"Hearts are THE club" Antti Niemi

Tommy Brown

Joel Sked, Evening News

Something romantic about Hearts

Nearly 19 years on from exiting Tynecastle after 106 appearances to land a dream move to the Premier League with Southampton, Niemi still speaks with such pride that he was able to represent the club.

When Niemi, whose daughter was born in Scotland, departed it was emotional but it was an opportunity he felt he had to take.

Despite all he has achieved in the game it was the Gorgie club which burrowed its way into soul more than any other, instilling him with a special feeling he found hard to explain.

"When you are closing in on 50 you start looking back at what you’ve done in your life,” the 48-year-old said in an interview with CoffeeFriend.co.uk.

"You remember your footballing days and Hearts have always been THE club for me.

"Don’t get me wrong. I was very lucky to play in the English Premier League with Southampton and Fulham but there was something romantic about the place.

“I went there from Rangers where I was second or third keeper and suddenly got the chance to be No.1 and be a big part of the team.

"We finished third, had some European football, memorable derbies. I hope it doesn’t sound cocky but I really can’t remember too many games I let the team down.

"I loved my time there and it’s definitely one of those places I miss now and then.”

He added: “I was already 30 at the time and probably for a minute I thought I’m never going to be playing in the Premier League.

"So when the call came and Gordan Strachan wanted me to join them it was quite an easy decision.

"It was sad at the time but professionally, I hope, a very understandable decision.”

Niemi was taken aback somewhat when told he was, to some fans, the best they have witnessed between the sticks at Tynecastle. Something he found “odd” but appreciated.

A significant feat considering the goalkeepers who have graced the club, from Jim Cruickshank to Henry Smith, Gilles Rousset and then Craig Gordon, who was just a young buck coming through the ranks during Niemi’s time at the club.

“Craig was this young, skinny, tall guy coming through the ranks and I remember him because I dropped him home a few times after training,” he said.

"I just remember thinking he was really polite and well-behaved kid and in the training you could see he had something special.

"He had a nasty injury, I was a little bit surprised he came back because he was out for a couple of years. I’m sure he didn’t know if he was going to play again or not.

He’s fantastic. I left Hearts and when I stopped playing football I looked at the games or highlights on the TV or internet, some of the saves Craig was pulling out it was just wow, unbelievable.

"I’m happy for him.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• John Findlay

• Deodato

• chrystaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started watching Hearts in the late 60's so memories of Cruickshank are faded. Gordon or Niemi tough call, but Niemi just shades it for me. Sorry Craig.

Niemi was the difference between a narrow loss to the old firm and getting a pasting. He stopped so many sure shots, it was breathtaking to watch. What always left my jaw on the floor was how he would seemingly fly horizontally into position to parry a shot away from goal. Those shots were bullets and he had one arm at full stretch, yet still stopped it. Check the Celtic save 30 seconds in. 

alwaysthereinspirit
18 minutes ago, graygo said:

Never picked for Scotland though.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Who at that time was better?

Scottish football showing its true colors.

Cant believe he was never capped for Scotland.

The whole “he’s finished” patter is absolute chronic now and deserve a ban.

Anyway.... Antti was my hero growing up and got a signed framed top. Pride and joy nicely hanging in the dinning room :D 

So many overseas players are etched in our very soul.  I'd be here all day listing them.  It's a terrific part of our fabric as a club.

Niemi just another who left a lasting impression on us and ot was fully reciprocated.

haveyouheard1874

Sure he knocked Man U at the last moment, as he had given his  word to the team he signed for cant remember  what English team it was 

Integrity and world class if ever 

Phenomenal keeper and well loved here. Can't believe he doesn't know how highly he is regarded. 

Probably would have to flip a coin to choose between Craig and Antti. 

We've been very lucky to have some smashing chaps in the nets over the years. 

Byyy The Light

Mate of mine was at Hearts threatening first team at the time. They trained at Corn Exchange when weather was bad. Next to impossible to score against the guy in full size goals, imagine facing him at one end Craig at other. We’ve been spoiled with great keepers in my era. Henry being first. 

Edited by Byyy The Light

best in the land

My favourite hearts keeper. 

Great when a foreign player gets hearts like that, good to hear. 

Gordon second to niemi for me. 

ToadKiller Dog

Of the goalies i have seen at Hearts maybe Nemi had the most solid all round game, I would put Gordon above as he has made  more impossible saves than anybody in my time .

A_A wehatethehibs

He was one of them keepers that used to have those “nothing is getting past me today” games, every week. Even if he’d let a goal in and we’d won 2-1, we would usually have him to thank for the win. At 50 he would have done more than a job for us last season.

Incredible keeper, wrists and arms so strong. Most of the saves in that video would snap Poppadom Hands wrists in half! Trying to pick between Niemi & Gordon is probably one of the most difficult things when picking a best 11 for Hearts.

For some reason he always seemed to be in the Rangers teams that came to Tynie. Pure class and during the blethers  with work mates, I said if only we had him. Still remember the day one of them told me, “you got yer man”. Could not believe it, steal of a price and IMHO the best goalie ever to wear a Hearts jersey. 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was one of them keepers that used to have those “nothing is getting past me today” games, every week. Even if he’d let a goal in and we’d won 2-1, we would usually have him to thank for the win. At 50 he would have done more than a job for us last season.

At 50, wearing a diving suit,he'd have saved more than that imposter

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Niemi was the difference between a narrow loss to the old firm and getting a pasting. He stopped so many sure shots, it was breathtaking to watch. What always left my jaw on the floor was how he would seemingly fly horizontally into position to parry a shot away from goal. Those shots were bullets and he had one arm at full stretch, yet still stopped it. Check the Celtic save 30 seconds in. 

What a fantastic CV for a fantastic goalie and a Bon Jovi classic great stuff 

8 hours ago, Chaps said:

The whole “he’s finished” patter is absolute chronic now and deserve a ban.

Not sure if people still post it thinking it's original and/or funny. 

It's had the arse kicked out of it. Awful chat. 

5 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

The save from Rob Jones header is one of the best saves from a goalkeeper I've ever seen.

8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

So many overseas players are etched in our very soul.  I'd be here all day listing them.  It's a terrific part of our fabric as a club.

Niemi just another who left a lasting impression on us and ot was fully reciprocated.

Even guys who don't do so well seem to fall in love with us. We're a genuinely special club. We're different.

No decanters required.

6 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Best keeper for us I have seen (84-present).

Would love to have seen Cruickie in action.

This, I am too young to remember any keeper before Rousset. There's a few players I hear about I wish I could've seen play. I envy my son, he can hear about the legends of my era and hop onto to YouTube. Sadly I cannot 😔

Edited by WDJ87

I was living in Abu Dhabi at the time, I remember going with my visiting Jambo mate to a sports bar to watch a Finland vs England WC qualifier  The bar was full of English with the exception of two Scots screaming Niemi, Neimi, Niemi... ad nauseam.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

We have had some cracking goalies in my lifetime HS, GR, CG etc and Niemi is the best!...

...frankly in my opinion it's not even close!

As many people have said we have been spoiled having great keepers and Niemi is certainly up there with JC and CG . A wee special mention for Kello as well, not the greatest we have had but still very good. When I think about the dross we had last season it makes me want to greet, if we had any of the keepers I have mentioned we would not have been bottom.....😫😫 come to think about it,if we had cardboard cut outs of any of them we still would have better than what we had,....😁

Edited by micole

I honestly believe in Neimi and Gordon we had two keepers who could have graced any team in the world while at there best. Some of Niemi's saves where just ridiculous.

Sorry for the 

53 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The save from Rob Jones header is one of the best saves from a goalkeeper I've ever seen.

Sorry JKB, but I've gotta perform a u-turn and go with @John Findlay. The Rob Jones save is Gordon Banks + (plus!). Time stamped link here. When you see the reply behind the goals, it's clear he's adjusting his whole body position in flight to parry the shot as it dips. How do these goal keepers make such calculations in just a fraction of a second, and with limited visibility? Breathtaking. 

Score so far: Gordon, Niemi: 30-15. Niemi to serve. 

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He was a fantastic player.

Pretty sure we signed him with the SMG cash along with Tomaschek and Petric etc

It wasn't all wasted then.

Niemi was absolutely the best. Better than Rousset, Cruickie & Henry, Craig. 

6 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Not in the video but the best save i have seen from Gordon was the partick thistle deflected free kick unbelievable.