• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• GinRummy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Spellczech

19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Being honest can’t be bothered listening to it. I like Stendel but that was a shitty time I’m not keen to revisit

Stendal will be another Sergio - regarded as the right manager, but at the wrong time. 

I believe it is easy to be a "defensive" manager in Scotland as pretty much everyone else is doing it too. Basically we have the OF who can buy 11 players each worth more than about 35 of the Association's member squads. You have a few clubs which occasionally get a manager who puts together a good team for a season then it gets broken up, and you have 2-3 clubs which for some nonsensical reason are willing to spend more than they have to try to be 3rd in the league...

It is not so easy to be an attack-minded manager like Stendal as 1. the players cost more, 2. the officials only protect the OF attackers

Edited by Spellczech

36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Being honest can’t be bothered listening to it. I like Stendel but that was a shitty time I’m not keen to revisit

I feel the same way. 

45 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Stendal will be another Sergio - regarded as the right manager, but at the wrong time. 

I believe it is easy to be a "defensive" manager in Scotland as pretty much everyone else is doing it too. Basically we have the OF who can buy 11 players each worth more than about 35 of the Association's member squads. You have a few clubs which occasionally get a manager who puts together a good team for a season then it gets broken up, and you have 2-3 clubs which for some nonsensical reason are willing to spend more than they have to try to be 3rd in the league...

It is not so easy to be an attack-minded manager like Stendal as 1. the players cost more, 2. the officials only protect the OF attackers

No argument with point 2.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

36 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Think I’ll pass on listening to an ex manager that  played his part in us ending up in the championship.

Yeah, me too. I'll pobably wait until someone puts up a transcript, I think. I got the impression that he wasn't too fussed about not being kept on anyway tbh. I think he was relieved in the end, because he saw that he wasn't going to keep us up.

53 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Think I’ll pass on listening to an ex manager that  played his part in us ending up in the championship.

I would advise to avoid Sportsound in that case. 

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I am pretty fed up off watching defensive football. The recent Scotland v Israel match being a prime example. It’s a shame Stendall didn’t stay as he needed time to change the philosophy of the football being played and to try and do it half way through the season with Leveins squad is probably the reason why we got relegated. 

Dennis Reynolds
Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

I am pretty fed up off watching defensive football. The recent Scotland v Israel match being a prime example. It’s a shame Stendall didn’t stay as he needed time to change the philosophy of the football being played and to try and do it half way through the season with Leveins squad is probably the reason why we got relegated. 

I would tend to agree with this.

I think the interview will be free over the weekend if anyone fancies listening to it then. I probably won't to be honest. Fully backed his appointment and his style but when we really needed a result, he couldn't deliver. As another poster said, right manager, wrong time. Would much rather have a team willing to give it a go than sitting back and trying to scrape a win.

There is always going to be an element of 'what if' with Herr Stendel. The right man at the wrong time is definitely true.

I said it at the time and stick with it now. I wish we'd went for someone like Warnock at the time til the end of the season, and tapped Daniel up to join in summer. Of course with all that's happened in the world, that wasn't going to be all plain sailing, but I think it was clear to all that Stendel was right for the clubs ambitions, but not quite right for the state we were in.

26 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I would advise to avoid Sportsound in that case. 

😂Mind listening to that serial loser during the Livi v Rangers match.  Was slavering on about how Rangers needed a more attack minded midfielder on the pitch.  This coming from a manager who played Stevie McClean up top on his own!  A statue would have been just as useful.  He also engaged in lots of friendly bants with Chick Dung.  Had to turn the radio off. 

15 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Yep it is frustrating as hell that the club repeated the same error. First we did the Neilson > Cathro change in December which was a total change in approach and mindset, then we repeated the same mistake with Levein > Stendall! I've always said stupidity is not making a mistake, it is repeating it, but that is exactly what the club did... Even worse, neither Cathro nor Stendall was the most comfortable communicator (Stendall at least had the excuse that he was talking in his second language!) I always support our managers as I think it is nonsense to judge anyone on less than a year in the job,  but you do have to question why a leadership would think it possible to switch from defensive to attacking style of play mid-season...twice.

Byyy The Light
19 minutes ago, Locky said:

There is always going to be an element of 'what if' with Herr Stendel. The right man at the wrong time is definitely true.

I said it at the time and stick with it now. I wish we'd went for someone like Warnock at the time til the end of the season, and tapped Daniel up to join in summer. Of course with all that's happened in the world, that wasn't going to be all plain sailing, but I think it was clear to all that Stendel was right for the clubs ambitions, but not quite right for the state we were in.

I'm the same but would have given it to Stuart McCall just to get us safe

5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

😂Mind listening to that serial loser during the Livi v Rangers match.  Was slavering on about how Rangers needed a more attack minded midfielder on the pitch.  This coming from a manager who played Stevie McClean up top on his own!  A statue would have been just as useful.  He also engaged in lots of friendly bants with Chick Dung.  Had to turn the radio off. 

He was the same analyzing the Scotland v Israel game recently, I actually thought he was taking the utter pish but he truly believes what comes out his mouth.  Infuriating.  

7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He was the same analyzing the Scotland v Israel game recently, I actually thought he was taking the utter pish but he truly believes what comes out his mouth.  Infuriating.  

It will be even more infuriating when they roll the prick out for co-commenting on the semi against Hibs. 

1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

It will be even more infuriating when they roll the prick out for co-commenting on the semi against Hibs. 

Hearts TV will be a must for the Semi now you mention that :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

He obviously tried to play a completely different  style of game, but it probably should have been obvious to him after five minutes of his first game against St Johnstone that the team wasn’t remotely fit enough to play the high press. And it didn’t take opposing managers long to suss out the “high” part either.

Shame. He seemed like a really good guy and was an interesting appointment. Some really good performances against higher-profile opposition, but otherwise terrible results.

6 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

He knows about beating Hibs tbf.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

He knows about beating Hibs tbf.

Yes very true.  His playing record against Hibs was incredible.  Only something like 6 defeats in 50 odd matches I think.  Well if him being at the semi works as a good omen then I'm all for it. 

Gorgie Boot boy

The Stendel affair. I have nothing bad to say about the lad , he did not get a fair crack. No on knows how things would of turned out , if the last 8 games had been played. That is about it really. Wish him all the best. I will listen to the podcast when it is free, curious.

ToadKiller Dog

We needed a fire fighter rather than a revolutionary in the job , in hindsight the wrong appointment. 

He should have toned down and adapted quicker to the situation .

I still think  if the spfl corrupt squad hadn't stepped in and cut the season short we would have found a way to have stayed up by the skin of our teeth .

All the best to him his heart was in the right place .

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Totally agree. Remember he played Wighton up front as a centre forward on his own? The man is clueless. 

30 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Decent bloke but I don't buy any of this wrong time guff. 

He repeatedly picked poppadom paws when it was obvious the useless streak of pish couldn't catch a cold. 

That ultimately cost us dear and for that he is culpable.  

I won't go into the previous regime......

Exactly. And repeatedly sat the last man on the half way line whist we went game after game conceding multiple goals.

Gorgie Boot boy
22 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

We needed a fire fighter rather than a revolutionary in the job , in hindsight the wrong appointment. 

I still think  if the spfl corrupt squad hadn't stepped in and cut the season short we would have found a way to have stayed up by the skin of our teeth .

The Flying Shit. That guy was close to getting a visit. 'El Gato aye right more like El Buceta. Sorry ToadKiller i used your post by accident, the post was in reply to jonnothejambo.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Yep it is frustrating as hell that the club repeated the same error. First we did the Neilson > Cathro change in December which was a total change in approach and mindset, then we repeated the same mistake with Levein > Stendall! I've always said stupidity is not making a mistake, it is repeating it, but that is exactly what the club did... Even worse, neither Cathro nor Stendall was the most comfortable communicator (Stendall at least had the excuse that he was talking in his second language!) I always support our managers as I think it is nonsense to judge anyone on less than a year in the job,  but you do have to question why a leadership would think it possible to switch from defensive to attacking style of play mid-season...twice.

I'm 100% sure the Budge/Levein plan when Levein was relieved of his coaching role, was for MacPhee to get the gig. Budge immediately went on holiday, and said it would take 6 weeks to find a replacement.

It took a few weeks of poor results (after an initial win) before the search even started.

If MacPhee had worked out, the 'Bootroom' philosophy would have been vindicated.

I agree it was a massive change of direction, but I think Stendel's name was first touted and gained momentum on Kickback, so none of us are blameless!!

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I agree when Duncan Ferguson took over at Everton he simplified everything got the team motivated and got a couple of results.

Stendall did the opposite and even thinking back to the St Johnstone game I think we lost a goal at a corner as he changed to zonal marking and the St Johnstone player couldn’t believe his luck getting a free header at the front post.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

I'm 100% sure the Budge/Levein plan when Levein was relieved of his coaching role, was for MacPhee to get the gig. Budge immediately went on holiday, and said it would take 6 weeks to find a replacement.

It took a few weeks of poor results (after an initial win) before the search even started.

If MacPhee had worked out, the 'Bootroom' philosophy would have been vindicated.

I agree it was a massive change of direction, but I think Stendel's name was first touted and gained momentum on Kickback, so none of us are blameless!!

What were Hearts thinking about at that time, this part of the saga really annoys me. Due to inept or shite decision making we got into deeper trouble and ended up voted out. This is obviously one of the major reasons why fans are so pissed of with the Budge regime. Good post. Stendel chewing his tongue or lip on the touch line was hard to take, not blameless but he should of turned the job down.

part_time_jambo
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I think Albert Einstein said something similar. Great minds?

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

This more fitting to what occurred during the fated 5 year blue print plan

Not sure who to quote .

As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.  "this is like groundhog day," if they witness someone else repeat a mistake frequently. Repeating someone else's mistakes. Too much Salad.

been here before

I thought Stendal looked absolutely lost/shell shocked/out his dept most of the time like he couldnt believe what he'd walked into.

A couple of soundbites aside I saw very little about him that would have stopped us going down.

28 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Haha it's not exactly rocket science, I'm sure someone far stupider than Einstein said it before him too!

He had plenty of games to put us up the table, but he didn't gaf that other teams sussed him out, but no, I'll keep doing it, again and again. 

I thought the big news would have been something good. Liked Daniel a lot, and hope we see him back at some point in the future (firmly believe had he came in in the summer we'd have done well under him). 

If anyone is keen enough to do a write up of the interview for those of us who can't be arse with the PTSD of last season that would be grand :) 

4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

He's utterly shameless.

Any other self respecting person, would be embarrassed at what they did and keep their head down for a while.

Arrogant, brass-necked prick.

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He had plenty of games to put us up the table, but he didn't gaf that other teams sussed him out, but no, I'll keep doing it, again and again. 

I thought we were far better with Danny, the side were looking to deliver points. We had one of the worst scunnerous and of course generous at letting goals in keepers i have seen. One soaking night In falkirk told me everything i needed to know about Stendels path. I do not blame him as he came into the side a few games before the break and then afterwards had the dead pan hanging around, the inner politics of the saga are going to be one of the best reads, if the truth ever comes out. And of course the planet ended up being locked down. He forfeited payment, i still admire him as a person and have no reason to lay him out with blame apart from La Shat. Someone else's bad luck or stupidity had already delivered major blows before Danny got in. Who knows eh.

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I'm all in favour of experimentation, but not when your backs are up against the wall. Hearts don't need to be ground-breakers on the field or with our management choices, we just need to get a solid team out there. Hopefully that lesson has now been learned.

I think we all mis judged how bad things were when we sacked Levein, and I thought it was pretty bad.  The players were absolutely bereft of any confidence, we had a massive gaping hole in our midfield (i still think we do today) and at keys ends of the pitch we were absolute powder puff.

Just have to look at the Spurs doc on Amazon to see how hard it is to get players out of a rut. That group got to the Champions league final the year before. Yes we have/had good players in that squad but ability doesn't beat willingness in Scottish football, Hamilton, St Mirren etc. wanted it more.