• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot
Aye.

Spitroast?

Obviously, though I'm watching this with my daughter so be carefull

FTH.

Players back out, who is everyones money on now then?

Before the tournament I tipped Nadal to win it, and was kicking myself for not backing him as he waltzed to the final and took a 2 set lead.

Most players would crumble after that 4th set tie-breaker but I don't think Nadal will. I honestly can't call it...

Chip Douglas
Players back out, who is everyones money on now then?

Before the tournament I tipped Nadal to win it, and was kicking myself for not backing him as he waltzed to the final and took a 2 set lead.

Most players would crumble after that 4th set tie-breaker but I don't think Nadal will. I honestly can't call it...

I think Federer will edge it.

Chip Douglas
Why is the Wimbledon crowd so keen on Federer?

Glory-hunters?

Arguably Nadal's the player of the season so far so probably not.

The Old Tolbooth

Glory-hunters?

Because they are a shower of snobs, Rodger sounds so much more sophisticated for them to chant.

Did you see them chanting "Rodger, Rodger, Rodger" looking like a right bunch o minges in their toffee nosed way?

Yet I bet if they see football fans chanting they would call us all cads and vagabonds! :rolleyes:

EDIT - That Federer fella just doesn't know when he's beat, what a fighter he is, magic!

Glory-hunters?

I think it's the way he has come back. Hard not to want him to win after the 3rd and 4th set.

Chip Douglas
Because they are a shower of snobs, Rodger sounds so much more sophisticated for them to chant.

Did you see them chanting "Rodger, Rodger, Rodger" looking like a right bunch o minges in their toffee nosed way?

Yet I bet if they see football fans chanting they would call us all cads and vagabonds! :rolleyes:

To be fair, there's a fair section of the crowd chanting "Rafa, Rafa, Rafa" I think.

The Old Tolbooth
To be fair, there's a fair section of the crowd chanting "Rafa, Rafa, Rafa" I think.

Ha ha! Just as I read that it showed a section of the crowd chanting it :)

loveofthegame

Glory-hunters?

For the same reason so many fans love Tiger Woods. Because he plays the game like no-one has before him.

He's a legend. What a match.

I said before it that i was happy whoever won, but sitting watching it i cant help but support Fed

loveofthegame

Can see the light ending play before one of the players does,and im working tomorrow. Gutted

Chip Douglas
Is that Gwen Stefani in the federer box?

Aye, with her husband Gavin Rossdale. I think he's a keen tennis player.

Edit: Ended up lumping on Nadal to win three sets to two at ?5 to ?1 at Stanjames -- odds weren't worth it for any kind of Federer win.

Very wise.

The Old Tolbooth

Well done Rafa, simply brilliant!

2 of the best players I've ever seen.

CostaJambo

Glory-hunters?

I reckon it's because Nadal has a very punchable face.

rossi_1983

Awesome match between 2 of the greatest players of all time!

Glad Rafa won, but it was a hell of a fightback from Federer, and its a shame someone had to lose!

That was simply awesome.

In terms of the scoreline, it was close, but I can't help but think Nadal battered Federer out there.

Nadal was the player always threatening the breaks of serve and Federer was just clinging on.

Unbelievable match and for Rafa to come back to win after dropping a 2 set lead tells you something about his mentality.

4 grand slams at the age of 22...

What a awesome final, i useally cant sit that long and watch the tennis but you just couldn't take your eyes of the match, glad Rafa won.

ToadKiller Dog

Welldone to both of them ,they proved that there is nothing better compelling than sport at its bests more so in this modern world that has so many other dumbed down attractions out there.

Strangely enough one of my first sporting memories as a kid was the classic Borg vrs Mcenroe final this game was much in the same class.

Nadal proved himself today just hope he doesnt burn out ofyen his explosive type do.

Federer proved why he will go down as one of the greats he refused to die.

Ibrahim Tall
That was simply awesome.

In terms of the scoreline, it was close, but I can't help but think Nadal battered Federer out there.

Nadal was the player always threatening the breaks of serve and Federer was just clinging on.

Unbelievable match and for Rafa to come back to win after dropping a 2 set lead tells you something about his mentality.

4 grand slams at the age of 22...

5 now. :eek:

And only a year older than Murray, kind of puts all the "hype" the UK press put on him in perspective.

JennyJambo

Federer did well to come back at him but I like Rafa better so chuffed he won it.

I thought Rafa might bottle it at one point. Both of them played brilliantly though and neither deserved to lose but right now lady luck seems to be smiling on the Spanish!

I switched over to interactive to catch the very last match, mixed doubles

It's usually a gentle affair anyway but perhaps this was being played in an even friendlier spirit than usual, with the prospect of the two men involved, the Bryan brothers, probably splitting their winnings ?

The winners take home ?92k by the way :eek: ( runners up get ?46k )

Wasn't sure I'd heard right at first and had to check !

Nadal gets a cool ?750,000 :dribble:

chester copperpot
It's a travesty that someone has to lose this.

I'm gutted likes. I wanted to bet Spain (6-1) / Nadal (3-1) Double for plenty dosh, didn't though. Just went for the Spain single. Pity.

Boaby Ewing
I'm gutted likes. I wanted to bet Spain (6-1) / Nadal (3-1) Double for plenty dosh, didn't though. Just went for the Spain single. Pity.

My Nadal 3-2 bet turned out to be a peach though. ;)

Good news, bad news, and all that.

Papa's got a new pair of shoes.

The Old Tolbooth
My Nadal 3-2 bet turned out to be a peach though. ;)

Good news, bad news, and all that.

Papa's got a new pair of shoes.

That's it Dave, rub it in mate :D

chester copperpot
5 now. :eek:

And only a year older than Murray, kind of puts all the "hype" the UK press put on him in perspective.

He's not won 5 slams mate, he's won 5 majors.

Big difference.

Sorry. :)

Ibrahim Tall

Awell, whats the difference? Thought the Aussie/US/French Open & Wimbledon each all counted as a Grand Slam?

chester copperpot
Awell, whats the difference? Thought the Aussie/US/French Open & Wimbledon each all counted as a Grand Slam?

Each one is a leg of the grand slam mate.

You need to win Aussie/French/Wimbledon/US Open to complete the grand slam.

Think last person to do it was Steffi Graf. Incidentely she won the olympics too that year (I think).

Each one is a leg of the grand slam mate.

You need to win Aussie/French/Wimbledon/US Open to complete the grand slam.

Think last person to do it was Steffi Graf. Incidentely she won the olympics too that year (I think).

Think your wrong on that mate.

The 4 "major events" as you are referred to are grand slams.

Winning all 4 is said to be doing the grand slam.

chester copperpot
Think your wrong on that mate.

The 4 "major events" as you are referred to are grand slams.

Winning all 4 is said to be doing the grand slam.

Sorry to be Mr Pedant mate, but winning one is a Major. Winning all 4 in one season is the Grand Slam.

Thus meaning that neither Federed or Nadal has won a Grand Slam as yet.

I am right, so no need to answer back. ;) Trust me I'm right.

Sorry to be Mr Pedant mate, but winning one is a Major. Winning all 4 in one season is the Grand Slam.

Thus meaning that neither Federed or Nadal has won a Grand Slam as yet.

I am right, so no need to answer back. ;) Trust me I'm right.

I know it ain't the fountain of all knowledge but wikipedia suggests otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(tennis)

chester copperpot
I know it ain't the fountain of all knowledge but wikipedia suggests otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(tennis)

Trust me mate, winning Wimbledon and the French open aint winning the Grand Slam.

You need to win the Aussie Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S Open to complete the Grand slam.

Seen as Djokovic won the Aussie open in Jan/Feb(I think), then no one can win the Slam this year. Also the 4th leg of the 'Slam' has to be played at Flushing Meadow later on in September (Again, I think its September).

I think Nadal has a great chance next year though. He aint the best on Hardcourts though due to his dodgy knee's.

Trust me mate, winning Wimbledon and the French open aint winning the Grand Slam.

You need to win the Aussie Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S Open to complete the Grand slam.

Seen as Djokovic won the Aussie open in Jan/Feb(I think), then no one can win the Slam this year. Also the 4th leg of the 'Slam' has to be played at Flushing Meadow later on in September (Again, I think its September).

I think Nadal has a great chance next year though. He aint the best on Hardcourts though due to his dodgy knee's.

I know he hasn't "done the grand slam" as doing that is winning all 4 events in one year.

Winning a grand slam and doing the grand slam are different things!

WUM ;)

Each of the four majors is called a 'grand slam title' if a player wins all four in a season they complete the calander year grand slam, or they can achieve a career grand slam if they manage to win each of the four at least once at any point during their career.

chester copperpot
I know he hasn't "done the grand slam" as doing that is winning all 4 events in one year.

Winning a grand slam and doing the grand slam are different things!

Are they :confused:

Sorry mate, they're majors, winning them all in one season contemplates a grand slam. I might be wrong, but thats my take on it.

Sorry. I'm taking this from Golf, as I know that better, but I bet its the same in the tennis world. :P

rossi_1983
Are they :confused:

Sorry mate, they're majors, winning them all in one season contemplates a grand slam. I might be wrong, but thats my take on it.

Sorry. I'm taking this from Golf, as I know that better, but I bet its the same in the tennis world. :P

D Mcg and Maxi are right!

It is a bit confusing, but it is all in the wording. Wimbledon is A Grand Slam. All 4 is THE Grand Slam

Have never really shown that much interest in tennis in recent years. In many ways it has become very much like football : it's not really about skill or technique but if you're fit and strong and can out last your opponent you'll usually win.

And that is Nadal.

I can't remember a winner at Wimbledon who choked from the baseline and didn't have the skills or the guts to go for a win.

Federer is absolute class and came within a whisker of setting a modern day record of 6 straight wins (OK , some other bloke did it in the days of sepia phots).

Today will be written up as some sort of classic but it never was. It was nowhere near being a tennis match. just two guys , for the main part, slugging it out like two heavyweight boxers that can't move around the ring.

I can't say I'm relishing the thought of Nadal winning anything in the near future. He looks like a caveman and plays like it too.

Archived