Fear of Flying

JamboPete

Anybody else suffer from this?

If so, what do you do to combat this, so you can still go on holiday?

Any tips appreciated.:)

I don't fear it but the best thing to do is basically think, you're in the plane, you're 35,000 feet up, there's bugger all you can do now.

I have a good bevvy. Its the only way to deal with it. Once I am up in the air I am generally OK, but any slight bump or noise from the undercarriage or whatever and I tend to get a bit nervy.

chester copperpot

I used to have a massive fear of flying.

I had to experience a crash landing once at Malaga airport 20 mins after the plane took off.

We took it in our stride, but the way I see it, air travel is the safest way of travelling, so my near death experience means I must be back of the queue for another near miss, therefor I must be the safest bassa to travel with.

I think the near miss I had meant that I cannot have another near miss, therefor I must be the safest person on the planet to travel with.

Well thats how I convince myself to get back on a plane anyway. I also once was travelling business class with the missus (she was a travel agent at the time, we're not minted) and one of the ovens that heats up the food caught fire, filling the business class cabin with smoke. Everyone was scared, except me, because I had my near death experience, so was sorted.

Doctor FinnBarr

I had to experience a crash landing once at Malaga airport 20 mins after the plane took off.

We took it in our stride, but the way I see it, air travel is the safest way of travelling, so my near death experience means I must be back of the queue for another near miss, therefor I must be the safest bassa to travel with.

I think the near miss I had meant that I cannot have another near miss, therefor I must be the safest person on the planet to travel with.

Well thats how I convince myself to get back on a plane anyway. I also once was travelling business class with the missus (she was a travel agent at the time, we're not minted) and one of the ovens that heats up the food caught fire, filling the business class cabin with smoke. Everyone was scared, except me, because I had my near death experience, so was sorted.

Fancy traveling to Belfast on Sunday?

:confused:

kinross jambo

emergency crash landings,planes going on fire.

no feckin way i would be traveling on the same plane as you.

You're more likely to get killed by a donkey that by a plane. Fact.

I dont know any donkeys that buy planes so I'm sorted. ;)

jamboinglasgow

The best way to look at it is that modern commerical planes used in holiday travel are incrediably safe and its rare to even have a forced landing not just a crash. Most major airlines which your most likely to travel on have impeciable saftey ratings. These airlines go through huge amount of checks before the planes can even leave the ground. You are very safe.

And anyway its more small private planes and poor african or south american airlines to worry about as they appear to be the only ones that crash.

chester copperpot

I wish I could make you's all safe by going to Belfast with you's but unfortunately, after 6 months of living in the Weej, I've been called up for jury duty, W/C 14th July.

Bit of a bummer, but I would not have been able to go anyway because I had started a new job, therefor wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Gutted both ways.:sad:

I'm flying to Zante in September with the missus and a couple of mates, my palms are already getting sweaty :sad:

chester copperpot
I'm flying to Zante in September with the missus and a couple of mates, my palms are already getting sweaty :sad:

2 Options.

1) Get wasted (which you prob wont do going with your missus)

2) Get some Valium prescribed by the doc, guarantee'd to work if you swallow enough.

The flight back from Malaga that I was on (after the crash landing in 2000), I was full of Valium, after the doc gave them out like sweeties.

I had a nice one at Amsterdam a few weeks ago. My plane went in to land, touched the tarmac and took off again. Apparently the controllers omitted to mention there was another plane on the runway. Interesting experience.

chester copperpot
I had a nice one at Amsterdam a few weeks ago. My plane went in to land, touched the tarmac and took off again. Apparently the controllers omitted to mention there was another plane on the runway. Interesting experience.

Awesome.

Hopefully you were too stoned to care. ;):P

rudi must stay

just imagine you're on the ground. Sometimes works, depends on the flight i suppose :rolleyes:

Generic Username

Despite everyone telling you how safe it is to fly, it still makes me fill my breeks every time I do it.

I just don't think it's natural for something that big and that heavy to be floating about in the sky.

If Rick Waller was flying about in the sky people would ask questions.

chester copperpot
Despite everyone telling you how safe it is to fly, it still makes me fill my breeks every time I do it.

I just don't think it's natural for something that big and that heavy to be floating about in the sky.

Lol, still got it Si, you've still got it. ;)

Watched a documentary a few months back and when one of the world's leading 'fear of flying' experts was asked what type of personalities suffer most he advised that control freaks constitute about 80% of serious cases.

Are you one -even mildly?

Your life is in the hands of someone that you've probably never seen, and won't during the flight.

This completely freaks those with a 'controlling' personality apparently.

I P Knightley
You're more likely to get killed by a donkey that by a plane crash. Fact.

That's an American statistic from the 1940s.

distorted by a few changes in lifestyle since then that render the stat obsolete:

1. There's much more passenger air travel since then
  2. Since women's liberation there's much less donkeyf**-ing, a major contributor to donkey-related deaths in the 1930s & '40s

So - more accidents one way, fewer the other.

The real solution is to not fly anywhere. You don't have to - you've got a beautiful Scotland on your doorstep.

jack D and coke

We just dont belong 5 miles up in the air in whats basically a tin can full of highly explosive fuel. It wouldn't ever stop me going anywhere but i like it when the wheels touch down again.. Hate coming back my holidays after plenty of bevvy, my nerves are shot to bits and the slightest noise or turbulence has me nearly keekin masel!

My uncle is a nightmare, last time he flew he took a few temazepam to knock him out for the journey. Otherwise he couldn't do it. Don't really get the whole how it stays in the air malarkey but I love flying, roll on 9 Sept and a very long flight down under.

Guest juvehearts

a few questions 1st.

have you ever flown before?

what do you feel when you think of flying?

the only thing that worries me when im on a plane is the tempature, its freezing up there & the blankets you get are not up to the job, plus the toilets in a plane,

how is 2 people ment to fit in there & not make a noise?!

Walter Bishop

I have just returned from Majorca, i was cacking it to fly but before i went i bought a book called "fear of flying" its a sort of questions and answers thing with an experienced pilot, very good and reassuring, also 10mg of diazepan and a couple of Glayva`s works a treat!!!

Depends on how you're wired. If you respond well to reasons and logic, you can overcome it by knowing that around 4.4 billion people fly every year, and only a couple of hundred don't arrive at their destination. Those are hard odds to beat.

Problem is, it's difficult to argue with fear. Because I've had to travel a lot with work, and because I've worked extensively in the travel industry, I did find that actually getting on board a plane regularly was a great remedy to my own apprehensions. Getting used to the noises, bumps and so on made each trip more comfortable. Nowadays, I don't give it a thought, and I have had a few hairy flights, but it doesn't bother me.

Tip - don't sit over the wings if you're anxious - people tend to worry when they see them moving a lot (absolutely necessary that the wings do so), or they imagine watching the engine drop off the wing. Safest place statistically is right at the back of the plane.

Bottom line - you're airline is gonna get you to where you're going, it's as safe / safer than any other mode of getting to where you're going, so sit back and enjoy it. ;)

2 Options.

1) Get wasted (which you prob wont do going with your missus)

2) Get some Valium prescribed by the doc, guarantee'd to work if you swallow enough.

The flight back from Malaga that I was on (after the crash landing in 2000), I was full of Valium, after the doc gave them out like sweeties.

Chances are I will have had a few before I get to the airport.

Flying from the Weej and will be leaving at 4am, so I'll have had a few the night before.

Also might look into some valium if it'll help, cheers.

Going to Mallorca last week my plane was hit by lighting, which was interesting. Big bang and a flash. A few folk shat themselves, but it apparently happens all the time. The stewards didn't bat an eye lid.

Tbh my view is that going in a plane crash wouldn't be that bad. It me over before you really knew what was going on. I always think that, nothing ever exciting ever happens to me so what are the odds of me being on the only commercial flight to crash in Europe in years...it's not likely.

I'm flying out again tonight/tomorrow morning though...

Tbh my view is that going in a plane crash wouldn't be that bad.

Strapped in to a chair as you burn?? Nah, that would be fine.

Strapped in to a chair as you burn?? Nah, that would be fine.

Depends on the situation really. Any sort of significant impact of the ground etc, then it'd be like stamping on a spider.

The Old Tolbooth

I would seriously worry travelling with Andy, imagine something being strong enough to haul his fat ass up the air!! :eek:

That would normally be a mission assigned to one of these!

crane2.jpg

:D

Miller Jambo 60

Drugs and Midori mate , i am the worst .

The 2 boys get a kick watching me as we take off.

The sweats.

Holding the seat in front.

Mind you i will do it not like the wife who is scared to drive.

Hate it but had to get used to it doing long haul flights over here and back.

The first couple of years i got the doc to give some temazepam, really helped and i dont need them anymore...mind you still absolutely sh8t it a t he slightest noise and cant sleep even on 18 hour flight, but hey ho at least ive stopped counting the rivets on the wing to make sure they stay the same throughout the flight(true@!!)

The Old Tolbooth
Drugs and Midori mate , i am the worst .

The 2 boys get a kick watching me as we take off.

The sweats.

Holding the seat in front.

Mind you i will do it not like the wife who is scared to drive.

Doug, I'm like that before a derby game!:confused:

scottish_chicP

I don't fly well at all and have just booked four week in Oz at christmas... should be fun. I am flying myself!

Cappuccino Kid

Try reading this -The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying by Allen Carr. It's the same guy who wrote the stop smoking books.

I know a few folk who have read the book and conquered their fear of flying. Fear of crashing ....well that's a different matter.

deesidejambo
You're more likely to get killed by a donkey that by a plane crash. Fact.

Where is this mental man-killing donkey?

Try reading this -The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying by Allen Carr. It's the same guy who wrote the stop smoking books.

I know a few folk who have read the book and conquered their fear of flying. Fear of crashing ....well that's a different matter.

Didn't he die of lung cancer!

Cappuccino Kid

He did indeed die of lung cancer but after 30 odd years of smoking a 100 a day, reaching 72 was good going.

Jambo Martin

I hate flying!

Usually have a Vodka or 6 just after the plane has taken off.

Returned from Majorca to Glasgow last Friday night with Easyjet, imagine my horror when i found out all the Vodka had been drunk by Glaswegians on the way over! :eek:

Archived