2012 final

jock _turd

Bored with the in fighting on JKB I have just watched the 2012 SCP final again... what a great day! ... Though I will be for ever sorry that we *****'d around for the last 20 mins of that game. We should, quite rightly, have put them to the sword and reemed them red to for ever put them in their place. I know we won the game handsomely but 10 was definitely on that day;

2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Did 5-1 not put them in there place? 

1-5 flattered them in that final. We completely downed  tools in the last 20 mins .

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Why bite?

I’m sorry Geoff, it’s late I need to step back it’s been a bad day. 

52 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

1-5 flattered them in that final. We completely downed  tools in the last 20 mins .

We did. Sergio sent on Beattie and had him playing in midfield! 
Don’t get me wrong, 5-1 was great but I was at the 7-0 game and that was our chance of revenge for us old boys.

Watch the video that was up on here a few months back with the guy chatting to Webster, Elliott, Jamie Mac and Driver as they watched and discussed that final. I really enjoyed it, some of the things Stephen Elliott talked about were proper eye opening (listening to the Hibs players totally ripping each other, and him wynding them up about it). Another nice thing to hear was the players talk about the Lithuanian lads in a positive manner, saying they were really nice guys, etc. 

Sure someone can post a link. 

3 hours ago, jock _turd said:

Bored with the in fighting on JKB I have just watched the 2012 SCP final again... what a great day! ... Though I will be for ever sorry that we *****'d around for the last 20 mins of that game. We should, quite rightly, have put them to the sword and reemed them red to for ever put them in their place. I know we won the game handsomely but 10 was definitely on that day;

Without wishing to be pedantic, I think we downed tools at 4-1, 40 minutes to go.

John Findlay
8 hours ago, karipidis said:

Did 5-1 not put them in there place? 

When you witnessed a certain game on the 1st of January 1973, then the answer is no. I wanted us to win at least 7-1 and that would have meant Hibs would have suffered the largest Scottish cup final defeat in the tournament's history. 

As it is they currently share this, 6-1 with Forfar I believe.

sandylejambo

I was taking a piss ten minutes into the second half, and asked the guy, " why the ****, have I been worried these last few weeks" he said it was the same for him, we high fived at the sinks and went on to have the best few weeks of our lives. Thank you HMFC, love you.

Believe it or not I was speaking to Robbie that day , spoke to him in this cub/pub for a few minutes at a hospital type thing before we headed to the game, I told him I was nervous about the game but he smiled and said “don’t worry you will have a good day today “with a confident wink, 

And I certainly did 👍

8 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Watch the video that was up on here a few months back with the guy chatting to Webster, Elliott, Jamie Mac and Driver as they watched and discussed that final. I really enjoyed it, some of the things Stephen Elliott talked about were proper eye opening (listening to the Hibs players totally ripping each other, and him wynding them up about it). Another nice thing to hear was the players talk about the Lithuanian lads in a positive manner, saying they were really nice guys, etc. 

Sure someone can post a link. 

Here ya go

Class

Why don't we have more of those days? I miss Derby day more than any other day of the year. 

When we win, and, seriously do that mob over, it sets you up for a good week.

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Without wishing to be pedantic, I think we downed tools at 4-1, 40 minutes to go.

This is true. Obviously we were on cloud nine but that 40 minutes is up there with the most boring football I’ve ever witnessed. We get a free kick about the 52 minute mark (actually, may be 62) and you can clearly see Paulo telling Zal to just, “keep the ball.” It’s done now but we can only speculate as to how Jim Jefferies would have approached the final 30-40 minutes, or even Craig Levein, who loved doing the Hibs! 

18 minutes ago, Chong said:

Here ya go

Class

Nice one Chong!!! That will be getting rewatched later today. 

Harry Potter
54 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

I was taking a piss ten minutes into the second half, and asked the guy, " why the ****, have I been worried these last few weeks" he said it was the same for him, we high fived at the sinks and went on to have the best few weeks of our lives. Thank you HMFC, love you.

Was standing next to a guy from linlithgow, 5 superb celebrations later he was my best mate for ever, wonder

how hes doing.

Edited by Harry Potter

Of course it would've been great to stick 7 or 8 past them, but there's something very satisfying about Paulo showing them mercy in a cup final. Imagine being in that situation in the first place. The humiliation was done and dusted and Paulo took the moral high ground. What a classy man he was.

jambo-in-furness
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Of course it would've been great to stick 7 or 8 past them, but there's something very satisfying about Paulo showing them mercy in a cup final. Imagine being in that situation in the first place. The humiliation was done and dusted and Paulo took the moral high ground. What a classy man he was.

I suppose that’s one way to look at it,  another is,  did Paulo not revise on Hearts v Hibs history,  we were screaming out for more goals,  Paulo was instructing “keep the ball”,  poor decision IMO.

The scoreline was just perfect. 

Fitted into the date 19 05 12

5-1 and 1902

Veni Vidi Vici

The 5-1 on your hands

We could have scored more but I'm kinda glad we didn't. A Perfect day.

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, jock _turd said:

I was screaming for 8 when Grainger scored, I think the Hearts supporters like Locke on the bench and Black on the pitch should’ve implored Sergio to go for more goals, all Black had to was give it to Rudi, who was also saying pass it around and keep the ball. 
A tiny gripe on a wonderful day in our history. 

N Lincs Jambo

There were a few around me screaming “we want 7” after Rudi’s 2nd. Love Paolo for that day but if JJ had been in the dugout we would not have dared take the foot off the gas. Remember what he was like when we only scored 4 on New Year’s Day at fester in 1997?

As someone who was at the 0-7 game (albeit back home at Ashley Terrace shortly after the second half began) you could argue that we were lucky to get off with the result we did. Five down at half time with the sixth before the hour mark it could have been a lot worse I guess. Hibs had a very, very good side then (Stanton, Cropley, Blackley, Brownlie, O'rourke, Gordon etc) and I remember friends of the green persuasion telling me later we were lucky it was only seven. Bottom line was that Hibs only got two points for that win and it was quickly forgotten (in fact we scudded them 4-1 the next time we met)

Fast forward to 19/05/12 - did we get two points for a win? No, big Zal, god rest his soul, got to lift a beautiful, shiny trophy, one of the oldest in world football as a reward. Could we have scored more? Maybe, but five was more than enough on the day and made for many 5-1 pictures that still make me laugh.

Heart of Midlothian - winners of the biggest Edinburgh derby in history.

It’s easy to say, but if Suso’s shot goes in for 3-0, do we go on to dish out the ultimate hammering?   Or does 1-5 not actually happen? (Tf it did!)

Teams have a habit of taking the foot off the gas and sitting on what they have.  Them getting back to 2-1 probably woke us up again and made us come out on the front foot.  

3-0 maybe makes us sit deeper and contain.

Who knows? 5-1 was tremendous , and despite our great derby record, it was beyond our wildest dreams.  I bet most of us thought it was going to be a cagey, 1 goal in it affair? 

maroonsgotop

loved the "we want six" chant just after Rudi scored his second. Never ever thought I would hear Hearts fans chanting that at a Scottish Cup final especially against Hibs. 

Ex member of the SaS

Just for the record I WAS there! and what a day!. I too can't understand why they stopped playing, I get that sporting thing about not humiliating the other team but for me you go out to win by as big a margin as possible. The same happened many years ago in the NFL superbowl. SF won it handsomely and could have set a new record but the downed tools and wound down the clock.

Go out and score as many as possible as you never know what might happen. Take the Dundee game as an example, by going defensive it allowed them to control the game and only saves by Gordon saved the day. Don't change what aint broke and keep doing what was working.

Francis Albert
19 hours ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

I doubt the majority on here were at Hampden that day

So what?

Brighton Jambo
19 hours ago, jock _turd said:

My brother is good friends with Andrew Driver.  He was chatting to him about it and the reason was that some of the Hearts players were quite good friends with some of the Hibs guys and knew if it went 7/8/9 in such a big game it could actually end a few careers and they didn’t want that.  

21 hours ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

I doubt the majority on here were at Hampden that day

Cloak and dagger stuff from you.  Again.

When your mask eventually falls off, instead of just slowly slipping, you’ll look back on that halcyon day with deep sadness.

Have to say that when we went 4-1 up I was happy to keep ball as i didn't want them getting a sniff of a chance to come back.  The magnitude of the game was such that winning was everything.   

On 08/03/2021 at 12:58, Der Kaiser said:

The scoreline was just perfect. 

Fitted into the date 19 05 12

5-1 and 1902

Veni Vidi Vici

The 5-1 on your hands

We could have scored more but I'm kinda glad we didn't. A Perfect day.

Sooperb! Numerology an' aw that! 🤣

Guest ToqueJambo

Supremely confident before the game. Slightly worried at half time only being 1 up but not really. Then an incredible 5 minute period after HT. After that, we were just chatting for 40 minutes and the final whistle when it came was a bit of an anti-climax. Probably the most relaxing latter stages cup game we'll ever see. There were clearly some solitary Hibees dotted around the stand where I was and there was much amusement watching them unable to get up and leave and wondering when they'd crack (all gone immediately the 5th went in).

Claros, Soares, Osbourne and Stevenson - what a midfield 🤣. Incredible Fenlon got another season. Don't believe any Hibs fan who says they're over that game. They probably thought they'd hit rock bottom. Then 9-0 Malmo, Terry's army, Hamilton play-off and relegation thanks partly to us. Then 14/15 and condemned to two more years in the championship - again thanks to us. And we think we've had a bad patch.

29 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Supremely confident before the game. Slightly worried at half time only being 1 up but not really. Then an incredible 5 minute period after HT. After that, we were just chatting for 40 minutes and the final whistle when it came was a bit of an anti-climax. Probably the most relaxing latter stages cup game we'll ever see. There were clearly some solitary Hibees dotted around the stand where I was and there was much amusement watching them unable to get up and leave and wondering when they'd crack (all gone immediately the 5th went in).

Claros, Soares, Osbourne and Stevenson - what a midfield 🤣. Incredible Fenlon got another season. Don't believe any Hibs fan who says they're over that game. They probably thought they'd hit rock bottom. Then 9-0 Malmo, Terry's army, Hamilton play-off and relegation thanks partly to us. Then 14/15 and condemned to two more years in the championship - again thanks to us. And we think we've had a bad patch.

My stomach was a total mess the morning if the game. Remember getting the train through to Edinburgh and getting to the West End Hotel and couldn't eat or drink. It wasn't until we were at the bowling club in Paisley that I could stomach anything. Several pints and some bacon rolls later it was all good, and by the time we were driving past Pollock and seen the swathes of Hearts fans I knew it was our day. Totally agree with you about the last 40 mins of the game. Was so surreal just chilling and taking the pi55 out of the Hibbys given what was experienced in 98 and 06. 

34 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

My toilet was a total mess the morning if the game. Remember getting the train through to Edinburgh and getting to the West End Hotel and couldn't eat or drink. It wasn't until we were at the bowling club in Paisley that I could stomach anything. Several pints and some bacon rolls later it was all good, and by the time we were driving past Pollock and seen the swathes of Hearts fans I knew it was our day. Totally agree with you about the last 40 mins of the game. Was so surreal just chilling and taking the pi55 out of the Hibbys given what was experienced in 98 and 06. 

STFY 😉

21 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

STFY 😉

😂😂😂

Wasn't nearly as bad as the following day, after 20 odd pints of Best. 

16 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

😂😂😂

Wasn't nearly as bad as the following day, after 20 odd pints of Best. 

👍😂

On 08/03/2021 at 08:29, sandylejambo said:

Very romantic, are you still together.

sandylejambo
3 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Very romantic, are you still together.

It does read like that, nothing better than a romantic day at the football

Just now, sandylejambo said:

It does read like that, nothing better than a romantic day at the football

Fair play, I was only jiving.

On 07/03/2021 at 22:31, jock _turd said:

Agree it should have been 10.

On 08/03/2021 at 21:49, Chong said:

Here ya go

Class

Thank you for posting that.  I really enjoyed it.  Tremendous insights into how the players felt on the park and that they were first to virtually every 50/50 ball and dominated.

It was also very clear and a bit disappointing that 8-1 never occured to them and they were just seeing it out.

Seems to me that 2022 would be good time for the club to host a reunion.

Anthony Brown

Hi folks, saw this thread and just thought I’d post to say I’m currently working on a book about the 2012 Scottish Cup win with Paulo and the squad, to be released in lead-up to tenth anniversary. You can keep up to date with its progress by following NineteenFiveTwelve on Twitter and / or Facebook. Thanks, Anthony 👍

4F7395C9-DB61-4801-89B0-A0DD4F75E1ED.jpeg