Whisky

Vic Vespa

Trying to cut down my beer intake, already down to 2 nights a week, but looking for something I can "sip" on a night to replace the beer, never been a spirits guy so need advice ...

I have liqueurs in my cabinet I drink at new year etc, Glayva, Drambuie so think I want to get into Whisky.

What's the best Whisly for beginners then and what to mix with it or drink it sraight.

Cheers for advice ....

I tried a similar thread a few years ago, regarding Malt whisky.  I thought I might like some of them.  I only liked (sort of) the peaty ones.

But not really.

Whisky, for me, is awful stuff.

Sorry.  :sad: 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I tried a similar thread a few years ago, regarding Malt whisky.  I thought I might like some of them.  I only liked (sort of) the peaty ones.

But not really.

It's not often i agree with you Morgan. 

I would recommend finding a good bourbon for sipping, but i generally stay away from spirits. 

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

But not really.

I'm with you Morgan, I've tried but just can't get into it, it fair pisses me off.

I've got some nice malts but the only ones I get passed two or three sips are Tamdhu or a Strath Spey.

been here before
8 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Trying to cut down my beer intake, already down to 2 nights a week, but looking for something I can "sip" on a night to replace the beer, never been a spirits guy so need advice ...

I have liqueurs in my cabinet I drink at new year etc, Glayva, Drambuie so think I want to get into Whisky.

What's the best Whisly for beginners then and what to mix with it or drink it sraight.

Cheers for advice ....

Vile stuff.

A nice brandy, warmed or a decent Cognac are your real friends.

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I would recommend finding a good bourbon for sipping, but i generally stay away from spirits. 

I tried a Baffalo Trace once and quite liked it, I should maybe try a couple more Bourbons.

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I tried a Baffalo Trace once and quite liked it, I should maybe try a couple more Bourbons.

You should pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve. At £32 it ain't cheap but the supermarkets sometimes have it on offer at £20

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

You should pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve. At £32 it ain't cheap but the supermarkets sometimes have it on offer at £20

It may sound like a daft question but I've never looked for bourbons, can you get half or quarter bottles?

Dagger Is Back
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It may sound like a daft question but I've never looked for bourbons, can you get half or quarter bottles?

Not a daft question at all. Have never seen WR in anything less than 70cl but you can pick up Jack and Jim Beam in 35ml

Knob Creek and Makers Mark are other decent shouts iMO

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Not a daft question at all. Have never seen WR in anything less than 70cl but you can pick up Jack and Jim Beam in 35ml

Knob Creek and Makers Mark are other decent shouts iMO

Cheers, I'll look next time I'm out👍

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Cheers, I'll look next time I'm out👍

See what Asda have got online mate, do a click and collect. £25 minimum order. 

Going to pick up your shopping and the boy just hands you a bottle of bourbon, haha. 

Single malts are renowned the world over and the reason for this is that they are the best. Bunnahabhain is a favourite of mine although a lot of people don't like the Islay malts. I've just finished a 12 year old Cardhu which is from Speyside (I think but I'm pished so don't hold me to that) and it was surprisingly good. 

One of the most magical things about Scotland is the whisky, and particularly the malts. Every distillery, sometimes every bottle, has a history and a tale to tell. You can meet people from every corner of this planet and you say the words single malt and you've got a friend for life. Most Scots don't seem to really understand all this, I'm not sure I do, but when you delve in it really is something quite remarkable.

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Single malts are renowned the world over and the reason for this is that they are the best. Bunnahabhain is a favourite of mine although a lot of people don't like the Islay malts. I've just finished a 12 year old Cardhu which is from Speyside (I think but I'm pished so don't hold me to that) and it was surprisingly good. 

One of the most magical things about Scotland is the whisky, and particularly the malts. Every distillery, sometimes every bottle, has a history and a tale to tell. You can meet people from every corner of this planet and you say the words single malt and you've got a friend for life. Most Scots don't seem to really understand all this, I'm not sure I do, but when you delve in it really is something quite remarkable.

So are I phones. Bolt. 

1 hour ago, Marriott said:

Cheers for advice ....

Aberlour 10 year old.

Cheap as chips on amazon.

Really easy drinking  whisky.

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

There's always a muggy ***** bringing the tone down. 

Ha. I just find the whole whisky thing a bit fake, like you must like whisky because loads of other people do, a bit like over priced iphones. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ha. I just find the whole whisky thing a bit fake, like you must like whisky because loads of other people do, a bit like over priced iphones. 

I love it. I never owned an iphone though.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Marriott said:

Cheers for advice ....

I was similar to you in that I like a Drambuie, but I wanted to try something less sweet.

A couple of mates who were into good Single Malts suggested I try them. My son had also got into them whilst working up in the extreme north of Scotland, and I shared a few with him, and was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed them.  

These are not the kind of stuff that John Wayne sold to the Injuns, but good, smooth Malts.
I only buy them when on offer at my local Tesco. You can get some great offers in a supermarket. I never pay full price for a bottle.

My current favourite is Old Pulteney from Wick, and I find Dalwhinnie produce nice stuff too.

It is all down to personal taste. I can understand people not liking Whisky but to say it’s rubbish or horrible would make it something of a mystery that so many people think differently.

And like most alcoholic drinks, some moderation makes them more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It’s not often I agree with you either, Greedy.

However, I’ve got to say, I find whisky absolutely horrible and in the main, like yourself, avoid spirits anyhow.

I like a drink that I can have a big go at, like beer, lager, wine or Cava.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm with you Morgan, I've tried but just can't get into it, it fair pisses me off.

I've got some nice malts but the only ones I get passed two or three sips are Tamdhu or a Strath Spey.

I know what you mean, Dawn.

Part of me wants to like whisky, by Christ I’ve given it enough shots in my life, but no, it’s terrible stuff.

20 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I was similar to you in that I like a Drambuie, but I wanted to try something less sweet.

A couple of mates who were into good Single Malts suggested I try them. My son had also got into them whilst working up in the extreme north of Scotland, and I shared a few with him, and was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed them.  

These are not the kind of stuff that John Wayne sold to the Injuns, but good, smooth Malts.
I only buy them when on offer at my local Tesco. You can get some great offers in a supermarket. I never pay full price for a bottle.

My current favourite is Old Pulteney from Wick, and I find Dalwhinnie produce nice stuff too.

It is all down to personal taste. I can understand people not liking Whisky but to say it’s rubbish or horrible would make it something of a mystery that so many people think differently.

And like most alcoholic drinks, some moderation makes them more enjoyable.

If you like pultney and dalwhinnie try Glenrothes and glengoyne both favourites of mine. Master of malt do some good offers that change regularly, so worth checking until they are reduced

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Got an Ardbeg on the go tonight, despite my attempts at a sober November. Too tempting, especially after the good news from across the Atlantic.

I'll similarly never understand people who like vodka or gin, however. Minging stuff. 

At a push, I’ll take a Gin ‘n’ Tonic.  (Ice and a slice, sir?)

Vodka, never.

As for Bacardi?  :boak:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

At a push, I’ll take a Gin ‘n’ Tonic.  (Ice and a slice, sir?)

Vodka, never.

As for Bacardi?  :boak:

Proper Wodka from Poland is completely different from the push we get in this country.

I agree about Bacardi or any rum gives me the boak

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You don't get into whisky. Whisky gets into you. 🧔

Agreed.

It, without a doubt, killed a good bloke I knew.  

He couldn't stop drinking it, died at age 43.  :sad: 

Just now, milky_26 said:

Proper Wodka from Poland is completely different from the push we get in this country.

I agree about Bacardi or any rum gives me the boak

A good rum is a wonderful thing, like Diplomatico Reserva from Venezuela. 
Bacardi however is drain cleaner. 

Used to have a girlfriend that got plastic bottles of Mount Gay (from Antigua?). Somewhere between paintstripper and nectar of the gods.

I do like a Mount Gay rum but it’s very much to be drunk with a mixer. The good ones are like malt whisky in that the ageing process smooths them out. The Diplomatico I mentioned is always drunk straight, no mixers or ice. It’s gorgeous with a toffee sort of aftertaste. 

G&T only acceptable on sizzling hot Andalucian summer afternoons at four pm, with a slice taken from a lemon straight off the tree in my late grandfather's garden. 

:sweeet:  Oh!  Stop it!

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Got an Ardbeg on the go tonight, despite my attempts at a sober November. Too tempting, especially after the good news from across the Atlantic.

I'll similarly never understand people who like vodka or gin, however. Minging stuff. 

love the Corryvreckan and Uigeadail...my faves of all.

back to the original question, Mannochmore is probably the easiest to approach imo

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Seen it in some folk, too. Sad when you can see it coming a mile off, as well. The demon drink, indeed.

Yep, get that Jonesy.

You can see, early on, that some people are going to take the drinking just a wee bit too far.

We have two examples of that here, both decent blokes, but always the most pissed in the bars a few years ago.

Now, they spend their days on benches, drinking the strongest beers they can find.

They have both visually aged dramatically as well.

SectionDJambo
17 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

If you like pultney and dalwhinnie try Glenrothes and glengoyne both favourites of mine. Master of malt do some good offers that change regularly, so worth checking until they are reduced

I’ve tried Glenrothes. Quite enjoyed it. Nice smooth drink. 
I prefer these type to the peaty ones out there.

45 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Looks like you keep it in a safe!

Ever been tempted to open it?

😂 Not a safe, just a wee cubby hole in there kitchen. My grandad died and was tempted but we weren't close. It'll need one of things that never gets opened. Someone better when I die though 😂😂

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Islay whiskies have a smoky aroma and flavour due to the peat in the water there, so some whisky drinkers, like myself, prefer Speyside malts which are milder in flavour. Macallan is wonderful.

Island malts such as Highland Park from Orkney are also very palatable.

Tried some Macallan in honour of Neil Peart on his birthday - didn't like it. Maybe just a smidgin of water would've helped.

Islay malts are just too full-on for me.

Highland Park does go down very easily and I'm definitely NOT a whisky connoisseur. 12yo is nice but 18yo even  nicer. Some folk will say it's not even the best whisky out of Orkney - that accolade would go to Scapa but I've never tried that one.

There are some really good port and other fortified wine cask finished malts on the market if you like something a bit different with a deeper richer taste.

Of the ones I've tried, I'd recommend the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and the Arran Marsala.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There are some really good port and other fortified wine cask finished malts on the market if you like something a bit different with a deeper richer taste.

Of the ones I've tried, I'd recommend the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and the Arran Marsala.

Wee anecdote in terms of that. I used to know an old mad highlander called Iain Campbell who used to drive around the highlands in a double decker bus he’d converted into a mobile art gallery and spent the rest of his time living in the Black Isle making bodhrans. Less known was his sideline in selling knockoff whisky he got from a source at Glenmorangie. The whisky was all top notch single malt but tended to be stuff that had failed quality control for colour or experimental stuff they hadn’t gone ahead with. He turned up where I lived one night with stuff he claimed was the best he’d ever had and was an experimental one made in port barrels that was a deep red colour. I can’t stand whisky but even I had to admit this stuff was nice. Years later Iain was dead and gone and I saw a Glenmorangie advert for port barrel aged whisky and had a little wry smile to myself. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Wee anecdote in terms of that. I used to know an old mad highlander called Iain Campbell who used to drive around the highlands in a double decker bus he’d converted into a mobile art gallery and spent the rest of his time living in the Black Isle making bodhrans. Less known was his sideline in selling knockoff whisky he got from a source at Glenmorangie. The whisky was all top notch single malt but tended to be stuff that had failed quality control for colour or experimental stuff they hadn’t gone ahead with. He turned up where I lived one night with stuff he claimed was the best he’d ever had and was an experimental one made in port barrels that was a deep red colour. I can’t stand whisky but even I had to admit this stuff was nice. Years later Iain was dead and gone and I saw a Glenmorangie advert for port barrel aged whisky and had a little wry smile to myself. 

:) People like Iain make life far more interesting. Wish I'd had a taste of that experimental whisky!

Couldn't stand whisky until a work's night out 2 years ago when a Macallan 18 year old was plonked at our table for free! Clobbered a bottle with the wife 😄 and I'm now a convert. Not the cheapest but there is something about it. Smooth and not as nippy as some whiskies. Wouldn't drink anything else. Just a lovely flavour to it. Johnny Walker Blue Label is wonderful too. When it's up and running again, I thoroughly recommend The Whisky Stramash to folk starting out on their whisky journey. A cracking great day out and a great intro to uisge beatha 🥃.

Edited by EH11_2NL

alwaysthereinspirit

Bought a bottle of Octomore 11.3 last Friday. Been looking for a while for an Octomore. Once I got it home I thought it would go unopened for quite a while.

Got settled in Saturday for the semi and then heard the sad new about Marius.

Opened it Saturday night and had a wee dram to the man’s memory.

Personally like the peaty ones. 
Every one has their own taste. 
Try a few different ones and then decide.

The first whiskey I ever enjoyed was Beinn Dubh, Its black so looks unusual for whiskey. To me it had a caramel/rum rasin flavour, it was fantastic. Its 50 a bottle but worth it.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

But not really.

Had my dads 12 year old whisky one night, toiled to climb the stairs to my room, nasty stuff😵.

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

Used to have a girlfriend that got plastic bottles of Mount Gay (from Antigua?). Somewhere between paintstripper and nectar of the gods.

Barbados. I went to the factory years ago when I was there. Like all spirits it tasted way better there than it did back home. 

7 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Had my dads 12 year old whisky one night, toiled to climb the stairs to my room, nasty stuff😵.

That’s the danger of drinking a litre of the stuff, Harold. 🥃

😜

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s the danger of drinking a litre of the stuff, Harold. 🥃

😜

Aye, best in moderation as they say😵.

41 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye, best in moderation as they say😵.

It’s boring, but at the end of the day, it’s worth it.

Now, I’m trying to convince myself, Harry!  😄

Update: gave the Macallan Gold another go last night after reading this thread. Added a splash of water and that made a significant difference. Now I won't feel the need to give it away to my whisky-appreciating brother :D 

ULSTER HEARTS
On 07/11/2020 at 20:41, Dawnrazor said:

I was in Tesco yesterday and if you are a clubcard holder you get a 70cl bottle of JD for £16 reduced from £26. Last week I got a bottle of Southern Comfort for £13 reduced from £21. If you go on to their website you should be able to see what clubcard offers they have on.