Craig Wighton Goal Machine!

Danguar

It was mentioned by someone above. 

Flooding players forward when you have the ball is more important than any formation. Guys like Wighton and Naismith help do that well.

It's more the modern way now. 

We urgently need replacements for the wingers. 

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

He has been class for us this season.  If he keeps up his form and we get promoted I'd be happy to see him in the squad for the prem.  

I suppose we know Robbie is pretty ruthless, dropping guys like Reilly, Juanma, Ozturk, etc, so I've no worries that any player would be kept on for sentimentality's sake.  If he thinks Wighton has what it takes then that says something.

Tbh as well, he wouldn't be my first choice out wide but I reckon he's done more from that position than our other wingers bar ginnely.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

He has been class for us this season.  If he keeps up his form and we get promoted I'd be happy to see him in the squad for the prem.  

I suppose we know Robbie is pretty ruthless, dropping guys like Reilly, Juanma, Ozturk, etc, so I've no worries that any player would be kept on for sentimentality's sake.  If he thinks Wighton has what it takes then that says something.

Tbh as well, he wouldn't be my first choice out wide but I reckon he's done more from that position than our other wingers bar ginnely.

Agree. 

Also, I don't think he should be used solely out wide or be first choice out wide but it's good to have a player that can have an I part and is versatile. 

He'll also likely be decent value for money, his wages won't be near done if our rip earners. 

8 hours ago, Boris said:

Good post.

I, like many others, had my doubts about him, but happy to have those doubts disproved.

Hope he keeps it up and, dare I say, improves further!

Yassss! Every time I see you've quoted me I expect nothing more than a Peter Noone headshot!

58 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Busy tonight but poor in front of goal. Saving it for Saturday

His first touch and control tonight was abysmal. 

I'd never play him upfront on his tod tbh. I think he's alright playing of Boyce or someone but he's not got the physical presence to play upfront on his own imo. 

Really poor all round tonight by him. 

Should have buried his header in the first half when the goal was gaping at him. 

Tbf though he never hides and gives 100 per cent. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd never play him upfront on his tod tbh. I think he's alright playing of Boyce or someone but he's not got the physical presence to play upfront on his own imo. 

Think you’re right - hope Boyce will be fit for Dundee.

6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Really poor all round tonight by him. 

Should have buried his header in the first half when the goal was gaping at him. 

Tbf though he never hides and gives 100 per cent. 

Agreed!

That missed header is not at all what he needs with his fragile confidence.

Guest ToqueJambo

Wighton seems to be one of these "scores the tricky ones" strikers at the moment. Even taking into account some of the oppositions, his goal reel for this season has some top notch finishes - the kind Boyce really hasn't looked like scoring for example. Out of the two, I'd say Boyce has missed a lot more good chances. Feel there's a good potential partnership in Boyce and Wighton, especially with Naismith and Walker around them.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I agree, his best position imo is as part of a front two, he's not a lone striker, nor is he great playing wide.  He said himself when he joined us that the had been doing well for Dundee playing through the middle, then he was injured.  McCann changed the formation to one up top and Wighton ended up out wide when he returned from injury, which was never his best position.

To be fair, I think Robbie probably now realises that a front two of Boyce and Wighton will stand us in good stead in this league.  Tonight the injury to Boyce just meant that Wighton was left as the lone striker.  I think in that position, rather than serve as a target man who can receive the ball and hold it up, he is better trying to drag defenders out of position and open up spaces for others to exploit.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I agree, his best position imo is as part of a front two, he's not a lone striker, nor is he great playing wide.  He said himself when he joined us that the had been doing well for Dundee playing through the middle, then he was injured.  McCann changed the formation to one up top and Wighton ended up out wide when he returned from injury, which was never his best position.

To be fair, I think Robbie probably now realises that a front two of Boyce and Wighton will stand us in good stead in this league.  Tonight the injury to Boyce just meant that Wighton was left as the lone striker.  I think in that position, rather than serve as a target man who can receive the ball and hold it up, he is better trying to drag defenders out of position and open up spaces for others to exploit.

Boyce is the player I'm most disappointed with so far this season. He's a really good player and you can see his quality in patches. But I expected much more from him at this level in terms of finishing. Hoping he'll get his eye in like Sow seems to have done at Dundee and then there will be no stopping him.

40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Boyce is the player I'm most disappointed with so far this season. He's a really good player and you can see his quality in patches. But I expected much more from him at this level in terms of finishing. Hoping he'll get his eye in like Sow seems to have done at Dundee and then there will be no stopping him.

Either that or we do a swap deal with Dundee for Sow, bring Osman back to where he belongs!

2 hours ago, RobNox said:

Either that or we do a swap deal with Dundee for Sow, bring Osman back to where he belongs!

Wouldn’t be surprised if Wighton has scored more goals the last few seasons.

Starting to think Wighton is at his best coming on as a sub. Seems to make a real impact and scores for fun. However, as a starter, he seems to get confused with his role and ends up being ineffective. To be fair does play some nice flicks/lay offs so definitely a good footie brain in there 

Wighton has done far better than I’d expected, so well done to him. 

That said, I think this is his level & he shouldn’t be offered a new deal for next season.

ScandinavianJambo

With the right coaching Wighton is going to score up tp 10 goals a season in the SPL. To have him as an impact sub is always going to be a positive. If he grows to become more accurate then even better. Listening to the schizoid opinions on kickback is almost funny. One week he is our new Messiah and the next week he is the worst player who ever wore maroon. Let's stay real, he took a real knock in confidence when he missed THAT penalty.. We know the boy will miss absolute sitters, but he will also assist and score goal for fun. His inconsistent play is what you expect from wingers, but he works harder then Walker at any rate. Let's see how he fairs on Sat... I've got a sneaky feeling he will come good again. 

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

With the right coaching Wighton is going to score up tp 10 goals a season in the SPL. To have him as an impact sub is always going to be a positive. If he grows to become more accurate then even better. Listening to the schizoid opinions on kickback is almost funny. One week he is our new Messiah and the next week he is the worst player who ever wore maroon. Let's stay real, he took a real knock in confidence when he missed THAT penalty.. We know the boy will miss absolute sitters, but he will also assist and score goal for fun. His inconsistent play is what you expect from wingers, but he works harder then Walker at any rate. Let's see how he fairs on Sat... I've got a sneaky feeling he will come good again. 

For Wighton to score 10 goals he would need to start every single game IMO.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

2 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

You nailed your own post : he's not a winger and he proved against the Pars he's totally ineffective when he's asked to play there. 

Considering Wighton has played more games but less minutes than Boyce his stats are actually better than Boyce's. He has also played much less minutes on the park as a striker and his shot accuracy and goal conversion rates are better than Boyce. The Cup semi and final are not included in the BBC stats as they are technically last season competition. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 11.01.40.png

50 minutes ago, SevenTay said:

Considering Wighton has played more games but less minutes than Boyce his stats are actually better than Boyce's. He has also played much less minutes on the park as a striker and his shot accuracy and goal conversion rates are better than Boyce. The Cup semi and final are not included in the BBC stats as they are technically last season competition. 

just shows how stats can tell a false story! goals against arbroath & alloa don't make him a top player

If Wighton is the player some are making out to be let’s see how many clubs come forward in January and offer him a pre contract deal as we aren’t going to be offering him a new contract anytime soon.....if at all.

Reading some of the posts on here you’d have to expect Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Motherwell etc to all the be in the wings waiting to pounce on our hesitation in offering him an extension to his current deal.

There is no way a player who has apparently been ‘class’ for us won’t be fighting off offers from Premier League clubs next month........

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If Wighton is the player some are making out to be let’s see how many clubs come forward in January and offer him a pre contract deal as we aren’t going to be offering him a new contract anytime soon.....if at all.

Reading some of the posts on here you’d have to expect Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Motherwell etc to all the be in the wings waiting to pounce on our hesitation in offering him an extension to his current deal.

There is no way a player who has apparently been ‘class’ for us won’t be fighting off offers from Premier League clubs next month........

You answered your own point in the final sentence mate, he scored a cracker against the vermin,

That in itself shows he can do it against SPL opposition, and why a few sides will be trying to get him for **** all.,

48 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

You answered your own point in the final sentence mate, he scored a cracker against the vermin,

That in itself shows he can do it against SPL opposition, and why a few sides will be trying to get him for **** all.,

Ive no doubt a few sides will be in for him......

My bet it’s not any of those clubs listed above and at best it’ll be a Hamilton or Ross County when they are on the way down.

ScandinavianJambo
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You nailed your own post : he's not a winger and he proved against the Pars he's totally ineffective when he's asked to play there. 

I never said that he was a winger. I said that his inconsistency is what you expect from a winger, i.e. wingers are known for being inconsistent. But hey, do not let me hinder you bending of my words to suit your agenda. 

ScandinavianJambo
2 hours ago, SevenTay said:

Thank you for sharing! Now let us see if evidence is enough to convince the self possessed football experts in our support. Sadly I doubt it. 

Gorgie Boot boy
10 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I never said that he was a winger. I said that his inconsistency is what you expect from a winger, i.e. wingers are known for being inconsistent. But hey, do not let me hinder you bending of my words to suit your agenda. 

Someone played him wide right, we know who that is. That guy was taking the piss, Whighton ended up in his bed, a kicking playing for Arbroath

For him to be matching an international player, gives him the chance to survive the next cull.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

ScandinavianJambo
21 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Someone played him wide right, we know who that is. That guy was taking the piss, Whighton ended up in his bed, a kicking playing for Arbroath

For him to be matching an international player, gives him the chance to survive the next cull.

I think he has got it in him to become a decent player if he learns to deal with the pressure....and you are right, playing beside international players seems to contain him. 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I think he has got it in him to become a decent player if he learns to deal with the pressure....and you are right, playing beside international players seems to contain him. 

He is enjoying being the one to depend on, Robbie is giving him his chance to show he has something they can work on.

At best Whighton is still inexperienced, he is getting there and stands up a lot better than he used to.I like him because he is the come back kid at the minute.

6/10 plenty room to improve and change people opinions on him.

I wouldn’t be keeping players who, after 2.1/2 seasons at the club, is currently peaking at 6/10.

Our acceptance of distinctly average players is so sad. It’s because of utter gash signings like Craig Wighton that we are in this division.....you want to keep guys of that calibre then we’ll be back down sooner than we would ever imagine.

Craig Wighton is a Championship level player and that’s where he should stay and carve out a career. There is no shame in it.

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I wouldn’t be keeping players who, after 2.1/2 seasons at the club, is currently peaking at 6/10.

Our acceptance of distinctly average players is so sad. It’s because of utter gash signings like Craig Wighton that we are in this division.....you want to keep guys of that calibre then we’ll be back down sooner than we would ever imagine.

Craig Wighton is a Championship level player and that’s where he should stay and carve out a career. There is no shame in it.

6/10 for his come back , and it is still early days.

Shite before then. -0/10

Gillsland jack

I like Craig Wighton because he gives 100% every time he pulls the shirt on, he gets stuck in and gives his all, considering some of signings over the last decade or so, this is basic stuff I know but for that I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt...he is still young and he has definitely improved, maybe through the coaching from Robbie and Lee McCulloch in particular can bring him on, the basics are all there, lets just support him and help him with his confidence.

2 hours ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Make your posts clearer then. 

I didn't bend your words. 

But hey, do not let me hinder you bending of my words to suit your agenda. 

31 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

I like Craig Wighton because he gives 100% every time he pulls the shirt on, he gets stuck in and gives his all, considering some of signings over the last decade or so, this is basic stuff I know but for that I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt...he is still young and he has definitely improved, maybe through the coaching from Robbie and Lee McCulloch in particular can bring him on, the basics are all there, lets just support him and help him with his confidence.

Correct approach 👍

Gorgie Boot boy
18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Make your posts clearer then. 

I didn't bend your words. 

But hey, do not let me hinder you bending of my words to suit your agenda. 

Only wingers are inconsistent.Bet that sorted you out.

Your first thoughts were correct, you are facing a back tracker.

heartgarfunkel
3 hours ago, Gillsland jack said:

Absolutely - it's as simple as this.  A lot of people seem to get a bit obsessed with a player's perceived personality, social media presence, demeanour on the pitch, who signed them, appearance...

The lad is a forward player for Heart of Midlothian and played a pivotal part in putting the weeteam out of the Cup when all they thought they had to do was turn up and have 'class'.  Clearly hates it when he misses a chance and has the courage to keep having a go.

12 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t think CW even enjoys playing football......he looks nervous/anxious and petrified most of the time.

He can score but he’s a bit like Brotherston who played for NI. One minute he scores a decent goal, the next he trips over the ball. We seem to have a habit of keeping some players just because they scored against Hubz. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Is now really the time to have a go at Wighton? He's our top scorer and has been our most effective forward so far in a high-scoring team - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/heart-of-midlothian/top-scorers. Boyce has been more disappointing IMO. He can score but he's missed a lot of good chances this season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Craig Wighton definitely seems to do better coming off the bench than starting, he reminds me a bit like Wayne, Wayne, Super Wayne Foster in that respect, but anyway, fair play to him, he's doing alright, I think he'll finish top scorer, come the end of the season. imo

16 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Couldn’t agree more, not good enough for another step up. No shame in that , found his level in the championship

ScandinavianJambo
19 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

He is enjoying being the one to depend on, Robbie is giving him his chance to show he has something they can work on.

At best Whighton is still inexperienced, he is getting there and stands up a lot better than he used to.I like him because he is the come back kid at the minute.

6/10 plenty room to improve and change people opinions on him.

Come back kid indeed! Let's hope he puts a couple pat Dundee 👍