***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Only slight thing I’d disagree on is number 3, when Halkett signed he was 24, prime age for a CB is 27-31 in my opinion. Takes years for most to figure out the positional sense of the game and perfect it to consistency, which makes it their prime years. Each player is different of course.

aye that’s a fair observation.  

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Excellent post. We need more of this type of chat.

I’ll mark down your whelms for the selective editing, but I’ll mark up some whelms for your gumption and moxie!

Francis Albert
22 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Can’t quite understand the negativity unless this was our only signing between now and the end of the window which it obviously won’t be.  Was Jimmy Dunne not a similar age?  We might have a young player with his attitude and desire and I believe he can fill in as left sided central half or left back , or possibly midfield.   Hate how we are so negative and almost have made up our minds on a young player before we even see him in action.     Good luck to they guy.  

Can't understand the emphasis on the "negativity" on here. Apart from a handful of posters (one particularly prolific one) the majority of posts in the 20 pages or so have been gushingly positive for a 21 year old with a total of 14 first team appearances to his name, none in a top league. Others have been understandably cautious about the club hype of the signing, while wishing Cochrane all the best and hoping he will prove a rare good signing.   

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agreed. We Some simply don’t understand the economic reality of football today . The equivalent of the Flogel’s or the Adams of this world would command a £20k per week salary today.

We simply cannot afford players with good quality in their prime. Neither can anyone else in Scotland outside of Glasgow. 

100%

My accountant also works for a number of EFL players. Although,  I don’t know who I know they are fairly typical representation of those leagues. 

One thing he did tell me is he is extremely busy as a lot need advice at the moment. 

It appears contract offered are on very reduced terms, for example moving to a new club the wages just aren’t there. 

New contracts at current clubs aren’t as bad, because obviously nothing much is changing. 

So his clients are talking about a very static market. 

That’s England where there is a lot more to spend. 

It’s not just a case of not having the money to sign them but the opportunity as well. 

People who slate us for not using our youth are not seeing the bigger picture. Look at the two teams who played Rose, absolutely littered with youth, then look at all the older players we let go, seems clear to me where the emphasis is. Add to that Cochrane and a few more younger players and they are doing what they said they wanted to do 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Zen Jambo said:

100%

My accountant also works for a number of EFL players. Although,  I don’t know who I know they are fairly typical representation of those leagues. 

One thing he did tell me is he is extremely busy as a lot need advice at the moment. 

It appears contract offered are on very reduced terms, for example moving to a new club the wages just aren’t there. 

New contracts at current clubs aren’t as bad, because obviously nothing much is changing. 

So his clients are talking about a very static market. 

That’s England where there is a lot more to spend. 

It’s not just a case of not having the money to sign them but the opportunity as well. 

The clubs have gone 18 months without any match day revenue so this isn't particularly surprising. 

Signing players released or struggling to break into EPL team's has not done Brentford any harm.  Hearts have great facilities and Edinburgh is a fantastic city, both great selling points.  It's a win win situation to any young, motivated player who wants to move onto better things.  Give us a couple of seasons, if you impress you move on to better things and we hopefully get a decent fee.

2 minutes ago, ericb said:

People who slate us for not using our youth are not seeing the bigger picture. Look at the two teams who played Rose, absolutely littered with youth, then look at all the older players we let go, seems clear to me where the emphasis is. Add to that Cochrane and a few more younger players and they are doing what they said they wanted to do 

Would tend to agree Eric. Good signs so far and hope it continues.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Can't understand the emphasis on the "negativity" on here. Apart from a handful of posters (one particularly prolific one) the majority of posts in the 20 pages or so have been gushingly positive for a 21 year old with a total of 14 first team appearances to his name, none in a top league. Others have been understandably cautious about the club hype of the signing, while wishing Cochrane all the best and hoping he will prove a rare good signing.   

You'll have to define gushingly positive for me, I simply haven't seen it. Most sensible people seem to realise its a decent bit of cover on the left hand side and the kid has had decent reviews. 

We must have different ideas of gushing

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe if Ann had done the right thing last season with Robbie that wouldnt be the case. However she never learns.

Nah, same folk would have just found a different way to show they are the master of disgruntlement, Neilsons replacement would then be getting it in the neck

Bad Religion
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Nah, same folk would have just found a different way to show they are the master of disgruntlement, Neilsons replacement would then be getting it in the neck

That isn’t true. 

39 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Quite the contrary, experienced KBer here. The rule is, stay off the transfer thread for 24 hours after new players sign as guaranteed to be 4 or 5 pages of trolling pish from shitebag posters who hate Hearts and seek to derail any positivity, the standard MO of football forum trolls. Then decent posts will start to filter through the next day. I assume that's been the case over the last few pages?  

The summer business as a whole is looking OK. We didn't actually need that many signings in terms of numbers, because the squad was far too big. If you look at our starting 11 it is already the 5th best in the Premiership on paper as things stand. The business is all about, can we take it above Hibs and Aberdeen and also, get back to Hampden. 

We have binned 2 flop goalkeepers who were probably on at least 3 or 4 grand a week between them, Doyle and Zlamal, for a hard working cheap #2 Stewart. We are now only paying the 2nd choice keeper about 500 quid a week probably. Rather than paying 2 30+ year olds, signed by Levein as starters on full first team pay. Pragmatic business, average age = reduced. 

We've stuck by a fans favourite Josh Ginelly, a potentially explosive player who may be the surprise package of the season if he stays fit, potential POTY contender. 24 year old, average age = reduced.

Now we've brought in a good young lad from the Premier League, let's hope he's more another Jimmy Dunne than another Shaughnessy. Berra and White out, Cochrane in, average age = massively reduced.

Also we've given pro deals to 11 youth players as well, and invested cash into 2 new senior youth coaching staff, Naismith and McLaughlan. Both of whose remits are on getting youth up to required standards for the first team where recent batches have failed due to the lack of support when on the fringes of the first team squad.

To me all of this now forms a clear pattern of what the priority is for the summer business, now that he's got the transitional promotion season out the way. 

The most sensible post I've read on here in weeks. 

Couldn't agree more

54 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe if Ann had done the right thing last season with Robbie that wouldnt be the case. However she never learns.

Yep.  The minute Neilson is out the door, I'll renew.

Rogue Daddy
4 minutes ago, keifrb said:

Signing players released or struggling to break into EPL team's has not done Brentford any harm.  Hearts have great facilities and Edinburgh is a fantastic city, both great selling points.  It's a win win situation to any young, motivated player who wants to move onto better things.  Give us a couple of seasons, if you impress you move on to better things and we hopefully get a decent fee.

Agree, Edinburgh and Hearts are excellent selling points. And what should also be a selling point is offering a platform to players that want to prove themselves by winning the league and emptying the uglies. If we could find players (and future managers) that are motivated and want to prove themselves, that believe in themselves and their abilities - I would think we are the perfect club. We have the foundations, we're stable, we have funds available to us that other Scottish clubs don't - we SHOULD be challenging. We should be a club that players want to come to, to prove themselves.

It's very promising to see us inserting qualified individuals in board, recruitment and youth positions this year, it almost feels like we're acting like a top club should and the club should be applauded for this. Another couple of decent signings and who knows, may this could be start we should have had 5 years ago.

I am no psychologist but looking at some posts I think we have a fair few angry sad bitter negative people on here who in reality could use someone to talk to.

I feel it goes beyond football.

36 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I don’t think the club have hyped him anymore than they would for any player coming in. Unless I’ve missed it it’s been the usual PR exercise of the player talking about the club and vice versa.

If for example we did what we’ve done in the past with both Vanecek and Clare, talking them up to be world beaters that will light the league up, then fair enough.

I also don’t think anyone is getting carried away on here regarding a young loan signing. Most have said it’s good the he has versatility or that he comes across well but apart from that I don’t seen the ‘gushingly positive’ comments you mention.

Unfortunately there’s a number on here who can’t let go that Neilson wasn’t sacked and are immensely negative regarding everything coming out of the club. The majority wanted Neilson gone, including me, but it’s not happening so let’s just wait and see what happens. If he fails next season then batter in but until then what’s the point?!

5 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

I am no psychologist but looking at some posts I think we have a fair few angry sad bitter negative people on here who in reality could use someone to talk to.

I feel it goes beyond football.

Maybe posting on here is their way of venting their anger.

41 minutes ago, ericb said:

Totally agree with this the young lads have been given a chance to prove their good enough to make the 1st team squad

It's up to them to prove it in training and in these matches and hopefully they do

gorgie rd eh11
58 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

"majority" "gushingly positive"

Absolute garbage.

8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I just wish him well and hope that four or five of our younger players will make a real impact this season..I'm very optimistic about the impact Ginnelly will make and I look forward to 2 or 3 more new signings.

All things considered I think we're looking pretty good as long as we put in fully committed performances every week, home and away.

I have however been practicing my booing as Plan B.

🤣

1 hour ago, keifrb said:

:spoton:

1 hour ago, ericb said:

It's a good point, some folk can't see the woods for the massive chip on their shoulders.

Another point, and this is hard for even the most reasonable of us, is that perhaps the youth we have at 18-20 years old simply aren't good enough.  I hope that isn't the case and if it is, it's the club's fault.  But we can all see wholesale changes being made behind the scenes, so it's been recognised, as has the shan recruitment, and is being dealt with.

None of this is science, not black and white.  And it's all honest - yes a hash has been made of things, but not on purpose, like!

Realistically, we'll see one player a year perhaps break through in any meaningful way, and that would be a very high yield really.  So if, say, Cammy Logan plays 20+ games this year, that's cool.  And then someone else next year, maybe Watson, or Darge or Stone, then the next, then the next.  What we don't have is a couple of players in the team older than Cammy at age 21, 22, 23 who have nailed positions, simply because we haven't produced or kept them.  Hendo I suppose, but he's yet to really grasp it (still might).

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Whats the difference between the 2? They both play mainly U23 football Premier League for a living

The difference is we've seen Jimmy and what he can do, how he plays and what he can bring to the team.  This young lad is an unknown quantity and I for one will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

The difference is we've seen Jimmy and what he can do, how he plays and what he can bring to the team.  This young lad is an unknown quantity and I for one will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Any reasonable person would. 

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I think the fact that fans at Brighton who know a bit about him hoped and thought he'd be kept to be part of their squad this season is decent testimony.  Never know, but got a feeling he'll do a good job for us.

Kind of see a much better Connor Randall type here!

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Quite the contrary, experienced KBer here. The rule is, stay off the transfer thread for 24 hours after new players sign as guaranteed to be 4 or 5 pages of trolling pish from shitebag posters who hate Hearts and seek to derail any positivity, the standard MO of football forum trolls. Then decent posts will start to filter through the next day. I assume that's been the case over the last few pages?  

The summer business as a whole is looking OK. We didn't actually need that many signings in terms of numbers, because the squad was far too big. If you look at our starting 11 it is already the 5th best in the Premiership on paper as things stand. The business is all about, can we take it above Hibs and Aberdeen and also, get back to Hampden. 

We have binned 2 flop goalkeepers who were probably on at least 3 or 4 grand a week between them, Doyle and Zlamal, for a hard working cheap #2 Stewart. We are now only paying the 2nd choice keeper about 500 quid a week probably. Rather than paying 2 30+ year olds, signed by Levein as starters on full first team pay. Pragmatic business, average age = reduced. 

We've stuck by a fans favourite Josh Ginelly, a potentially explosive player who may be the surprise package of the season if he stays fit, potential POTY contender. 24 year old, average age = reduced.

Now we've brought in a good young lad from the Premier League, let's hope he's more another Jimmy Dunne than another Shaughnessy. Berra and White out, Cochrane in, average age = massively reduced.

Also we've given pro deals to 11 youth players as well, and invested cash into 2 new senior youth coaching staff, Naismith and McLaughlan. Both of whose remits are on getting youth up to required standards for the first team where recent batches have failed due to the lack of support when on the fringes of the first team squad.

To me all of this now forms a clear pattern of what the priority is for the summer business, now that he's got the transitional promotion season out the way. 

Very refreshing to read this! 

:thumbsup:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

That isn’t true. 

Evidence on this forum is to the contrary

Heartsofgold
13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think the fact that fans at Brighton who know a bit about him hoped and thought he'd be kept to be part of their squad this season is decent testimony.  Never know, but got a feeling he'll do a good job for us.

Kind of see a much better Connor Randall type here!

I agree.  What we seem to forget is that Brighton are a very good team and were at a EPL level.  If their fans hoped to keep this lad then he must be fairly decent.

I'm not going to label him yet but I'm really hoping that we can give him his own label and then in the future hang the 'Alex Cochrane type' tag around the neck of some young lads we bring to the club in the years to come!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Absolutely. We have seen Dunne, Dunne has done very little else in his time since leaving us, imaginations seeming to be running wild on his actual worth. This lad could turn up and do exactly the same, similar clubs similarly struggling to make that step into Premier football.

5 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

How do you use the ignore user feature if you're viewing the site on a phone? I've done it before but I've since forgotten.

Would be really useful right now, thanks in advance 

click on the menu bit top right , then account , then ignored user.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This is a superb post, mate

RustyRightPeg

This is someone who gets it. Terrific post mate.

JamboBornNBred

Great Post

4 hours ago, Chaps said:

We released him because he wasn’t deemed good enough to play as CB. It wasn’t until he signed for Hibs he switched to LB.

Even more worrying that we pigeon holed him as a CH, yet another club seen potential as a LB and are allegedly turning down £2.5m bids for.

This is for all you torn faced numpties greeting about not having signed a superstar yet. 

ADA0F9E1-D892-41D1-8307-A0C58FECFE46.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Even more worrying that we pigeon holed him as a CH, yet another club seen potential as a LB and are allegedly turning down £2.5m bids for.

Ach I think these things happen.  Not one to get knickers in twist unless you were there and saw it yourself, you know...

It clicks with guys at all different stages - yes we need to be better at getting the best out of people, we really do - but sometimes someone just turns in to a player nobody saw coming.  Happens a lot.

Maybe we tried him at LB and he was pony!

We let him go cos he wasn't showing enough, rather than sulk, the kid re-evaluated his game and has done really well.  It's a good news story about a Scottish kid with the right attitude for once.  Perhaps just no one did anything wrong here.

If it was a pattern, I'd be worried, but can't think of anyone else we've released who has really haunted us.  A few who played first team like Scott Robinson, yeah, but not as if we've missed millions there, even though he's done well to get back on track.

Phil D. Corners
17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

This is for all you torn faced numpties greeting about not having signed a superstar yet. 

ADA0F9E1-D892-41D1-8307-A0C58FECFE46.jpeg

I’m like this as we still haven’t signed a whelm! 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Simply put our income stream is way less than it is at this time of the season. Our ST sales are hugely down in both numbers and income. 

I was going over the whole season/ financial year. 

No point in debating it Tbh, it can easily be compared next season. 

IMO we are better of financially this season compared to last and in a better position than many Scottish clubs mainly due to Anderson making sure that we never made a huge loss

Time will tell tho. 

I don't think we're skint and I expect us to sign players to improve the team. 

Stendelnator

Finances should be easy to understand. Thousands of people will have deferred season tickets to this season therefore they will not be paying for this season. We could have 12,000 season ticket holders but potentially only get the money for half of that. 

So theoretically yes our money should actually be down compared to last season 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

In the good old days of Robbie Mark 1.0 when he was doing triple Session training and all that good stuff that helped make us really entertaining he mentioned two things about his preferred formation.

1. It was 3-4-3

2. It was best that the left sided defender in the 3 was an adaptable player that could play left back and left CB.

Cochrane ticks that box as does Kingsley. Maybe we have a slightly poorer mans version of Tierney and Andy Robertson 😂

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I was going over the whole season/ financial year. 

No point in debating it Tbh, it can easily be compared next season. 

IMO we are better of financially this season compared to last and in a better position than many Scottish clubs mainly due to Anderson making sure that we never made a huge loss

Time will tell tho. 

I don't think we're skint and I expect us to sign players to improve the team. 

Agree. Folk will be holding off on STs until they know exactly what's happening in terms of actually getting into games. I'm one of them. I'm sure revenue will climb once we know more. The third kit looks to have sold in big numbers too, which will be a small boost but still a boost. A topper of a home kit and we could be pulling in a lot of money from the retail side.

Also look at the money we've saved on wages after the departure of two top earners (Naismith and Berra), a couple of mid-range earners (Doyle, Zlamal, White, Lee), and a handful of lower enders (Cochrane, Irving, Frear, Wighton) - and Damour to follow hopefully. We should have some money available in the wage budget so I really hope we can offer some decent players some decent contracts. Would also like to see Souttar moved into the high earner category after (fingers crossed) an injury free start to the season. 

Edited by Batistuta87

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Absolutely. We have seen Dunne, Dunne has done very little else in his time since leaving us, imaginations seeming to be running wild on his actual worth. This lad could turn up and do exactly the same, similar clubs similarly struggling to make that step into Premier football.

bang on the money. You’d think Dunne was Beckenbauer the way some are going on about him.  

20 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m like this as we still haven’t signed a whelm! 

I have spare rolls 😉😂

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

bang on the money. You’d think Dunne was Beckenbauer the way some are going on about him.  

Best one I've seen was someone claiming Burnley were paying him 10x more than we could, i.e. £30-40k p/w.

Very difficult to get information from my regular sources. It would appear Joe Savage has really tightened the organisation. If I'm honest its good to know the club are stopping the leaks. It is a big improvement, despite it being disappointing not to get a heads up or info. Good chance that I will soon stop receiving info from inside the club soon. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Best one I've seen was someone claiming Burnley were paying him 10x more than we could, i.e. £30-40k p/w.

i mean he looked good but unless I’m mistaken he played only 10 games or something? for us

44 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ach I think these things happen.  Not one to get knickers in twist unless you were there and saw it yourself, you know...

It clicks with guys at all different stages - yes we need to be better at getting the best out of people, we really do - but sometimes someone just turns in to a player nobody saw coming.  Happens a lot.

Maybe we tried him at LB and he was pony!

We let him go cos he wasn't showing enough, rather than sulk, the kid re-evaluated his game and has done really well.  It's a good news story about a Scottish kid with the right attitude for once.  Perhaps just no one did anything wrong here.

If it was a pattern, I'd be worried, but can't think of anyone else we've released who has really haunted us.  A few who played first team like Scott Robinson, yeah, but not as if we've missed millions there, even though he's done well to get back on track.

Tbf I think Doig is vastly over rated just now.

I'm sure I read somewhere he had one of the worst stats in league last season for left backs.

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

i mean he looked good but unless I’m mistaken he played only 10 games or something? for us

12 aye. I really liked him and would take him back in a heartbeat but its these folk who seem to think he's so far out of our league that get me. I don't know what they think he's earning but he's really not on "normal" PL wages. Not even close to an average PL wage.

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Tbf I think Doig is vastly over rated just now.

I'm sure I read somewhere he had one of the worst stats in league last season for left backs.

Same. I can only really compare him to Hickey, and he was just so much better than Doig.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***