Walter Borthwick

Hashimoto

Sad to hear that. A great Hearts coach in the era of Robbo, JC and the like. RIP Walter.

SectionDJambo

Sad news.

Him, Alex MacDonald and Sandy Jardine turned Hearts from a joke club into a competitive, professional club.

Sad news. Had pleasure of meeting him at a hogmanay dinner one year. He was happy to talk and reminisce about his time. Definitely an integral part of some good years in the 80s

upgotheheads

Sorry to hear that, he lived quite near me as a boy in the Moredun / Fernieside area and not much older than me. I know he played a game or two with my elder brothers amateur team when he could only have been 12 or 13, my brother would have been around 17 or 18 at the time.

rudeskaboyuk

Aw so sad.

He was the 1st person to show me how to kick a ball when I was only very young and he lived in the end terrace house at Parkhead Drive. He was playing with St Mirren at the time  

Absolutely lovely guy.

R.I.P Walter

Wilson Wood, Would You?
3 minutes ago, assessor said:

Played bowls with him at Bainfield. RIP

Played against him a few times  too -nice guy, RIP. 

Sad to hear this. Can only echo other compliments. 

I remember him doing some sort of coaching school for a while back in the 80s and coming up to Wester Hailes pitches to take a session with local lads. 

RIP. Walter. 

So sorry to hear this news. I met Walter on a fair few occasions while doing my badges for youth football and honestly I couldn’t say a bad word about him.

A great guy and a real ambassador to youth football.

RIP Walter

I used to train with Hearts when i was young and it was Walter and Scott Crabbe that trained us - used to get changed in Tynecastle then busses and cars to Saughton Enclosure for training - RIP Walter 

Used to see him a lot-at Bainfield ,enjoyed Bowls , hope he took the right set with him , great guy , will be missed. 

RIP.  Wattie .

jambos are go!

Bumped into him at Juniper Green Bowling club and asked if he cou!d help with s ome Hearts quiz questions from his era. He went home and came back with a Journal detailing everything about everything that happened at Tynecastle each and every day of his time at Hearts. Incredible attention to detail.

R IP to a nice bloke.

JohnnyPunter01

Watty was the best football colleague and was a regular partner when we delivered coach education courses in the area. A brilliant guy, quality coach a top player in his day and a great sense of humour. Learned so munch from him. 

Had him back at Tynecastle here in 2013, reuniting him Allan & Jimmy with the Tennents Sixes trophy they won in ‘91 when Watty took the team. One of life’s really good guys 😔

Chalky 

63D80F31-1ADC-4D5D-838E-24836FF6DBC8.jpeg

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

I'm hearing news today that Walter Borthwick has sadly passed away

RIP

sad news put me through my coaching badges when he came down to Gala with Jim Fleeting lovely man RIP WB

Guess The Crowd
1 minute ago, Ally Bee said:

Sorry to hear about Walter. Big memories of him crossing in to Henry in the pre match warm ups.

Happened to be in same hotel as Hearts squad in 1989, just before infamous SC Quarter final with Celtic.

Chatted away for ages to Doddie and Walter, who was an exceptionally nice guy. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Sad news. Was an important part of the revival of the club.

As others have said his crossing of the ball in the warm up was first rate.

Bryan Ellis

Walter will be sadly missed by all, Walter played in our Golfing Group at Baberton Golf Club and was always the joker of the pack and great company to be around. I was having a laugh with Walter on Thursday past and we were meant to be sitting together in Baberton Golf Club this coming Monday for a meal. Totally devastated that will no longer be playing together. R.I.P  Walter miss you. 

SwindonJambo

Part of the backroom team when I was first attracted to the club in the 80s. Played a big part in the hauling the club from near penury and ridicule to being a top rate competitive force in less than 5 years.

RIP Walter and Thanks Very Much for all you did for Hearts.