Players who have improved this season.

GinRummy

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I don’t think Henderson has improved - he’s just been given a chance now to do what he could have done earlier in the season had he been given a chance then...

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Be interested to hear folks opinions on which players have shown the most improvement this season. 

🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Walker maybe? Half of our regular starters are new signings so not much to say on it really. Henderson maybe but that seems generous and would be mostly based on his Alloa performance. 

Don't think anyone from last season's regressed though tbf, other than Berra's continuing downward spiral and Naismith just ageing. 

Walker can barely get a start in one of our worst teams ever. Got ability but the heart of a mouse. Sums up everything that’s been wrong on the park for us the last few years. 

The only one I would say has improved is Boyce, but mainly because he was only half fit last season. The rest 'meh'.

Lone Striker

Not sure any of them can be described as improved, apart from Wighton (now away)  and perhaps Boyce (who has always looked good anyway).  In Wighton's  case it was probably down to confidence more than anything, maybe because there's no fans to shout abuse at him.    

Didn't Robbie or Levein say that they signed Reilly because they felt they could "develop" him ?   That wasn't  exactly a resounding success.      Is it even possible for defenders like RN or CL to  "develop" a forward ?  

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t think Henderson has improved - he’s just been given a chance now to do what he could have done earlier in the season had he been given a chance then...

Great Post 👍

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Hendo looks more stronger and doesn’t panic when he gets on the ball now he lifts his head and got more time on the ball. I Really hope he makes it. A massive jambo I’m told. We need more Hearts fans in the squad who knows what it means to play for Hearts 

Spot on and you could see he was coming onto a game under Stendel, but I'm of the belief we have youth coming through, that could be very talented. 

Why didn't we use them this season, if Robbie had used them and we had lost then so what, at least he's showing he has the balls to put trust in youth, and i seriously doubt some of them would've done worse.

I want a Hearts team i can connect too, not fecking dad's army. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

What a fiasco the whole Jordan Roberts thing is. Signed and then loaned out. We did the same with Ryan Edwards. Can anyone think of times that's happened at other clubs?

6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Not sure any of them can be described as improved, apart from Wighton (now away)  and perhaps Boyce (who has always looked good anyway).  In Wighton's  case it was probably down to confidence more than anything, maybe because there's no fans to shout abuse at him.    

Didn't Robbie or Levein say that they signed Reilly because they felt they could "develop" him ?   That wasn't  exactly a resounding success.      Is it even possible for defenders like RN or CL to  "develop" a forward ?  

Some teams have striker coaches. We have two defensive ex players in charge. Maybe another influence would help. 

2 hours ago, Candy said:

Players seem to get worse when they join us, even those that start of looking good soon regress.

All down to the coaching or lack of

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

What a fiasco the whole Jordan Roberts thing is. Signed and then loaned out. We did the same with Ryan Edwards. Can anyone think of times that's happened at other clubs?

Ollie Lee also.

Jordan had shown nothing

Edwards when given the chance gave us energy in midfield, which we had been sadly lacking

Ollie, IMO, has been one of our more effective players when he has been in the team and it is no coincidence that our best form in recent seasons was the start of the season he played in Levein’s team and the start of this season.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Ollie Lee also.

Jordan had shown nothing

Edwards when given the chance gave us energy in midfield, which we had been sadly lacking

Ollie, IMO, has been one of our more effective players when he has been in the team and it is no coincidence that our best form in recent seasons was the start of the season he played in Levein’s team and the start of this season.

Just look at the goals video that was put up yesterday, I didn't realise at the time how often Lee was involved in our goals from the start of the season.

Olly Lee, another player who somehow achieves legend status with some of our support despite doing next to heehaw for us when he was here.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 hours ago, Mirror said:

Just look at the goals video that was put up yesterday, I didn't realise at the time how often Lee was involved in our goals from the start of the season.

2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Olly Lee, another player who somehow achieves legend status with some of our support despite doing next to heehaw for us when he was here.

Just about sums up JKB :lol:

It was no coincidence (IMO) that we struggled for goals after Ollie left as Mirror points out. As for Awbdy Oot, there's clearly no one at home never mind oot

19 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

It was no coincidence (IMO) that we struggled for goals after Ollie left as Mirror points out. As for Awbdy Oot, there's clearly no one at home never mind oot

Football fan's forum has posters with a difference of opinion, who'd have thought it eh?

Not sure having either opinion deserves personal abuse but if that's what floats your boat you go for it Tiddler.

20 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I don’t think any player has improved. Walker has got lazier, if that’s possible. 

I just don't see this.  It seems to be a lazy opinion of him.  

50 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The problem with fans, of most clubs probably, is that they decide what they want in a position and then ignore if a player is doing well if it doesn’t suit that. Lee was never going to be a fast player beating people for fun which is what people wanted to see. So they ignored the positives he did bring in terms of passing and assists. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

We have had 2 decent spurts of form in 3 years where we have played decent football - one common factor was Olly Lee in the team.

12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We have had 2 decent spurts of form in 3 years where we have played decent football - one common factor was Olly Lee in the team.

The only one?

Not a single player has improved under Neilson and his coaching team and that is one very good reason why he should be shown the door. Only measuring his performance on achieving promotion is a major mistake that is clearly about to happen. We will never learn it seems under the current senior executive management group. I will be happy to have my words rammed down my throat if I am proved to be wrong in due course. I just hope the executive team do similarly if I am proven to be right. I don’t hold out much hope of them doing so mind you. Not their style!

Edited by JamboBoy

19 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did I say that?

But name the others? 

Em naw, I'll take your word for it seeing as you seem to have researched it.

4 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Craig Gordon is better than I remember him first time around. 

That is down to years of experience gained and in no way down to Neilson and his entourage. That would be a ridiculous conclusion to draw. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Football fan's forum has posters with a difference of opinion, who'd have thought it eh?

Not sure having either opinion deserves personal abuse but if that's what floats your boat you go for it Tiddler.

Apologies Awbdy, I usually refrain from that kind of stuff but I couldn't resist given your user name. Your reply was way more considered than my unwisecrack 🤘

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

The problem with fans, of most clubs probably, is that they decide what they want in a position and then ignore if a player is doing well if it doesn’t suit that. Lee was never going to be a fast player beating people for fun which is what people wanted to see. So they ignored the positives he did bring in terms of passing and assists. 

100%

1 hour ago, JamboBoy said:

That is down to years of experience gained and in no way down to Neilson and his entourage. That would be a ridiculous conclusion to draw. 

Definitely no credit to anyone other than himself. 

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I agree but the whole team has been too slow as a group for ages. Lee got dug out because he was among the slowest and was blamed for slowing down attacks. Alloa game aside, we still take ages to attack and can’t effectively counter attack and Lee is long gone.  

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree but the whole team has been too slow as a group for ages. Lee got dug out because he was among the slowest and was blamed for slowing down attacks. Alloa game aside, we still take ages to attack and can’t effectively counter attack and Lee is long gone.  

I always go the feeling he had come to terms with being slow and had started to work out that the ball can always move faster than a player. Nothing as painful as watching a slow player who still thinks they can outrun people. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Team was much improved up until January. 2 bad results in that time. 

Dunfermline, 15 minutes of the 2nd half killed it and the cup at Alloa. 

Whether it was a hangover from the cup final or complacency things weren't quite the same, 2 15 minute patches were enough to destroy Arbroath and Ayr. 

From that point whatever the reason bar a couple of weeks they have gone rapidly backwards. 

Motivation is still the biggest problem for me. As has been shown  whenever pressure has been on results have bounced back. 

They really need to be honest when July comes round, whether Neilson is bad or not, he hasn't been helped very much by his players, not in 21

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I always go the feeling he had come to terms with being slow and had started to work out that the ball can always move faster than a player. Nothing as painful as watching a slow player who still thinks they can outrun people. 

You’re probably right. I thought we’d improve in midfield after he left. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Bazzas right boot

Can't really tell as we are in a lower division. 

Not many young players have been good enough to break through, and the one that has Irving hasn't really kicked on and he seems to be leaving us. 

Older players don't really have a large scope to improve, and being in the lower division you can't compare like for like too much. 

The team is promoted, that's about all I take from the season. 

Pasquale for King

Wighton is the only one. 
As for Halkett being ok in a 3 against pt bottom of the league Alloa big deal he’s been poor defensively since he signed, squad player at best next year. 

ScottieMac17

Gordon, Halckett, Kingsley, Haring (when hes played), Walker (off the bench), Boyce, Ginnelly (struggled to get a game down south and looked great when he wasn't made of chocolate), Henderson. You could argue that Logan has improved since he couldn't get his game at Aberdeen and looks very good for us.

People only saying the likes of Halkett and Walker because they set the bar so low last season.

All look improved when you play at home against the team that's bottom of the league, and they are having a bad day. 

Hard to say if anyone has improved when playing in the lower leagues, the benchmark is much lower.

colinmaroon
On 12/04/2021 at 19:03, GinRummy said:

I hope Henderson makes it. Maybe just played out of position and needs a run in the side in his proper role. 

Agreed!  He was pretty hopeless up until the Alloa game and even at the start.  He's obviously been impressing in training else he wouldn't be near the team based on prior performance. 

Again, another player who has been played out of position a la McEneff.

It's VERY early days and against such low level opposition but the player he reminded me of was a young Michael Owen.

Owen would have struggled in this Hearts team as a kid.  Owen benefitted with players about him who could pass the flippin' ball, particularly forwards and, it's no coincidence that Haring is playing where he should be and another runner from midfield created gaps in the defence. 

Edited by colinmaroon

On 12/04/2021 at 18:40, GinRummy said:

Be interested to hear folks opinions on which players have shown the most improvement this season. 

Nobody. A fair few gone backwards though.