Proper stovies

Dorothy

Weakened Offender
59 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

The ex Mrs Captain Slog. just made stovies, which i thought were quite palatable and reasonably tasty. until I realised it was veggie Lorne sausage I bought from Morrisons today.

(Don't ask, ex from a long time ago, Ive slept on a couch in the living room since she decided to move back in when all the isolation stuff started last year.)

Then she made it worse, by saying that she made the future Mr husband of Ex Mrs Captain slog the same, and he put cheese and beans on them.  He's a cockney in London, but even so.

I can't wait till all the lockdown stuff is over, she's away, and @Dorothy is allowed to arrive and make me proper stovies with one of the recipies on the preceding pages.

Seriously - cheese and beans on veggie stovies?

2_RLP_MDG_060319JK_15491JPG.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Slog said:

The ex Mrs Captain Slog. just made stovies, which i thought were quite palatable and reasonably tasty. until I realised it was veggie Lorne sausage I bought from Morrisons today.

(Don't ask, ex from a long time ago, Ive slept on a couch in the living room since she decided to move back in when all the isolation stuff started last year.)

Then she made it worse, by saying that she made the future Mr husband of Ex Mrs Captain slog the same, and he put cheese and beans on them.  He's a cockney in London, but even so.

I can't wait till all the lockdown stuff is over, she's away, and @Dorothy is allowed to arrive and make me proper stovies with one of the recipies on the preceding pages.

callmyagent-s2-4.jpg?resize=800%252C533%

Byyy The Light
On 25/01/2021 at 21:51, Cade said:

Onions. 1 decent sized one per person.

Potatoes. Plenty.

Beep Dripping. More than you think is healthy, then add some more.

Left over roast beef.

Put a large, heavy-based pan on a low heat, melt the beef dripping in it.

Chop or slice the onions as you see fit. 

Cut potatoes into big chunks.  

Add onions to the pan and slowly cook them until translucent.

Chuck in the spuds.

Salt heavily.

Stir it around until everything is well coated.

Add just enough water to cover.

Stir well again.

Very gently simmer until the potatoes begin to fall apart.

In the final few minutes of cooking add the sliced or chopped left over roast beef, just to warm it through.

Serve in bowls.

🍆

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Can't you just ***** kick her and leave her lying in the street?

Starred word starts with an f and ends with a y, sorry Dave

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

On 26/01/2021 at 08:55, Governor Tarkin said:

Personal taste I suppose. Charles Macleod's stuff has a lovely flavour.

My current favourite is actually the Speyside stuff, but it doesn't contain enough fat to cook the entire fry up in.

On the plus side, the lower fat content means that you don't have to fry it as it holds together on a grill rack and doesn't just dissolve and fall through into the grill tray.

Personally, I find charles MacLeods (he was always known as Charlie barley, that's how everyone up here refers to his shop) nowhere near as good as the 2 other main butchers in town. MacLeod and macleod is 1, has a slightly more peppery taste, and my favourite, w j mcdonalds (owned by 3 brothers, I a massive jambo).

For charlie barley, I think he marketed his puddings off island better than the other 2.

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, superjack said:

Personally, I find charles MacLeods (he was always known as Charlie barley, that's how everyone up here refers to his shop) nowhere near as good as the 2 other main butchers in town. MacLeod and macleod is 1, has a slightly more peppery taste, and my favourite, w j mcdonalds (owned by 3 brothers, I a massive jambo).

For charlie barley, I think he marketed his puddings off island better than the other 2.

I got hold of some of MacLeod and MacLeod stuff when I was up in Crieff in the autumn there. It had less of an onion flavour than Charles MacLeod's but was still tasty if a bit too fatty.

I'll try and source some W J McDonalds when I get back to Scotland. 👍

It seems to be Charlie barley stuff that's ubiquitous in Edinburgh. He must've spent a fair wedge on marketing his product, but he'll have done bloody well out of it!

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I got hold of some of MacLeod and MacLeod stuff when I was up in Crieff in the autumn there. It had less of an onion flavour than Charles MacLeod's but was still tasty if a bit too fatty.

I'll try and source some W J McDonalds when I get back to Scotland. 👍

It seems to be Charlie barley stuff that's ubiquitous in Edinburgh. He must've spent a fair wedge on marketing his product, but he'll have done bloody well out of it!

His marketing started off free of charge, someone once took it onto ready steady cook and announced it as charlie barleys stornoway black pudding. Once the name was out there, he already had a head start on the others.

When I travel down to family, it is always w j Macdonald puddings I deliver. I really should hire a transit van and make a fortune.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, superjack said:

His marketing started off free of charge, someone once took it onto ready steady cook and announced it as charlie barleys stornoway black pudding. Once the name was out there, he already had a head start on the others.

When I travel down to family, it is always w j Macdonald puddings I deliver. I really should hire a transit van and make a fortune.

:D You should.

I had a mate who would do something similar.

He lived in Edinburgh but would travel up and down Scotland with work.

He knew all the best wee butchers and various shops all about the place, so would take orders in the pub for whichever specialty was served up wherever he knew was going to be.

Sadly passed away last year.

Good guy and PHM.

❤️

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:D You should.

I had a mate who would do something similar.

He lived in Edinburgh but would travel up and down Scotland with work.

He knew all the best wee butchers and various shops all about the place, so would take orders in the pub for whichever specialty was served up wherever he knew was going to be.

Sadly passed away last year.

Good guy and PHM.

❤️

Wonder if there would be a market for it. Everyone on kick back, meet me outside the main stand, non match day, and get your black puddings. Bloody hell, if the police stopped me they would think I was an Ann sunners sales rep.

18 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Can't you just ***** kick her and leave her lying in the street?

Starred word starts with an f and ends with a y, sorry Dave

You, I like you.

Think that's a very good idea, but I may be a tad biased.

22 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Sorry but I do have to ask. Why have you allowed your ex-wife to move into your house, take your bed and make you sleep on the couch for almost a year, when she's engaged to some other bloke?

giphy.gif

Yesterday I made stovies ... OK, it was corned beef hash for you purists ... but I made a change which I think might be even more offensive.

I didn't peel the tatties. :conf11:

I just scrubbed them, then chopped them up, skins an' a'.  Then I actually enjoyed them.

Do I have any hope for redemption?  :clubbed:

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yesterday I made stovies ... OK, it was corned beef hash for you purists ... but I made a change which I think might be even more offensive.

I just scrubbed them, then chopped them up, skins an' a'.  Then I actually enjoyed them.

I rarely peel tatties for any meal, I like the skins.  If I’m going old school with my stories I’ll peel them and make sure they’re the type that will crumble as they cook. 

J.T.F.Robertson
26 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Good for the auld fiber intake I'd imagine, which I'm certain is the real reason for your sloth. :whistling:

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

I rarely peel tatties for any meal, I like the skins.  If I’m going old school with my stories I’ll peel them and make sure they’re the type that will crumble as they cook. 

I never peel tatties either.  The skin is the best part.