Scott Allan

Gorgieshed

Hoping its not true but heard his playing days are over?

Apparently heart issues and has severe diabetes. 

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm going to be. Type 1 diabetes doesn't have a severity scale, you have it or you don't - it's a constant juggle of judgement of insulin injections, blood sugar monitoring, carb counting, exercise adjustments. We control diabetes as best we can. 

I'm in awe of any pro sportsman with type 1 who reaches the top, the self discipline and control required is incredible. Scott Allan is among them. I don't know how they do it. 

It's a crying shame if a complication that comes despite his best efforts to control his diabetes or, worse, a second unrelated condition that is purely bad luck prematurely ends his career. 

I'm gutted for him. Club colours are irrelevant. 

Edited by blairdin

1 minute ago, blairdin said:

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm going to be. Type 1 diabetes doesn't have a severity scale, you have it or you don't - it's a constant juggle of judgement of insulin injections, blood sugar monitoring, carb counting, exercise adjustments. We control diabetes as best we can. 

I'm in awe of any pro sportsman with type 1 who reaches the top, the self discipline and control required is incredible. Scott Allan is among them. I don't know how they do it. 

It's a crying shame if a complication that comes despite his best efforts to control his diabetes or, worse, a second unrelated condition that is purely bad luck prematurely ends his career. 

Apologies, dont know enough about the condition and have obviously used the wrong term. 

7 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Apologies, dont know enough about the condition and have obviously used the wrong term. 

No apologies necessary. I think its important to make the point Scott Allan has dealt incredibly well with diabetes to get to the level he has.

The rumour has been doing the rounds the past few days. Doesn't matter what club he represents, it's an awful situation for his family and himself. As those above have said, it's a minor miracle he's played at the level he has. Who knows what heights he could have reached otherwise? 

Shame if true.

Must be be really hard reaching a certain level of something and not being able to continue it through health problems.

Hopefully somebody gives him a chance to continue in football if he can't play anymore.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Gone said:

Obviously it's all just rumours at the moment but some of the stuff on twitter - predominantly by Rangers fans - is disgusting.

Nothing new there, one of their own too. 
I was thinking yesterday that he seemed totally out the picture.

47 minutes ago, blairdin said:

He was apparently watching the Dundee United match at the weekend, scouting for the wee team instead of playing for them. 

Did Ron fire the scouts as well?

Diabetes is controllable but difficult to maintain for a high level sportsperson. It always amazed me that Sir Steve Redgrave won all thise Olympic rowing medals while being Typ 1.

For me, just getting out of bed some days is a chore.

6 hours ago, Gone said:

Obviously it's all just rumours at the moment but some of the stuff on twitter - predominantly by Rangers fans - is disgusting.

Twitter really has some amount of low life twats on it. The replies to most Hearts posts would testify to that. 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, Gone said:

No huge surprise there. They are utter filth. 

Best of health etc. But he's had a decent career. Will probably get fast tracked into coaching, scouting or punditry. Wouldn't say I'm exactly cut up by this revelation. His health is more important and in that respect, I wish him all the best. As for his football career? Meh.

His 'skint' employers will probably just spend a 6 figure sum to replace him.

8 hours ago, blairdin said:

Totally agree, I am a healthy type 1 diabetic. 

When I go for my regular check ups it is obvious to see the damage the disease does, when in the waiting rooms you see so many people with lower limbs missing.

And looking more frail than they should.

And as you say the constant thinking about diabetes just drains you.

Hope all is well Scott Allan 

Dreadful news if true. A player I always admired except when playing against us. Began to wonder if things were quite right for him last season as he appeared to have fallen out of favour down there. It would now appear there were medical reasons for his lack of playing time latterly.

Had some decent sized clubs. Hopefully for his own sake he’s been wise with the money, knowing that he might not have a long career as a player. Dealt a shite hand.

8 hours ago, Gone said:

That’s not difficult to believe. A scummier set of supporters you would be hard pushed to find.

3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Diabetes is controllable but difficult to maintain for a high level sportsperson. It always amazed me that Sir Steve Redgrave won all thise Olympic rowing medals while being Typ 1.

For me, just getting out of bed some days is a chore.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Good luck to SA, gutted for him.

It really is fantastic how some top level sportsmen are able to manage this condition. I've been lucky enough to have A1 health during most of my life, and some days I can't be arsed to walk down the street.

I remember Gary Mabbutt from back in the day. He had Type 1, but played for 16 years at Spurs, winning an FA Cup and a UEFA Cup, and he also got 16 England caps. Incredible! I believe it was injuries that eventually forced Mabbutt to retire from playing, not the diabetes.

I'd add Danny McGrain to the list. To think he, Gary Mabbutt and Sir Steve achieved what they did on pork insulin, before things like quick finger pricking and continuous glucose monitoring was around still blows my mind. 

Totally agree with and get you both. It's hard to explain to a non type 1 what's involved, but an autobiography by NHL player Max Domi called No Days Off is a good easy read and tries to. 

Back on topic, all the best to Scott Allan. 

It's a real shame for the lad and I sympathise being type 2 diabetic myself.  Type 1 is a whole different ball game and, as many others have already pointed out, getting to the top as an elite sportsman while balancing this illness is a testament to a persons courage and fortitude.  Some notables I can think of are Sir Steve Redgrave, Gary Mabbutt and of course Danny McGrain.

Watched a documentary about Kanu a while back. He adapted his whole playing style to mitigate playing with a heart condition. Apparently he was a speed demon, but doctors told him not to let his heart rate get above a certain level through aerobic exercise. Apparently that’s what was responsible for his almost unique languid style. Something like that, was interesting anyway, I’ll probably go away and google it now and realise I’ve got bits of that wrong. Anyway, only mildly related to the topic in hand.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

I have never seen a player fall down and scream at the slightest touch as much as  Scott Allan.

That said I hope his health improves.

That wee blond dick at Aberdeen will give him a run for his money in time. Wright? Or White, or something? Horrible wee cheating rat.

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

No huge surprise there. They are utter filth. 

Particularly when the percentage of people with type 1, or, indeed, any other health issue, will be reflected as much in the Rangers support as any other.

What goes through the minds of such ****wits?

10 hours ago, blairdin said:

Completely agree with everything said here.

Many sportsmen have managed to remain at the top of their profession while living with diabetes.

Danny McGrain was one that I can think of.

24 minutes ago, martoon said:

Particularly when the percentage of people with type 1, or, indeed, any other health issue, will be reflected as much in the Rangers support as any other.

What goes through the empty heads of such ****wits?

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I have never seen a player fall down and scream at the slightest touch as much as  Scott Allan.

That said I hope his health improves.

You've never seen John McGinn play?

Anyway best of luck to Scott Allan unless rumours are (hopefully) untrue and every game he plays for Hibs, he's off form.

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

Good luck to SA, gutted for him.

It really is fantastic how some top level sportsmen are able to manage this condition. I've been lucky enough to have A1 health during most of my life, and some days I can't be arsed to walk down the street.

I remember Gary Mabbutt from back in the day. He had Type 1, but played for 16 years at Spurs, winning an FA Cup and a UEFA Cup, and he also got 16 England caps. Incredible! I believe it was injuries that eventually forced Mabbutt to retire from playing, not the diabetes.

Am I right that Danny McGrain has diabetes.  It amazes me how many of our Olympic level athletes cope with Typ 1.

BTW, Geoff was my hero back in the day and have followed Yorkshire CCC ever since.  It was never about the runs, it was about not getting out.

Pity about Allen. Always liked him and wished at some points in the past he was playing for us. Far too good for them. We have a lack of quality International players for Scotland and he was one, given the right club and conditions, who should've been part of a lot of International squads.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

You've never seen John McGinn play?

Anyway best of luck to Scott Allan unless rumours are (hopefully) untrue and every game he plays for Hibs, he's off form.

Yip, McGinn throws his arse into an opponent and falls over. Scott Allan falls over and screams like a little girl. Both horrid cheats.

Anyway hopefully his health improves but hated him as a player. (Hopefully that's still ok).

12 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Hoping its not true but heard his playing days are over?

Apparently heart issues and has severe diabetes. 

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

If it a heart issue then well done to the medics for spotting this before it's too late.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

It's always a terrible thing when a young sportsman has to give up his career through illness, worse, perhaps, than a career ending injury as injuries are a part of football every player accepts as a possibility/probability, but no young person, sportsman or not, ever thinks they will contract a life-threatening condition so young. Scott Allan deserves great credit for his fortitude in coping with diabetes and continuing to play, as do all who cope so well with this very serious illness, and it will be extremely sad if he does have to end his playing career as a result of a second serious medical condition.

If, what appears to be the case, he has to stop playing, I do hope he is able to quickly come to terms with this huge disappointment and get on with his life in a fulfilling way, taking much from the fact that he has been blessed with a skill that has led to a career, however short, playing a game he, and many millions more, love to play.

Whether his career is over, or not, I wish him well in life and whatever battles he faces.

Real shame for him if he needs to pack it in due to illness. Always noticed that he seems to get subbed most games, maybe just does not have the energy to last 90 minutes. 

He will be out the semi final then...........

:leveinproblem:

Shame for the lad, hope he stays well and has no further complications. Would not wish that on anyone.