Ferranti Apprentices

At Robby Ave training centre we used to go upstairs to a hall for breaks, did that have a bar in it? I think there was a separate canteen. I remember the boozer that went out onto Stewart Terrace, was that the Ferranti club?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• Konrad von Carstein

• Les Izemore

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, smiler said:

Does anyone remember the gadge who went to work in a leather miniskirt, fishnets, a big ginger wig and worked in the drawing office in the South Gyle pagoda building? Cani remember their female name.

Being young and not giving a toss we would wander past and giggle like bairns. After a while we got a bollocking and told to stay away.

Lawrence Hardie. who became Laura.

Worked in my drawing office at the Gyle then switched to the other in the new build.

It was a real head **** at the time  when you the know the person. I nice dead quiet guy and became a flamboyant vamp.

Coincidentally, someone at the Gyle won £1/4m on the pools on the same day, got all his glory stolen from him.

47 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Lawrence Hardie. who became Laura.

Worked in my drawing office at the Gyle then switched to the other in the new build.

It was a real head **** at the time  when you the know the person. I nice dead quiet guy and became a flamboyant vamp.

Coincidentally, someone at the Gyle won £1/4m on the pools on the same day, got all his glory stolen from him.

Ah that's it Tommy, I was going to say Marilyn for some reason. 

You likely crossed paths with one of my uncles, I'm sure he was in there around the time Lawrence became Laura. 

7 hours ago, smiler said:

At Robby Ave training centre we used to go upstairs to a hall for breaks, did that have a bar in it? I think there was a separate canteen. I remember the boozer that went out onto Stewart Terrace, was that the Ferranti club?

That hall was a function suite and was part of the Ferranti Recreation Club, right next door to the canteen. Downstairs from that hall was another lounge and the games room. You could access the downstairs bit from the Stewart Terrace car park.

Edited by graygo

Admin Just a thought, and no disrespect intended to other posters, but it may be a good idea to remove people's names from some recent posts to preserve their privacy?