Favourite sandwich shops past or present

crunchy frog

Jeffros Furios
17 hours ago, Tazio said:

Francis ended up running it on his own and it was just too much for him. Someone told me at the time that they actually owned the premises and he got a pretty penny when he sold it. They lived down in East Lothian somewhere and both loved their golf. 

When the shop closed Francis was going to become a caddy for guys on golfing holidays .

He told me the money was great when caddying for Americans .

Can't remember what course but definitely near where he stayed in East Lothian .

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Tazio

• crunchy frog

• jb102

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Aye, it's really good but pricey as ****! 

Yeah and the smidgeon of potato salad they give you alongside the sandwich pisses me off as well. I told the lassie that unless she felt I could do with losing weight, then put another spoonful into my container. She didnt know what to do; either risk offending me or just put in another spoonful :laugh:

Got another spoonful in the end but just felt like a greedy fat ******* :rofl:

Edited by AlimOzturk

There was a food truck at Newbridge that was opened by the sister of the owner of EasternWestern Group in whose forecourt it was positioned.

It was in an old Merc 608d van from memory.

It was known as the "M" eat, where the elite meet to eat.A food truck in todays style 30 years ago.Despite the cheesy name it was very very good.

Until the portion sizes were halved over night. Never went back.

Fxxx the SPFL

after a night on the lash up town heading back to Gorgie we used to stop at Malones Bakery on Slateford Road hot rolls absolutely brilliant with a pie stuck in the middle. Also remember Davy's café in Gorgie Road was brilliant and cheap his mince pies were great loads of grease.

48 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

after a night on the lash up town heading back to Gorgie we used to stop at Malones Bakery on Slateford Road hot rolls absolutely brilliant with a pie stuck in the middle. Also remember Davy's café in Gorgie Road was brilliant and cheap his mince pies were great loads of grease.

That reminds me of when I used to go to the Scotland games when I was at school, we use to get off the train at haymarket walk up to malones bakery for rolls before we got home, good times.

Derek's rolls👍. First stop every morning 93/94 when working on the Scottish office at Victoria Quay. Shop was mobbed early morning with guys from the site. A few Fridays would be on earlier bus and pop into swannys?🍻 Before heading onto site. 

Screenshot_20210215-090651_Earth.jpg

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Used to pop in to Malones for a couple of rolls but end up waking in the morning with 2 packs of bacon 4 soft rolls 4 well fired rolls 2 pies and 2 rounds of bran scones and a tub of margarine :) :)

The late night bakery in Morrison Street was also popular

Seymour M Hersh

3 places spring to mind.

90/00's In North Charlotte St. It's still a sandwich shop but that gal who started it (Tracy) sold it quite a few years ago. They did great stuff in there.

86-89. In North St Andrew St. there was a little place pretty much on the corner at York Place, you went down some stairs to get to it. They did Chile Con Carne pies that were awesome. 

72/73. A place in Thistle St just near Frederick St. It might have been called Hero's as it made (for us the first time we'd seen them) Hero sandwiches (subs basically). 

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, the general said:

Used to pop in to Malones for a couple of rolls but end up waking in the morning with 2 packs of bacon 4 soft rolls 4 well fired rolls 2 pies and 2 rounds of bran scones and a tub of margarine :) :)

The late night bakery in Morrison Street was also popular

brilliant

21 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Derek's rolls👍. First stop every morning 93/94 when working on the Scottish office at Victoria Quay. Shop was mobbed early morning with guys from the site. A few Fridays would be on earlier bus and pop into swannys?🍻 Before heading onto site. 

Derricks has been there for years, I went there late seventies when I worked in Robbs.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yeah and the smidgeon of potato salad they give you alongside the sandwich pisses me off as well. I told the lassie that unless she felt I could do with losing weight, then put another spoonful into my container. She didnt know what to do; either risk offending me or just put in another spoonful :laugh:

Got another spoonful in the end but just felt like a greedy fat ******* :rofl:

Haha brilliant. But aye they're always stingy as ****. I love that tattie salad they do and also they used to do this side salad with broccoli and bacon and some sauce than was amazing.

2 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Unless they have changed they microwave their hot roll fillings.  Never went back after that.

A robust centre forward

There was an antiques shop on South Trinity Road near the Ferry Road junction which did a roaring trade at lunchtime with hand made filled rolls at lunchtime. The fillings were large, the rolls were superb. Went there for about 5 years and never once saw anyone buying an antique !

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Unless they have changed they microwave their hot roll fillings.  Never went back after that.

Never seen them do that, in fact if you go after the early morning rush there's normally a bit of a wait while stuff gets cooked 

4 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Been there a few times. If they ever reach mediocrity they will have surpassed themselves.

Luckily for them there's not a lot of choice around in that area.

15 hours ago, weegranty said:

Thanks,still can't visualize the shop though,getting old though,50 this year.

I spoke with my wife about this place, granty.

She remembers it as being a restaurant rather than a sandwich shop.  I think she’s right as we used to go there quite a lot.

I think it was either in the ‘Olivers’ block or in the Precinct.

3 hours ago, weegranty said:

Quick and plenty on Leven St. Done great hot filled rolls,not been there for over 30+ years though.

The Q and P was brilliant for a breakfast, many years ago.  Ran by two women, big Christine and a wee wifey with red hair.

Sadly, Christine died and the place was taken over by her son.  In my opinion, it went right downhill.

4 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

The place next door was Isa’s Chat And Chew. More a sit down place that did fry ups. 

21 hours ago, weegranty said:

Was there a place in Edinburgh called Get Stuffed? Seem to recall the name.

Pretty sure that was a restaurant in Rose Street.

My dad still talks about a steak he had in there about 30 years ago.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

The place next door was Isa’s Chat And Chew. More a sit down place that did fry ups. 

I thought there was a SNACKS next door to Dereks as well. I might be getting mixed up.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I thought there was a SNACKS next door to Dereks as well. I might be getting mixed up.

I’m going way back in time to when it was Isa’s. 

luckyBatistuta

The Nook on Morningside road was a regular stop for takeaway rolls for me and my mates. There was a few seats if you wanted to sit in, but that decision was always made upon entering. They used to let a guy from the Royal Edinburgh Hospital help out and if you got a coffee, he would bring it over. The problem with that was, he would always carry it with his thumb in your coffee🤮 

11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm trying to remember the name of a roll/sandwich shop on Morrison Street I used to use in the early '80s. I don't think it was called Piggies, though. Just a wee baker's shop on the other side of the road to the bottom of Grove Street. Nothing spectacular but they'd make any roll you would ask for. It became a challenge to get the most bizarre roll from them. Beef and tuna mayonnaise, for instance.

They also did good cakes and ever since being served there, I've pronounced "mille feuille" as "milly filly" which is what the wee wifie in the shop said.

I seem to think it was the No 1 or something similar, I'll find out tomorrow as someone I know worked there for years.

Edited by maroondevo52

The opposite of what the thread is asking for but mid 80's there were 2 sandwich shops owned by the same family in Thistle Street. They did sausage (hot dog), bacon or fried egg rolls which were all pre-made in the morning then stuck in little poly bags. If you asked for one it was then reheated in a microwave so you got a chewy hot roll with an even chewier filling.

Absolute shite and yet the queues were out the door.

On 14/02/2021 at 21:57, Stu_HMFC said:

Rapid Rolls just of Semple St loved it when I worked in the offices over from it. 

Worked for 3 years at Excel House for Hbos corporate IT in the late noughties. Rapid Rolls was my lunchstop of choice,  though there were several options in that area if you fancied something different. 

i fear the sandwich shop sector will shrink badly post covid. 

30 years ago I worked at the Hydro Electric HQ and frequented a place on Drumsheugh Place - tremendous. Had to time it right as the queue was usually out the door.

These days I frequent Lochrin Square, so Hanks it is. Not every day though or else I'd be massive :D

On 15/02/2021 at 12:11, larbertjambo said:

I used to be in the CID in West Lothian but occasionally we were called in to Edinburgh to work on murder squads.

We worked at Leith quite a lot and always called into Derricks for our heart attack morning greasy rolls. 

Set you up for the day especially when visiting some salubrious homes in the likes of Royston. 

18 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The Nook on Morningside road was a regular stop for takeaway rolls for me and my mates. There was a few seats if you wanted to sit in, but that decision was always made upon entering. They used to let a guy from the Royal Edinburgh Hospital help out and if you got a coffee, he would bring it over. The problem with that was, he would always carry it with his thumb in your coffee🤮 

This post made me :lol: 

I remember this clearly, the bloke in question was one of the sons of the McGilveray family that owned the chip shop beside the Canny Mans (The Clan Chattan?).

He was a pretty wild man, if I remember correctly.  😀

3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

I used to be in the CID in West Lothian but occasionally we were called in to Edinburgh to work on murder squads.

We worked at Leith quite a lot and always called into Derricks for our heart attack morning greasy rolls. 

Set you up for the day especially when visiting some salubrious homes in the likes of Royston. 

This’ll go down well with folk from Royston!  😂😂

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

This’ll go down well with folk from Royston!  😂😂

I did say salubrious.

I was on a squad for a murder outside Skippers in Granton (used to be the Anchor). Spent most of my time in and out of houses in Royston, Granton and Wardieburn. Everybody I spoke to had been in the toilet when it happened and never saw a thing. 😗

9 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

I did say salubrious.

I was on a squad for a murder outside Skippers in Granton (used to be the Anchor). Spent most of my time in and out of houses in Royston, Granton and Wardieburn. Everybody I spoke to had been in the toilet when it happened and never saw a thing. 😗

:rofl: 

I can only imagine!

4 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

Steady with the libel on Royston.

57 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Hi John, salubrious is the word I used. Hope you are well? 

Lol, I'm good thanks. Hope you are well too?

21 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Friendly''s on the West Port was very good in the late 1980''s when I worked in the area.

I mind of friendlys. Light green paint job outside? I seem to remember the lad behind the counter being a bit of a dobber... was a long time ago though 

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Worked for 3 years at Excel House for Hbos corporate IT in the late noughties. Rapid Rolls was my lunchstop of choice,  though there were several options in that area if you fancied something different. 

i fear the sandwich shop sector will shrink badly post covid. 

How bad was excel house when you were there ? The bank I worked with rented 3 floors they have actually just moved out the building. 

I used to take a walk up into the meadows on a lunch break stopping at the yelly deli polish run was not bad .

33 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

How bad was excel house when you were there ? The bank I worked with rented 3 floors they have actually just moved out the building. 

I used to take a walk up into the meadows on a lunch break stopping at the yelly deli polish run was not bad .

I used to use Rapid Rolls when I worked with BofS in new uberior house 2006-2008. Great service & food, especially the home made soup.

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It was prettty rough, especially if you were in the basement.

3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

Hi John, salubrious is the word I used. Hope you are well? 

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Lol, I'm good thanks. Hope you are well too?

A new friendship?  😚

:thumbsup: 

30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was prettty rough, especially if you were in the basement.

Yeah that was the fraud teams floor pretty grim even the training and meeting rooms down there . Maurice the security guard was a good hearts man . Used to stand and gab about the jambos for ages made me late a few times 😂 I don’t know if he is on this or not. 

wee coffee shop over from it pronto was no bad good food too . 

Dennis Reynolds

When I was at Uni in Dundee a good few years ago now there used to be a sandwich shop called Brodie's that I would spend my student loan in. 

Chicken Tikka and Mozzarella paninis. Ooooft! Have never been able to get a similar radioactive looking chicken tikka since 🤣

There's every chance it's still there and I may have to pop in when I'm going through next time because of this thread!

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, Morgan said:

This post made me :lol: 

I remember this clearly, the bloke in question was one of the sons of the McGilveray family that owned the chip shop beside the Canny Mans (The Clan Chattan?).

He was a pretty wild man, if I remember correctly.  😀

It’s a different guy Morgan. He was from the Royal Ed and used to tell us about the electric shock therapy he had🤷‍♂️😬

The guy in the Clan Chattan had the wildest eyes you’ve ever seen. When he asked you if you wanted salt and sauce with that stare, you just said yes whether you wanted it or not, just in case he vaulted the counter and tore you limb from limb🤣 

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s a different guy Morgan. He was from the Royal Ed and used to tell us about the electric shock therapy he had🤷‍♂️😬

The guy in the Clan Chattan had the wildest eyes you’ve ever seen. When he asked you if you wanted salt and sauce with that stare, you just said yes whether you wanted it or not, just in case he vaulted the counter and tore you limb from limb🤣 

He was ok and actually had a great sense of humour.We used to wind him up daily.I realise now that he had a skelly yak and probably an over active thyroid.

22 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

I did say salubrious.

It's still the Anchor now.