White Christmas

Marvin

It looks as if Edinburgh is set for snow and sub zero temperatures come New Year. Bookies offering odds of around, 2/1. Get out your Winter woolies. 🥶

Only takes 1 snow flake anywhere in the country for it to be classed as a white Christmas. 
No chance we will see any significant snowfall. It’s to be too mild. 

Ive never really took into account any weather forecast more than 5 days away.

Accuracy starts to drop off and too high a margin for error.

Meteorology lecturer told us this at Uni. He says they're called forecasts for a reason.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Ive never really took into account any weather forecast more than 5 days away.

Accuracy starts to drop off and too high a margin for error.

Meteorology lecturer told us this at Uni. He says they're called forecasts for a reason.

This. 

According to the Met Office, Hogmanay is forecast as a high of 5C and low of 2C, that’s as far as they go out at this stage.

I personally would be surprised if they have an accurate forecast beyond two weeks, usually anything further than 5 days is a hit or a miss IMO 

We'll probably go into another lockdown anyway, hopefully it's thick with snow, might make the Edinburgh is a shit hole thread look better as well. 

The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We'll probably go into another lockdown anyway, hopefully it's thick with snow, might make the Edinburgh is a shit hole thread look better as well. 

Is that thread really bad?

Never bothered looking at it.

There’s enough bun fights on the COVID-19 Thread.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

He says they're called forecasts for a reason.

Because it is predicting something in the future? 🤷‍♂️

50 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Because it is predicting something in the future? 🤷‍♂️

Yup. Its an educated guess. Sure it uses top technology and data from the past but the variables involved mean the accuracy really drops off when you start trying to predict further than a week.

If you predict tomorrow's weather to be the same as today you can get it right up to 70% of the time I'm sure i was told as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Still think is aint going to snow? :laugh2: Luckily its cold but sunny outside mine. I've seen pics from another member on twitter and it looked really beautiful outside her's.

Saw a teen worker in his Sainbury's gear with nice black shoes on trying to navigate his way down Robertson Avenue earlier.

I'm easily amused perhaps but I did stand and watch him for a couple of minutes.