• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just now, WageThief said:

If he isn't then I certainly wouldn't want him replacing Smith!

My memory might be failing me but did he not have some decent games just before he got injured?

RustyRightPeg

Cammy Logan is a ready made fit for RWB when fit.  Patience required with Smith while he rehabs.

Just now, GinRummy said:

My memory might be failing me but did he not have some decent games just before he got injured?

I have always kinda liked him, I thought he was good when he first broke into the team.  Back when Berra was still a wall.  

I suppose it is what Neilson gets paid the big bucks for.  I would just be more happy with our options to replace Boyce than I would Smith.  I'd rather we used Smith as a CB and a backup RWB.

augusthearts
7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I think Brandon is worth a chance 

I agree. He has his moments certainly. Worth a chance if needed.

Just now, WageThief said:

I have always kinda liked him, I thought he was good when he first broke into the team.  Back when Berra was still a wall.  

I suppose it is what Neilson gets paid the big bucks for.  I would just be more happy with our options to replace Boyce than I would Smith.  I'd rather we used Smith as a CB and a backup RWB.

Fair. Maybe Logan gonna get a chance as others have said above. RWB seems such an obvious position to fill, I’m struggling to think why we haven’t done it. Maybe going to a back 4? Prefer the back 3 tbh. 

Bazzas right boot

Relatively happy with the squad, but if the likes of Souttar or Boyce gets injured it could go sideways quickly. 

On our demotion season we had so many injuries it gives me the fear. 

Imagine, Boyce, Souttar and Ginnelly All out for a long periods like Berra, Naismith and Djoum/ Haring were. 

It's a hard balance to get right tho. Not many good players want to play second fiddle at clubs like ours so you need to boost the quality of the first 14/15 and hope for decent youngsters to fill in for short periods if required. 

Bit luck required for a good season. 

Ainsley Harriott
55 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Bit sexist that, could be debbie the maintenance woman and tam the new cleaner. 😏

Tams actually Tamara she identifies as male 

2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Another team has gazumped us for our striker.

Who and who was the striker?

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who and who was the striker?

No idea if true but Michael Obafemi from Southampton but looks like Swansea have got him

6 minutes ago, augusthearts said:

I agree. He has his moments certainly. Worth a chance if needed.

The thing about him is he looked good pushing forward. It was his defensive work that let him down at times. I think he could do well in our current formation. 

Obviously, he might not be the same after such a bad injury. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Fair. Maybe Logan gonna get a chance as others have said above. RWB seems such an obvious position to fill, I’m struggling to think why we haven’t done it. Maybe going to a back 4? Prefer the back 3 tbh. 

Yeah I suppose if Logan is half as good as Hickey my fears will be unfounded.  Maybe Moore can fill in at RB in a 4?  Although I agree we are better with 3.

4 minutes ago, CAR said:

No idea if true but Michael Obafemi from Southampton but looks like Swansea have got him

Bugger

BackOfTheNet

See, I always wonder how close these things actually were to happening. Maybe Hearts made contact to players (via their agents or clubs) who didn’t outright say no, and that started the ball rolling on people saying things like “working on one or two in”. But in reality the player/agent/club also didn’t outright say no to about 5 or 6 clubs and weighed up offers. My guess is we were never really that close to another signing. Maybe a 50/50 chance at most.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Relatively happy with the squad, but if the likes of Souttar or Boyce gets injured it could go sideways quickly. 

On our demotion season we had so many injuries it gives me the fear. 

Imagine, Boyce, Souttar and Ginnelly All out for a long periods like Berra, Naismith and Djoum/ Haring were. 

It's a hard balance to get right tho. Not many good players want to play second fiddle at clubs like ours so you need to boost the quality of the first 14/15 and hope for decent youngsters to fill in for short periods if required. 

Bit luck required for a good season. 

Same as every season and every club. No-one's had an injury crisis like our 2-year one under Levein so it's understandable we're all nervous whenever a player goes down. Still mystifies me that some people's assessment of 18/19 (after the injuries started) and 19/20 don't even mention the injuries, even pundits in the media ignore it.

Look at Rangers crying this season when they've got multi-million pound replacements coming in for just one or two missing key players. Or Hibs complaining about missing Doige and defenders. We had that for a whole season or two, but without the money to replace them.

Souttar coming back shows how much even just one key player can make a difference to a team, and we were missing 5-8 key players for almost 2 seasons. Definitely need luck with injuries to have a good season - all our good seasons have that in common.

adambraejambo

Just had a look at forwards out of contract. There are loads that could do us a job. Including Isma Gonzalves who was freed on 18th of this month. I just plucking his name from nowhere not saying we will sign him. Just because we seem to have lost out on our target not end of the world. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Same as every season and every club. No-one's had an injury crisis like our 2-year one under Levein so it's understandable we're all nervous whenever a player goes down. Still mystifies me that some people's assessment of 18/19 (after the injuries started) and 19/20 don't even mention the injuries, even pundits in the media ignore it.

Look at Rangers crying this season when they've got multi-million pound replacements coming in for just one or two missing key players. Or Hibs complaining about missing Doige and defenders. We had that for a whole season or two, but without the money to replace them.

Souttar coming back shows how much even just one key player can make a difference to a team, and we were missing 5-8 key players for almost 2 seasons. Definitely need luck with injuries to have a good season - all our good seasons have that in common.

Agreed 

Uncanny how transfer windows tend to pan out the same way. Everyone panicking halfway through at the lack of signings, then prematurely proclaiming it our best transfer window since 2005 on the last day.

Baningime looks like a great signing, and I'm encouraged by the reports on the others we've brought in. There's an evident change of approach with the new recruitment team and it's refreshing to be bringing in young players who've shown promise at a good level or are among the better players in lesser leagues.

It's worth saying, though, that 3 of the 5 new signings are unknown quantities. We don't actually know if Woodburn, Devlin or Moore will be up to it yet. I'm pretty confident they will be, but I'm not ready to say it's been an amazing window just yet.

I also really think we needed a striker with pace who can also play wide in a three. Ginnelly is our only option with pace in that area but he's still relatively unproven at this level and, even if we're lucky enough to keep him fit throughout the season, he's not going to perform for 90 minutes every week. If Boyce gets injured then things look grim.

I'm fairly sure the management already know this, so hopefully something pops up in the free agent market.

Bazzas right boot

Just a thought - is Naismith able to step in for a game it two of the shit hit the fan? 

Does he still train and keep himself in shape or chucked it completely for coaching? 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See, I always wonder how close these things actually were to happening. Maybe Hearts made contact to players (via their agents or clubs) who didn’t outright say no, and that started the ball rolling on people saying things like “working on one or two in”. But in reality the player/agent/club also didn’t outright say no to about 5 or 6 clubs and weighed up offers. My guess is we were never really that close to another signing. Maybe a 50/50 chance at most.

Like if someone on sisterfister.net had said Lafferty was at theirs to sign a couple of years back. Would have been right…for a few seconds 😂

StevenNaismith
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Just a thought - is Naismith able to step in for a game it two of the shit hit the fan? 

Does he still train and keep himself in shape or chucked it completely for coaching? 

I’m too auld mate but wouldn’t see the team struggle if they needed me to dig out the togs

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, DC_92 said:

I also really think we needed a striker with pace who can also play wide in a three. Ginnelly is our only option with pace in that area but he's still relatively unproven at this level and, even if we're lucky enough to keep him fit throughout the season, he's not going to perform for 90 minutes every week. If Boyce gets injured then things look grim.

Tin hat on I do think Wighton was worth keeping on as a squad member - a pacey wing forward who can also play central and knows where the goal is (sometimes). Not the best but not the worst. On the other hand, it's encouraging we're focusing on getting better than him. I think we'll be relying on wing-forwards in that front 3 - GMS, Ginnelly, Woddburn, Henderson - with Gnando as an option in the middle. He is our only other option in the middle though which could be a worry.

Under the floodlight
11 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Peter Ian Staker gazumping us for Obafemi. Transfer clearly more appealing than a loan. 

The swan's escaped again.

1 hour ago, theshed said:

So no new keeper? 

That’s another worry esp with Covid knocking around 

Get Bobby Zlamal back  👀

Bazzas right boot
Just now, StevenNaismith said:

I’m too auld mate but wouldn’t see the team struggle if they needed me to dig out the togs

Good man. 

You'll be more mobile than McLean was. 

7 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Uncanny how transfer windows tend to pan out the same way. Everyone panicking halfway through at the lack of signings, then prematurely proclaiming it our best transfer window since 2005 on the last day.

Baningime looks like a great signing, and I'm encouraged by the reports on the others we've brought in. There's an evident change of approach with the new recruitment team and it's refreshing to be bringing in young players who've shown promise at a good level or are among the better players in lesser leagues.

It's worth saying, though, that 3 of the 5 new signings are unknown quantities. We don't actually know if Woodburn, Devlin or Moore will be up to it yet. I'm pretty confident they will be, but I'm not ready to say it's been an amazing window just yet.

I'm fairly sure the management already know this, so hopefully something pops up in the free agent market.

Excellent post 👏🏻👍

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good post.

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Tin hat on I do think Wighton was worth keeping on as a squad member - a pacey wing forward who can also play central and knows where the goal is (sometimes). Not the best but not the worst. On the other hand, it's encouraging we're focusing on getting better than him. I think we'll be relying on wing-forwards in that front 3 - GMS, Ginnelly, Woddburn, Henderson - with Gnando as an option in the middle. He is our only other option in the middle though which could be a worry.

It's a straight-jacket you need not a tin hat.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

So is it just Devlin then? I’ve been working last two hours and can’t be arsed going through 300 odd posts 

Not sure mate. Waiting on Bongo’s 2 players that went into the Oriam for a tour coming back out.  

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

So is it just Devlin then? I’ve been working last two hours and can’t be arsed going through 300 odd posts 

Those tough two hour shifts eh? 😀. Aye, Devlin announced and club thanking recruitment team fro their efforts this window. 

Holyrood_Hearts
42 minutes ago, WageThief said:

More light on right-backs I think. I'd rather see Woodburn, Gnando, or even Walker replace Boyce more than I would Brandon replace Smith.

Has Brandon still not a squad number?

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He’s not even getting a start for Dunfermline. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Those tough two hour shifts eh? 😀. Aye, Devlin announced and club thanking recruitment team fro their efforts this window. 

Haha, almost need a beer after the at one! 

sound ominous then :( 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

I think we all agreed that we were weakest in midfield.

So far this transfer window we've brought in:

Josh Ginnelly (left sided winger)
Beni Baningime (central midfield)
Ben Woodburn (attacking midfield)

Cammy Devlin (central midfield)

Beni hit the ground running, jury's out on the rest.

For the first time in ages we're filling an obvious deficiency in the team.

I respect your opinion but dont agree. IMO we are weakest in out and out strikers - midfield we have plenty. Ginnelly set up Gnando from the right wing. Ben can play either flank and has done.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***