milling around it was a great atmosphere.......and of course getting the tube/train to the ground with no driver !!.....oxygen required though for the higher areas and lets be honest it could do with being refurbished but of course there are plans for a new stadium on the site of the current one and surrounding space

Yip.

Love the pre-match buzz. A few beers, some Tuscan sausage panini and milling about. The hawkers can be a bit of a pain at the station but a couple of phrases in Italian, with an added curse, and you’re ok.

New stadium was planned for 2023-24 season. Not sure how the pandemic will affect that.

A great place to watch good football.

This was a good night, full house. 
Juve won 2-1 but an amazing experience. I was just above il diavolo’s left eye !

1295C499-06E6-4D85-8020-D0682C5F121E.jpeg

The Gorgie

Whenever I've been in the away end at Celtic park its been shite. Always get put behind that blood post. However I was at the Celtic v Man city 3-3 game and the atmosphere was incredible. From memory it was constant celtic songs and none of the IRA shite they usually spout.