Whisky

Vic Vespa

1 hour ago, ULSTER HEARTS said:

I was in Tesco yesterday and if you are a clubcard holder you get a 70cl bottle of JD for £16 reduced from £26. Last week I got a bottle of Southern Comfort for £13 reduced from £21. If you go on to their website you should be able to see what clubcard offers they have on.

Sounds good bud.

On 07/11/2020 at 23:50, redjambo said:

There are some really good port and other fortified wine cask finished malts on the market if you like something a bit different with a deeper richer taste.

Of the ones I've tried, I'd recommend the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and the Arran Marsala.

Is the Marsala as distinctive in the Arran as the Port in the GQR? Asking just for me!

Governor Tarkin
On 07/11/2020 at 21:33, SE16 3LN said:

Single malts are renowned the world over and the reason for this is that they are the best. Bunnahabhain is a favourite of mine although a lot of people don't like the Islay malts. I've just finished a 12 year old Cardhu which is from Speyside (I think but I'm pished so don't hold me to that) and it was surprisingly good. 

One of the most magical things about Scotland is the whisky, and particularly the malts. Every distillery, sometimes every bottle, has a history and a tale to tell. You can meet people from every corner of this planet and you say the words single malt and you've got a friend for life. Most Scots don't seem to really understand all this, I'm not sure I do, but when you delve in it really is something quite remarkable.

Agree with this. Got the 18 yr old Bunnahabhain in the go just now. Nectar.

On 08/11/2020 at 00:04, Tazio said:

Wee anecdote in terms of that. I used to know an old mad highlander called Iain Campbell who used to drive around the highlands in a double decker bus he’d converted into a mobile art gallery and spent the rest of his time living in the Black Isle making bodhrans. Less known was his sideline in selling knockoff whisky he got from a source at Glenmorangie. The whisky was all top notch single malt but tended to be stuff that had failed quality control for colour or experimental stuff they hadn’t gone ahead with. He turned up where I lived one night with stuff he claimed was the best he’d ever had and was an experimental one made in port barrels that was a deep red colour. I can’t stand whisky but even I had to admit this stuff was nice. Years later Iain was dead and gone and I saw a Glenmorangie advert for port barrel aged whisky and had a little wry smile to myself. 

Their Quinta Ruban port cask finish is pretty good tbf. The Mrs and I sunk the best part of a litre of it sitting in the warm river at 3am in the morning at Landmannalaugar in Iceland. It was mid September so no tourists. Northern lights overhead and ice crystals forming in our hair. Absolute bliss.

@Marriott, easy drinking Speysides would be the place to start before moving on to some more challenging flavours. I'd even recommend Monkey shoulder. It's a blend of several speysides and is surprisingly good as an entry-level whisky. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Mr Brightside
On 07/11/2020 at 20:24, Marriott said:

Trying to cut down my beer intake, already down to 2 nights a week, but looking for something I can "sip" on a night to replace the beer, never been a spirits guy so need advice ...

I have liqueurs in my cabinet I drink at new year etc, Glayva, Drambuie so think I want to get into Whisky.

What's the best Whisly for beginners then and what to mix with it or drink it sraight.

Cheers for advice ....

A bottle of Glenfiddich, Glemorangie or Strathisla would be good options for starting out. None of them are too powerful with smoke or peat so should be ok to drink.

On 07/11/2020 at 23:41, Boof said:

Tried some Macallan in honour of Neil Peart on his birthday - didn't like it. Maybe just a smidgin of water would've helped.

Islay malts are just too full-on for me.

Highland Park does go down very easily and I'm definitely NOT a whisky connoisseur. 12yo is nice but 18yo even  nicer. Some folk will say it's not even the best whisky out of Orkney - that accolade would go to Scapa but I've never tried that one.

I'm the same. The peaty island malts are a no-go, taste like soap to me and give me terrible heartburn.

Highland Park is my go-to, I much preferred it to Scapa, although I was being handed 25-year-old Highland Park compared with some outrageously high ABV Scapa stuff.

2 hours ago, ULSTER HEARTS said:

I was in Tesco yesterday and if you are a clubcard holder you get a 70cl bottle of JD for £16 reduced from £26. Last week I got a bottle of Southern Comfort for £13 reduced from £21. If you go on to their website you should be able to see what clubcard offers they have on.

The Tesco Clubcard deals are really good, I got a 70cl bottle of Highland Park for £25 down from £34.

Edited by Darren

3 hours ago, OBE said:

Is the Marsala as distinctive in the Arran as the Port in the GQR? Asking just for me!

Almost. To my uninformed palate, the Arran has a more refined floral taste than the punchy Glenmorangie, but the marsala is still very distinctive.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Their Quinta Ruban port cask finish is pretty good tbf. The Mrs and I sunk the best part of a litre of it sitting in the warm river at 3am in the morning at Landmannalaugar in Iceland. It was mid September so no tourists. Northern lights overhead and ice crystals forming in our hair. Absolute bliss.

These are the memories that life is made of. :food-smiley-004:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have tried quite a few malts over the years but top of my list is Clynelish which comes from Brora. It has a hint of the sea but it is quite sweet without the overwhelming dry peat smoke you get from Islay malts. However, it retails around the £45 mark online so pretty pricey but that's from a 14 year old cask remember.

A shame the pubs are closed as it is better to try some and find what you like before spending big on a bottle. The Bow Bar and The Abbotsford have a large selection but other bars are available, sadly not now though!

7 hours ago, Darren said:

I'm the same. The peaty island malts are a no-go, taste like soap to me and give me terrible heartburn.

Highland Park is my go-to, I much preferred it to Scapa, although I was being handed 25-year-old Highland Park compared with some outrageously high ABV Scapa stuff.

The Tesco Clubcard deals are really good, I got a 70cl bottle of Highland Park for £25 down from £34.

Indeed. They've usually got Dufftown on offer. Every bottle signed by a Jambo. :wink:

I’m right into the Pesty ones.

Laphroaig 10 yo

Smokehead is really good despite the hipster packaging 

Git a Boemore 12 yo on the go. It’s lovely

Penderyn Welsh whisky is tasty

My Mrs got me a bottle of Crabbie’s Yardhead 10 yo. Very nice.

Best Ive had is Lagavulin 16 yo. Beautiful 

25 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m right into the peaty ones.

Laphroaig 10 yo

Smokehead is really good despite the hipster packaging 

Git a Boemore 12 yo on the go. It’s lovely

Penderyn Welsh whisky is tasty

My Mrs got me a bottle of Crabbie’s Yardhead 10 yo. Very nice.

Best Ive had is Lagavulin 16 yo. Beautiful 

Francis Albert

I like a good malt but can't stand the peaty Island malts.

If the question is "where to start" (as in the OP) then I think good single malts would be wasted on a beginner. Famous Grouse 50/50 with bottled highland water is where I'd start (and have for most of the time continued) and then you can appreciate the quality of a good single malt as a treat. 

• 5 months later...
On 09/11/2020 at 14:58, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have tried quite a few malts over the years but top of my list is Clynelish which comes from Brora. It has a hint of the sea but it is quite sweet without the overwhelming dry peat smoke you get from Islay malts. However, it retails around the £45 mark online so pretty pricey but that's from a 14 year old cask remember.

A shame the pubs are closed as it is better to try some and find what you like before spending big on a bottle. The Bow Bar and The Abbotsford have a large selection but other bars are available, sadly not now though!

There is an auction of Brora whisky on at the moment, https://whiskyauctioneer.com/ we have one of the lots for sale sitting in a cupboard, a 1977, 24 year old boxed.

Does anybody on here dabble with this as a bit of a future investment?

Auld Reekin'
On 09/11/2020 at 14:58, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Yep, Clynelish is very nice, with a little bit of a salty-savoury tang underpinning the easy-drinking sweetness. The distillery is well worth visiting too, if you're in the Brora area: the tasting session at the end matches samples* of various of their whiskies with locally-made, artisan, chocolates.

For a standard-priced alternative to Clynelish, try Old Pulteny. It's also made in coastal NE Scotland and has that slightly salty note to it without any smoky peatiness. 

(*Pretty small ones, unfortunately...  :ermm: )

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

For a standard-priced alternative to Clynelish, try Old Pulteny. It's also made in coastal NE Scotland and has that slightly salty note to it without any smoky peatiness. 

Old Pultney's are generally smashing whiskies. 

Not always to everyone's tastes, but what they do they do very well. 

A staple on the Tarkin grog shelves. 

Dagger Is Back
On 09/11/2020 at 08:32, ULSTER HEARTS said:

Anyone tried JD Fire? Had a taste a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Same deal as JD No7

12 hours ago, moshy said:

There is an auction of Brora whisky on at the moment, https://whiskyauctioneer.com/ we have one of the lots for sale sitting in a cupboard, a 1977, 24 year old boxed.

Got a few bottles stashed away, but pretty ordinary stuff, certainly nothing anywhere near a Brora!

You ever thought about flogging it? You'd make a fortune!

10 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Got a few bottles stashed away, but pretty ordinary stuff, certainly nothing anywhere near a Brora!

You ever thought about flogging it? You'd make a fortune!

It's kind of worthless to us really as it won't get opened and will go to one of the kids eventually.

I notice that no-one has mentioned Glenkinchie from Pencaitland. Nice, mellow and smooth. Much prefer that to the harsh(to me) Islay malts.

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 15/04/2021 at 19:55, moshy said:

Be interesting to see what it goes for. I don't think I would have the will power to look at a bottle and not try it though 🙂

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 15/04/2021 at 20:48, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, Clynelish is very nice, with a little bit of a salty-savoury tang underpinning the easy-drinking sweetness. The distillery is well worth visiting too, if you're in the Brora area: the tasting session at the end matches samples* of various of their whiskies with locally-made, artisan, chocolates.

(*Pretty small ones, unfortunately...  :ermm: )

Glen Ord from Muir of Ord is a pretty good dram too. More Speyside in style but with lots of depth of flavour.

I remember buying a miniature bottle of Clynelish and enjoyed drinking it sitting on the beach near Brora, maybe it was the sense of place that turned Clynelish into a favourite of mine.

The name Brora means something else to me now which will still make me shudder for years to come 😞

Auld Reekin'
13 hours ago, inspector said:

I notice that no-one has mentioned Glenkinchie from Pencaitland. Nice, mellow and smooth. Much prefer that to the harsh(to me) Islay malts.

Nice, enjoyable, easy-drinking, dram.  :icon14:   I used to love the full-on peaty Islay whiskies, but it's instant-heartburn now if I go near them, so I'm happy with the occasional mellow Lowland, Speyside, or smooth Highland malt. Highland Park is as peaty as I can go these days.

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Glen Ord from Muir of Ord is a pretty good dram too. More Speyside in style but with lots of depth of flavour.

I remember buying a miniature bottle of Clynelish and enjoyed drinking it sitting on the beach near Brora, maybe it was the sense of place that turned Clynelish into a favourite of mine.

The name Brora means something else to me now which will still make me shudder for years to come 😞

Yeah, Glen Ord / Muir Of Ord / whatever-else-it's-been-called-over-the-years is another decent, easy-going, whisky - nothing about it to dislike.

Brora's a nice place (great campsite there), but I'll probably try to avoid the topic of football on future visits...   :ermm:

13 hours ago, inspector said:

glenkinchie is ok, you cant compare it to islay malts as they are the peatiest and imo harshest malts out there. try comparing it to a nice highland or speyside malt

14 hours ago, inspector said:

I found i needed a drop of water in that to open it up a bit.