Harry Cochrane

tartofmidlothian

I would love to see Harry fulfil his potential. After tonight I think it could still happen. Hopefully our manager and coaching staff bring out the best in him.

After watching him and scott macgill tonight, and with haring, Irving and halliday, I really dont see any reason for keeping olly Lee.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

After watching him and scott macgill tonight, and with haring, Irving and halliday, I really dont see any reason for keeping olly Lee.

Apart from he's under contract.

Thought Cochrane played well. He played some good balls and seemed stronger. Pleased for him. Need to keep giving him game time though. Feel like our kids have a lot more ability than our senior pros. Hopefully we’re setting up to try and maximise this. 

I like Harry. Seems to be chasing the game a lot though. Even when he shrugged the guy off and had that dodgy shot towards the end would have liked to see him pull away with pace rather than cleverly take contact. Maybe just a bit slow?

Mr Brightside

I thought he was fine last night and it’s a good base to build from. Personally I would drop Lee and Damour and give more time to Cochrane and Irving.

He could not make it with us at the consistent required level in the top flight. I would be deeply concerned for the kid if he can't make it against a bunch of diddies every week now.

I thought he looked pretty good tbh, I like the look of McGill too but Harry looked a bit ahead of him for me. Wants to move it forward and his ball to Moore was a tremendous pass.  

He's another that'd need a decent run to make a proper mark though, you can't come in for a game here and there and be at your best. Big season for him.

I think it's also worth remembering he's only 19 and just because he's not became what we hoped when he broke into the team, doesn't mean he's a write off.

He certainly grew into the game last night. I didn’t think he started particularly well though. Maybe the corner has been turned here. He’s had a pretty torrid last twelve months. A real talent when he gets his head down and grafts.I’d love to see him push on from this and be a regular start.

kingantti1874

The talent is still clear, he had a decent game but you can tell his confidence has taken a hit.. hopefully that game does him well.. he can definitely be a big player for us 

59 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He could not make it with us at the consistent required level in the top flight. I would be deeply concerned for the kid if he can't make it against a bunch of diddies every week now.

Making it against that level of opposition is one thing.

Pushing infront of the midfield options we have at present might be the issue.

At present he has experienced options in Haring, Halliday, Lee and Damour as well as Irving and now Mcgill for competition

He is the one of our midfield options that could play that more forward role but even there, Walker and Naismith stand in his way and add Connor Smith to that when he returns in January.

I don't doubt he could cut it against these diddies (like you, I'd be concerned if he can't) but once we get to proper competitive fixtures where winning is vital, he needs to be better than the other options available, if he hopes to prove himself at this level, let alone the league above.

I could envisage him going out on loan in January unless we have a few midfield injury problems or manage to ship a couple bodies out in the winter

Edited by davie1980

A_A wehatethehibs

Make or break season for him. At this level, the likes of Paterson, Walker, Nicholson etc cemented themselves as having the consistency for first team level. Mackay, Mchattie, and King did not. 

All these young boys today have their opportunity to put themselves in the contention for the premiership rebuild which will take place next summer.

Cochrane in his best games, oozed class with his first touch, would open up so much space for himself with one touch of the ball and a turn. At times he looked like every time he took possession he would put a bit of a wobble in the opposition legs, “left, right, through, over the top, we’re in trouble here where’s he going to play it?” He had that body language of a forward l”thinking midfielder that makes a defensive team uncertain - this happened repeatedly in games, which was why the fans got excited about him. He kept bringing that momentum shift. 

At this level we should be seeing that every week. His potential is infinitely higher than, workmen / job doers like Halliday and Lee but that’s the competition for his place, needs consistency to be able to push those guys out. Would love to see the Cochrane comeback this season. The boy could be some player if he gets his head in the game. 

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Loaned to Partick probably. Easy commute.

Hopefully , Thought he played one good ball last night but was poor for the most part otherwise.

Edited by sadj

Gordon Ramsay

One very good pass and a run with an awful shot at the end. Don't think he was anything special, highly doubt he will make it here. 

He's 19.  A year younger than Irving who is now starting to look like a class act.

Players develop at different speeds (not just at Hearts - what were Kevin Nisbet or Lawrence Shankland like at 19 compared to now for instance) and he's still like a pipe cleaner so not fully developed physically.

I thought he had a very good first half and understandably tired second. Hopefully he can develop this season as there's clearly loads of ability 

Didn’t think he was particularly good tbh. Thought he was sloppy, slow and gave the ball away. Had the chance to play Wighton in on goal 2nd half but over hit an easy pass by a mile.

First competitive game this season so will cut him some slack but as already said this is a big year for him.

Borders Jambo

Thought he had a decent game and it hopefully should be something to build on.  I also hope he makes it with us.  

Thought it was a comment made by Michael S that was true, that hopefully some of the promising youngsters will have more of a chance this year. 

Like others have said I thought we deteriorated when McGill went off and Lee came on.

Personally I was hoping to see Damour and Lee go this Summer, along with Bobby Z.  Thought the goalie on loan also looked decent as back up to Craig.

He’s young and still have hope he’ll kick on however didn’t think yesterday was one of his finer games. Think he grew into a little and the pass to Moore was a great one but always feel fans wear goggles when it comes to Cochrane, cause of his goal against Celtic.

Felt McGill looked a lot more solid on the ball, didn’t waste it and knuckled in to get it back. As I said above they’re both young so hopefully we can see them make a push.

Harry has an intelligent football head on his shoulders for a 19 year old, he reads the game very well along with delivering some nice passes etc. However, in my opinion he lacks a yard in pace and this could be his downfall in securing a regular first position. I honestly hope he proves me wrong and he kicks on when given the opportunity to do so.

Brighton Jambo

I think we as a set of fans are blinkered when it comes to Harry.  We are all desperate for him to come good because we have watched him rise though the ranks.  While that is commendable in my opinion he is nowhere near good enough for a Hearts midfielder.  Even last night he did very little, one decent pass aside, and was actually overshadowed by a younger player alongside him.

When Halliday, Irving, Haring are all fit there is no way he should be in our starting 11.

I would love to be provided totally wrong by the way.  

2 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

I thought he was fine last night and it’s a good base to build from. Personally I would drop Lee and Damour and give more time to Cochrane and Irving.

I doubt we'll see anything of Damour, and Lee will be on the bench mostly I think.

Personally I thought he had one fantastic pass last night but the game passed him by for the most part.

Maybe it's just because I had so high expectations of him but he does not seem to have kicked on at all.

Edited by dsk1210

39 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

Personally I thought he had one fantastic pass last night but the game passed him by for the most part.

Maybe it's just because I had so high expectations of him but he does not seem to have kicked on at all.

Outwith the pass, I thought he was quietly effective without being a stand out for his first 90 minutes in the first team it was okay. I thought the same about McGill. Confident enough on the ball and a promising start but like Cochrane, didn’t really stamp himself on the game. They’ll both struggle to get game time with Haring, Irving, Lee and Halliday all ahead of them, which in some ways is a really bad thing but it’s all about promotion this year and player development can take a back seat for a while

Thought he was decent last night, however he is clearly down the pecking order behind Haring, Irving, Lee & Halliday. He needs game time at this stage in his career & I’m not sure he’s going to get it here. A loan move could help, but I don’t think playing for another team in the Scottish Championship or below is going to help him develop. Maybe a season in English League 2 or even the National League would help toughen him up and learn the game - but have we the contacts down there and would anyone want him. The alternative is likely to be 20 minutes here and there off the bench with the hope of a break.

Fort Vallance
11 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

He did well. Reckon he has what it takes to make it with us?

Yes. Got in a few decent challenges as well as picking out some good passes. I'm optimistic.

complete control
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think we as a set of fans are blinkered when it comes to Harry.  We are all desperate for him to come good because we have watched him rise though the ranks.  While that is commendable in my opinion he is nowhere near good enough for a Hearts midfielder.  Even last night he did very little, one decent pass aside, and was actually overshadowed by a younger player alongside him.

When Halliday, Irving, Haring are all fit there is no way he should be in our starting 11.

Bang on 👍

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

One very good pass and a run with an awful shot at the end. Don't think he was anything special, highly doubt he will make it here. 

Bit surprised how much lavishing of praise in general has been done after last night.  

Got a result, that was the main thing, but the cobbling together of the side last night was never going to contribute to a polished performance.  

Some passable individual performances, the lad McGill puts himself about and looks a prospect, but for a few who’ve been around the first team a while, it was hard to see much authority in the general performance.  

Different team on Friday and you’ve got to naturally expect much more creativity and thoroughness. Some of our final balls, simple ones played around full backs, are overhit too often. 

The lads just made his first competitive start in christ knows how long ffs!!

We all know he has talent....certainly enough to play in the championship. He doesn't need to be world class to do that. With more game time this year, and with the experienced players around him like Haring, Halliday, Lee etc I think we'll start to see more of the ability we know is there. 

A year down the line, a year older, wiser, hopefully stronger, more experienced....and we'll see then if he's cut out for premier league football. Until then, give him a break.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

👍 good post, my thoughts as well 

portobellojambo1

He did alright last night. I know, from my last visit on here following the game against Cowdenbeath, that there are some fans who are possibly disappointed by the way we are winning. To me, after what I've watched for the last 2/3 seasons, the first thing we really had to do was get the team winning games and in competition mode so far we have managed that, 3 games played, 3 won, 9 points achieved, it is a perfect start in the correct direction. Much better than watching the team both playing poorly and losing. I'd imagine Robbie did learn a few things from last night, and that is a bonus. We may not have destroyed any of the opposition we have played so far, but we have beaten all of them. In addition to Cochrane, who looked very comfortable last night, I think we also now know we have a back up goalkeeper who looks dependable. There is still work to be done, but if while doing that work we continue to win football games it is difficult to be anything other than pleased.

Gordon Ramsay
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Bit surprised how much lavishing of praise in general has been done after last night.  

Got a result, that was the main thing, but the cobbling together of the side last night was never going to contribute to a polished performance.  

Some passable individual performances, the lad McGill puts himself about and looks a prospect, but for a few who’ve been around the first team a while, it was hard to see much authority in the general performance.  

Different team on Friday and you’ve got to naturally expect much more creativity and thoroughness. Some of our final balls, simple ones played around full backs, are overhit too often. 

Agreed. The performance was passable for me nothing more. Obviously taking into account the weaker team as well I suppose but I'm sure I heard the commentator say Raith were missing a fair few players too. 

We have to remember although we are a Championship team we have a bigger budget and better players than everyone else. Even our fringe players should be able to deal with most of what this league has to offer. 

There was a lot of overhit passes last night. Some of them actually quite simple to make as well.

Having said all of that I think (hope) we will see a better performance on Friday. 

loveofthegame
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Reminder that he is 19, he was 18 when we last played in the top flight. Simmer.

In saying that, I do get your point that this season is massive for him.

Edited by loveofthegame

13 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

We all know he has talent....certainly enough to play in the championship. He doesn't need to be world class to do that. With more game time this year, and with the experienced players around him like Haring, Halliday, Lee etc I think we'll start to see more of the ability we know is there. 

A year down the line, a year older, wiser, hopefully stronger, more experienced....and we'll see then if he's cut out for premier league football. Until then, give him a break.

My thoughts exactly.

Made some great passes throughout the second half. Not sure why you're picking on him. The pass you mention was just overdone. Great foresight for a 19 yo. 

Gordon Ramsay
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

This is going to sound like I'm picking on Harry, but I'm not. There was one towards the end of the game, where he needed a ten Yard pass to put Wighton in on goal, in acres of space. Overhit it. Got quite frustrated by that. Especially given his first half ball to Moore in contrast, showing his vision.

There were a lot, but that stuck in my mind as it was a good chance to put Wighton in and get the another. As it was...

Perfect opportunity to get Wighton in and he overcooked it something rotten. Wasn't a difficult pass to make either. 

Pass in the first half was sublime but we aren't Hibs. We don't dine out on one pass made at Ibrox. 

Cochrane will need to show more to make it at Hearts. 

37 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

And therein lies the problem. He’s got 4 ahead of him for what is essentially 2 places. Unless he produces a wonder performance when he gets his next chance and makes it impossible to leave him out he’s going to spend another season on the fringes. I’m hoping we get this championship wrapped up quickly so that guys like him can get a run in the team and see if they are really good enough to keep for next year. Or we could make a decision to play mostly youngsters in his bracket for all remaining cup games this season and put them under a bit of pressure (except the one coming up obviously)

Edited by JimmyCant

He looked keen to impress and did well but will need to improve on passing and decision making if he's to win a starting berth. 

The pass mentioned above and that tame effort when he could have played someone in show that he's still got a bit learning to do. 

Certainly looked a lot stronger. 

Irving is miles ahead of Cochrane ATM and if he doesn't start to progress (on last nights evidence) McGill could well pass him by also. With Halliday Harring Smith Walker Naismith Irving Lee & Damour (now add McGill) all able to play in a central midfield role Cochrane needs to work very hard on his game to be a regular starter. He'll get some game time and that's when not just his ability but also his character will be tested.

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I know it’s only his first start in ages but so far this is where I’m at. I think McGill looks more likely to make the breakthrough than Cochrane.

mind you what do I know last week I wrote off the goal machine  that is Wighton☹️

I don't really like ripping into players however I thought Cochrane and Brandon were the poorest on the pitch. Cochrane played one superb pass but couldn't complete a simple 5 yard pass. I can't see him being kept on past the end of this season.

Jamie Brandon gave the ball away that many times I lost count. His throw ins were infuriating must have lost possession from them five or six times. Whoever decided to offer Jamie a deal clearly made a mistake.

They may both improve over the season but I feel after last nights showing chances in the team will be limited.