Hibs out of ER? Nah. (titled changed)

gorgieheart

been here before
4 hours ago, stirlo said:

Were there ever plans put forward for Hearts to move to Straiton to a stadium of our own? I remember at the time of Wallace Mercer Hermiston and Millerhill both being mentioned as possible sites (and possibly Ingliston too). Then I remember Hibs had plans for a move to Straiton and perhaps there was some chat of ground-sharing. But did Hearts ever come out with plans for their own stadium at Straiton? Totally agree that it's great that none of these happened and we stayed at Tynecastle.

20180917_103640.thumb.jpg.b7c2f5ce76316c286aa5125e266c46b9.jpg20180917_103731.thumb.jpg.cc0b15acaab28935f4c001be2f3e796b.jpg20180917_103813.thumb.jpg.82893774f6573d9db442d9d673f504c0.jpg

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

20180917_103640.thumb.jpg.b7c2f5ce76316c286aa5125e266c46b9.jpg20180917_103731.thumb.jpg.cc0b15acaab28935f4c001be2f3e796b.jpg20180917_103813.thumb.jpg.82893774f6573d9db442d9d673f504c0.jpg

It's always strange seeing references to the Taylor Report, which I think i'm right in saying was never actually passed into law in Scotland? But we complied with anyway out of a sense of right/wrong.

2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Ron the con bulldozed Easter Road in the next few years. 

Hey, that's prime Lochend real estate.

Has to be Tynie for me. The same way I feel hearing The Levellers or a cup game under the lights, its always the whole shebang. A Wendy's pie, a game in the pissing rain, a probable defeat, and trusting up Gorgie.

My heart(s) belongs in Gorgie and that's where it always stays

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Hibs out of ER? Nah. (titled changed)

I find it slightly amusing that anyone could be so against a stadium on the Edge of town, yet when tynecastle was built, it was on the edge of town.

for our great grandkids the Toni Maccaroni will be solidly inside Edinburgh and Livi can change their name back 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

I find it slightly amusing that anyone could be so against a stadium on the Edge of town, yet when tynecastle was built, it was on the edge of town.

for our great grandkids the Toni Maccaroni will be solidly inside Edinburgh and Livi can change their name back 

😂

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

You heard of the green belt

I’m with @tian447 on this one. Doesn’t really matter that Tynecastle was on the edge of the city a century ago, in all of our lifetimes it has been in the city. I share that nostalgic feeling travelling in, and it’s a big part of the experience for me.

As someone who drives to tynecastle via the bypass and doesn't go to any of the pubs, the suggestion of a smart new ground with lots of good parking right next to the bypass should be appealing. But the thought of it turning into St Johnstone's shambles makes me very glad we didn't go down that route. (The last time I parked in their car park it cost£5.00 and I didn't manage to get out till just after 6.00 pm). Gorgie for me every time.

2 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

I’m with @tian447 on this one. Doesn’t really matter that Tynecastle was on the edge of the city a century ago, in all of our lifetimes it has been in the city. I share that nostalgic feeling travelling in, and it’s a big part of the experience for me.

Agreed. I, along with thousands of fellow supporters can WALK to Tynecastle. That match-day experience can never be replicated with re-location in the wilderness.

been here before
14 minutes ago, 1953 said:

As someone who drives to tynecastle via the bypass and doesn't go to any of the pubs, the suggestion of a smart new ground with lots of good parking right next to the bypass should be appealing. But the thought of it turning into St Johnstone's shambles makes me very glad we didn't go down that route. (The last time I parked in their car park it cost£5.00 and I didn't manage to get out till just after 6.00 pm). Gorgie for me every time.

I think some of that is down to the polis. When they have that gate open that takes you rigjt into the motorway then its a great arrangement. Ive driven back from Perth quicker than its taken me to get out and walk home from Tynecastle sometimes.

Its when its closed and all the traffic is fired back up toward the dual carriageway its brutal.

Fort Vallance
23 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I recall when there were plans to move the club to Straiton.  I was totally against any move from Tynecaste and West Edinburgh in general.  I was so happy when the move fell through and Hearts remained at Tynecastle and a big thank you to AB + FOH for all the improvements.

The Pieman's smoke & mirrors with "Not Fit For Purpose" and a move to Murrayfield would have been the death of the club.

It might go against the grain for a lot of people but if it hadn't been for Vlad that's exactly what would have happened.

30 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

It might go against the grain for a lot of people but if it hadn't been for Vlad that's exactly what would have happened.

I don’t think many, at the time, were unhappy when Vlad appeared with other peoples’ money to buy us. 

i’ve always been open to move to a new stadium at some point if it added up. 

18 hours ago, jambostuart said:

Has to be Tynie for me. The same way I feel hearing The Levellers or a cup game under the lights, its always the whole shebang. A Wendy's pie, a game in the pissing rain, a probable defeat, and trusting up Gorgie.

My heart(s) belongs in Gorgie and that's where it always stays

Totally agree, Gorgie always has that romantic nostalgia for me, probably because it's been a big part of my 42 years on this planet. My Dad taking me and my brother to the unofficial Hearts shop (forget it's name but it was discussed on here a few weeks back)to get our new Hearts tops before going down to my Grans in Boswell. Walking up Gorgie Rd with my Dad as a kid to a game, or later on in my teens up the old railway and into the Roseburn for a pint with him and his pals. When it wasn't with my Oldman it was the train in with my mates, a carryout from the cornershop then up the park behind Lidils to drink it, always 5 minutes late into the game much to the annoyance of the folk on the end of row 4 section B. A few years break but then it was still the train in but a walk up to the Orwell for pre-match libations, walking down the road with a great bunch of folk, and some absolutely brilliant nights after the game back at the hotel (2006 Cup final weekend was epic!!). When that closed it was a few different places before settling at the West End and getting taxis up (not quite the same but meant longer in the boozer). More recently it's been meeting my brother and some mates at Haymarket, pub, carryoot and stoat up "old familiar".

A very brief overview of some 37+ years but the one constant in it has always been Dalry and Gorgie! As much as it has changed its always remained the same, that moment you turn from Dalry onto Gorgie and the crowds get busier, the noise more intense, the smell of the brewery stronger in your nostrils, the brief glimpses of the floodlights above the buildings is something very special! Then when you walk under the bridge and you look up McLeod St it and catch a glimpse of what's been calling you, what's been tugging at your heart strings ..... A feeling of belonging, that badge, that name ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️.

To me that would all be lost at an out of town venue in the middle of a retail park, it just wouldn't have that same appeal, that comfy feeling of being part of the community. 

Horatio Caine
6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

You heard of the green belt

Was that not what Mhank supporting teacher wanks used to hit us with when we didn't do our homework?

3 hours ago, 1953 said:

Saints ground is one huge carry on to get out could be better managed imho, a fiver as well.

3 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Totally agree, Gorgie always has that romantic nostalgia for me, probably because it's been a big part of my 42 years on this planet. My Dad taking me and my brother to the unofficial Hearts shop (forget it's name but it was discussed on here a few weeks back)to get our new Hearts tops before going down to my Grans in Boswell. Walking up Gorgie Rd with my Dad as a kid to a game, or later on in my teens up the old railway and into the Roseburn for a pint with him and his pals. When it wasn't with my Oldman it was the train in with my mates, a carryout from the cornershop then up the park behind Lidils to drink it, always 5 minutes late into the game much to the annoyance of the folk on the end of row 4 section B. A few years break but then it was still the train in but a walk up to the Orwell for pre-match libations, walking down the road with a great bunch of folk, and some absolutely brilliant nights after the game back at the hotel (2006 Cup final weekend was epic!!). When that closed it was a few different places before settling at the West End and getting taxis up (not quite the same but meant longer in the boozer). More recently it's been meeting my brother and some mates at Haymarket, pub, carryoot and stoat up "old familiar".

A very brief overview of some 37+ years but the one constant in it has always been Dalry and Gorgie! As much as it has changed its always remained the same, that moment you turn from Dalry onto Gorgie and the crowds get busier, the noise more intense, the smell of the brewery stronger in your nostrils, the brief glimpses of the floodlights above the buildings is something very special! Then when you walk under the bridge and you look up McLeod St it and catch a glimpse of what's been calling you, what's been tugging at your heart strings ..... A feeling of belonging, that badge, that name ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️.

To me that would all be lost at an out of town venue in the middle of a retail park, it just wouldn't have that same appeal, that comfy feeling of being part of the community. 

Absolutely bang on the cash.

And he’s not praying!
4 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Tremendous post.

Gorgie rules.

Fort Vallance
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t think many, at the time, were unhappy when Vlad appeared with other peoples’ money to buy us. 

i’ve always been open to move to a new stadium at some point if it added up. 

Not going to get into the who's money, banking crash thing at this point. But a new stadium would only ever be a totally last resort. You're never going to get a new stadium in Gorgie. Hearts away from Gorgie. Nah, . 

Could Hibs sell the Giro then buy land near their training barn and build a lovely breeze block stadium there?

Given that we're going to boycott them, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to us in terms of travelling to derbies.

It would have the advantage that we could pretty much forget about them completely.

Fort Vallance
On 05/09/2020 at 07:21, doctor jambo said:

Back to what ? Meadowbank or all the way back to Ferranti. And how many names has the Spaghettihad had. The best one was the Intelligent Finance arena the season they went bust.

On 05/09/2020 at 07:21, doctor jambo said:

I'm sure I read that when Hearts first moved OUT to Tynecastle in 1884? The city limit was Haymarket and that many supporters complained about being outside the city. Apparently the club paid for special horse drawn coaches/trams to take supporters out. If we ever did relocate to further out in the green belt the pubs would soon follow as they are in the business of making money. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 23:44, tian447 said:

Still awaiting a response from @davie1980 btw because apparently I'm at it...

:whistling: 

Wow man, you're a bit creepy, aren't you?

I mean that conversation is nearly 2 weeks old and I'd forgotten all about it until you tagged me. Bit weird, no!?

Anyway, if you care to point out what post I am supposed to be responding to I'll gladly oblige.

The last post you made which was directed at me, I responded to in full, on the 4th.

I do vaguely remember you making another profanity filled response to that post, one that maybe hinted at a tired old Kickback cliche, regards my football leaning.

But that post quickly disappeared and I assumed you thought better of it because it made you look like a petty little man.

Perhaps you should ask the mods where this post is, that you are awaiting a response to.

While you do that, I'll be busy peeking out my blinds making sure you aren't standing in my driveway. Weirdo.

I just found it funny that you decided to have a pop at me, suggesting I was at it.  I didn't hint toward your leanings, but you certainly suggested that I was somehow taking the piss.  I have better things to do than accuse people of being Hibs fans... not sure what that would even achieve.

I'm not in your driveway, but if you pop the kettle on I'd happily come and awkwardly linger.  The blinds are a lovely colour though :thumbsup: 

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

I just found it funny that you decided to have a pop at me, suggesting I was at it.  I didn't hint toward your leanings, but you certainly suggested that I was somehow taking the piss.  I have better things to do than accuse people of being Hibs fans... not sure what that would even achieve.

I'm not in your driveway, but if you pop the kettle on I'd happily come and awkwardly linger.  The blinds are a lovely colour though :thumbsup: 

“Awkwardly linger”
😀

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

The "you're at it" bit was intended as a joke.

You'd said Hibs fans no doubt felt the same. Come on now, it's Leith/Easter road we're talking about here.

But aye, I still maintain you are a little excitable, if the Tynie arms gives you goosebumps but each to their own, as long as you're having fun mate.

On 05/09/2020 at 21:54, Kiwidoug said:

Could Hibs sell the Giro then buy land near their training barn and build a lovely breeze block stadium there?

Given that we're going to boycott them, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to us in terms of travelling to derbies.

It would have the advantage that we could pretty much forget about them completely.

Forget about who?