Favourite sandwich shops past or present

crunchy frog

This is my first stab at starting a fred so please be kind!

I was thinking  about sandwich shops that i used years ago, the good ones that allow you to have your piece made to order, not pre- prepared.

My favourite -early 90s -was Donnie and Bobs in Lady Lawson St which was run by Donnie Hughes the radio dj and his mate They did proper American style subs way before shitey Subway was in Scotland.  

Mr Fox's grocer in Grindlay Street came a close second, a right old fashioned shop,everything made to order, it was like Open All Hours!

Anyone else  got any favourites?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Tazio

• crunchy frog

• jb102

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, crunchy frog said:

I was thinking  about sandwich shops that i used years ago, the good ones that allow you to have your piece made to order, not pre- prepared.

My favourite -early 90s -was Donnie and Bobs in Lady Lawson St which was run by Donnie Hughes the radio dj and his mate They did proper American style subs way before shitey Subway was in Scotland.  

Mr Fox's grocer in Grindlay Street came a close second, a right old fashioned shop,everything made to order, it was like Open All Hours!

Mr Fox was a fantastic old character. Proper old school rolls, none of that fancy salad stuff. There were bottles of wine and tinned food on the shelves that had been there for years. Poor old bloke ended up not being able to work as he developed bad dementia. 
The used to be a great sandwich shop on Forrest Road run by an old Lebanese bloke that did the best scrambled egg rolls that you could have with herbs or spices in the eggs and super strong Arab style coffee. Not sure the real name but we called it Uncle P’s. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Mr Fox was a fantastic old character. Proper old school rolls, none of that fancy salad stuff. There were bottles of wine and tinned food on the shelves that had been there for years. Poor old bloke ended up not being able to work as he developed bad dementia. 
The used to be a great sandwich shop on Forrest Road run by an old Lebanese bloke that did the best scrambled egg rolls that you could have with herbs or spices in the eggs and super strong Arab style coffee. Not sure the real name but we called it Uncle P’s. 

Sorry to hear that about Mr Fox, he was a lovely bloke. His laddie Francis was always through the back, slave to the frying pan! I think he took over at some stage, it was an Aladdin cave right enough, old glass cabinets etc

Governor Tarkin

In the 90s there was a place in Dundas St on the left hand side of the road as you go down the hill, somewhere around Great King St iirc. It was run by two gay guys. I can picture their faces perfectly but can't remember their names. Their BLT rustic bagguetes were sublime. 

Just now, crunchy frog said:

Sorry to hear that about Mr Fox, he was a lovely bloke. His laddie Francis was always through the back, slave to the frying pan! I think he took over at some stage, it was an Aladdin cave right enough, old glass cabinets etc

Francis ended up running it on his own and it was just too much for him. Someone told me at the time that they actually owned the premises and he got a pretty penny when he sold it. They lived down in East Lothian somewhere and both loved their golf. 

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Wolfits In Rose Street or the Breadwinner at Haymarket were pretty good.

Was wolfits near olivers bar towards the west end morgan? I think theres still a shop there if so

When was an apprentice we use to go to a bakery just off leith walk if I remember was called Woods , you could get lots of different types of pies and pastes used to love there curry pies.

Just now, One five said:

When was an apprentice we use to go to a bakery just off leith walk if I remember was called Woods , you could get lots of different types of pies and pastes used to love there curry pies.

Woods was on Albert Street, and as you say top notch pies. It’s now the Sicilian Bakery and is the best cake shop in Edinburgh in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Was wolfits near olivers bar towards the west end morgan? I think theres still a shop there if so

That’s the very place, Crunchy.  👍

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Francis ended up running it on his own and it was just too much for him. Someone told me at the time that they actually owned the premises and he got a pretty penny when he sold it. They lived down in East Lothian somewhere and both loved their golf. 

Had a flashy motor did Francis, if memory serves, good on him

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Woods was on Albert Street, and as you say top notch pies. It’s now the Sicilian Bakery and is the best cake shop in Edinburgh in my opinion. 

Cool , next time I’m go down that way will pop and get some cakes 👍

42 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

I used to go there for rolls. Mr and Mrs Fox were a great couple. I think she was Italian. Proper thick ham and Lockerbie cheese. He was always cheery.

"The wee shop" opposite Tynecastle annex

Charlie McNairs deli in Forrest Road

My all time favourite has to be the "gobble and go" at the top of Johnston Terrace. 

William H. Bonney

Kipps in bruntsfield. I think it was closed due to a mice infestation. 
Regardless of that unfortunate incident it was a quality takeaway. 

Rudi on forest road. I haven’t been there in years but they were very good. Great name too. 

Edited by Furious Styles

11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I used to go there for rolls. Mr and Mrs Fox were a great couple. I think she was Italian. Proper thick ham and Lockerbie cheese. He was always cheery.

As tazio says, none of that rocket salad nonsense, a bit salt and pepper or if you were exotic a blob ay salad cream 😀

There was (maybe still is) a deli shop at the north end of Inverleith Row that did fantastic value filled paninis and baguettes.  Freshly sliced deli cold meats,  cheeses,  variety of deli olives,  salads,  'slaws and the like.  

The best takeaway sandwiches (well, rolls really) I've ever had in the UK were in Jersey when I worked there for a year or so 20+ years ago. It wasn't even so much the fillings - good though they were, or the ones I bought were anyway! - but the rolls themselves: Portuguese rolls from a local bakery. They were fantastic - rustic, substantial, and crusty, and with a lovely chewy "crumb" too. They were so good I broke the habits of a working-lifetime and always bought a takeaway lunch rather than make-up my own; the only place I've worked where I've ever done that regularly. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

It’s now the Sicilian Bakery and is the best cake shop in Edinburgh in my opinion. 

Their savouries are just as good. The place is a hidden gem. 

Hanks on Fountainbridge, Piecebox in Polwarth and the wee place opposite the Roseburn Bar are all worth a visit these days. 👌

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Their savouries are just as good. The place is a hidden gem. 

Hanks on Fountainbridge, Piecebox in Polwarth and the wee place opposite the Roseburn Bar are all worth a visit these days. 👌

True. Great proper arancini.

1 hour ago, jb102 said:

My all time favourite has to be the "gobble and go" at the top of Johnston Terrace. 

+1 for Charlie McNair’s

(Didn’t it move onto George IV Bridge for a while - just round the corner from  Chambers Street?)

Long shot but did anyone else work at the British Gas site (Westfield) at Ballingry in the 80's? Canteen was brilliant for filled rolls in  the morning and the wee lassie who worked there Vicki looked utter filth apart from being mildly cross-eyed!!

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

There was (maybe still is) a deli shop at the north end of Inverleith Row that did fantastic value filled paninis and baguettes.  Freshly sliced deli cold meats,  cheeses,  variety of deli olives,  salads,  'slaws and the like.  

Not sure if it’s the same place but when I worked for the NHS at Trinity Park House there was a place called Choose a cheese and it was by far the best sandwich shop I’ve ever been into. Over 70 types of cheese, huge selection of bread and rolls, wide selection of cold meats and salami’s etc. Each customer selected their bread, indicated if they wanted butter, Marge or mayo, then asked if you wanted any salad, pick a cheese and any additional meat. Each roll was huge and only cost about a quid sixty.

Edited by Ribble

1 hour ago, weegranty said:

Was there a place in Edinburgh called Get Stuffed? Seem to recall the name.

There was.

Get Stuffed was in Rose Street.

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, jb102 said:

:oohmatron:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Rapid Rolls just of Semple St loved it when I worked in the offices over from it. 

+1. I used to work at Tollcross and would venture there when in need of a morning roll.  Queues out the door most days at lunch time.  The baked potatoes are superb as well.

Years ago there was a place on ratcliffe terrace, they sold what was called a gut buster. A roll the size of a dinner plate with a full breakfast on it . Anyone else remember , it must have been 15/20 years ago so one for the older crowd.

There was an Italian place on the high street opposite John Knox house late 90s/early 00’s that did the best hero sandwiches. I make my own but their ones were incredible. 

I used a place when I worked in Edinburgh in the late 80's that was in St Peters place then they relocated to the top of Viewforth,can't remember the name though.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

There was.

Get Stuffed was in Rose Street.

Thanks,still can't visualize the shop though,getting old though,50 this year.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Long shot but did anyone else work at the British Gas site (Westfield) at Ballingry in the 80's? Canteen was brilliant for filled rolls in  the morning and the wee lassie who worked there Vicki looked utter filth apart from being mildly cross-eyed!!

My Geordie Mrs calls them "bong eyed", I prefer that to be honest.

8 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:oohmatron:

I know. A school mate of mine worked there before he joined the polis. I think sandwich making was the most difficult thing he ever had to do. He retired as a detective inspector. If I described him as a total buffoon any member of L&B would know who I’m talking about.he didn’t do the gobbles.

Edited by jb102

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, jb102 said:

I know. A school mate of mine worked there before he joined the polis. I think sandwich making was the most difficult thing he ever had to do. He retired as a detective inspector. If I described him as a total buffoon any member of L&B would know who I’m talking about.he didn’t do the gobbles.

:lol:

8 hours ago, obua said:

Years ago there was a place on ratcliffe terrace, they sold what was called a gut buster. A roll the size of a dinner plate with a full breakfast on it . Anyone else remember , it must have been 15/20 years ago so one for the older crowd.

The flunch 👍.  Worked for a plumbing company across the road for a year. Late 80s. The special was a roll the size of a plate.  Think its a bolck of new flats now.

8 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

The flunch 👍.  Worked for a plumbing company across the road for a year. Late 80s. The special was a roll the size of a plate.  Think its a bolck of new flats now.

Thanks, that’s the place I’d forgotten the name.

Samuel Camazzola
28 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Another for Rapid Rolls. Absolutely superb. 

There were quite a few within the vicinity which were very good. Crusts beside Tollcross Primary, Hanks near the corner of Grove Street, Fountain Cafe on Grove Street and Scooby's on Morrison Street. 

Alexander's at the West Port was a little further but very good. I don't know if its still there but Piggies on Morrison Street did some decent filled rolls. 

There was a place on the right hand side of Hanover Street as you walked down towards Queen Street that did amazing meatball marinara sandwiches, a million miles away from the crap that Subway produces. 

Can't remember it's name now, but you had to get there pretty sharp after midday as there were always queues out the door for them... 

Салатные палочки

Bunters Bothy in Paisley was great.  A wee family run shop the size of a hut, queued round the corner at lunchtimes.  On my first day working at the broo across the road from it, I sauntered over for an egg and sausage doubler.  I was starving so bit into it straight away, BANG!  Big massive drip of yoke down my new shirt and tie.  

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Simons, think it was near the West end of Princes Street. It was 30 years ago 😂 so if my memory is rusty I apologise 

Yeah simons was one of my first regular lunch spots when I worked at Drumsheugh Gardens, now one of the Bross Bagel shops on Queensferry street

I P Knightley
58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There were quite a few within the vicinity which were very good. Crusts beside Tollcross Primary, Hanks near the corner of Grove Street, Fountain Cafe on Grove Street and Scooby's on Morrison Street. 

Alexander's at the West Port was a little further but very good. I don't know if its still there but Piggies on Morrison Street did some decent filled rolls. 

I'm trying to remember the name of a roll/sandwich shop on Morrison Street I used to use in the early '80s. I don't think it was called Piggies, though. Just a wee baker's shop on the other side of the road to the bottom of Grove Street. Nothing spectacular but they'd make any roll you would ask for. It became a challenge to get the most bizarre roll from them. Beef and tuna mayonnaise, for instance.

They also did good cakes and ever since being served there, I've pronounced "mille feuille" as "milly filly" which is what the wee wifie in the shop said.