Gino.

maroonlegions

I'd be inclined to wait a couple of months first and see where we go. Last thing we need especially under the current situation is to be handing out long deals. Ann Budge will (or should) be aware of fingers being burnt from past disasters like Martin, Oshaniwa, Sammon and more recently, Damour. It'll be interesting to see how he does against Hibs in the semi, whether he shows he can step up for the Premier next season, assuming we get up.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• maroonlegions

• Morgan

• wavydavy

19 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Maybe the management that signed Martin, Sammon etc had the same opportunities?

Aye that’s what it’ll be.

4 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Glad you concur.

Yep, because the management that signed ‘Martin, Sammon etc’ had seen them at Hearts in training every day and playing for the first team for 6 weeks before doing so. 🤪

Aye, that’s what it’ll be.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

There was talk of this when we signed him - that a year loan would be followed by a permanent deal. 

If we are promoted I think was part of the suggested deal.

Pasquale for King

As it’s been said we will be able to offer him a contract in January, we are his 10th club in 6 years but hopefully he will feel at home here and keep playing well. The semi final on that big pitch at Hampden against a young LB or that joke of a footballer Stevenson will give us a good insight into his potential to play in the top league. 

Allowayjambo1874
48 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sammon done a job, gave 100% and was moved out with not much fuss. 

Martin and Damour where big issues, but again down to poor scouting and the wrong type of deal ( high basic). 

Long contracts aren't an issue in terms of length, it's the player and value that is the issue. 

A fair bit of revisionism regards Sammon there, if he did a job he wouldn’t have been shipped out after 6 months and if you don’t think we were paying a percentage of his wages whilst he was at Partick & Motherwell then your mad. Incidentally it was Robbie that signed him. 

It’s very rare for Scottish football teams to offer four year deals these days and while no one can say you can’t we have seen what a folly it has been in the past. I think most people would be really disappointed if we started throwing these around again.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

As it’s been said we will be able to offer him a contract in January, we are his 10th club in 6 years but hopefully he will feel at home here and keep playing well. The semi final on that big pitch at Hampden against a young LB or that joke of a footballer Stevenson will give us a good insight into his potential to play in the top league. 

If he's up against him I'll be well happy.   Jubilantly so, before a ball is kicked. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sammon done a job, gave 100% and was moved out with not much fuss. 

Martin and Damour where big issues, but again down to poor scouting and the wrong type of deal ( high basic). 

Long contracts aren't an issue in terms of length, it's the player and value that is the issue. 

Not sure I agree with your opinion of sammon, personally I thought he was crap, the other two points you make I do agree with however 

Early signs are encouraging and he looks like a good wee player. Certainly seems to be the best out of the three new wingers, but he's only played against some poor teams so far and I'd say is yet to be tested against a proper defender. I'm wondering if Mulraney or Meshino would be just as effective in this league and most people on here were pretty unhappy with them in the Premiership... Would just be wary of handing out any long term contracts to any player at this stage, considering we don't know how they will perform against Premiership opposition. Hibs will be a massive test for us.

Hope he rips Stevenson a new one at Hampden though in which case I'll be on here screaming for us to offer him a deal haha :D

Edited by RM2607

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

If he's up against him I'll be well happy.   Jubilantly so, before a ball is kicked. 

I hope so, we’ve not targeted that useless little ***** nearly enough over the years, or Marciano who under crosses, long shots or pressure on back passes is most certainly “Rocky”. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

26 minutes ago, andrew said:

Hopefully we can get him signed up and get Kingsley, Smith and Irving tied down on long-term deals.

It would be great to frame all future deals this way. 

1 hour ago, RM2607 said:

Early signs are encouraging and he looks like a good wee player. Certainly seems to be the best out of the three new wingers, but he's only played against some poor teams so far and I'd say is yet to be tested against a proper defender. I'm wondering if Mulraney or Meshino would be just as effective in this league and most people on here were pretty unhappy with them in the Premiership... Would just be wary of handing out any long term contracts to any player at this stage, considering we don't know how they will perform against Premiership opposition. Hibs will be a massive test for us.

Hope he rips Stevenson a new one at Hampden though in which case I'll be on here screaming for us to offer him a deal haha :D

Agreed. Let's wait and see how he's looking after a dozen or so games (inc. the SCSF). If he can't do it on a regular basis in the Championship, then he's not good enough for the Premier League when (or if) we're promoted.

To be honest, I've not been overly impressed with any of three new wingers, but Ginnelly is the pick of the bunch so far.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not sure I agree with your opinion of sammon, personally I thought he was crap, the other two points you make I do agree with however 

Sammon was poor (done his best imo) but we've had hundreds of players like him in the past and will in the future, he's no reason not sign players permanently tho. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

A fair bit of revisionism regards Sammon there, if he did a job he wouldn’t have been shipped out after 6 months and if you don’t think we were paying a percentage of his wages whilst he was at Partick & Motherwell then your mad. Incidentally it was Robbie that signed him. 

It’s very rare for Scottish football teams to offer four year deals these days and while no one can say you can’t we have seen what a folly it has been in the past. I think most people would be really disappointed if we started throwing these around again.

Length is irrelevant, it's about value and how it's structured imo. 

Sammon was poor but tried his best, wasn't good enough then moved on- like hundreds of players before him. 

He's no reason not to sign players permanently. 

17 minutes ago, jambobas said:

Agreed. Let's wait and see how he's looking after a dozen or so games (inc. the SCSF). If he can't do it on a regular basis in the Championship, then he's not good enough for the Premier League when (or if) we're promoted.

To be honest, I've not been overly impressed with any of three new wingers, but Ginnelly is the pick of the bunch so far.

Yeah that's my worry. I can't help but think that folk would be looking at Mulraney and Meshino like 😍 if they were playing for us in this league. I'm quite surprised at the drop in quality to be honest. Dundee were absolute pony and they're meant to be our closest contender... 

Edited by RM2607

Gordon Ramsay

Good goal last week and has shown a willingness to get at the opposition defence. 

Needs to show consistency over a period of time though before we start talking about permanent deals. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Uche is an almost perfect example to use for the situation and a much more suitable one than Damour or Martin.

Uche was only here a short while and a new contract was awarded after only a handfful of starts.....which is what you are crying out for with JG.

I agree every signing is a gamble but it’s best we shorten those odds of it being a failure by waiting a few months and let him get a lot more games under his belt. There is no rush.

Can't agree. 

If a player does well we should sign them up, as long as the deal is structured correct there is no issue. 

Some will work out, some won't but for a club like ours if we wait to long we'll lose the player to another club if he plays well. 

The managers see them In Training and will have scouted them so unlike the fans won't just be going on game time. 

Every player on their own merits, past contracts to different  players are irrelevant. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can't agree. 

If a player does well we should sign them up, as long as the deal is structured correct there is no issue. 

Some will work out, some won't but for a club like ours if we wait to long we'll lose the player to another club if he plays well. 

The managers see them In Training and will have scouted them so unlike the fans won't just be going on game time. 

Every player on their own merits, past contracts to different  players are irrelevant. 

Was delighted when Uche signed an extension. It was definitely the right thing to do at the time. He had a really good run in his first season or so. Defenders were bouncing off him, even Rangers and Celtic were struggling to deal with him, he was holding the ball up well, creating chances and generally being a big wasp. He was unlucky with his injury, probably came back too early and his fitness really suffered for it. You could have mopped him up off the pitch at the end of some games he was that knackered. I think during that time his confidence took a battering, something has happened with Levein, and his head's not been in it. 

Edited by RM2607

Allowayjambo1874
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can't agree. 

Genuine question as it is an interesting point and one that quite a lot of fans (including myself) have said in the past. 

Who has came in on a loan deal, been successful, then left without us having a chance to sign him?

Milikovic is one but we did have first dibs on him, just couldn’t afford the wages. Zeefuik is another but again we wouldn’t pay the transfer fee/wages. The only other one I can recall is Fuller and again we had first dibs but wouldn’t/couldn’t pay the 850k his club wanted. 

Is there others that I have forgotten about? 

This might be one of those urban myths, if we don’t sign up a loan player he will snub us and leave for bigger and better when the deal is up. 

maroonlegions
14 minutes ago, RM2607 said:

Yeah that's my worry. I can't help but think that folk would be looking at Mulraney and Meshino like 😍 if they were playing for us in this league. I'm quite surprised at the drop in quality to be honest. Dundee were absolute pony and they're meant to be our closest contender... 

Its amazing that obvious talent , regardless of how shite the oppistion are , can be overlooked. 

He has that talent, it shown through in his performance. And lets not pretend that Dundee did not have their moments in from of our goal or indeed  in possession at times.   His goal was a utter peach, his movement and strike was class. But lets not put that down to a shite goalkeeper.

I have seen talented players play shite against shite too. 

NaturalOrder74

Much rather get him signed up can see he’s capable, better than him having 3 good months then other clubs sniffing about on January 

maroonlegions
8 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Much rather get him signed up can see he’s capable, better than him having 3 good months then other clubs sniffing about on January 

Agree, he plays great, is consistent, MOM awards , and  then bingo, in come  both arse cheeks with a bid ...  FTH. 

1 hour ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Genuine question as it is an interesting point and one that quite a lot of fans (including myself) have said in the past. 

Who has came in on a loan deal, been successful, then left without us having a chance to sign him?

Milikovic is one but we did have first dibs on him, just couldn’t afford the wages. Zeefuik is another but again we wouldn’t pay the transfer fee/wages. The only other one I can recall is Fuller and again we had first dibs but wouldn’t/couldn’t pay the 850k his club wanted. 

This might be one of those urban myths, if we don’t sign up a loan player he will snub us and leave for bigger and better when the deal is up. 

Jimmy Dunne?

48 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Its amazing that obvious talent , regardless of how shite the oppistion are , can be overlooked. 

He has that talent, it shown through in his performance. And lets not pretend that Dundee did not have their moments in from of our goal or indeed  in possession at times.   His goal was a utter peach, his movement and strike was class. But lets not put that down to a shite goalkeeper.

I have seen talented players play shite against shite too. 

Not at all - I said in my earlier comment that early signs are encouraging and that he looks like a good wee player, but I have only seen him play against Partick (he didn't do much there), Cowdenbeath, and Dundee. He's yet to play against a Hibs/Motherwell/Kilmarnock or any other average Premiership team who we'll be playing week in week out next year though, so until we see him do that it it's hard to tell if he's going to be of regular Hearts quality. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Tbh, as I said- what happened to other players is irrelevant. 

He's also out of contract so it's more about him signing for another club after January. 

If we as club want him, sign him up. If not don't. It might work, it might not. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, RM2607 said:

Was delighted when Uche signed an extension. It was definitely the right thing to do at the time. He had a really good run in his first season or so. Defenders were bouncing off him, even Rangers and Celtic were struggling to deal with him, he was holding the ball up well, creating chances and generally being a big wasp. He was unlucky with his injuriesy, probably came back too early and his fitness really suffered for it. You could have mopped him up off the pitch at the end of some games he was that knackered. I think during that time his confidence took a battering, something has happened with Levein, and his head's not been in it. 

Agree, and he left no bother as well. 

As is life, some players work out, some don't. Some are a mixed bag. 

We want to avoid a Martin / Damour / osh scenerio. 

Not signing players permanently because some players were shite before is bonkers. 

We've also seen this guy play for us, seen him train etc so we'll have good  knowledge of the player v some of the guys above as well. 

Also, imo Guys like Uche contributed, even guys like Anderson, Sammon etc did contribute at points. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

That’s that ****ed then 😡🤬

11 hours ago, Whatever said:

Maybe the management team, having watched him every day for the last 6 weeks have seen enough?

Maybe the management are far better placed to make such a call than those on here who have seen him a couple of times at most?

Maybe the management are confident of him continuing to perform and are worried about him attracting attention from elsewhere?

Maybe.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Looked like pulled thigh muscle.

Hopefully not a tear. If there was one player I didn’t want injured before that fixture 😔

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah. Walked off, so crutches hopefully are for the obvious reason of taking the weight off.

Could be ok for the semi. Robbie's not written off Gino completely there, so maybe a strain...

He won’t make the semi.

Still not seen any comments from Robbie about Jordan Roberts, reckon if he's missing as well it'll be Frear and White on the wings which doesn't excite me 

2 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

He won’t make the semi.

He hasn’t had any tests done yet so is unknown as to what the injury is. 

I admit, it doesn’t look good, but hopefully it will just be something minor and he makes it next week. Even off the bench if he can’t start. 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Boyce

Frear                        Wighton                 Walker

If Roberts isn't available. Wighton & Walker will switch, along with Wighton & Boyce changing positions.

If Roberts is ok. Swap him for Frear, and same applies for Wighton & Walker like above, in positional terms. 

We're not rigidly set up in the final 3rd like we have been in years past luckily. Gives Stevenson & Porteous something to play with.

Frear? He couldn’t trap a wet bag of cement in a phone box.

Gutted if he misses the semi.  Here’s hoping he’s ok but doesn’t look too good. If he can’t train then bad news for us. Hopefully Roberts is fit and Moore can step in.

Frear playing is a big call. Huge given last night.

Gordon Ramsay

Highly doubt he will play next week. Hopefully Roberts comes back into side as he's a better option than anyone else. 

Thought Frear was awful last night and I haven't seen anything from him in any of the games he's been involved. Small, weak and just generally crap. We do have Moore but don't rate him either. Runs about a lot but doesnt actually contribute much. 

Gordon,

Smith, Popescu Hallett, Kingsley

Lee, Halliday, Irvin

Walker

Roberts, Boyce, Wighton

Edited by Riccarton3

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Gordon,

Lee, Halliday, Irvin

Walker

Roberts, Boyce, Wighton

Pretty sure Haring will play.

3 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Pretty sure Haring will play.

Based on minutes Haring has had, intent from the start to take the initiative, I go with young Irvin.

Edited by Riccarton3

8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Gordon,

Lee, Halliday, Irvin

Walker

Roberts, Boyce, Wighton

Is that a 4-3-1-3 or more of a 4-3-3-1?

10 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Gordon,

Lee, Halliday, Irvin