Ferranti Apprentices

smiler

At Robby Ave training centre we used to go upstairs to a hall for breaks, did that have a bar in it? I think there was a separate canteen. I remember the boozer that went out onto Stewart Terrace, was that the Ferranti club?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• Konrad von Carstein

• Les Izemore

• graygo

4 hours ago, smiler said:

Does anyone remember the gadge who went to work in a leather miniskirt, fishnets, a big ginger wig and worked in the drawing office in the South Gyle pagoda building? Cani remember their female name.

Being young and not giving a toss we would wander past and giggle like bairns. After a while we got a bollocking and told to stay away.

Lawrence Hardie. who became Laura.

Worked in my drawing office at the Gyle then switched to the other in the new build.

It was a real head **** at the time  when you the know the person. I nice dead quiet guy and became a flamboyant vamp.

Coincidentally, someone at the Gyle won £1/4m on the pools on the same day, got all his glory stolen from him.

47 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Lawrence Hardie. who became Laura.

Worked in my drawing office at the Gyle then switched to the other in the new build.

It was a real head **** at the time  when you the know the person. I nice dead quiet guy and became a flamboyant vamp.

Coincidentally, someone at the Gyle won £1/4m on the pools on the same day, got all his glory stolen from him.

Ah that's it Tommy, I was going to say Marilyn for some reason. 

You likely crossed paths with one of my uncles, I'm sure he was in there around the time Lawrence became Laura. 

7 hours ago, smiler said:

At Robby Ave training centre we used to go upstairs to a hall for breaks, did that have a bar in it? I think there was a separate canteen. I remember the boozer that went out onto Stewart Terrace, was that the Ferranti club?

That hall was a function suite and was part of the Ferranti Recreation Club, right next door to the canteen. Downstairs from that hall was another lounge and the games room. You could access the downstairs bit from the Stewart Terrace car park.

Edited by graygo

Admin Just a thought, and no disrespect intended to other posters, but it may be a good idea to remove people's names from some recent posts to preserve their privacy?

• 1 year later...

Think I'm a bit late in finding this site but can anyone help please?

I'd like to know in which month I started as an apprenice with Ferranti (Edinburgh) Ltd in 1954.

Contemporaries were Eric Brydon, Joe Connoly and "Spud" Murphy, Cooper Street School supervisor was a Mr, Agar and the mech instuctor was Archie Maclean. "Bunny" Robertson was the first electrics instructor folloew by the mildly eccentric Martin Cluttonbrock who eventually went to the Standrds Lab at Crewe Toll. Third, fourth and fifth year of our apprenticeships were concludud at Crewe Toll.I'm really grateful for the standard of teaching I recieved.

Anybody listening ?

Don Anderson   GM0BFT

I'd like to know in which month I started as an apprenice with Ferranti (Edinburgh) Ltd in 1954.

Contemporaries were Eric Brydon, Joe Connoly and "Spud" Murphy, Cooper Street School supervisor was a Mr, Agar and the mech instuctor was Archie Maclean. "Bunny" Robertson was the first electrics instructor folloew by the mildly eccentric Martin Cluttonbrock who eventually went to the Standrds Lab at Crewe Toll. Third, fourth and fifth year of our apprenticeships were concludud at Crewe Toll.I'm really grateful for the standard of teaching I recieved.

Anybody listening ?

Don Anderson   GM0BFT

Anybody listening ?

Don Anderson   GM0BFT

Anybody listening ?

Don Anderson   GM0BFT

Anybody listening ?

Don Anderson   GM0BFT

• 4 months later...
On 14/01/2021 at 23:12, Kev1998 said:

The only jambo I can remember who I worked with were Alec  and mo can't wind if stash was a jambo or no(the man who taught me to touch on wi a rizzla paper instead of a wobbler.and it served me well for 30 years ha ha

@Kev1998. I used to have a mate called Karl Stachow (Stash to his his pals) who worked at Ferranti in the early 70's. He stayed at Clermiston then. We were good pals but sort of drifted apart. I often wondered what happened to him but internet searches brought out nothing. He introduced me to Capstan Full strength fags and we had some great times together as daft young laddies. If this is the same guy you knew would be great to know what happened to him. Cheers 

Edited by stuart500

2 hours ago, stuart500 said:

@Kev1998. I used to have a mate called Karl Stachow (Stash to his his pals) who worked at Ferranti in the early 70's. He stayed at Clermiston then. We were good pals but sort of drifted apart. I often wondered what happened to him but internet searches brought out nothing. He introduced me to Capstan Full strength fags and we had some great times together as daft young laddies. If this is the same guy you knew would be great to know what happened to him. Cheers 

He is Still there 

7 hours ago, samgolden said:

He is Still there 

Cheers for that.

I did notice there was further mention of him later in the thread. I realised I was spelling his first name wrongly. Everybody just always called him Stash.

Good to know he's still alive and kicking.

Shanks said no

The 1952 version, somewhere between 52 and 65 will be one including my old man, probably around 57. There is a chance my dads uncle Les is in this one.

ferranti_apprentices_1952.jpg

6 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

Photo taken in 1965, still haven't seen the 1981 photo!

ferranti_apprentices_1963.jpg

Old John Farquarson, the guy John's right was an instructor too. Cannot remember his name, though.

Would love to see 79

Shanks said no
59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Old John Farquarson, the guy John's right was an instructor too. Cannot remember his name, though.

Would love to see 79

These are labelled as 1969 and 1970, will try again tonight to find other years

ferranti_apprentices_1969.jpg

ferranti_apprentices_1970.jpg

2 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

These are labelled as 1969 and 1970, will try again tonight to find other years

ferranti_apprentices_1969.jpg

ferranti_apprentices_1970.jpg

great stuff mate, where are you finding them?

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

great stuff mate, where are you finding them?

Just searches, twitter and Edinburgh collections. Need to try facebook but I'm not great on that so may need Mrs help

On 15/01/2021 at 11:14, smiler said:

Another name's popped up, I worked for Archie McQuater at, I think, Silverknowes. Nice old fella. 

Worked with Archie for years in the Space Group Silverknowes .. he was also a recognised watch maker guru

6 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

Just searches, twitter and Edinburgh collections. Need to try facebook but I'm not great on that so may need Mrs help

I joined a Facebook group Ferranti Apprentices 1970. 

Got this photo.

Screenshot_20220926_181625.jpg

Shanks said no

No photo description available.

It might be my old man 2nd row 2nd from right as the bloke is the spitting image of me at that age!

Edited by Shanks said no

Shanks said no

May be an image of 6 people, people sitting, people standing, tree and outdoors

supposedly Ferranti factory apprentices from Edinburgh Scotland at a summer camp 77, they went to the Trossachs in Scottish Highlands , Mr Blaikie was the organiser

On 25/09/2022 at 22:49, Shanks said no said:

Photo taken in 1965, still haven't seen the 1981 photo!

ferranti_apprentices_1963.jpg

Probably said it already but I'll also be in the 1981 photo.

On 26/09/2022 at 05:50, Tommy Brown said:

Would love to see 79

Maybe Mr Graham the fitting instructor.

• 1 year later...