New law being passed through European Union

Praha06

Does anyone know anything about this:

If you live in Europe, you should be really concerned right about now. A small group of MEPs are trying to sneak in a law that could punish you even if you're innocent. When it goes through, if anyone in your household has been determined to be file-sharing by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) three times, they'll blacklist your IP for life!

There's less than one day to stop this from being passed. It was slipped in right before the legislators broke for the summer, hidden within a huge package of telecom legislation, so most of them won't even get a chance to read it before they vote! Hugh Hancock, Johnnie Ingram, and Matt Kelland decided to do something about it by creating a machinima to warn everyone. If you would like to know more about what's going on, check out the Strange Company website, where they outline what you can do to help.

Hmm the ISPs will like that, no fecker will be left to use their service.

Aye, a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas!

The TV and Movie industries are dying on their arse, we all know the type who have their fingers in those 2 pies, is this the first step to bail them out? Would just go to show how loud money speaks in our so called 'democracy'.

The TV and Movie industries are dying on their arse, we all know the type who have their fingers in those 2 pies, is this the first step to bail them out? Would just go to show how loud money speaks in our so called 'democracy'.

Aye but as you say, with the ISPs extremely unlikely to endorse such a move, this amounts to nothing more than scare tactics. Of course, the ISPs could be clever and make more money out of this. :rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow
Canada has great privacy laws, get it routed through there.

every day I am more and more tempted to move to Canada, just need to pick the right time.

scott_jambo
Does anyone know anything about this:

If you live in Europe, you should be really concerned right about now. A small group of MEPs are trying to sneak in a law that could punish you even if you're innocent. When it goes through, if anyone in your household has been determined to be file-sharing by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) three times, they'll blacklist your IP for life!

There's less than one day to stop this from being passed. It was slipped in right before the legislators broke for the summer, hidden within a huge package of telecom legislation, so most of them won't even get a chance to read it before they vote! Hugh Hancock, Johnnie Ingram, and Matt Kelland decided to do something about it by creating a machinima to warn everyone. If you would like to know more about what's going on, check out the Strange Company website, where they outline what you can do to help.

MEP's do not have policy making powers and neither does the whole of the European Parliament.

The Old Tolbooth

I take it by file sharing they mean downloading illegal music for free, and using sites like bear share and limewire etc?

If so how can they detect your using such sites?

Guest juvehearts

Even if they're complitating this Ireland would have to vote to accept this law, as they have to vote on anything that passes thru the EU.

besides IF and its a big IF that was the case then it would be front page news of every media source going as they use the internet to protocal everything.

think its a load of bull IMO & even if their is a glimmer of chance that it IS where is the document to prove that it is?

and file sharing if this is what is ment bu this, surley this is the end of messenger as we speak. example msn's sharing folders?!

As far as Im aware Virgin media has already adopted this policy. What im unclear on is whether this will include torrents as well as the likes of Limewire.

Sheriff Fatman
Even if they're complitating this Ireland would have to vote to accept this law, as they have to vote on anything that passes thru the EU.

No they don't. They have to vote on anything that changes their written constitution, this doesn't.

This is the same as a person allowing illegal activities to take place on their property and getting fined. It happens for many other offences, so why not for illegal downloads.

chester copperpot
No they don't. They have to vote on anything that changes their written constitution, this doesn't.

This is the same as a person allowing illegal activities to take place on their property and getting fined. It happens for many other offences, so why not for illegal downloads.

Boooooo! ;)

bigbadbill

According to a Computeractive magazine, the French already have a three strikes and you're out law which "bars internet access to anyone who persists in illegally downloading music or films." Everybody is trying for a voluntary agreement, but despair of it ever working.

On the same Computeractive page there is a report from Hertfordshire Uni which claims that two-thirds of young people surveyed illegally download, on average, 53 songs per month.

I think if they were to ever enforce such measures, there would hardly be anyone left to access the net.

Incompetnce

Use proxies ^^

It's not too hard to get them set up and they're a pain to track.

Use proxies ^^

It's not too hard to get them set up and they're a pain to track.

How does SSL encryption fit into that? Similar idea or am I way off? :cool:

Homer_Salvatori

a proxy server receives a request from a user and submits it to the end server, returning the results to the client user via proxy. Its a middleman handover which you could configure to get around this issue. SSL is basically the encryption of packets of data accross the internet, for instance when you are doing online banking etc, it wouldnt really help in the context being discussed as the site still takes a note of the IP.

Virgin media has already initiated a 3 strikes and your out policy. They have started screening adverts on TV about this. The b&^%$%ds that they are.

Guest S.U.S.S.
every day I am more and more tempted to move to Canada, just need to pick the right time.

Rather drastic when you can just route the download through Canada.

Professor.Arturo
Rather drastic when you can just route the download through Canada.

That would be the same Canadian authorities that shut down Demonoid the first time?

The same Canada who is gunning for both The Pirate Bay and MiniNova?

According to the TorrentFreak news site, Canada is now even more risky than the USA to set up a torrent or file sharing website.

So Torrent users and P2P users, such as Limewire, Bearshare etc are obviously being targeted here, how about Usenet? Are usenet users at risk of incrimination through all this?

How do they know if it's illegal or not?

It's impossible to tell the difference between, say 4 on demand(legal) and limewire(illegal).

I think Virgin have done this purely to appease the music industry. I wouldn't get worried.

Guest S.U.S.S.
How do they know if it's illegal or not?

It's impossible to tell the difference between, say 4 on demand(legal) and limewire(illegal).

I think Virgin have done this purely to appease the music industry. I wouldn't get worried.

They can tell where the packets are sent from. But as you say i wouldnt worry, not unless you are doing A LOT of downloading, i d/l shed loads and have never had a letter.

They dont want to catch you, as you wont pay them if you cant d/l.

Jam Tarts 1874

The whole file-sharing debate will get much more interesting depending on the outcome of this spat between Google (YouTube) and Viacom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7488009.stm

At the end of the day, stealing is stealing in my opinion, regardless of the source or which medium someone is using to do the stealing. I go to the shops and pay for my CD's and DVD's, I know this may seem old fashioned, but it's just how I was brought up.

1966 was avery good year.;)

jamboinglasgow
1966 was avery good year.;)

had the idea of moving there for the last six years (and I am only 21) just seems a nice place with a good health service and the good bits of USA without much of the bad. However dont feel like moving in next 5 years but will have to go on holiday there first. Also having been to Australia twice I am warming to the idea of moving there.

Thats not to say I dont love Scotland, I love it but like some other countries as well.

Guest S.U.S.S.
That would be the same Canadian authorities that shut down Demonoid the first time?

The same Canada who is gunning for both The Pirate Bay and MiniNova?

According to the TorrentFreak news site, Canada is now even more risky than the USA to set up a torrent or file sharing website.

Im talking about personal privacy laws in place in Canada, they are very strict so routing your d/l through their servers means they wont shop you easily.

Archived