4% pay rise offered to NHS Scotland

ri Alban

Nicola Sturgeon offers the hard working NHS Scotland staff a 4% pay rise for their tremendous efforts during the pandemic. Plus they've had £500 bonus each. 

What did Boris Johnson offer the hard working NHS England workers again. Thats right 1 fecking %.

:rofl:GIRUY 

Nicola wins again! 

Tick Tock!!! 

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Findlay

• Jambo-Jimbo

• manaliveits105

• gjcc

While this is yet another SNP political stunt trying to get one up on Westminster, the questions have to be asked such as where is the money being taken from?

As this money isn't being handed down from Westminster they must be taking it away from somewhere else in the Scottish budget.

Is it fair to focus on just the NHS at the lower pay grades while ignoring other front line workers such as Teachers, Carers, etc?

John Findlay

Well if you didnt know already. Scotrail conductors are striking on Sundays starting this Sunday coming and all Sundays in April.

Scotrail goes back into government hands next year.

35 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Never been comfortable with the NHS being used as a political football. However, it’s election time do these things always happen around this time.  Particularly, considering what went on the last 12 months. 

Yes. Agenda for Change talks typically happen feb/march.

ScotGov had intended to delay the talks until the summer, when it would be known what the UK government was doing, and awarded 1% in the mean time (3 weeks ago). Unions said it wasn’t good enough so ScotGov agreed to bring the negotiations forward (2 weeks ago). 

manaliveits105

Mike you wont get a straight answer from me Russell didnt answer the question on radio this morning - wheres the money coming from 

Other keyworkers not happy and representatives of poorer families claiming at least at the moment nhs staff have jobs 

you can never keep everyone happy especially when playing politics with peoples lives - Nicoliar will no doubt be filmed tending to the sick in a hospital .

All the NHS should be paid well but not rushed in as a political stunt.

been here before
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Though not sure why doctors who are at front line are exempt. Is it just because they earn more than average bod or do we not value their skills in the same way as nurses? 

Drs negotiate their own pay deals etc.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Well if you didnt know already. Scotrail conductors are striking on Sundays starting this Sunday coming and all Sundays in April.

Scotrail goes back into government hands next year.

No one is using trains just now, doubt many will even notice.

John Findlay
23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No one is using trains just now, doubt many will even notice.

Numbers are slowly increasing but are roughly 80% down on normal

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s not a 4% pay rise for all NHS, lots of folk in NHS won’t get it for example doctors. 

It depends on what band you are on etc. Also will actually be about 5% for lowest earners. 

Though not sure why doctors who are at front line are exempt. Is it just because they earn more than average bod or do we not value their skills in the same way as nurses? 

Never been comfortable with the NHS being used as a political football. However, it’s election time do these things always happen around this time.  Particularly, considering what went on the last 12 months. 

That said I’m sure it will be very welcomed by those who receive it. Whilst probably having the desired effect by those awarding it. So does appear a win win for many. 

I have to agree with this. It just feels a bit crass. On topic, I also would love to know where that money's coming from. Hopefully not from the budget set aside for local authorities. 

That £500 payment for all nhs staff is a bit of a joke. Snp chucking money about like confetti when the country is going to be struggling. Must be an election coming up. Maybe they could start chucking the money at the failed education system they are trying to keep quiet or any of the other failures they’ve governed. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Scotland does have the highest drug related deaths in Europe, wonder how this will be addressed in their manifesto 

John Findlay
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Are they striking because of the decision to nationalise John? Sorry, not up to speed with this.

No. They are striking because the train drivers got something they didnt. There are three unions in the railway for staff, ASLEF( mainly train drivers), RMT( mainly guards, train dispatchers, Ticket examiners, gateline staff), and TSSA(mainly booking office and admin staff), before christmas, RMT(Scotrail), balloted all its members on strike action due to what the drivers got. This returned a vote for no strike action. RMT got the hump over this so just decided to ballot guards as in all honesty it was the guards who were doing the most moaning. They got a vote from the guards to strike.

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

No ones said its bad thing🤷🏻‍♂️

Not directly but that's very much the slant that's being pushed above

Haters gotta Hate.

I respect people's right to their opinion but the whining about "but but but....it's not me....what about others......where's the money coming from...." is pathetic. There is no magic wand. Nobody can solve everything. Everyone can do better. Wee Nic has chosen to make a decision that best reflects the values of the people of this country. Of course the money has got to come from somewhere else. It is a case of who is the most deserving cause.

But here is the reality check. When faced with the same choices, The Bullingdon Boys think it is acceptable to offer the same people 1%. These are the values of Johnson and his cohort, Baroness Davidson and DRoss. The complaining, whining etc is simply bolstering their position. Because then, now and always.....The Bullingdon Boys are what you will get in the failed Disunited Queendom.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/24/no-lie-off-limits-for-boris-johnson

A political party who try to buy votes by giving a decent payrise to the hardest working? Sign me up.

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A political party who try to buy votes by giving a decent payrise to the hardest working? Sign me up.

Hardest working ? Nothing like a made up generalisation. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Hardest working ? Nothing like a made up generalisation. 

For what they get paid? Absolutely.

1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Scotland does have the highest drug related deaths in Europe, wonder how this will be addressed in their manifesto 

Drug policy is controlled by westminster.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

For what they get paid? Absolutely.

The question is do you think a not so subtle political bribe on the verge of the election is going to fool anybody?

Perhaps they would be better spending the money on care homes and their staff where their policies sent infected people back into to wipe out the residents?

Unknown user
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Don’t think it is at all. People questioning funding and political motivation isn’t close to saying its bad to give nurses a pay rise. 

We'll need to agree to disagree, it's exactly close to saying it's bad to give them a payrise.

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Don’t think it is at all. People questioning funding and political motivation isn’t close to saying its bad to give nurses a pay rise. 

You can bet your last penny that the same people would be slaughtering the SNP if they had decided on no pay rise though

7 minutes ago, mutley said:

You can bet your last penny that the same people would be slaughtering the SNP if they had decided on no pay rise though

:spoton:

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The question is do you think a not so subtle political bribe on the verge of the election is going to fool anybody?

Perhaps they would be better spending the money on care homes and their staff where their policies sent infected people back into to wipe out the residents?

I dont actually think they need to fool anyone. I think even without this pay rise they will still stroll the election.

And they have given those care home staff £500 each. They can't impact on their wages as they are mostly ran by private companies.

This is how democracy works.

You make people's lives better, so they vote for you.

You are seen to be supporting key workers which is a popular move with the wider public, so they vote for you.

"Buying votes" is the entire reason why the system exists.

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder how all other workers in the public sector will view this and more importantly their Union leaders?  Westminster allocates Holyrood a lump sum fat the NHS up here. Holyrood decides how and where to allocate this money. One thing you can be assured is that Westminster will not be increasing the allocation by 4% to cover her largesse so what will be cut back or have budgets reduced to cover this bribe? Robing Peter to pay Paul?  As with all the political grandstanding statements the devil will be in the detail and I suspect there will be little or no detail prior to the elections in May. 

manaliveits105

Now that she has got kids who were 15  before we were all locked down able to vote if they will be 16 by May she should give them all £2000 each to enjoy themselves when we open up - not sure why we just didnt go to votes for 14 and over 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Who were you referring to when you said they? 

Hospitals are made up if a lot more people than Drs and Nurses.

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nicola Sturgeon offers the hard working NHS Scotland staff a 4% pay rise for their tremendous efforts during the pandemic. Plus they've had £500 bonus each. 

It was done pro-rata based upon the number of hours each person worked, full time workers got the £500 then the amount decreased in accordance to your contracted hours.

4% pay rise is most welcome.

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Not directly but that's very much the slant that's being pushed above

By being concerned that there might be a shortfall in funding elsewhere? Aye, ok. I've no issues with giving NHS workers a 4% pay rise at all. The 1% increase proposed by the crooks in the Tory party is an insult. But most adults are able to keep more than one thought in their head at one time.

"That's good they're getting a fair pay rise, but I hope it doesn't mean a cut to other services that we rely on every day."

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Drug policy is controlled by westminster.

Naw it isnae, Sturgeon appointed a new minister for it's drugs policy in January with some additional funding 

34 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Naw it isnae, Sturgeon appointed a new minister for it's drugs policy in January with some additional funding 

Who must work within the scope of the UK’s Misuse of Drugs Act/the UK drug policy. 

28 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Who must work within the scope of the UK’s Misuse of Drugs Act/the UK drug policy. 

Years ago I was involved with work to improve life for drug users. In Scotland. Working with public health and local government. We thought we were helping a bit, saving lives. 

Was that all wrong? What we should have done is write letters to the UK Government. 

Nucky Thompson

The Barnett formula is giving Scotland £3k per person more to spend than England.

Sturgeon using the extra money from Westminster to buy votes.

Other services are going to suffer as a result.

Get the Sheriffhall roundabout sorted as they already have the money for that.

And the main A1 from Edinburgh to the English border is single carriageway in certain places. It's 2021 FFS

How anyone from the east of Scotland can vote for those charlatans is beyond me

John Findlay

27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The Barnett formula is giving Scotland £3k per person more to spend than England.

And the main A1 from Edinburgh to the English border is single carriageway in certain places. It's 2021 FFS

Why weren't they build properly in the first place? Why wasnt the A1 dual carriageway to begin with for example? Labour and Tories falling down on the job.

doctor jambo
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

That £500 payment for all nhs staff is a bit of a joke. Snp chucking money about like confetti when the country is going to be struggling. Must be an election coming up. Maybe they could start chucking the money at the failed education system they are trying to keep quiet or any of the other failures they’ve governed. 

I turned it down .

Reason being I have to earn £1000 for scotgov to have the £500 from tax and NI,

then they give me the £500, then take £250 off that in tax and NI.

So I pay £1000 to get back £250.

Nah, give it to someone who will get £500.

Remember the gov does not have any money, just cash they take off us .

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Even if the A1 was dual all the way to the English border, it is largely 2 carraigeways from Berwick to Morpeth which is longer than the stretch from Edinburgh to Berwick - which in turn is 80% dual!!!! You really think making THEIR part of the A1 dual is a priority for Westminster?

I'm not saying they are good - or even adequate, but people vote for them because they reflect the values held here more than any other party. 1% - I rest my case. A vote for any other party is a vote of support for The Bullingdon Boys and their tribute acts.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

Even if the A1 was dual all the way to the English border, it is largely 2 carraigeways from Berwick to Morpeth which is longer than the stretch from Edinburgh to Berwick - which in turn is 80% dual!!!! You really think making THEIR part of the A1 dual is a priority for Westminster?

Boris Johnson pledges dualling of the A1 all the way to Scotland under 'New Deal' plans for UK | Northumberland Gazette

The plans have already been passed for dual carriageway all the way from Morpeth up to Ellingham

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Hospitals are made up if a lot more people than Drs and Nurses.

So is the NHS but most of them don't see to qualify for this act of "generosity". 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, been here before said:

Drs negotiate their own pay deals etc.

Yip, they were awarded a 2.8% pay rise in July last year covering 2020/21, the Scottish Government also approved the same 2.8% pay rise for doctors in Scotland.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/news/2020/07/ddrb-pay-awards-2020-21

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5835640/nhs-scotland-doctor-pay-rise/

So Doctors have already had a wage increase for this financial year.

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Sorry, giving nurses a payrise is bad why, exactly?

Cos SNP bad of course. Pathetic doesn't really cover it when trying to explain the mindset of a unionist. 

manaliveits105
9 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nicoliar will no doubt be filmed tending to the sick in a hospital

Aw she only made it to the ERI car park for her tv interview - hopefully they didn’t let her in 

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It was done pro-rata based upon the number of hours each person worked, full time workers got the £500 then the amount decreased in accordance to your contracted hours.

4% pay rise is most welcome.

It is. Tho it's funny how it's OK for Boris to bribe the North of England with 'get brexit done' but Nicola is a chancer with an even better bribe.