New training ground?

jamboinglasgow

15 minutes ago, Humblerogue said:

Could we not just train at Tynecastle and fit out the second floor of the new stand with a gym? 

I thought about that supplemented by using say the community pitch, but would only cater for 1st team.

Edited by DETTY29

At last year FOH AGM I asked herself about the direction of foh income with regard to maintaining a focus and encouraging contributors. Mrs Budge indicated that she did not wish to have the foh monies ringfenced. Her thoughts were on a new training ground next to Tynecastle as land could be coming available. The Oriam is costing the club £500,000 per annum and would only increase in the future and  I gathered from a quick word that a new training ground and accomodation could generate income instead of paying out. Mrs Budge does not do things by half and has wealthy and influential friends who along with the foh can be ambitious. The playing side is another matter and been a disaster in my opinion including our academy but that is another topic I expect.   No doubt the appearance of the plague virus has put all on hold meantime as we all recover and get back to the Premier League

22 hours ago, luckydug said:

Doesn't seem that long since I used to see the players running round the playing fields at Pinkie while sitting on the Number 26 bus. 

Time passes I'm getting old 😕

We won the Scottish cup whilst Hearts were training at Pinkie and using Musselburgh swimming pool to get showered.

I know it's not even in our league but Liverpools new training and performance centre cost over £50 million.  Even 40% of that is our of our league without resorting to massive borrowing.

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

We won the Scottish cup whilst Hearts were training at Pinkie and using Musselburgh swimming pool to get showered.

That's right and JJ used to have them running round the racecourse sometimes. 

That was some team we had then and nearly won the league as well as the cup. 

All the modern fitness programmes don't seem to have benefit us much. 

Sometimes the old ways are the best. I don't recall us having as many injuries back then. 

SomethingAboutObua

If we leave in 6 years time we could leave the SFA as sole custodians of the professional training areas of Oriam.  

So we'd have our national team paying the full rent to do training and performance in Edinburgh, but then have to take the players to our recently bought stadium in Glasgow for matches?

Konrad von Carstein
On 19/12/2020 at 15:06, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Nothing is set in stone.

Hearts do need their own space , away from prying eyes .

Ownership is far better than having a landlord, it is more expensive going all in alone and a bit of pie in the sky right now for our club for the next few years.

If Hearts do decide to leave Riccarton, it will be to their new training ground complex in Saughton Mains.

Bringing them closer to the stadium and the other sporting areas at Murrayfield etc.

The cost of this would be around £70M

Where in Saughton Mains? Are they going to bulldoze the whole scheme?

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I did say if and should of said the Suaghton Mains area.

The club has been looking at a site there for a long time, the Stank used to be a place of interest.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

The club has been looking at a site there for a long time, the Stank used to be a place of interest.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as snippy, you'll have to remind me, the Stank?

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as snippy, you'll have to remind me, the Stank?

This came from my great uncle during one of his historical rants.

Seemingly i am like him.

bobby bombscare
8 hours ago, DC_92 said:

£50 million? I just checked and it ended up as £13m, with them having budgeted £10m. Are you not thinking of the overall projected cost for a combined new stadium and training ground complex?

sorry, i messed that one up.. i definitely saw 50 million somewhere so checked and you're right! that is the cost of the stadium!! (in my defence, it was about midnight when i sent this and i had been up since 5am)

That actually changes things. If we could build our own training facilities for say 15 mil (since land here is ridiculous and we deal with some of the dodgiest councils going)to build a facility as good ad we have at oriam. It does make it more feasible! But 15 mil is still a lot of money to get the same facilities as we already have but with all the running and maintenance costs falling directly to us.

Would be good to see it happen though! Maybe somewhere like Midlothian. Then some of the lower league hearts supporting teams like Bonnyrigg Rose can rent the facilities as well.  Also, even just looking at the option of building our own facilities will help the club negotiate a better deal at oriam if they wanted to stay.

I'm not opposed to it. As long it's a smart business decision!!

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Years back Romanov wanted to build a new stadium and there was a lot of talk (dont know how realistically) about a new stadium at Carrick Knowe Golf Club and that the council were looking to get rid of it to cut costs. If it was ever an option that would be an ideal location for a training ground (and could have community uses as well.)

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Years back Romanov wanted to build a new stadium and there was a lot of talk (dont know how realistically) about a new stadium at Carrick Knowe Golf Club and that the council were looking to get rid of it to cut costs. If it was ever an option that would be an ideal location for a training ground (and could have community uses as well.)

I am going a lot further back in time than then mate, when i stop drinking smoking and crying i will try to find out more about the story.

The Stank was the name he always said Hearts had their eye on missed out on etc. The story has a lot in it, a stadium and training ground with a massive car park.

My grandad blamed Churchill and Himmler for it all, according to my Great uncle.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I am going a lot further back in time than then mate, when i stop drinking smoking and crying i will try to find out more about the story.

The Stank was the name he always said Hearts had their eye on missed out on etc. The story has a lot in it, a stadium and training ground with a massive car park.

My grandad blamed Churchill and Himmler for it all, according to my Great uncle.

Think this what your grandad was talking about.

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thanks i will read that.

I found this further down the page.

nn66exD.jpg

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Wow that is amazing,was telling the truth after all.

He said Hearts were football and the biggest team in Europe at that time.

Was also right in tying up the three vermin cousins and sitting them in front of the fire for a while

Capped for Scotland and USA

Gorgie Boot boy

Stank Burn

(The Stank)

A stream mostly hidden within culverts, the Stank Burn (or The Stank) rises as a drainage ditch in the South Gyle area of W Edinburgh. It flows east for 3 miles (5 km) through Corstorphine, Carrick Knowe and Saughtonhall, to fall into the Water of Leith at Murrayfield, between the road and foot-bridges which cross the river from Riversdale Crescent.

So realistically after looking on Google maps, Saughton sports complex and half of the gardens are the only options in that area.

A missed opportunity after all.

Gorgie Boot boy
42 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Union park is interesting, it looks similar to Riccarton in size .

There is also Meggetland, i am biased as used to play there on Sundays as a kid.

Jumper tops for goal posts games and great memories.

Has a good amount of space and is situated in a good spot from prying eyes.

There are a few options, them being for sale and us affording them then the upgrades etc is pie in the sky now.

Seems the war was at fault for this not happening, imagine we went ahead with the plans and had the stadium and training ground.

HHGH

3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Nowhere that I know of. There’s hardly a field left that hasn’t had a house built on it 

Footballfirst

I think you would want space for a minimum of five full size pitches, preferably one indoors, one 3G and three grass.  You would be looking for something like 120m x 80m per pitch (more if you want spectator areas).  The Oriam has 1 x indoor, 1 x 3G and 7 x grass pitches. East Mains has 1 x 3G and 5 grass.

There is no reason why Hearts couldn't have a secure location for 1st team training and a separate site for the academy, although there would need to be some duplication in facilities.

Rough measurements of green spaces in the west of the city.

Oriam 500m x 275m (including buildings but excluding car parking)

Sighthill Park 400m x 225m

Saughton Park 600m x 175m (includes the enclosure and kids play parks)

Gyle Park 375m x 225m

Marine Drive 275m x 260m (includes Christie Gillies and World of Football)

Union Park 175m x 175m

Meggetland 230m x 185m

Colinton Mains Park 230m x 185m

Redford Barracks 175m x 175m 

Cragiehall 400m x 330m (includes a couple of adjacent fields)

I included a couple of MOD sites as there is every possibility of these being closed in a few years time.

Gorgie Boot boy
11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think you would want space for a minimum of five full size pitches, preferably one indoors, one 3G and three grass.  You would be looking for something like 120m x 80m per pitch (more if you want spectator areas).  The Oriam has 1 x indoor, 1 x 3G and 7 x grass pitches. East Mains has 1 x 3G and 5 grass.

There is no reason why Hearts couldn't have a secure location for 1st team training and a separate site for the academy, although there would need to be some duplication in facilities.

Gyle Park 375m x 225m

Union Park 175m x 175m

Meggetland 230m x 185m

I included a couple of MOD sites as there is every possibility of these being closed in a few years time.

Thanks for this

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Leicester City's new training ground, near Seagrave. The Foxes' new training facility is a £100m development on the site of the former 185 acre Park Hill golf course, off the A46.

That Leicester training ground is huge. Their community program has to be scaling up significantly as the amount of pitches there looks huge. 

I've got 2 points to make on a training ground - 

Any training centre needs to be run in part with a "Hearts football coaching" business. 

It needs to be operating 5-6 days a week providing coaching and games for the 5-15yr old age groups which act as a feeder for identifying talent. Any academy is a black hole for money - building it around training kids outside of the Academy system is how to offset that. 

Any new training ground has to be the best in class for Scotland.

A lot of these training centres are awful "functional" buildings with some pitches - if anyone has seen Rangers training ground building and general layout then we should be looking to replicate and expand on that. Rangers have invested a lot into refurbishing their training centre and coaching program over the last few years. We can talk about pampered players but creating a space that allows players to train/relax and work on all aspects of themselves (physically/mentally) is one of the ways we offset the financial difference between Hearts and the Old Firm.

rudiatemyhamster
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Why?

East Lothian is a no during rush hour too far away

Heriot Watt is ideal - plus the other sports and students creates a good vibe

Football’s a simple game - let’s not over complicate things 

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Why?

There's more land out there, it is more scenic and peaceful, less traffic and further away from any prying eyes than the west side of Edinburghshire. Better golf courses as well.

I'm really not into the idea of building a new training ground. At least not under Budge. Her track record of spending £20 million on a £12 million stand that hasn't been finished yet doesn't fill me with confidence, especially when we're supposed to be currently using the best facilities in the country.

Edited by jambo-rocker

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

There's more land out there, it is more scenic and peaceful, less traffic and further away from any prying eyes than the west side of Edinburghshire. Better golf courses as well.

I imagine more of our players live North and West of Edinburgh but any training ground will likely be sited mostly by where it’s cheapest to build.  

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine more of our players live North and West of Edinburgh but any training ground will likely be sited mostly by where it’s cheapest to build.  

I'd agree, it'll be a long time before it happens anyway. It certainly won't be central but if we could get our hands of the School and Distillery, that would be the ideal location. 

On 19/12/2020 at 12:44, jamboinglasgow said:

I think she is good at long term planning and ideas (certanly with infrastructure and off the pitch) , the problem is the short term can bog things down. She was trying to cover too much at the same time.

While some of her decision making has torn supporters, there's no doubt Ann Budge has done great things for Hearts, and I don't think most fans will appreciate what she did, until she's long gone.

Mercer, Robinson and Romanov all left legacies in their own way, and Budge will too. Mercer made the club great again, Robinson took the club into the new era and Romanov gave us a slice of the glory we've long craved. 

But what Budge has done will stand the test of time. She's done everything in her power to ensure Heart of Midlothian is a sustainable business, in a time in football where it's never been more important. Hopefully we never need to rely on an ego-driven businessman or mad Russian oligarch any time soon.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

We trained there before Hibs did. 

We used to get someone to go round the park and pick up the dugshite as well.

We won’t be going back to that either.

On 20/12/2020 at 22:25, Footballfirst said:

Gyle Park 375m x 225m

Union Park 175m x 175m

Meggetland 230m x 185m

Craigyhall would be the business, just up from Cramond Brig, the army has moved out, Roseberry should be up for that.