Restless Natives

Mars plastic

Mars plastic

What an utterly brilliant film and I'd have to say one of my faves. Some great shots of Edinburgh from the mid 80's with cast and story to match. Does anyone know of anybody who was in the scenes in toon?

Neither Joe Mullaney or Vincent Friel went on to do anything else as big but I didn't realise until fairly recently that Friel was Kelly MacDonald's old boy in Trainspotting and the PF in The Angels Share, which is also another great movie.

It was on Iplayer for a while but it must have expired. :sad:

Mars plastic

I always thought the bus station scenes were filmed in Edinburgh but they were shot in Glasgow. 

Mind Cotters Tours? They had an office at the back of the old carpet shop on Lothian Road.

3 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

What an utterly brilliant film and I'd have to say one of my faves. Some great shots of Edinburgh from the mid 80's with cast and story to match. Does anyone know of anybody who was in the scenes in toon?

Neither Joe Mullaney or Vincent Friel went on to do anything else as big but I didn't realise until fairly recently that Friel was Kelly MacDonald's old boy in Trainspotting and the PF in The Angels Share, which is also another great movie.

Guy from school was an extra in it.

yvonnejambo

My mate from work was in the end scene. I was trying to find it to watch recently but couldn’t find it. I also love it and it must be the only film to ever mention Penicuik (where I’m from) 

I've had this on  my lockdown list for weeks but still haven't got round to watching it.

I watched That Sinking Feeling a few weeks back and it was brilliant. 

Mars plastic
44 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

My mate from work was in the end scene. I was trying to find it to watch recently but couldn’t find it. I also love it and it must be the only film to ever mention Penicuik (where I’m from) 

It was on Iplayer recently which is where I caught it. I've got the DVD in the cupboard somewhere too.

I P Knightley

I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time since it was first out. It is certainly of its time. Great fun to see it again but I don't think my kids would be at all interested.

Something I've never got round to watching but sure my Dad has a copy on DVD. Love watching anything filmed in Edinburgh. Remember watching Looking After Jojo a long time ago.

5 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Vince Friel is and was primarily a theatre actor and a pretty good one who never goes short of work. Nice bloke but rather sadly a fanatical Celtic fan. 

Салатные палочки

Highly recommend the restored version. The sound and picture quality is much better. Seeing the scenery in HD and heading that amazing soundtrack done the justice it deserves is incredible. 

I am a fan though and I am not sure if it would get many new fans these days.

I heard they are making a stage version and also Jack Black is a massive fan and plans to remake it set in America. I sincerely hope the latter doesn't happen. 

Screenshot_20210427-175549_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ec9af6448365c3cb5c4a65f6763c1a6a.jpg

Mars plastic
28 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Highly recommend the restored version. The sound and picture quality is much better. Seeing the scenery in HD and heading that amazing soundtrack done the justice it deserves is incredible. 

I am a fan though and I am not sure if it would get many new fans these days.

I heard they are making a stage version and also Jack Black is a massive fan and plans to remake it set in America. I sincerely hope the latter doesn't happen. 

Screenshot_20210427-175549_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ec9af6448365c3cb5c4a65f6763c1a6a.jpg

Oh Lordy, I'll be ordering that this evening. Cheers!

14 at the time when it was out and had a soft spot for Teri Lally. 

Great film and soundtrack - got the restored DV and watched it with the missus and my teenage daughters who hadn’t seen it but didn’t get why I made a thing about it. Nae clue.

I watched it on TV a few weeks ago. As someone said above, it’s of its time but still good and I enjoyed the nostalgia trip! Some proper acting chops in it too with Ned Beatty and Bernard Hill. 

2 hours ago, Hook said:

14 at the time when it was out and had a soft spot for Teri Lally. 

Is that wee Carol MacKay?

5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

And for that reason I cannot watch High Fidelity. Everything about the book - which is superb, by the way - just screams Englishness that, for me, the film just can't work. I've tried watching it a few times but just can't see it through to the end.

12 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Is that wee Carol MacKay?

I believe so. Like Bargain Hunt nowadays I was chuffed when my Mrs showed interest in Take the High Jump.

will-i-am-a-jambo
13 hours ago, frankblack said:

Good soundtrack by Big Country.  Its on The Seer reissue.

Agreed, great soundtrack. Loved the film even though it's very dated. 

16 hours ago, Locky said:

Something I've never got round to watching but sure my Dad has a copy on DVD. Love watching anything filmed in Edinburgh. Remember watching Looking After Jojo a long time ago.

I watched looking after jo jo recently. The 4 episodes are on YouTube.

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Haven’t seen this film since it came out. Is it streaming anywhere?

Doesn't look like its on the subscription services for free, but you can pay £2.49 to watch on PPV with Amazon Prime or Google Play.

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Doesn't look like its on the subscription services for free, but you can pay £2.49 to watch on PPV with Amazon Prime or Google Play.

Is it the remastered version?

Another favourite of mine from the 80's is Highlander. Seen it was on tv, but looked and sounded terrible. Found a remastered copy and the difference was incredible. 

1 hour ago, superjack said:

I watched looking after jo jo recently. The 4 episodes are on YouTube.

Nice one Superjack, will check that out.

I P Knightley
50 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Another favourite of mine from the 80's is Highlander. Seen it was on tv, but looked and sounded terrible. Found a remastered copy and the difference was incredible. 

I paid the £2.49 for Amazon Prime and it was the original, authentic, grainy version. Sure, it would have been nice to see all that scenery (& Clovenstone) in HD but as a trip down memory lane, seeing it in the original was just fine.

All roads lead to Gorgie
57 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I remember being in Glen Nevis when they were filming Highlander. They had built a whole mock village, stone sheilings with turfed roofs the lot, it looked authentic.

22 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember being in Glen Nevis when they were filming Highlander. They had built a whole mock village, stone sheilings with turfed roofs the lot, it looked authentic.

They built a wee castle next to Jimmy Saville's house in Glencoe, too.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Thanks. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
57 minutes ago, Dunks said:

They built a wee castle next to Jimmy Saville's house in Glencoe, too.

Glencoe still features a lot on screen from ads to Bond films.

Rupert Pupkin

Tremendous film.. “Lads I have here the 17th most wanted man in Scotland” 😂😂😂

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Tremendous film.. “Lads I have here the 17th most wanted man in Scotland” 😂😂😂

Thought I'd stumbled into another Kyle Lafferty thread by accident!!

6 minutes ago, Tott said:

Another 80s  film set in Edinburgh.

Without looking in the comments on youtube.

Name the pub?

Is that Robertson's on Rose Street? Edit: Nope - I don't think I know the place it mentions on youtube.

Edited by frankblack

been here before
6 minutes ago, Tott said:

Another 80s  film set in Edinburgh.

Without looking in the comments on youtube.

Name the pub?

Looks a wee bit like how the Dundee Arms was laid out. No idea though.

4 minutes ago, Tott said:

It is..nae points though.

Wrong thread 🙂

I recognised the windows so thought it was a maybe, but the real clincher was that Billy McElhany who was in the clip was a big deal in Craigmillar community groups. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I recognised the windows so thought it was a maybe, but the real clincher was that Billy McElhany who was in the clip was a big deal in Craigmillar community groups. 

Seen it  on the telly many moons ago,only tuned in cause it was set in Edinburgh.Cant mind  much about it mind you.  

2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Seen it  on the telly many moons ago,only tuned in cause it was set in Edinburgh.Cant mind  much about it mind you.  

Jenny McCrindle who was the main actress in that clip did a load of films set in Edinburgh around that time which was hilarious as she had the thickest Clydebank accent that she couldn’t hide. Quite sad seeing that clip in a way as she died about 5 years ago. Back in the day we were quite pally and moved in the same social circles. 

• 2 years later...
Салатные палочки

Reading on Twitter that Vincent Freill, a.k.a. the Wolf Man has sadly died. 

"Mum....does doing bad things give you warts?" 

4_Restless-Natives4717JPG.thumb.jpg.481f0f738a87619bf3740b406c44dab8.jpg

44 minutes ago, Салатные палочки said:

Reading on Twitter that Vincent Freill, a.k.a. the Wolf Man has sadly died. 

"Mum....does doing bad things give you warts?" 

4_Restless-Natives4717JPG.thumb.jpg.481f0f738a87619bf3740b406c44dab8.jpg

Damn, 

I knew Vince having worked with him a few times. Really nice bloke.  

John Findlay
On 27/04/2021 at 13:16, yvonnejambo said:

I wouldnae boast about that hen🤣

Carl Fredrickson

One of my all time favourite films. Sad to hear about Vince 

image.png.3e28e131be49960025a2c225d9f4455b.png

image.png.3a527248c95a7dd72694152e5df832c2.pngimage.png.ebdd0ce4077dcd755c9b02fd3428894f.png

Montgomery Brewster

What a film. 

Sad news about the wolf man 😞

A great film.

The press are annoying me by describing him as "the Trainspotting actor" and not "the Restless Natives star"

He had a tiny bit part in Trainspotting and his screen time was about 4 seconds FFS.

He was a leading role in Restless Natives!

Салатные палочки
49 minutes ago, Cade said:

A great film.

The press are annoying me by describing him as "the Trainspotting actor" and not "the Restless Natives star"

He had a tiny bit part in Trainspotting and his screen time was about 4 seconds FFS.

He was a leading role in Restless Natives!

It's like describing someone who played 159 times for Dundee United as the "ex-Celtic star" because the turned out for them once as a 17 year old. Pandering to the uneducated masses.