Josh Doig - one that got away?

Niemi’s gloves

37 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

I watched him often in our U17/18's and I actually spoke to his dad before he left Hearts. He was offered a full time contract after being part time for a season but wanted to leave as he was being played in center midfield, center back and was struggling. He was like a fish out of water in midfield and slightly better at centre back. Reason he was playing those positions was Hickey and Leo Watson were getting played at left back and both looked miles better than Doig.  Levein still offered him a contract and did not let him go, Doig did not want to stay, then he ended up at them and to be fair has done well. But if you ask me Hickey and Watson are still miles better than him.

How dare you 🤣 , i was away to post saying most of the posts on this thread are ridiculous....Then there is this one which is just 👌🏻👍🏻

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Rudy T

• jambonian

• Section Q

9 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Probably could have played Hickey at right back and Doig at left back. Unfortunately it looks like it was Levein’s call.

Get real...

13 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Both good so players why not retain both......?

Do you actually think we can tell

players “you are staying , you must sign a new contract” “you must not leave even if you aren’t getting the opportunities you want” Jesus ****ing christ Q....

2 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Our DOF preferred Hickey and told Josh's dad that his 1st team opportunities whilst we have Hickey would be minimal.  Big fall out with the Dad who took him to Hibs and as soon as he signed for them Hickey was in the shop window.

It's actually mental what players and parents expect at such a young age.What would have been wrong to playing 2nd choice to Hickey for a year.To be honest it also sounds like our Dof ( Levein ) has been a bit too blunt to the parent.

Edited by vegas-voss

14 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Levein made some bold predictions claiming our youth policy would be the best in the country within 5 years.

I think that was about 5 years ago.............!

We were going to be challenging for the title as well , nobody said it would be the Championship again though.

While I have absolutely no knowledge of the player or what happened, I’m absolutely certain it’s bogeyman Levein’s fault. Probably Budge’s fault as well. And most likely Neilson’s fault too. *****!

Niemi’s gloves

Thanks for all the replies to my OP which was seeking some background as well as views on how good Josh Doig is/is not. (I certainly wasn’t intending to point “blame” at anybody). It sounds as if there are some similarities with how we came to sign Harry Cochrane from Rangers youth, albeit at a younger age: Harry had Billy Gilmore ahead of him in his preferred position, Doig had Aaron Hickey.

Someone mentioned that CL did offer him a full time contract. Is that enough to trigger a youth development payment to us in the unlikely event (it seems) that Hibs do succeed in getting a worthwhile fee for him?

A final thought as an older fan. Even if the lad goes on to have a successful career for Hibs,  it will take an awful lot of Josh Doigs to outweigh the most famous Hibs/Hearts steal of all time - the prising away of John Robertson from the clutches of Tom Hart. 

10 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Thanks for all the replies to my OP which was seeking some background as well as views on how good Josh Doig is/is not. (I certainly wasn’t intending to point “blame” at anybody). It sounds as if there are some similarities with how we came to sign Harry Cochrane from Rangers youth, albeit at a younger age: Harry had Billy Gilmore ahead of him in his preferred position, Doig had Aaron Hickey.

Someone mentioned that CL did offer him a full time contract. Is that enough to trigger a youth development payment to us in the unlikely event (it seems) that Hibs do succeed in getting a worthwhile fee for him?

A final thought as an older fan. Even if the lad goes on to have a successful career for Hibs,  it will take an awful lot of Josh Doigs to outweigh the most famous Hibs/Hearts steal of all time - the prising away of John Robertson from the clutches of Tom Hart. 

I think we get a development fee because we played a part in his development. That’s why we got a small amount for Jason Cummings. I might be wrong though 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Lewis Stevenson must still have nightmares about Suso. 

Still lives rent free in wee Lewys head.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

You forgot Cummings! Levein still hasn't been forgiven for him leaving in 2012 before Levein arrived...and then Hibs making best part of a million from him.

Oh aye forgot about that wee rat, what a successful career he's carved for himself, he's one move away from the Sunday amateur leagues! Another jakey striker to add to the ever growing list of junkies, rapist, racists, shoplifters and wife beaters to play up front for that shambles!

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Levein made some bold predictions claiming our youth policy would be the best in the country within 5 years.

I think that was about 5 years ago.............!

Out of interest, who does have the best youth policy in the country?

4 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Must admit he does look decent and shows plenty hunger and desire which helps a hell of a lot. Don't know what happened at us for him to end up at the darkside but he would have been a good addition to our squad. 

Every pro footballer should have hunger and desire, if they dont, they are in the wrong job.

Was Hickey part of the reason he was released? Same age both left backs. He looks a similar prospect. Might get some cash out of any move.

Just now, JackLadd said:

Was Hickey part of the reason he was released? Same age both left backs. He looks a similar prospect. Might get some cash out of any move.

Just seems a bit ****ed up that we have two promising youngsters that play in the same position and one of them has to leave. Surely that wasn’t the case. 

Mr Brightside
26 minutes ago, j1964m said:

How many ex hearts youth player have hibs taken in past years think there has been few

Loads, but nobody yet is playing at level greater than top 6 Premiership. To date none have been a loss to Hearts.

Doig seems to get subbed a lot, he gets up the pitch but his delivery isn’t great and defensively he isn’t great either. Still young and could improve but not better than Hickey or Kingsley. Hopefully Leo Watson does turn out to be a better player.

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Were 2 pages too much for you to read 😂

Edited by Rudy T

Still young but I just don't see it with him to be honest. He gets subbed just about every game for Stevenson which is telling IMO. Maybe he will go on to a decent career once he builds up some experience. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Just seems a bit ****ed up that we have two promising youngsters that play in the same position and one of them has to leave. Surely that wasn’t the case. 

Well somebody effed up. 

3 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Well somebody effed up. 

Aye maybe but in the previous page it was suggested it was because he played the same position as Hickey. I’m calling bullshit on that. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Didn't have to leave, Doig chose to leave rather than put his head own and try to prove he was better than Hickey. Says more about Doig than Hearts imho.

Also will happily predict that Doig, despite being the latest great young hope at Hibs according to some news outlets (who seem to have given up on the last great young hope - Porteous), will not go on to be anywhere near the levels of Robertson, Tierney or even Hickey.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Its seems we had 3. Doig missed out, thats football.

What is in our favour is if you don't make it here at Hearts you get a free transfer to Hibs, should help us secure the best talent.

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Didn't have to leave, Doig chose to leave rather than put his head own and try to prove he was better than Hickey. Says more about Doig than Hearts imho.

Also will happily predict that Doig, despite being the latest great young hope at Hibs according to some news outlets (who seem to have given up on the last great young hope - Porteous), will not go on to be anywhere near the levels of Robertson, Tierney or even Hickey.

Haven’t really noticed Doig in particular when I’ve been watching hibs so I’ll bow to your better judgement on whether he’ll make it or not. 

Just skimmed the last page. If it’s the case he decided to leave because Hickey was getting games ahead of him then not much the club could do I suppose. 

Edited by GinRummy

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Its seems we had 3. Doig missed out, thats football.

What is in our favour is if you don't make it here at Hearts you get a free transfer to Hibs, should help us secure the best talent.

Can you imagine the furore if we were taking hibs youth cast offs. Disnae bare thinking about 😮

Just now, GinRummy said:

Haven’t really noticed Doig in particular when I’ve been watching hibs so I’ll bow to your better judgement on whether he’ll make it or not. 

Just skimmed the last page. If it’s the case he decided to leave because Hickey was getting games ahead of him the. Not much the club could do I suppose. 

Only seen him a few times and while he's ok he's nothing special, lots gets made about how young he is playing for hibs but he was a year older breaking through at Hibs than Hickey was with us. And to be fair it's not a ringing endorsement being able to keep Stevenson out the side.

Just now, GinRummy said:

Out of interest, who does have the best youth policy in the country?

Hard to say without some research but i'd say probably Hamilton, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Like i say, not sure but they do seem to have brought through a few youngsters that have contributed to their cause these last few years. 

Just now, Ribble said:

Only seen him a few times and while he's ok he's nothing special, lots gets made about how young he is playing for hibs but he was a year older breaking through at Hibs than Hickey was with us. And to be fair it's not a ringing endorsement being able to keep Stevenson out the side.

Very true, Stevenson is cack and always will be. One wee snippet (probably not of much interest) I can offer is I know someone who knows Stevenson well and he’ll get offered a coaching role or leave the club at the end of this season. Decision is his. Shame we won’t be able to see him struggle against us next season. 

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Stevenson will be shielding waiting for his turn on over 60's vaccine.

Just now, Ribble said:

Porteous is rank. Can't even believe he's been in and about the national squad. Attack him and he collapses.

We can worry about ‘the one that got away’ if he ever actually gets away and goes to a big club for big money.

As it stands at the moment he’s an overhyped average full back playing in an average (at best) defence in an overhyped but distinctly average (at best) Hibs team, going through their annual winter transition from bang average to bang shite.

A fit Ginelly would ride him raw.

Nothing to see here, quite literally nothing. You have to ask yourself, if he was at Hearts would he be our first choice left back ?

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, GinRummy said:

Can you imagine the furore if we were taking hibs youth cast offs. Disnae bare thinking about 😮

I'd chance it with Olly Shaw from Ross County

Just now, jambonian said:

Hard to say without some research but i'd say probably Hamilton, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Like i say, not sure but they do seem to have brought through a few youngsters that have contributed to their cause these last few years. 

I thought Motherwell when this was discussed the other day. I checked their side v rangers and was amazed they had one player who started the match and had came up through the ranks. Campbell. 

obviously that doesn’t prove anything. Was just surprised. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

I thought Motherwell when this was discussed the other day. I checked their side v rangers and was amazed they had one player who started the match and had came up through the ranks. Campbell. 

obviously that doesn’t prove anything. Was just surprised. 

Yes maybe at the moment but there's a few that's left now, Cadden at Hibs springs to mind. The guy who's returned from Rangers on loan, the Celtic boy who's scored a few in recent times. I'm sure there'll be others but can't recall names at the moment without checking.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Yes maybe at the moment but there's a few that's left now, Cadden at Hibs springs to mind. The guy who's returned from Rangers on loan, the Celtic boy who's scored a few in recent times. I'm sure there'll be others but can't recall names at the moment without checking.

No need to check. I do remember them having quite a few leave for better things. 

13 minutes ago, jambonian said:

He was our cast off before he was a Hibs cast off

Just now, Ribble said:

I know but worth keeping an eye on. Some players develop later than others. Not in any way saying he's the answer but doesn't do any harm to monitor.

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Started slowly at County but now banging them in. Keeps it up and he'll make them a good fee.

Footballfirst
31 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Oli Shaw was with Hearts up to U15 before he was released. He went from Hearts to Hibs.

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Oli Shaw was with Hearts up to U15 before he was released. He went from Hearts to Hibs.

I know. I said that three posts up. Chances are his form will dip again but as strikers are hard to come by, doesn't do any harm to monitor his progress. 

26 minutes ago, sadj said:

Do you actually think we can tell

players “you are staying , you must sign a new contract” “you must not leave even if you aren’t getting the opportunities you want” Jesus ****ing christ Q....

And you're suggesting a seventeen year old Hearts fan would refuse a contract because he wasn't guaranteed a start..?

Mr Brightside
45 minutes ago, jambonian said:

He was a Hearts cast off before being a Hibs cast off.

Mr Brightside
42 minutes ago, jambonian said:

David Turnbull, Jake Hastie, Chris Cadden, Alan Campbell, James Scott are all players recently developed by Motherwell.

St Mirren have developed some decent players too as well.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Every pro footballer should have hunger and desire, if they dont, they are in the wrong job.

I’ve seen plenty over the years that don’t. Most recent Frear and Roberts spring to mind.