Buying from the EU on Amazon

Tazio

Looking for a specific jacket and it’s sold out everywhere in the uk but I can get it from Germany on Amazon. Am I correct that as it’s Amazon the VAT will be paid when I buy and as it’s under £135 I won’t be charged duty? I’ve googled it but it seems a minefield. 

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Looking for a specific jacket and it’s sold out everywhere in the uk but I can get it from Germany on Amazon. Am I correct that as it’s Amazon the VAT will be paid when I buy and as it’s under £135 I won’t be charged duty? I’ve googled it but it seems a minefield. 

Looks like that should be the case https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I've just ordered a watch strap from Serbia after waiting on things calming down from Brexit. I'm still anticipating a shit show on it's arrival.

1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

Looks like that should be the case https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I've just ordered a watch strap from Serbia after waiting on things calming down from Brexit. I'm still anticipating a shit show on it's arrival.

I’ll probably go for it then. It’s a decent price and the jacket is annoyingly difficult to get in the UK. Even the makers website doesn’t have them in stock in the good colour. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

No - you should not assume EU traders are registered for VAT. Plenty of buyers are getting crucified not just for VAT charges but also the additional handling costs. 

Ebay traders in EU are having to make it clear whether they're VAT registered because of the fall off in UK buyers due to the adverse  publicity in the new year. 

48 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

No - you should not assume EU traders are registered for VAT. Plenty of buyers are getting crucified not just for VAT charges but also the additional handling costs. 

Ebay traders in EU are having to make it clear whether they're VAT registered because of the fall off in UK buyers due to the adverse  publicity in the new year. 

But I’m not buying off eBay. I’ve researched it a bit more and Amazon apply the VAT on the purchase price. 

crunchy frog

Sllightly off topic but I notice a lot of EU sellers on Discogs are refusing to sell to UK. 

I bought something off ebay from Canada over a month ago, it never arrived so I opened a dispute. The seller says he sent three big packages to UK and none of them arrived so is also considering excluding UK buyers. 

Britain will be the next Italy, nobody wants to sell to Italians cos of their dodgy postal service.

Folk have been buying beer from the EU for their draft machines with no issues and popular just now is buying the actual machines from Amazon France, again with no issues.

5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I've bought something for £70 from Amazon Germany and had no issues.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. 

12 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Serbia isn't in the EU.

I know. That doesn't mean that customs on our side wasn't a mess for upcoming from everywhere for a while. It probably still is. 

Edited by IronJambo
Sent post before it was finished

Jacket arrived today, no customs or VAT issues whatsoever and didn’t have any issues with slow delivery despite there being a Brexit issue flagged up on the UPS tracking details that delayed by about 2 hours somewhere in Germany. 

Jamstomorrow

Since Brexit and the subsequent shenanigans by the French over our fish and shellfish, I have stopped buying the French wines, the French cheeses and the French letters!     😉

I'm assuming the VAT thing only applies to items purchased from Amazon and not the Amazon Marketplace? I'm sure the missus found out one of her regular purchases from Germany will no longer send it. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I'm assuming the VAT thing only applies to items purchased from Amazon and not the Amazon Marketplace? I'm sure the missus found out one of her regular purchases from Germany will no longer send it. 

I think it’s just Amazon. The receipt with the item was for the pre VAT price with tax as £0. 

I sell on Amazon and I have bought stock from the Netherlands to sell on the UK market. All that happened was the shipment took an extra couple of weeks to get to my business address. I later received a C79 VAT certificate from HMRC with my vat registration number on it with the 20% VAT paid.