Oregon fires: Over 500,000 people flee dozens of infernos

JFK-1

Doubtless we're going to see more of this in the coming years as climate change cranks up.

Oregon, California and Washington have borne the brunt of the wildfires, which have in several cases destroyed entire towns. In California alone, at least 10 deaths have been confirmed. Some 4.4 million acres have been razed, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. That roughly equals 3,3 million football pitches.

To lend some further perspective to that, if this were in Scotland around 23% of the entire country would already have burned or be burning.

FULL ARTICLE

26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Doubtless we're going to see more of this in the coming years as climate change cranks up.

To lend some further perspective to that, if this were in Scotland around 23% of the entire country would already have burned or be burning.

FULL ARTICLE

I think Oregon and Co, could do with some of Scotland's rainfall. 

54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think Oregon and Co, could do with some of Scotland's rainfall. 

My brother lives over in Portland  and they do actually have a similar climate to Scotland, getting their fair share of rain. But, you're right, further south, in California, for example,  I think it's a different story.....

Their leader says that climate change is a hoax and scaremongering. Most of them seem to believe him, despite the damage being done, globally, also landing in their own back yard.

Usually, American people could be excused for not seeing the adverse results of their governments policy, as it's frequently an overseas calamity. This is right in front of their noses and it seems to make no difference to the "nothing to do with us" mindset.

2 hours ago, Captain Price said:

I’m sure a ****ing gender reveal has a significant part to play in this. 

Absolute ****ing idiots. 

https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror-now/in-focus/article/gender-reveal-party-caused-california-wildfires-hundreds-of-homes-and-acres-of-green-cover-gutted-in-oregon/650322

Gender reveal parties. :vrface::vrface::vrface:

California is going to snap of and slide into the sea sooner or later anyways.

Florida is literally dissolving as the bedrock is limestone and acid rain is eating away at it. Thousands of sinkholes riddle the state.

Then there's Yellowstone, which is overdue a massive caldera eruption.

:fonzie:

We are witnessing the end of nature as we know it.

Various species  are on the verge of extinction ,  global weather patterns all over the place.  

We have had a couple o our hot summer fires also recently. Presently we have a considerable smoke haze in the sky from fires south of us in USA. Its the price one pays for living in warm summer temperatures with beautiful grasslands and forests.

8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

My brother lives over in Portland  and they do actually have a similar climate to Scotland, getting their fair share of rain. But, you're right, further south, in California, for example,  I think it's a different story.....

It must be hellish,your house constantly under threat. I think I'd end up living in a motor home.

And I hope everyone is OK. 

Edited by ri Alban

57 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It must be hellish,your house constantly under threat. I think I'd end up living in a motor home.

And I hope everyone is OK. 

Exactly. At least with a motor home you have the option of heading away from trouble.  Yes, all good thanks rA.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly. At least with a motor home you have the option of heading away from trouble.  Yes, all good thanks rA.

👍 Good! 

27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Check the news broadcasts and see how many people use that option and mistime departure and get caught. We had one when I lived in Osoyoos. We  were on the golf course and could see the main highway and there was lots of smoke rising. We didn't really think it would be a dangerous fire. So wrong. It was a large semi had crashed and set the dry grass which led to the forest and a major fire literally in minutes. We lived in trepidation for a few days if the wind changed direction our homes could be in danger because of the lush mountains directly behind us, if the flames  didn't get us the smoke may. Having lived in the area now for twenty eight years,  you sort of get the attitude if she burns she burns. Its  understandable when you consider our temperatures have been in excess of thirty degrees most days for at least a couple of months.

Edited by Sharpie

6 hours ago, Cade said:

100 day old parties :vrface:

Hadn't heard of this one so just searched for info. Appears it was prevalent in Eastern Asia when it actually was a milestone that your baby managed to survive to that age.

Just an excuse for more presents these days, I would imagine.

40 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hadn't heard of this one so just searched for info. Appears it was prevalent in Eastern Asia when it actually was a milestone that your baby managed to survive to that age.

Just an excuse for more presents these days, I would imagine.

Some of family have started this pish

:muggy:

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Some of family have started this pish

:muggy:

It's the gradual Americanization of the UK, like the school dance now the Prom or Tick or Treating.

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I had never heard of these before.

Being an old cynic, when I first encountered the term I assumed it was a new phenomenon where adults met up and announced their gender changes to like-minded people.

:vrface:

A Boy Named Crow

My in-laws live in Oregon, earlier this year they visited us in Australia during the utterly horrific bushfire season. My gut tells me it's the MIL, she did seem overly interested in our BBQ...

7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Check the news broadcasts and see how many people use that option and mistime departure and get caught. We had one when I lived in Osoyoos. We  were on the golf course and could see the main highway and there was lots of smoke rising. We didn't really think it would be a dangerous fire. So wrong. It was a large semi had crashed and set the dry grass which led to the forest and a major fire literally in minutes. We lived in trepidation for a few days if the wind changed direction our homes could be in danger because of the lush mountains directly behind us, if the flames  didn't get us the smoke may. Having lived in the area now for twenty eight years,  you sort of get the attitude if she burns she burns. Its  understandable when you consider our temperatures have been in excess of thirty degrees most days for at least a couple of months.

Yes, I can understand it must be difficult to know what the best call to make is, given the rapid spread and the danger of both fire and smoke. Hope you are all safe.

California Just Incinerated the State's Wildfire Records

Seems they're also seeing more than ever before of an unusual feature. A phenomena being labelled firenados.

I got diverted by the highway patrol a number of years ago driving Big Sur in California because of a fire. A small one by their standards but even from a decent distance you could feel the heat on your face and drove through smoke for quite a distance. I can only imagine what these are like. 

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I can understand it must be difficult to know what the best call to make is, given the rapid spread and the danger of both fire and smoke. Hope you are all safe.

Yes all is well firewise here,was talking to my son i in Vancouver and h was saying it was a weird night the sky funny colors from I guess the Oregon smoke.

I was hoping you would post again because I realised my post about watching the news could be taken as being chippy and I wasn't just the way it came out.

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the gradual Americanization of the UK, like the school dance now the Prom or Tick or Treating.

Anything for Halloween, is that no more. And all we had was our Yoothie Disco, anaw. Prom! , that would have been carnage.  :D

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I see what you did there!

But I agree! Just look at our Prime Minister. He is our version of Trump.

You have all the 'anti-maskers' now too which also a bit American-y.

I even had one guy (whom I went to school with) tell me that Deaths were being registered as Covid to get more money out of the patients, seemingly unaware that the NHS is free. He then preceded to post clearly American articles about the costs of health care. 

I feel sorry for the States / people affected but when you continue to ignore the evidence of climate change, then you reap what you sow. 

4 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

*I see what you did there!

But I agree! Just look at our Prime Minister. He is our version of Trump.

You have all the 'anti-maskers' now too which also a bit American-y.

I even had one guy (whom I went to school with) tell me that Deaths were being registered as Covid to get more money out of the patients, seemingly unaware that the NHS is free. He then preceded to post clearly American articles about the costs of health care. 

I feel sorry for the States / people affected but when you continue to ignore the evidence of climate change, then you reap what you sow. 

*:D

Edited by ri Alban

Салатные палочки
On 11/09/2020 at 18:22, Ray Gin said:

west_coast.jpg?fit=crop&fm=pjpg&h=417&ix

EhkQG6DX0AAS0jI?format=png&name=small

EhoNgDoWkAAawh1?format=jpg&name=900x900

EhoNhVqWoAAWtQH?format=jpg&name=small

california-wildfires-pics-1.jpg?fit=scal

That last one :wow:

Looks like it was taken on Mars. 

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

CPC, part of the SPN rightwing thinktank group :yawn:

What's that got do with the content???? 

The message is correct.

Got up this morning and the sun was a big red ball in a cloudy sky. It transpired it was actually dense smoke from the south Washington and Oregon. Now just past 1100am, still seems like a  cloudy day bit it isn't. Not a c risis but does the President who handled the Corona virus crisis without even trying, a fiery holocaust should be something he will deal with after lunch, gee the Americans are so lucky, at least thats what Trump tells them. 

Edited by Sharpie

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Got up this morning and the sun was a big red ball in a cloudy sky. It transpired it was actually dense smoke from the south Washington and Oregon. Now just past 1100am, still seems like a  cloudy day bit it isn't. Not a c risis but does the President who handled the Corona virus crisis without even trying, a fiery holocaust should be something he will deal with after lunch, gee the Americans are so lucky, at least thats what Trump tells them. 

He’s still blaming the Democrat governors for “bad forest management” isn’t he?

Anything but climate change. 
Just like the Brazilian president, absolutely thick as the hills.

Mother Nature has a job on her hands with ignorance of Trump, and his ilk, to compete against.

9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

He’s still blaming the Democrat governors for “bad forest management” isn’t he?

Anything but climate change. 

There's absolutely no doubt about it,  "bad forest management" has a huge part to play in fires like these, no matter what government is to blame. 

Trump has also been citing forest management as the cause of the fires. The good news is that the federal government own 57% of the Californian forests (see link below) so it's just a matter of time before he gets to grip with the problem.

Or he could continue to do **** all, and blame everything on the Dems.

Time will tell which option he chooses. 🤔

https://ucanr.edu/sites/forestry/California_forests/

Meant to quote @Dawnrazor

Edited by fancy a brew

2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Trump has also been citing forest management as the cause of the fires. The good news is that the federal government own 57% of the Californian forests (see link below) so it's just a matter of time before he gets to grip with the problem.

Or he could continue to do **** all, and blame everything on the Dems.

Time will tell which option he chooses. 🤔

https://ucanr.edu/sites/forestry/California_forests/

Meant to quote @Dawnrazor

I'm not arguing alongside Trump, and I'm not arguing the politics of it, but poor/bad or no forest management and the fuel load of debris that is allowed to build up is a huge factor in fires like these getting to the size and causing the destruction that they do. I hope whoever is in charge gets it sorted be they Republicans or Democrats.

So, the President of the United States of America thinks that;

Wildfires happen because trees spontaneously explode and set fire to everything.

And that because it's autumn, the colder weather will put the fires out.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

So, the President of the United States of America thinks that;

Wildfires happen because trees spontaneously explode and set fire to everything.

And that because it's autumn, the colder weather will put the fires out.

Science doesn't know that it won't.