Jump to content

Edinburgh city wide parking - phase 2


Recommended Posts

Smithee
9 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

A weekend in Amsterdam demonstrated to me that pedestrians are third class citizens behind cars and the dominant bikes!

I lived outside the city but worked in Rembrandtplein for a few years so had to do the daily cycle to and from Centraal as part of my commute.

 

You're right, Amsterdam belongs to the bikes, it's a truly great experience one you get used to dealing with it. I used to absolutely love smoking a joint on my bike through the red light on the way home!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Maroon Sailor

    57

  • Ribble

    17

  • The Real Maroonblood

    15

  • 3fingersreid

    14

On 08/04/2021 at 08:36, 3fingersreid said:

Was the accident on Corstorphine High street in anyway connected to the give way that’s now appeared on the bend just before the Corrie Inn ? 
 

Hopefully no one was injured .

Heard last night that 2 people are getting done for drink driving. She was on his lap doing the steering, he was doing the peddles. She broke several ribs and he tried to do a runner but was caught later 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
35 minutes ago, mutley said:

Heard last night that 2 people are getting done for drink driving. She was on his lap doing the steering, he was doing the peddles. She broke several ribs and he tried to do a runner but was caught later 😂

😂😂😂, I still blame the road lay out 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
45 minutes ago, mutley said:

Heard last night that 2 people are getting done for drink driving. She was on his lap doing the steering, he was doing the peddles. She broke several ribs and he tried to do a runner but was caught later 😂

 

Im going to put my camera on my bike helmet, go out and cycle past it shaking my head.

 

Ill post the video later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
1 hour ago, been here before said:

 

Im going to put my camera on my bike helmet, go out and cycle past it shaking my head.

 

Ill post the video later.

😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, been here before said:

 

Im going to put my camera on my bike helmet, go out and cycle past it shaking my head.

 

Ill post the video later.

Thanks for the warning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Maroon Sailor

Decides not to use the cycle lane

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffros Furios

Edinburgh Cyclist is a poor man's Cycling Mikey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Decides not to use the cycle lane

 

 

 

Its not compulsory to use cycle lanes. Theres a few bits of lanes around the town I dont use as I think theyre poorly designed or unsafe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kawasakijambo

Selfish cyclists, got their own lane, but use the Queens highway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Edinburgh Cyclist is a poor man's Cycling Mikey.

 

I'm surprised Cycling Mikey still has all his teeth. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
35 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Spaces for people?

 

This has appeared at a junction on a main road near Juniper Green PS. There are more across the city.

 

What arsehole is employed at the council and at what cost, to come up with 💩 like this?

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-residents-fume-after-council-20494464.amp

 

Slapping a massive planter out on the road in a T-junction  :vrface: Incredible.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

Slapping a massive planter out on the road in a T-junction  :vrface: Incredible.

 


Walked past it today with the dog and it’s bleeding massive. Takes up half of the road. No signage but they’ve put 4 bollards around it to help folks see it in the dark.

 

EC are trolling surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ribble
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:


Walked past it today with the dog and it’s bleeding massive. Takes up half of the road. No signage but they’ve put 4 bollards around it to help folks see it in the dark.

 

EC are trolling surely?


This is only going to end up with a fatality which will result in either a public enquiry or criminal charges being brought against ECC 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

I'm surprised Cycling Mikey still has all his teeth. 

 

 

 

Who is he ? Some kind of vigilante ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

Who is he ? Some kind of vigilante ?

 

Sort of. He stands at Gandalf Corner in London and leaps out at motorists going the wrong way around a traffic island to avoid queuing.

 

He also shops folk on their mobiles.

 

They all get reported to the Vernon Sollas.

 

Check him out on YouTube. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mars plastic
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

Sort of. He stands at Gandalf Corner in London and leaps out at motorists going the wrong way around a traffic island to avoid queuing.

 

He also shops folk on their mobiles.

 

They all get reported to the Vernon Sollas.

 

Check him out on YouTube. 

Like it and chored. Admittedly, I didn't have the faintest idea who he was before I Googled him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
59 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Like it and chored. Admittedly, I didn't have the faintest idea who he was before I Googled him.

 

The one where he confronts the posh doctors is funny. Talk about entitled. 

 

:lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

Sort of. He stands at Gandalf Corner in London and leaps out at motorists going the wrong way around a traffic island to avoid queuing.

 

He also shops folk on their mobiles.

 

They all get reported to the Vernon Sollas.

 

Check him out on YouTube. 

 

He needs to get a life that twat

 

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

Link to post
Share on other sites
Furious Styles

Surely a camera positioned there to capture all those who break the law would be easier than a South African, who frankly, nobody wants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy Crossan
25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

He needs to get a life that twat

 

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

I've never met a nice South African was good. Can anyone put the video here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2021 at 16:45, Maroon Sailor said:

Bus driver loses his appeal against unfair dismissal after incident with cyclist.

 

Do Lothian buses ever support their drivers ?

 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-bus-driver-sacked-after-leith-walk-collision-with-cyclist-loses-unfair-dismissal-claim-3199484

It reads like management wanted rid of him and this was their opportunity TBH...

13 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Spaces for people?

 

This has appeared at a junction on a main road near Juniper Green PS. There are more across the city.

 

What arsehole is employed at the council and at what cost, to come up with 💩 like this?

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-residents-fume-after-council-20494464.amp

Bizarre - there is a sign for dead end in the background so does this mean you can exit the street but never return?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kennedy Bakircioglu

I like cyclingmikey. He's doing a good job in highlighting that phone use while driving is far too common. The Gandalf corner stuff is slightly different. I sometime do feel a little sympathy for the drivers.

 

Edinburgh Cyclist is completely different - puts himself in dangerous situations to deliberately antagonise motorists. Likes to jump out, appear in their blind spot, speed up if he sees a tight passing spot appearing.

 

I'm for head cameras if they are used to remove motorists' phone use. Similarly, for insurance purposes. I'm not for people creating channels and going out their way to find incidents of poor driving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

I like cyclingmikey. He's doing a good job in highlighting that phone use while driving is far too common. The Gandalf corner stuff is slightly different. I sometime do feel a little sympathy for the drivers.

 

Edinburgh Cyclist is completely different - puts himself in dangerous situations to deliberately antagonise motorists. Likes to jump out, appear in their blind spot, speed up if he sees a tight passing spot appearing.

 

I'm for head cameras if they are used to remove motorists' phone use. Similarly, for insurance purposes. I'm not for people creating channels and going out their way to find incidents of poor driving. 

your last paragraph is spot on for me. it is modern society that people will film things for likes/kudos/massaging their ego etc. When if what he was doing was to just pass the footage to the police to deal with he would be less disliked and actually doing a reasonable service

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Decides not to use the cycle lane

 

 

He's going at some speed - he'd never be able to overtake another cyclist in the cycle lane without hitting the  posts that are installed to cause nasty accidents for careless cyclists - hit one of those with a handlebar and you'd have a busted right hand before you even go erse over tit!. As a cyclist the only thing I can say is that going at that speed he has to cycle defensively and expect drivers to misjudge his speed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

I like cyclingmikey. He's doing a good job in highlighting that phone use while driving is far too common. The Gandalf corner stuff is slightly different. I sometime do feel a little sympathy for the drivers.

 

Edinburgh Cyclist is completely different - puts himself in dangerous situations to deliberately antagonise motorists. Likes to jump out, appear in their blind spot, speed up if he sees a tight passing spot appearing.

 

I'm for head cameras if they are used to remove motorists' phone use. Similarly, for insurance purposes. I'm not for people creating channels and going out their way to find incidents of poor driving. 

I’ve not seen anything for a while but there used to be a cyclist that used a helmet cam in London and then put the videos on YouTube. The twist being that he highlighted bad cyclists which seemed a bit odd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It reads like management wanted rid of him and this was their opportunity TBH...

Bizarre - there is a sign for dead end in the background so does this mean you can exit the street but never return?

 

The dead end is due to the school being at the end of that road but there are two residential side streets before you hit that dead end if that makes sense?. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve not seen anything for a while but there used to be a cyclist that used a helmet cam in London and then put the videos on YouTube. The twist being that he highlighted bad cyclists which seemed a bit odd. 


Dont think it’s odd at all, both sides are equally responsible for the generally poor relationship between cyclists and drivers. Probably easier for good drivers to educate bad and likewise for cyclists. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

He's going at some speed - he'd never be able to overtake another cyclist in the cycle lane without hitting the  posts that are installed to cause nasty accidents for careless cyclists - hit one of those with a handlebar and you'd have a busted right hand before you even go erse over tit!. As a cyclist the only thing I can say is that going at that speed he has to cycle defensively and expect drivers to misjudge his speed...


I also suspect that it won’t just be his bottom half that is all in black just to make himself more difficult to spot just in order to get a few more videos for youtube

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ribble said:


Dont think it’s odd at all, both sides are equally responsible for the generally poor relationship between cyclists and drivers. Probably easier for good drivers to educate bad and likewise for cyclists. 

Maybe unusual would have been a better word than odd. And you are correct that his videos are meant to be educational. One of the biggest problems in areas with a lot of bikes is the differing levels of how people ride. I’ve tried a few of the new cycle lanes and found it quite frustrating that you come across people cycling slowly and the lanes are quite narrow to try and get past people travelling more slowly. But they have just as much right to be there, possibly more. We’ve all been stuck at some point behind a slow driver and know how annoying it can be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Maybe unusual would have been a better word than odd. And you are correct that his videos are meant to be educational. One of the biggest problems in areas with a lot of bikes is the differing levels of how people ride. I’ve tried a few of the new cycle lanes and found it quite frustrating that you come across people cycling slowly and the lanes are quite narrow to try and get past people travelling more slowly. But they have just as much right to be there, possibly more. We’ve all been stuck at some point behind a slow driver and know how annoying it can be. 


I generally avoid designated cycle routes as much as possible due to both other cyclists and the state of the roads. 
 

I both drive and cycle and get way more frustrated by slow drivers than I do cyclists (with the exception of anyone on one of the just eat bikes who are invariably cycling in a line of 3/4 people, none of which have any semblance of road awareness)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

These floating car bays in the middle of the road are dangerous. Get out your car and avoid vehicles then you try and get on the pavement without getting hit by a cyclist 😄 - as what nearly happened to me last night. Only just saw the cyclist at the last minute and he was going at some speed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mars plastic
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

He needs to get a life that twat

 

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

They're a bunch of eegnorant bastads who hate black peepol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I've never met a nice South African was good. Can anyone put the video here?

 

The only Spitting Image video I can find is 30 seconds long but goes a bit distorted 

 

Here's the song anyway

 

 

Forgot they smell like baboons 🤣

 

Edited by Maroon Sailor
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

These floating car bays in the middle of the road are dangerous. Get out your car and avoid vehicles then you try and get on the pavement without getting hit by a cyclist 😄 - as what nearly happened to me last night. Only just saw the cyclist at the last minute and he was going at some speed

I’ve not seen any of these in the flesh on a busy road yet. It sounds like sheer idiocy. And unworkable for anyone with mobility problems that need time to enter/exit a vehicle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

He needs to get a life that twat

 

Sounds like he's a South African - so that's not bloody surprising man

 

There is one particular video where a lorry driver gives him dog's abuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

There is one particular video where a lorry driver gives him dog's abuse.

 

If this is the clip he brings it on himself

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The cycling chap is Dutch not South African . 

 

That explains why he likes to clog up the traffic

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

He's going at some speed - he'd never be able to overtake another cyclist in the cycle lane without hitting the  posts that are installed to cause nasty accidents for careless cyclists - hit one of those with a handlebar and you'd have a busted right hand before you even go erse over tit!. As a cyclist the only thing I can say is that going at that speed he has to cycle defensively and expect drivers to misjudge his speed...

Technically speeding perhaps ? 
Going at that speed if he hits another person it could be a bit more than a bad injury received by one or more involved 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It reads like management wanted rid of him and this was their opportunity TBH...

Bizarre - there is a sign for dead end in the background so does this mean you can exit the street but never return?

 

I wish Lesley Macinnes would exit Edinburgh and never return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Cyclingmikey is not South African, nor Dutch. 

Well on his Twitter he has his location as London/Netherlands and most people seem to think he’s Dutch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also from an interview he did online “Close, but not quite. I've a Zimbabwean accent, but I'm actually Dutch as in the Netherlands.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kennedy Bakircioglu

Ah fair enough. It was interesting seeing just how many would incorrectly label him as South African, with standard anti South African comment to follow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

 

Screenshot_20210503-084437_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e87afd447b0a95d30cacfda43f50a666.jpg

 

The Netherlands and Zimbabwe flags on his Twitter account.

 

Stands to reason - a lot of Dutch people are arrogant and I've never met a nice Zimbabwean 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...