Edinburgh city wide parking - phase 2

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Last frid I was heading west and coming from Musselburgh. 
Just as I went to head onto the bypass I noticed it was tailed back to nearly the services at Musselburgh so I just kept going round the roundabout and headed home as trip wasn’t important 

Its only going to get worse  

Heading West was tailed back to the A1 again on Monday afternoon.

I ended up doing a detour through Dalkeith and joining the bypass at Gilmerton 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Ribble

• The Frenchman Returns

• The Real Maroonblood

milky_26
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, a never ending review :biggrin2:

It's only taking place because of behind closed doors deals between SNP ministers and the Greens at the budget.

Edinburgh getting shafted again

they claim there has been a number of objections, no doubt from green msps

been here before
51 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Noticed one of those ridiculous palletlike planters had appeared on Broomhall Drive. Will take a snap when I go to vote on Friday.

Be better doing it on Thursday when the rest of us will also be voting.

The Frenchman Returns
22 minutes ago, been here before said:

Be better doing it on Thursday when the rest of us will also be voting.

A point very well made

:banghead2:

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Also that car park, the Sheriffhall roundabout is back to it's worst now restrictions are lifted

The SNP shelved the plans for the flyover to keep the Greens happy, because sitting idling in a huge line of traffic for 30 minutes is good for the environment :vrface:

I hadn't realised these shit for brains had done that. Effing clowns. 

Governor Tarkin
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Heading West was tailed back to the A1 again on Monday afternoon.

I ended up doing a detour through Dalkeith and joining the bypass at Gilmerton 

And Sunday mid morning. 

I nipped out to Wallyford for a couple of last minute Sunday barbie kegs for the PD. Took an age to get home.

Edited by Governor Tarkin
tian447

The bypass needs a bypass.  It's absolutely chronic, and the most hated part of any journey that involves going on it.  

The flyover at Sheriffhall would only be a sticking plaster, the whole thing needs nuked and started again.  3 lanes, minimum.

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, tian447 said:

The bypass needs a bypass.  It's absolutely chronic, and the most hated part of any journey that involves going on it.  

The flyover at Sheriffhall would only be a sticking plaster, the whole thing needs nuked and started again.  3 lanes, minimum.

3 lanes from Glasgow all the way down to Carlisle.

The A1 is not even dual carriageway all the way to Berwick. 

Edinburgh and the Lothians are an afterthought to the SG 

I agree about the flyover, the congestion would only move along to the A1 junction

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

3 lanes from Glasgow all the way down to Carlisle.

The A1 is not even dual carriageway all the way to Berwick. 

Edinburgh and the Lothians are an afterthought to the SG 

I agree about the flyover, the congestion would only move along to the A1 junction

Shameful.

The Frenchman Returns

Noticed tonight that we have now invested in lovely green Welcome to Corstorphine Space for People signs. Saw one on the corner of Station Rd / St John’s Rd.

Fixed to a lamppost, thought it was an election sign. 

pablo
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

I guess the thing about the bypass was that when it was built, it was for bypassing the city. Now it's a road for getting to retail parks and expanding housing, as well as bypassing the city!

Feck knows what the answer is tbh

The Maroon Pound
8 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

WTAF?

image.png.d818e0b7bec4baa33c049d9e31b8e110.png

image.png.8415c5f8132e70e6a27e40c2925e96ea.png

Are they on drugs? Whoever designs the road layout and whoever signs these plans off really need to be tested 

been here before
16 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

WTAF?

Thats is brilliant in its insanity.

How many people does that pass through without someone going 'hold on a wee minute, Ive been looking at this....'

Surely even the boy finally painting that on the road must have thought 'Im going to need to check this'

:rofl:

Furious Styles

Well that’s a fatality waiting to happen. **** walking on that. 

Nucky Thompson

I'm seriously thinking of moving out of Edinburgh.

Fecking lunatics running the City

jonesy
56 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Are they on drugs? Whoever designs the road layout and whoever signs these plans off really need to be tested 

I think they know exactly what they're doing. They're pushing it as far as they can to see what they can get away with. And it's working. 

Weird little people determined to force a lifestyle on people that they neither want nor need.

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

WTAF?

:berra:

Madness

Ribble
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Same here, flat up for sale and getting away from this madness

The Maroon Pound
Posted (edited)

This is what our council tax is being used for, painting white person's on the road along with thousands of plastic bollards obstructing everybody and everything going about their daily business 

It's not just Edinburgh though it's every other city in the UK all in the name of Covid anti social distancing procedures 

Edited by The Maroon Pound
Fishnchips
16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

WTAF?

I drove past this earlier today.

In the first photo they’ve now put down red and white plastic barriers on the white line to the right of the dead body. This means that instead of walking on the pavement and having some protection from the railings you can now walk on the road beside barriers which offer less protection.

Unsurprisingly this has resulted in the approaches to the roundabout being reduced to single lanes in line with the council’s anti-motorist strategy.

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

This is what our council tax is being used for, painting white person's on the road along with thousands of plastic bollards obstructing everybody and everything going about their daily business 

It's not just Edinburgh though it's every other city in the UK all in the name of Covid anti social distancing procedures 

Actually I think the money they're wasting is from Westminster as extra funds due to CoVid. 

Lemongrab
27 minutes ago, Fishnchips said:

I drove past this earlier today.

In the first photo they’ve now put down red and white plastic barriers on the white line to the right of the dead body. This means that instead of walking on the pavement and having some protection from the railings you can now walk on the road beside barriers which offer less protection.

Unsurprisingly this has resulted in the approaches to the roundabout being reduced to single lanes in line with the council’s anti-motorist strategy.

Looking at the markings over by the roundabout, it looks like they've cut the actual roundabout to a single lane.  

Fishnchips
10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Looking at the markings over by the roundabout, it looks like they've cut the actual roundabout to a single lane.  

They have, though just like the one at the bottom of Orchard Brae some folk will probably continue to drive around it as they did before. 

The Maroon Pound
31 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Actually I think the money they're wasting is from Westminster as extra funds due to CoVid. 

I think you're right that Doris is paying for it 

Harry Potter
On 04/05/2021 at 18:21, Seymour M Hersh said:

I hadn't realised these shit for brains had done that. Effing clowns. 

Driving back from my holiday in Whitby 200 miles, 4 hours of no traffic, even Newcastle was a breeze past, get to Edinburgh, sherriffhall, big tailback , nightmare of a roundabout.

Stuart Lyon

Just back from Glasgow and took the Dreghorn exit from the bypass. Through Oxgangs and Greenbank Crescent to go to Hermitage Drive. Get to the lights at the Comiston Rd junction to be faced with a  "local access only"sign in Hermitage Drive which was previously accessible to all very recently. I then had to navigate the myriad of ridiculous and confusing road layout changes to get to Midmar Avenue! It would be interesting to hear from the locals what they think of all this nonsense! The CeC are a bunch pop charlatans using Covid powers to advance their anti-vehicle policy!

The Frenchman Returns

Results from the Get Edinburgh Moving - Traffic survey results, have been posted through doors in Corstorphine / Gyle / East Craigs this morning.

This is a NON Council survey and makes very interesting reading. 1,621 households participated, over a third of us who got the survey completed it, the Council survey only had 768 individual responses (not households)

I can't scan right now but here are some snippets off twitter.

davemclaren
On 03/05/2021 at 14:42, Des Lynam said:

You want to see what they’ve done at Braid Avenue and the surrounding streets. I have yet to meet anyone who isn’t a total idiot that works for the council. 

Got caught in that a week ago. Thought I would never get out. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Results from the Get Edinburgh Moving - Traffic survey results, have been posted through doors in Corstorphine / Gyle / East Craigs this morning.

This is a NON Council survey and makes very interesting reading. 1,621 households participated, over a third of us who got the survey completed it, the Council survey only had 768 individual responses (not households)

I can't scan right now but here are some snippets off twitter.

McInnes will read that as a mandate to do exactly as she wants and will bash on with her nonsense.  I notice there is now 3 chicanes on Craigs Rd. Just the start I suspect. 

The Frenchman Returns
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

McInnes will read that as a mandate to do exactly as she wants and will bash on with her nonsense.  I notice there is now 3 chicanes on Craigs Rd. Just the start I suspect. 

Not just chicanes, also double yellows, so hard lines if you have a visitor wanting to park nearby. Mrs F said something about bike lanes too but I wasn't paying attention.

jonesy
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Got caught in that a week ago. Thought I would never get out. 

Got stuck in there again this morning, thinking I'd cracked it only to end up on the helter-skelter. Tempted to go back under cover of darkness and just chuck all the signs in the boot of my (estate) car. 

There is no other explanation than it is designed to frustrate motorists and create longer driving times by funnelling everyone who wishes to turn right to the lights at the bottom of Comiston.

For balance, I also cycle around that area with my two sons, so I'm not exactly anti-bike. I am, however, pro-common sense. 

(Special mention to the jogger who ran out in front of me in one of those streets. Might find getting fit a bit harder from his hospital bed if he's not careful).

jonesy
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Not just chicanes, also double yellows, so hard lines if you have a visitor wanting to park nearby. Mrs F said something about bike lanes too but I wasn't paying attention.

I think there's an online form where you can report on visitors who haven't cycled or taken the bus to your house.

Not a new phenomenon, this, however. When I was learning to drive in 1999/2000, my instructor told me he had paid a visit to the foreman's cabin when they were putting speed-reduction measures on Craigs Road as he knew one of the guys. The map they had was upside down, so the overlaid map of the chicane things was completely wrong.

frankblack

Drumbrae Road North at rush hour is tailed back over the hill because the traffic is locked into one lane wanting to get onto Queensferry Road, exiting the city.  Meanwhile you can see that the other lane is empty at the top but can't get there.

Not a cyclist in sight, and even if there was before they can easily pass stationary cars so WTF is this for?

Wait until the offices start bringing their staff back in circa July/August and the city is going to grind to a halt.

Seymour M Hersh

Somebody told me the other week that those black and white bollards and the rubber base they sit in were £200.00 a pop. Don't know if that's accurate but if some sleuth on here can find out that would be good. Another friend said the whole thing (cycle lanes, spaces for people etc) was costing £5million again can anyone confirm this?

milky_26
7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Somebody told me the other week that those black and white bollards and the rubber base they sit in were £200.00 a pop. Don't know if that's accurate but if some sleuth on here can find out that would be good. Another friend said the whole thing (cycle lanes, spaces for people etc) was costing £5million again can anyone confirm this?

i would say £200 would be an underestimate as you will need to include the installation costs etc. Also 20 years ago during work experience while at school a friend was with east lothian council and he was told that to paint stop/give way (i cant remember which one) on the road was a few hundred pounds, thus i would expect things to be even more expensive

been here before
14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just do an FOI from the council.

The Frenchman Returns
54 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The company I buy stuff like this from (not for the Council) sell them. Can't see the exact same but they are around £200 including VAT, here's an example and you may need a base and fixing. Someone is making serious money from the pandemic.

https://uk.glasdon.com/road-safety/plastic-traffic-bollards/mini-ensign-tm-bollard

Jeffros Furios

The residents on Oxgangs Road are paying no attention to the cycling lane and parking outside thier homes.

Good on them but  Edinburgh Cycling Fud and his like will throw a hissy fit .

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I see in Lanark Road the speed camera has been covered up.

Is that in case the cyclists break the speed limit?

That road had to be closed recently due to a fire at the nursery.

Just enough room for the emergency services

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The residents on Oxgangs Road are paying no attention to the cycling lane and parking outside thier homes.

Good on them but  Edinburgh Cycling Fud and his like will throw a hissy fit .

Think they messed with the wrong people. Don't think Oxgangs residents are known for taking any snash from jobworths

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I see in Lanark Road the speed camera has been covered up.

Is that in case the cyclists break the speed limit?

I went down there yesterday and read that they had reduced the limit to 30 but I didn't see any signs to that effect

Edited by Maroon Sailor
On 05/05/2021 at 19:59, Nucky Thompson said:

The creep that’s the council leader has tried to pin the blame for vandalism on a cycle path on opponents of spaces for people.

The Frenchman Returns

Meadow Place Road reduced to 20mph and speed camera covered up too.

Also digging up St John’s Road, again, temporary lights, by where the Dorlin was

The Frenchman Returns
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The creep that’s the council leader has tried to pin the blame for vandalism on a cycle path on opponents of spaces for people.

Mrs F said pins/nails had been left on cycle way on Queensferry Road. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That road had to be closed recently due to a fire at the nursery.

Just enough room for the emergency services

I was up there when the incident was in full swing. There was no issue at all with the emergency services, and there was a good amount of them. Plenty of room on both sides and even down the road opposite the golf club for one if their pumps and there was no issues with what traffic there was.

Then the polis closed the whole road off.

The Places for People roll out is by and large atrocious but to suggest there was "just enough room for the emergency services" is wrong.

Edited by been here before
Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

I was up there when the incident was in full swing. There was no issue at all with the emergency services. Plenty of room in both sides and even down the road opposite the golf club for one if their pumps and there was no issues with what traffic there was.

Then the polis closed the whole road off.

The Places for People roll out is by and large atrocious but to suggest there was "just enough room for the emergency services" is wrong.

I didn't suggest that - I got told that.

I noticed the 44 was diverted down Wester Hailes Road so obviously couldn't get through

Edited by Maroon Sailor
31 minutes ago, weehammy said:

And has rightly been pulled up for it