Scott Allan

Gorgieshed

Not a player I have any feeling towards other than that he plays for them.

Hope he’s well and can become happy despite this set back.

Even though he plays for the wrong side in Edinburgh I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope it's not true,  he's too young to be so I'll. Hope everything works out for the guy. 

While we don't have confirmation, the positive is the medical care that has picked this up. Whether at Hibs and / or through the NHS. 

Footballers are in good hands at senior clubs. 

I well remember being one of many critics of Jonah Lomu whose form seemed to be deteriorating week by week.  Turns out he was in fact heroic given that he was battling the kidney failure which ultimately killed him.

Best wishes to Scott Allan if he is fighting this disease.

Nice to see we have decent fans who can put club colours aside when approaching issues such as this. Was scrolling thru waiting for the (not so in this case) inevitable horrible & thoughtless comment. My wife is Type 1 and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Best of luck to him

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

Sir Geoffrey's career more or less mirrored my early life (I was born in 1965), and to me he was a total legend.

He was clearly a flawed genius, but to have witnessed one of his centuries was a thing of beauty.

He notched his 150th ton at Acklam Park in Middlesbrough. I worked in the town at the time, and I didn't bother putting in for a day's leave as the weather forecast was poor. No internet in those days, and when I arrived home and looked at Ceefax I was overjoyed and gutted in equal measure. It's one of the greatest regrets of my life that I spent that day sitting in a tax office, wondering whether there was any play a mile to the south.

Flawed genius? Maybe.

bloody minded, limited, successful beyond belief. Played for himself - primarily- but because it meant his team could succeed.

Gutted for him if true.
Don’t imagine maintaining a healthy blood glucose level would be easy during 45/90 minutes of exercise particularly when throwing the stress of professional football into the equation. 

Hopefully he can find a role somewhere in football. 

• 2 months later...

It's probably been mentioned here already but Danny McGrain was a highly successful diabetic footballer who had a long career. I also know the father of a young footballer on the books of a championship club in Scotland who has it and he manages his food intake etc around his football.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It's probably been mentioned here already but Danny McGrain was a highly successful diabetic footballer who had a long career. 

Yup and that was long before the rapid glucose testing and other things that have came along since the '70's.

Gary Mabbutt was type1 diabetic too and he played for Spurs and England

22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The story I saw on ITV news is there is no rush and no timescale for playing. 

His insurance company will block him from playing competitive football.  They are paying most his wages.