Chimney Relined

jambolass1000

Wanting to get a new fireplace and gas fire and fireplace folk have said chimney would have to be relined due to the age of the current gas fire and will cost around £400.   Is this accurate info I've been told?

In all probability, yes. What type of fire do you have at the moment and what age is your property? 

If it is an older property, it is likely that it doesn't have a flue lining or, an inadequate flue lining. If the old lining was knackered, gas may leak back into your property. Remember the first thing these guys will think working with gas is safety. 

If it is a different type of fire,  it may need a different lining. I believe there are different classes of flue lining and gas is a class 2. Can't remember but I may be wrong on that. 

What I'd suggest if you want good solid info is to get 3 or 4 different quotes, if they tell you the same thing, that may put your mind at rest. 

Edited by Cruyff

7 hours ago, jambolass1000 said:

Wanting to get a new fireplace and gas fire and fireplace folk have said chimney would have to be relined due to the age of the current gas fire and will cost around £400.   Is this accurate info I've been told?

Have they even tested your flue? Anyway putting a copex liner down a chimney is a pain in the arse, so £400 isn't too bad. Hopefully it isn't your local Gypsie that's doing the work. 

Look up copex liner prices. They're very expensive to buy. 

Edited by ri Alban

Is it a living flame fire?

Anyway, make sure they put the right size of copex down your chimney. Whether it's 5, 6 or 7 inch. It's been years since I did it, so I can't remember. Ask  Scottish gas. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Governor Tarkin
59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is it a living flame fire?

Anyway, make sure they put the right size of copex down your chimney. Whether it's 5, 6 or 7 inch. It's been years since I did it, so I can't remember. Ask  Scottish gas. 👍

I got quoted over a grand for a ground floor flat in Gorgie a number of years ago. 

Pied the fire and stuck an extra radiator in.

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I got quoted over a grand for a ground floor flat in Gorgie a number of years ago. 

Pied the fire and stuck an extra radiator in.

Could you not take out the wall? 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Could you not take out the wall? 

It was on the communal wall.  If it had been the wall-head fireplace/chimney that would've been ideal.

My render is looking really good btw, for an amateur anyway. :) 👍

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was on the communal wall.  If it had been the wall-head fireplace/chimney that would've been ideal.

My render is looking really good btw, for an amateur anyway. :) 👍

What does it look like when the sun shines on it from the side? 

Governor Tarkin
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What does it look like when the sun shines on it from the side? 

Looks good. The scarified finish takes all the high spots out. It's a raking light on the wall so I paid a bit of attention to that. Shrubs going to hide most of it anyway but it's bice to at least try and get it right. 👍

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Looks good. The scarified finish takes all the high spots out. It's a raking light on the wall so I paid a bit of attention to that. Shrubs going to hide most of it anyway * but it's bice to at least try and get it right. 👍

* :spoton: Spur marks are a no no. 🤠