Proper stovies

Dorothy

@Captain Sloghas educated me about Burns night, but I am unable to get a haggis for tonight. Might anyone be able to provide me with a good proper stovies recipe? I would like to be able to make it properly for him when I arrive as well.

There's other threads on Stovies, try the search thing and they'll come up.

I bloody love stovies with sausage but thatllbe wrong to some........as will EVERY recipe that will be suggested!!!!!

one pot plus slug of oil

chop up a good med sized onion and lightly fry in pot

chop one bag of Aldi salad potatoes into 1-2" pieces

layer tatties and onions

8 link sausgaes from aforememtioned store or butchers or whereever

skin and cut each sausage into six and cover potatoes (top layer)

fill pot up to about the top of the tatties but just below the sausages

add a healthy dose of sea salt and cracked pepper

cover with lid and boil/simmer for about 45 mins

keep and eye on it over last 10 mins to avoid it sticking, and stir to break down any larger chunks if you basically want a sloppier mash

(i like a mix of the slop and tattie chunks)

👍

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I bloody love stovies with sausage but thatllbe wrong to some........as will EVERY recipe that will be suggested!!!!!

Lorne sausage i hope, not like the heathens that make it with link

Actually - Artic Jambos version looks tasty

Edited by Captain Slog

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

Lorne sausage i hope, not like the heathens that make it with link

Actually - Artic Jambos version looks tasty

Link.........sorry😢

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

**** off then!

😀 Sorry, hadnt read your recipe when i originally posted - Ill get Dorothy to try that too

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

😀 Sorry, hadnt read your recipe when i originally posted - Ill get Dorothy to try that too

😀 Yahh, bit hasty sorry, thought you were actually Dot. Tbf I've never tried it with sliced sausage so perhaps I'll try that too. 👍

8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

one pot plus slug of oil

chop up a good med sized onion and lightly fry in pot

chop one bag of Aldi salad potatoes into 1-2" pieces

layer tatties and onions

8 link sausgaes from aforememtioned store or butchers or whereever

skin and cut each sausage into six and cover potatoes (top layer)

fill pot up to about the top of the tatties but just below the sausages

add a healthy dose of sea salt and cracked pepper

cover with lid and boil/simmer for about 45 mins

keep and eye on it over last 10 mins to avoid it sticking, and stir to break down any larger chunks if you basically want a sloppier mash

(i like a mix of the slop and tattie chunks)

👍

Does sound tasty, wonder if I can find the right kind of sausage, I'm guessing what we call "breakfast sausage" isn't the same, nor is Italian sausage.

Try cumberland sausage you could probably get that I'm sure (assume you're not in the UK).

Link sausage was always what our family used so tbh, no idea what it's like with other 'meats' - might find we've been missing out all these years/generations. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

Does sound tasty, wonder if I can find the right kind of sausage, I'm guessing what we call "breakfast sausage" isn't the same, nor is Italian sausage.

They have an Aldi in Detroit in Kansas, which i know you can get to.  The Aldi in Musselburgh does proper sausages, so i'm assuming they will have them

Would leftovers from Sunday lunch roast beef do?  Never ever attempted it that way.  But mmm, dripping, i haven't had chips in dripping for over twenty years, may have to get some and kill two birds with one stone

57 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Would leftovers from Sunday lunch roast beef do?  Never ever attempted it that way.  But mmm, dripping, i haven't had chips in dripping for over twenty years, may have to get some and kill two birds with one stone

How they should be done. Lamb being the best leftovers. Traditionally made with onion, potatoes, and dripping with the meat on the side. I like to get the meat in the mix when cooking to get the flavour through the spuds. 

Onions. 1 decent sized one per person.

Potatoes. Plenty.

Beep Dripping. More than you think is healthy, then add some more.

Left over roast beef.

Put a large, heavy-based pan on a low heat, melt the beef dripping in it.

Chop or slice the onions as you see fit. 

Cut potatoes into big chunks.  

Add onions to the pan and slowly cook them until translucent.

Chuck in the spuds.

Salt heavily.

Stir it around until everything is well coated.

Add just enough water to cover.

Stir well again.

Very gently simmer until the potatoes begin to fall apart.

In the final few minutes of cooking add the sliced or chopped left over roast beef, just to warm it through.

Serve in bowls.

Edited by Cade

26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

How they should be done. Lamb being the best leftovers. Traditionally made with onion, potatoes, and dripping with the meat on the side. I like to get the meat in the mix when cooking to get the flavour through the spuds. 

Lamb stovies - wow. i just have to try it now

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Try cumberland sausage you could probably get that I'm sure (assume you're not in the UK).

Link sausage was always what our family used so tbh, no idea what it's like with other 'meats' - might find we've been missing out all these years/generations. :lol:

My mum would sometimes make it with corned beef from the butchers, nane o yer canned shit. Lorne sausage is best though and it must be served with an oatcake.

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My mum would sometimes make it with corned beef from the butchers, nane o yer canned shit. Lorne sausage is best though and it must be served with an oatcake.

As I’ve said to my dear old mum many times, corned beef from the butchers is just the same but in a bigger tin. It’s no coincidence it’s rectangular. 

16 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I should try the lorne next time. Quick question though, is there enough natural fat in the lorne to affect the tatties, to give them that distinctive taste you can't get with just reguar mash? Through the winter I usually make our stovies about once every week/10 days so a change would probably be welcome, although I never get any complaints and they wolf it down - that's not because I starve them, btw.  :D

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I should try the lorne next time. Quick question though, is there enough natural fat in the lorne to affect the tatties, to give them that distinctive taste you can't get with just reguar mash? Through the winter I usually make our stovies about once every week/10 days so a change would probably be welcome, although I never get any complaints and they wolf it down - that's not because I starve them, btw.  :D

Lorne is totally full of fat, more than enough. If I’m doing a fry up I always put it in a dry pan before the other ingredients and it produces the far to fry everything else in.  

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Lorne is totally full of fat, more than enough. If I’m doing a fry up I always put it in a dry pan before the other ingredients and it produces the far to fry everything else in.  

👍 Good to know; strange as it always seems the driest of everything when about to eat the fry-up.  Must be doing something wrong!

14 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

👍 Good to know; strange as it always seems the driest of everything when about to eat the fry-up.  Must be doing something wrong!

I think it gives up its fat so easily   

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

No feckin idea, my mum made it.

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

That just made me remember a potato and corned beef dish my mum used to make, eerily close to stovies, wonder if she picked it up from someone in the know. I do really like real corned beef, canned is dog food.

10 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

That just made me remember a potato and corned beef dish my mum used to make, eerily close to stovies, wonder if she picked it up from someone in the know. I do really like real corned beef, canned is dog food.

Corned beef in the US is different from the type we get in the UK. We don’t really get the stuff you would get in a deli over there but canned stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Corned beef in the US is different from the type we get in the UK. We don’t really get the stuff you would get in a deli over there but canned stuff. 

Oh good, no one should have to experience US corned beef, I'll have to give it a go when I get there.

13 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

Oh good, no one should have to experience US corned beef, I'll have to give it a go when I get there.

Whaaat! Corned beef on rye from a good New York Jewish deli is a great thing. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Whaaat! Corned beef on rye from a good New York Jewish deli is a great thing. 

NY is a whole different story. I should say: no one should have to eat corned beef from the Midwest of US.

9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

You can never have too many stovies thread, Dawnie. 👍

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

I do this with the Stornoway black pudding.

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I do this with the Stornoway black pudding.

I've always thought that was a bit overrated, I've never thought it was any better than a decent "normal" black pudding, what have I missed?

Governor Tarkin

I've always thought that was a bit overrated, I've never thought it was any better than a decent "normal" black pudding, what have I missed?

Personal taste I suppose. Charles Macleod's stuff has a lovely flavour.

My current favourite is actually the Speyside stuff, but it doesn't contain enough fat to cook the entire fry up in.

On the plus side, the lower fat content means that you don't have to fry it as it holds together on a grill rack and doesn't just dissolve and fall through into the grill tray.

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Personal taste I suppose. Charles Macleod's stuff has a lovely flavour.

My current favourite is actually the Speyside stuff, but it doesn't contain enough fat to cook the entire fry up in.

On the plus side, the lower fat content means that you don't have to fry it as it holds together on a grill rack and doesn't just dissolve and fall through into the grill tray.

Is the Stornaway stuff just fattier then?

I've found so but thought there must have been other ingredients or something. 

I've had some from the famous Bury Market, superb stuff.

In Stuart Maconie's book Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North, he tells a story about how stool samples for cancer in the Bury area were useless as everyone eats so much black pudding from Bury Market that every sample was full of blood!!!

*edit*

Apparently black pudding is now a super food!

https://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/about-us/black-pudding-is-a-superfood/

Edited by Dawnrazor

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Is the Stornaway stuff just fattier then?

I've found so but thought there must have been other ingredients or something. 

I've had some from the famous Bury Market, superb stuff.

In Stuart Maconie's book Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North, he tells a story about how stool samples for cancer in the Bury area were useless as everyone eats so much black pudding from Bury Market that every sample was full of blood!!!

I think it's also down to the spices, etc, but it certainly is fattier than many of the others.

Also, I love a good stool sample/cancer anecdote at breakfast time. Cheers. 👍

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I think it's also down to the spices, etc, but it certainly is fattier than many of the others.

Also, I love a good stool sample/cancer anecdote at breakfast time. Cheers. 👍

🤣🤣 breakfast time was three hours ago!!!

Governor Tarkin

🤣🤣 breakfast time was three hours ago!!!

For ****ing weirdos.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

For ****ing weirdos.

Got to get out onto sites at first light this time of year👍

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Shove yer nouvelle cuisine if its no corned beef its no stovies 

That’s corn beef hash ya madman. 
Stovies must be with link sausages an all. 
Lunatics. 

highlandjambo3

I consider myself as somewhat an expert on stovies (as do all of you 😁👍).  I used to run a small events catering business and sold stovies to punters who said they were the best they had ever tasted.

This will not be graded as your granny’s original stovies but, if you make it to this (my) recipe I guarantee you will be tasting the best ever and, you won’t make it any other way.  It’s a bit of a job but well worth it.

1.  One beef joint rubbed with a dry mix of 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and salt (mix all the dry ingredients in a cup).  Bung the joint in a plastic bag, pop in fridge for a day or two.

2.  Cook the beef slowly in an oven proof dish with lid, a wee bit water in the bottom.  Slow as in 5-6 hrs at 120.

3.  Get baked potatoes rubbed with olive oil and salt.....bake as you normally would.

4.  Fry a large quantity of onions in a wee bit oil.  Add some brown sugar near the end of cooking and mix until the sugar dissolves and the onions are a wee bit sticky.

5.  Shred the beef, de skin the spuds (or not)...mix the lot together....wee bit beef stock if it’s dry.

ENJOY..........here endith the lesson.

John Gentleman
28 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I consider myself as somewhat an expert on stovies (as do all of you 😁👍).  I used to run a small events catering business and sold stovies to punters who said they were the best they had ever tasted.

This will not be graded as your granny’s original stovies but, if you make it to this (my) recipe I guarantee you will be tasting the best ever and, you won’t make it any other way.  It’s a bit of a job but well worth it.

1.  One beef joint rubbed with a dry mix of 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and salt (mix all the dry ingredients in a cup).  Bung the joint in a plastic bag, pop in fridge for a day or two.

2.  Cook the beef slowly in an oven proof dish with lid, a wee bit water in the bottom.  Slow as in 5-6 hrs at 120.

3.  Get baked potatoes rubbed with olive oil and salt.....bake as you normally would.

4.  Fry a large quantity of onions in a wee bit oil.  Add some brown sugar near the end of cooking and mix until the sugar dissolves and the onions are a wee bit sticky.

5.  Shred the beef, de skin the spuds (or not)...mix the lot together....wee bit beef stock if it’s dry.

ENJOY..........here endith the lesson.

Is there enough fat in the beef to compensate for the absence of dripping in the recipe? Any time I've tried 'stovies' sans the dripping they've been shite.

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Is there enough fat in the beef to compensate for the absence of dripping in the recipe? Any time I've tried 'stovies' sans the dripping they've been shite.

When in the oven, the water in the base of the pan along with the meat juices (with the rub flavouring) is more than enough to add flavour to the stovies.

7 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats the recipe, with loads of lea and perrins sauce.

I’ve never tried he old L & P before, Harry.

Soinds an interesting twist.  👍

• 4 weeks later...

The ex Mrs Captain Slog. just made stovies, which i thought were quite palatable and reasonably tasty. until I realised it was veggie Lorne sausage I bought from Morrisons today.

(Don't ask, ex from a long time ago, Ive slept on a couch in the living room since she decided to move back in when all the isolation stuff started last year.)

Then she made it worse, by saying that she made the future Mr husband of Ex Mrs Captain slog the same, and he put cheese and beans on them.  He's a cockney in London, but even so.

I can't wait till all the lockdown stuff is over, she's away, and @Dorothy is allowed to arrive and make me proper stovies with one of the recipies on the preceding pages.

Seriously - cheese and beans on veggie stovies?

Edited by Captain Slog