"Hearts are THE club" Antti Niemi

Tommy Brown

Been supporting Hearts since the days of Cruickshank (& garland).
Craig Gordon is a truly outstanding goalkeeper, however, Antti Niemi is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen play.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• John Findlay

• Deodato

• chrystaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Not sure if people still post it thinking it's original and/or funny. 

It's had the arse kicked out of it. Awful chat. 

while it’s had the arse kicked out it, it’s timeless, it probably means he’s remembered every day. 

Fag paper between Craig and Niemi, I maybe give it "just" to Craig. 8f he'd been unfettered by injury I think he'd have gone on to be way beyond.

That said Henry is my favourite!!!!! My absolute hero when I was a bairn! Henry Henry, show us yer bum

41 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Sorry for the 

Sorry JKB, but I've gotta perform a u-turn and go with @John Findlay. The Rob Jones save is Gordon Banks + (plus!). Time stamped link here. When you see the reply behind the goals, it's clear he's adjusting his whole body position in flight to parry the shot as it dips. How do these goal keepers make such calculations in just a fraction of a second, and with limited visibility? Breathtaking. 

Score so far: Gordon, Niemi: 30-15. Niemi to serve. 

It's natural ability. Craig Gordon, Antti Niemi, Jim Cruickshank, Gordon Banks et al, they are born with it. Some more than others.

I always say how do you tell the great goalies from the good ones?

The great goalies make less mistakes. They make mistakes, all goalies do, they just make less than the rest.

14 minutes ago, pointon said:

Probably the best keeper we have had but big Gilles Rousset is my favourite 

Agree, but Niemi never fulfilled his promise to return to Tynie to acknowledge the fans.  Gilles did.

10 hours ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

Sure he knocked Man U at the last moment, as he had given his  word to the team he signed for cant remember  what English team it was 

Integrity and world class if ever 

Arsenal and Man U came in for him but he'd already said yet to Southampton

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

Not in the video but the best save i have seen from Gordon was the partick thistle deflected free kick unbelievable.

@Ominous by chance, was that the Scottish Cup quarter final? We won 2-1 I think?

Great goalie, and an all round great guy! 

That save at Celtic Park is one of the best I've ever seen. He had no right to save it. Thats how good it was. 

Yet another foreigner who is captured by the famous Heart of Midlothian. He gets it. 

Gordons save for Sunderland v Bolton is probably up there with the best saves ever.  His saves v Sparta Prague was the best I've seen in person i think.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Its difficult between Gordon and Niemi for this reason: I think Craig pulled off some saves that Niemi couldn’t have but Niemi edges Gordon on larger per game average of shot stoppers

Lets be thankful we had them both in this generation of the club 

16 minutes ago, a11ank said:

Has to be one of the funniest 'phone in' calls ever!

It was a scandal as he was only 26 at the time and not a sniff at a cap with Scotland. I hate the SFA

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The save from Rob Jones header is one of the best saves from a goalkeeper I've ever seen.

Yep, brilliant. 

The triple save against sparta also astonishes me every time I see it, but I think I even prefer the next one against livi.  It's ridiculous how quickly he adjusted to turn that drive over the bar. Just incredible. 

11 hours ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

Sure he knocked Man U at the last moment, as he had given his  word to the team he signed for cant remember  what English team it was 

Integrity and world class if ever 

Was Southampton. Remember the goalie they had at the time being interviewed on sky sports news saying "I've heard he's a good keeper, but he'll be waiting a while before he gets a chance". I remember smiling thinking you've no chance pal. Think he lasted 1 more game, niemi took over and the other boy got papped off to wolves. 

He's right about the mistakes. I only remember 1 against Celtic that ended in the net. 1 boy shouted at him for letting it in and the rest of the section shouted at the boy to shut up. Although we lost to Celtic, reckon the fans felt more sorry for niemi extremely uncharacteristic mistake than losing the game. 

We've been absolutely blessed to see so much quality between the posts over the years, but when I think back to Niemi it seemed that every week he made at least one astonishing save plus several other really good ones. 

I've never been blown away as often by any other Hearts keeper. 

I mind when he was on Question of Sport and the answer to one question was Hearts. He was on Ally McCoist's team and when he answered Hearts he punched his fist in the air and shouted "Yesss!" under his breath, much to the bemusement of Ally who just looked at him as if he was mad. Niemi looked back at him, shrugged his shoulders in a "what?!" gesture. Loved Hearts did Niemi.

5 hours ago, Mabawsa said:

For some reason he always seemed to be in the Rangers teams that came to Tynie. Pure class and during the blethers  with work mates, I said if only we had him. Still remember the day one of them told me, “you got yer man”. Could not believe it, steal of a price and IMHO the best goalie ever to wear a Hearts jersey. 

He was in goals for der Hun in the first league match of the new season after our Cup win - we won 2-1 but if it wasn't for him, it would have been 5 or 6.   Outstanding performance ,,,, and all the more satisfying when JJ signed him the following year !!       Lovely to hear just what Hearts still mean to him.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

He was in goals for der Hun in the first league match of the new season after our Cup win - we won 2-1 but if it wasn't for him, it would have been 5 or 6.   Outstanding performance ,,,, and all the more satisfying when JJ signed him the following year !!       Lovely to hear just what Hearts still mean to him.

Goes to show just how good a keeper Klos was too by keeping Niemi out the team.

Big Niemi was class, although I don't think I ever got to witness him play in the flesh sadly. First goalkeeper I really recall though. I caught the tail end of Giles in my first couple of Hearts games and looking back, he's a big cult hero, but easy to see why Niemi was considered a great keeper.

Didn't he break his neck at Fulham?

EDIT: He played in goals in my first derby at Easter Road in 2002 I'm sure? The 2-1 Pressley game. Was also at a 0-0 draw vs Killie in 2000 but apparently Niemi wasn't in the squad that day.

Edited by Locky

For me Cruickie was something else but, of the modern keepers, loved Smith, Rousset and Niemi just edges it over Gordon, although as I typed that, I realised I was so close to reversing it.

57 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I posted this about 10 years ago so perfect time for a re-showing.

niemi a.jpg

Great find!

Failed Communist Experiment = The Uglies - Brezhnev and Kosygin.  

3 hours ago, Deodato said:

@Ominous by chance, was that the Scottish Cup quarter final? We won 2-1 I think?

We did win 2-1 not too sure if it was scottish cup game but gordon was already moving left then threw himself to the right after the deflection. One of the best saves I have seen.

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

We did win 2-1 not too sure if it was scottish cup game but gordon was already moving left then threw himself to the right after the deflection. One of the best saves I have seen.

Pretty sure it was, and it was the day Scotland beat England at Murrayfield too - best dual Birthday present I ever received. Shout out to anyone who can find the YouTube'age so we can see it again.

13 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Mate of mine was at Hearts threatening first team at the time. They trained at Corn Exchange when weather was bad. Next to impossible to score against the guy in full size goals, imagine facing him at one end Craig at other. We’ve been spoiled with great keepers in my era. Henry being first. 

Maybe Joel Perreira was average then? then again...

Niemi was the best for me.. Truly amazing..

One of my best memories about Niemi that gets glossed over. Does anyone remember the Beckham free kick against Greece in the last minute to get a draw and take them through. It would have been for nothing except Niemi, playing for Finland at the same time, was basically a one man team keeping out Germany for a 0-0 draw. He was phenomenal that game. Beckham gets the plaudits but it was Niemi who made it all possible.

Phenomenal keeper, and easily one of the best I’ve seen at cutting down the angle in one on ones.

always have and always will have a soft spot for big Henry though.

Henry got me into gking, used to love standing behind the goals just to watch him...
If it weren't for Robo (God) then Big  H would have had that title, thankfully Robo merited it. over and over again...

6 hours ago, a11ank said:

Has to be one of the funniest 'phone in' calls ever!

Who was it from here who made that mischievous call, not sure if he still posts?

Diadora Van Basten

Niemi was a great siege keeper who would make numerous saves. He also had that ability to save shots that he had no right to.

10 hours ago, Ominous said:

Not in the video but the best save i have seen from Gordon was the partick thistle deflected free kick unbelievable.

2nd that. He's made a few worldies in his time has oor Craig. 

LarrysRightFoot

My favourite Hearts keeper. Almost moved to Man U at one point. Would have loved to have seen him at a top club. 

7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Maybe Joel Perreira was average then? then again...

I'm thinking that even Zibi Malkowski was a better 'keeper for Hearts than was Joel Pereira. Nope, not being facetious. I've yet to be convinced that Zibi wasn't a 5th columnist. 😉

8 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I posted this about 10 years ago so perfect time for a re-showing.

niemi a.jpg

I love the sentiment ... and like to think that he really did fall asleep dreaming of thwarting Henrik Larsson. That's the type of player we (or any other team for that matter) should aim to sign, whether a 'keeper or otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I love the sentiment ... and like to think that he really did fall asleep dreaming of thwarting Henrik Larsson. That's the type of player we (or any other team for that matter) should aim to sign, whether a 'keeper or otherwise.

👍🏼
Also pointing out the demonstrable flaws in communist idealism.
What a guy 😍

7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

I'm thinking that even Zibi Malkowski was a better 'keeper for Hearts than was Joel Pereira. Nope, not being facetious. I've yet to be convinced that Zibi wasn't a 5th columnist. 😉

Zibby is better than pereira.  

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Zibby is better than pereira.  

He kept hubz hopes alive back in 2012 if it wasn't for him it would have been 10. 

12 hours ago, King prawn said:

Made some phenomenal saves, especially that one versus Celtic

He did a similar save v hubz at Tynie.

kawasakijambo
22 hours ago, Deodato said:

Sorry for the 

Sorry JKB, but I've gotta perform a u-turn and go with @John Findlay. The Rob Jones save is Gordon Banks + (plus!). Time stamped link here. When you see the reply behind the goals, it's clear he's adjusting his whole body position in flight to parry the shot as it dips. How do these goal keepers make such calculations in just a fraction of a second, and with limited visibility? Breathtaking. 

Score so far: Gordon, Niemi: 30-15. Niemi to serve. 

The Jones header was in all the way....