Jump to content

Ferranti Apprentices


Recommended Posts

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

I joined in 1984 as a Mech Techie and left in 2016. 
 

I worked at all the sites mentioned above and others besides. Bellesk House anyone?

 

The OP asked about the apprentice photos. When Robbie Ave closed (90/91?) they fell into the possession of an old timer at South Gyle, I’ve no idea why. He stuck them all in a filing cabinet and forgot about them, until folk heard he had possession of them and started asking for copies. Well, old Jimmy duly obliged, at a fiver a pop. 
 

I think I’ve still got mine somewhere. 
 

I was the only apprentice going back to the first photos in the early 1950s (I think) that was photographed wearing skin tight cammo breeks tucked into 12” docs. For some reason I was quite chuffed at that. 

 

I'd like the photo of my intake, just for memories...sadly won't happen

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • smiler

    24

  • Konrad von Carstein

    19

  • Les Izemore

    18

  • graygo

    13

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Done a couple of stints in environmental test.davy Nelson was a great gaffer even though he was a hobby.reg Kingman was a good jambo though.used to get some great laughs wi Harry and Ricky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
On 13/01/2021 at 13:42, Konrad von Carstein said:

 

Bob Farquarson

??? Paton (I think) craft apprentices were in the area off the main workshop used by Tech apprentices - grump twat but ended up being a decent bloke (just as we were completing out training year)

 

Then my mind goes blank with names...

 

The Polish named instructor was OK with us

There was one who resembled a thin gangly Eric Morcambe - school teacherly fud

Young guy was the drawing instructor - he was sound

Norrie was a torn faced arse :lol: 

The rest have faded with time :( 

 

Ian Farquhason - turning. 
 

Jim Paton - fitting. 
 

Ricky Kilanowski - milling. 
 

Eric Morcombe lookalike - Graham Kennedy - fitting. 
 

Deawing Office - Neil McFarlane. 
 

Norrie - stores - a right grumpy twat that we robbed blind at every opportunity. 
 

Office - Mr McLean. 
 

Mr McLean’s secretary - Eileen (yes I did).

Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyjambo

Joined Aug 79 craft mechanical, left in 1990

Remember Jim Paton

Bob Paul

Ricky Kalinoski, had a brother Tony who also worked in Ferranti 

Kennedy

Farquenson

Norrie the storeman

Worked at the old royal infirmary for a week in the maintenance dept, not sure what this was for, but seem to remember all apprentices going elsewhere to work for a week, sure it was around Christmas time.

worked in Robbie ave, Silverknowes, Crewe Toll

Day release at Esk Valley college in Dalkeith.

Still got my toolbox (painted blue)and tools that I made, still use them.

Great days, great company to work for, really enjoyed my time there.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
7 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Done a couple of stints in environmental test.davy Nelson was a great gaffer even though he was a hobby.reg Kingman was a good jambo though.used to get some great laughs wi Harry and Ricky.

Aye, Davy was a great guy...respected him a lot...Reg was a bit of an arse but harmless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

Joined Aug 79 craft mechanical, left in 1990

Remember Jim Paton

Bob Paul

Ricky Kalinoski, had a brother Tony who also worked in Ferranti 

Kennedy

Farquenson

Norrie the storeman

Worked at the old royal infirmary for a week in the maintenance dept, not sure what this was for, but seem to remember all apprentices going elsewhere to work for a week, sure it was around Christmas time.

worked in Robbie ave, Silverknowes, Crewe Toll

Day release at Esk Valley college in Dalkeith.

Still got my toolbox (painted blue)and tools that I made, still use them.

Great days, great company to work for, really enjoyed my time there.

 

 

 

Did a week at Xmas time at the RIE with the porters...great times!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joined 76.left 1990.environmental.tool room sheetmetal dept.machine workshop..pcb dept  ended up in displays dept.but you are all right.great place to work

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
14 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Done a couple of stints in environmental test.davy Nelson was a great gaffer even though he was a hobby.reg Kingman was a good jambo though.used to get some great laughs wi Harry and Ricky.

Davy Nelson was indeed one of the good guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

 

Did a week at Xmas time at the RIE with the porters...great times!

That was their policy back then. 
 

All 1st year apprentices were sent out to help in local hospitals and care homes for the 2 weeks leading up to the Xmas break. 
 

I got washing dishes in the Western General for 2 weeks and hated every second. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Davy Nelson was indeed one of the good guys. 

 He was really into squash and played at Marco's, I think, got almost all the workshop into it at one point  - I loved it but was hopeless!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only jambo I can remember who I worked with were Alec  and mo can't wind if stash was a jambo or no(the man who taught me to touch on wi a rizzla paper instead of a wobbler.and it served me well for 30 years ha ha

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

 

The OP asked about the apprentice photos. When Robbie Ave closed (90/91?) they fell into the possession of an old timer at South Gyle, I’ve no idea why. He stuck them all in a filing cabinet and forgot about them, until folk heard he had possession of them and started asking for copies. Well, old Jimmy duly obliged, at a fiver a pop. 
 

Is this guy still on the go mate? 

I didn't have high hopes as I'd said but I'd hoped someone got hold of them. 

Great to hear all the stories though 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Maybe Morgan is an Ooompa Loompa so anyone above 3 foot is tall? 🤔

 

Morgan doesn't need the fake tan anymore, not now he's strutting about the French Riviera with his budgie smugglers on 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites

A school friends dad worked at Crewe Toll pretty high up in the development and design side of things making what I imagine was a pretty good wage in those days. Then they told him they were shifting him to some sort of weapons development programme. He explained that as a Jehovah’s Witness he couldn’t be involved in that so he resigned as they wouldn’t budge. He ended up training as a domestic appliance repairman for normal wages. I was impressed with his principles at the time but looking back maybe Ferrari wasn’t the wisest choice of employer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
3 minutes ago, smiler said:

Is this guy still on the go mate? 

I didn't have high hopes as I'd said but I'd hoped someone got hold of them. 

Great to hear all the stories though 👍

Sorry but he’d be in the record books as the oldest guy alive. 
 

What year did you start and what as, Mech, Elec, Technician or Craft. 
 

I still know loads of folk there and you never know. Long shot I know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Les Izemore said:

Sorry but he’d be in the record books as the oldest guy alive. 
 

What year did you start and what as, Mech, Elec, Technician or Craft. 
 

I still know loads of folk there and you never know. Long shot I know. 

I kind of thought he might be a fair age right enough 😀

87 start, Mech Tech, appreciate any help 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
1 minute ago, smiler said:

I kind of thought he might be a fair age right enough 😀

87 start, Mech Tech, appreciate any help 👍

87 is 3 years after me so I know a few folk from around then. I’ll ask and get back to you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Les Izemore said:

87 is 3 years after me so I know a few folk from around then. I’ll ask and get back to you. 

Cheers ma man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A school friends dad worked at Crewe Toll pretty high up in the development and design side of things making what I imagine was a pretty good wage in those days. Then they told him they were shifting him to some sort of weapons development programme. He explained that as a Jehovah’s Witness he couldn’t be involved in that so he resigned as they wouldn’t budge. He ended up training as a domestic appliance repairman for normal wages. I was impressed with his principles at the time but looking back maybe Ferrari wasn’t the wisest choice of employer. 


The guys name wasn’t Clive or Michael was it? I knew these 2 guys left for those very reasons but it always puzzled me as their order book was almost 100% military equipment, going right back to the gyro gun sight that made them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:


The guys name wasn’t Clive or Michael was it? I knew these 2 guys left for those very reasons but it always puzzled me as their order book was almost 100% military equipment, going right back to the gyro gun sight that made them. 

Nah, Jimmy. There were a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses around where I lived that were all very friendly, possibly there’s a Ferranti link between them. Certainly loads of people where I lived were either Ferranti, Bruce Peebles, or the Wireworks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

The only jambo I can remember who I worked with were Alec  and mo can't wind if stash was a jambo or no(the man who taught me to touch on wi a rizzla paper instead of a wobbler.and it served me well for 30 years ha ha

 

Stash (Karol Stachow) was the most skillful machinist I ever met...Alec can't mind his 2nd name think he ended up as an airport taxi driver, during my time there there was Davie Oliver (RIP) Lindsay Neary , Homer (really) the Refrigeration guy, Duncan McKenzie the band saw operator, replaced by Bob Baxter (RIP), Ian Gray , not all jambos but names kept popping into my head...

 

Stuart Wilson, sax player...

Edited by Konrad von Carstein
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did any of you get placed out at the original South Gyle building with Paul Thomson, Hibs casual guy, from Clermiston?

I never but I know a few that did, wasn't a pleasant placement. 

He was alright with me as we'd both drink in the Westbury but he'd glue your lunch to the ceiling, dye your hair, that kind of shit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nah, Jimmy. There were a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses around where I lived that were all very friendly, possibly there’s a Ferranti link between them. Certainly loads of people where I lived were either Ferranti, Bruce Peebles, or the Wireworks. 

Crikey, my old man was BP from the age of 15 to 60. 
 

He used to tell me about the guys that floated between all 3 employers regularly, whichever place had agreed the largest yearly wage increase. 
 

Full employment and a very different time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
2 minutes ago, smiler said:

Did any of you get placed out at the original South Gyle building with Paul Thomson, Hibs casual guy, from Clermiston?

I never but I know a few that did, wasn't a pleasant placement. 

He was alright with me as we'd both drink in the Westbury but he'd glue your lunch to the ceiling, dye your hair, that kind of shit. 

I didn’t know Paul but I did know and work with 2 Hibs ‘top boys’ from back then. 1 was a right piece of work and is dead now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nah, Jimmy. There were a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses around where I lived that were all very friendly, possibly there’s a Ferranti link between them. Certainly loads of people where I lived were either Ferranti, Bruce Peebles, or the Wireworks. 

Did they become Parsons Peebles or am I miles off? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
Just now, smiler said:

Did they become Parsons Peebles or am I miles off? 

Parsons Peebles, then after the fire they became VA Tech, which was the company I left "Ferranti" to join...brand new facility down Leith Docks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, smiler said:

Did they become Parsons Peebles or am I miles off? 

That’s me showing my age there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Parsons Peebles, then after the fire they became VA Tech, which was the company I left "Ferranti" to join...brand new facility down Leith Docks...

And Austrian owned. My old man still worked for them then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

I didn’t know Paul but I did know and work with 2 Hibs ‘top boys’ from back then. 1 was a right piece of work and is dead now. 

Some names are coming back to me now

Jimmy Grant Crewe Toll

Frank Farmer Silverknowes 

Steve Pennycook Silverknowes

Tommy Thomson Silverknowes 

John Allan South Gyle

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
1 minute ago, smiler said:

Some names are coming back to me now

Jimmy Grant Crewe Toll

Frank Farmer Silverknowes 

Steve Pennycook Silverknowes

Tommy Thomson Silverknowes 

John Allan South Gyle

I knew Frank and Tommy and worked with both. 
 

You know Frank was a big football guy and was on Hearts books at one point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

I knew Frank and Tommy and worked with both. 
 

You know Frank was a big football guy and was on Hearts books at one point?

Aye I worked in his department, he was struggling at the time, used to sit with his head in his hands for ages, depression sadly. I used to fall asleep at my desk in there on a Friday as Thursday nights were the start of our drinking weekend. 

It's also the same department where a boy from Leith worked, he had a stash of porn mags in his drawer and went to crack one of every lunchtime, was blatant as **** about it too. 

Tommy tried to get me sacked, but that's another story. 

Edited by smiler
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Crikey, my old man was BP from the age of 15 to 60. 
 

He used to tell me about the guys that floated between all 3 employers regularly, whichever place had agreed the largest yearly wage increase. 
 

Full employment and a very different time. 

Sometimes I wonder where all the people went. As well as those you had the likes of Brown Brothers and Robb’s. I worked in LRT at Shrubhill when I was a youngster and there were hundreds of skilled workers there as well. And that’s just North Edinburgh. Unemployment didn’t seem to be a thing until the 80’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sometimes I wonder where all the people went. As well as those you had the likes of Brown Brothers and Robb’s. I worked in LRT at Shrubhill when I was a youngster and there were hundreds of skilled workers there as well. And that’s just North Edinburgh. Unemployment didn’t seem to be a thing until the 80’s. 

I’d agree with all of that. 
 

‘Job for life’, aye right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Les Izemore said:

I’d agree with all of that. 
 

‘Job for life’, aye right. 

People knew the game was up the pole at LRT right after privatisation when most of the apprentices that year were laid off as soon as they were time served and qualified. A lot of guys would have struggled to get work as it was all so specialised with loads of different departments for each part of the job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
9 minutes ago, smiler said:

Aye I worked in his department, he was struggling at the time, used to sit with his head in his hands for ages, depression sadly. I used to fall asleep at my desk in there on a Friday as Thursday nights were the start of our drinking weekend. 

It's also the same department where a boy from Leith worked, he had a stash of porn mags in his drawer and went to crack one of every lunchtime, was blatant as **** about it too. 

Tommy tried to get me sacked, but that's another story. 

You didn’t work with Frank in the early 90s did you? I sadly recognise your description as I was the also. 
 

Anyway, get your laughing gear around this. 1984 Mechanical Apprentice intake, Ferranti, Robbie Ave. I’m in there. 
 

 

23C21C93-E6BF-4B07-8A4E-A62CA25CAF08.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2021 at 13:47, Rodge said:

 

Some of those names are a blast from the past! I started at Robbie Ave in 1988.  😄

Was the milling instructor Kilanowski? Ricky maybe?

When I was there Norrie the storeman used to scowl when you needed something like a new drill bit 😄 it's as if he was paying for the stock out of his own pocket! 😄

Ferranti's was great. My father in law was there for 50 years 

 

Started 88 as well, mech craft, left after a year. Hated it. Wasn't cut out for the factory environment. Used to walk passed zombies in the corridor with their presented watches and think, "please God, no"

 

Remember Kennedy. Great guy, probably being Hearts helped the relationship...just a bit!. During that time our derby dominance was at its peak. All through secondary school and into work life with barely a blow landed by that lot. Remember going in to work after a midweek defeat. We'd not long had 17 in a row and I'll never forget Kennedy saying to me he didn't think the dominance would last now. He thought victories and league positions would be shared between us. Remember feeling so deflated and couldn't really comprehend what he was telling me. I don't think after that day we were beaten again for another 22 😂. Always wished I could've bumped into him and told him how wrong he was. He'd have been delighted of course!

 

The miller, Rab Shand I think as someone mentioned earlier was another good guy, Was he the one with the long permed blonde barnet? Bit if a twitcher if memory serves me right 🤔 Great guy anyway!

 

Surprised no one has mentioned the fitter, Willie Dickie, or Bill. He was a nob! Or is he a figment of my imagination? 🤔

 

Nice wee trip down memory lane though. Cheers lads 👍🏻

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
2 minutes ago, JyTees said:

 

Started 88 as well, mech craft, left after a year. Hated it. Wasn't cut out for the factory environment. Used to walk passed zombies in the corridor with their presented watches and think, "please God, no"

 

Remember Kennedy. Great guy, probably being Hearts helped the relationship...just a bit!. During that time our derby dominance was at its peak. All through secondary school and into work life with barely a blow landed by that lot. Remember going in to work after a midweek defeat. We'd not long had 17 in a row and I'll never forget Kennedy saying to me he didn't think the dominance would last now. He thought victories and league positions would be shared between us. Remember feeling so deflated and couldn't really comprehend what he was telling me. I don't think after that day we were beaten again for another 22 😂. Always wished I could've bumped into him and told him how wrong he was. He'd have been delighted of course!

 

The miller, Rab Shand I think as someone mentioned earlier was another good guy, Was he the one with the long permed blonde barnet? Bit if a twitcher if memory serves me right 🤔 Great guy anyway!

 

Surprised no one has mentioned the fitter, Willie Dickie, or Bill. He was a nob! Or is he a figment of my imagination? 🤔

 

Nice wee trip down memory lane though. Cheers lads 👍🏻

 

 

Aye, Rab Shand was sound, despite looking like Joey Tempest. 
 

I recognise the name Bill Dickie also, and if it’s who I’m thinking of then aye, he was a proper xxxx. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Les Izemore said:

Aye, Rab Shand was sound, despite looking like Joey Tempest. 
 

I recognise the name Bill Dickie also, and if it’s who I’m thinking of then aye, he was a proper xxxx. 

 

Just had to Google Joey Tempest. That is indeed Rab Shand! 😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

You didn’t work with Frank in the early 90s did you? I sadly recognise your description as I was the also. 
 

Anyway, get your laughing gear around this. 1984 Mechanical Apprentice intake, Ferranti, Robbie Ave. I’m in there. 
 

 

23C21C93-E6BF-4B07-8A4E-A62CA25CAF08.jpeg

I'd need to dig out all my Ferranti stuff mate, I can remember where I was placed but not timescales. 

That's superb you've got that photo, we just need the same for 3 years later 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore
38 minutes ago, smiler said:

I'd need to dig out all my Ferranti stuff mate, I can remember where I was placed but not timescales. 

That's superb you've got that photo, we just need the same for 3 years later 😀

I’ll try mate. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a lot of good players in ferranti in the old days.frannie farmer as you mentioned  was indeed on hearts books.but there were so many more.big Smirnoff , Kevin o'neil(poser).Brian cardigan,Donny woodmore.bungay.big hunter summers etc.the interdepartmental fitba tournament was good.very competitive.we reached the final at Ollie bank once and were manager by no other than billy brown(who worked I the displays dept before leaving to take the Berwick job with him Jefferies.aye good times

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
10 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

That was their policy back then. 
 

All 1st year apprentices were sent out to help in local hospitals and care homes for the 2 weeks leading up to the Xmas break. 
 

I got washing dishes in the Western General for 2 weeks and hated every second. 

 

I got the same gig.  :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
9 hours ago, smiler said:

Some names are coming back to me now

Jimmy Grant Crewe Toll

Frank Farmer Silverknowes 

Steve Pennycook Silverknowes

Tommy Thomson Silverknowes 

John Allan South Gyle

 

I worked with Frank at Silverknowes.  A nice chap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
8 hours ago, JyTees said:

 

Started 88 as well, mech craft, left after a year. Hated it. Wasn't cut out for the factory environment. Used to walk passed zombies in the corridor with their presented watches and think, "please God, no"

 

Remember Kennedy. Great guy, probably being Hearts helped the relationship...just a bit!. During that time our derby dominance was at its peak. All through secondary school and into work life with barely a blow landed by that lot. Remember going in to work after a midweek defeat. We'd not long had 17 in a row and I'll never forget Kennedy saying to me he didn't think the dominance would last now. He thought victories and league positions would be shared between us. Remember feeling so deflated and couldn't really comprehend what he was telling me. I don't think after that day we were beaten again for another 22 😂. Always wished I could've bumped into him and told him how wrong he was. He'd have been delighted of course!

 

The miller, Rab Shand I think as someone mentioned earlier was another good guy, Was he the one with the long permed blonde barnet? Bit if a twitcher if memory serves me right 🤔 Great guy anyway!

 

Surprised no one has mentioned the fitter, Willie Dickie, or Bill. He was a nob! Or is he a figment of my imagination? 🤔

 

Nice wee trip down memory lane though. Cheers lads 👍🏻

 

 

 

I think this was the twat who went Radio Rental at me for cutting a bit of spring steel the wrong way.  I got a 'booking' for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

Anyone remember the guy from Sunderland who worked in the radar test set planning department at South Gyle?  I think he was the most boring ****er on earth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone remember the guy from Sunderland who worked in the radar test set planning department at South Gyle?  I think he was the most boring ****er on earth.

I worked in radar planning at South Gyle with Gordon Gooch, he ran it at the time but he was a gormless boring dude . He was useless but I heard he only got the gig as his old man was a high up manager. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, smiler said:

I'd need to dig out all my Ferranti stuff mate, I can remember where I was placed but not timescales. 

That's superb you've got that photo, we just need the same for 3 years later 😀

 

And 3 years earlier if possible. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
15 minutes ago, smiler said:

I worked in radar planning at South Gyle with Gordon Gooch, he ran it at the time but he was a gormless boring dude . He was useless but I heard he only got the gig as his old man was a high up manager. 

 

Name rings a bell.  I think the guy I'm thinking of was called Howard.  Could be wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another name's popped up, I worked for Archie McQuater at, I think, Silverknowes. Nice old fella. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...