Hibs out of ER? Nah. (titled changed)

gorgieheart

Just picked up an interesting nugget on Twitter about the Leith Brazil looking at selling up and shipping out to a site near the bypass.

Anyone aware of any such a thing ?  

Turns out the story is about Dunfermline moving out to near the Amazon warehouse...

:cornette:

1 minute ago, gorgieheart said:

Turns out the story is about Dunfermline moving out to near the Amazon warehouse...

As Uncle Albert said its a rumour , rodney, a rumour.

5 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Lasted 3 minutes. 🥴

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

do you have a link for the bit on twitter, even though its Dunfermline not Hibs, I am interested in that.

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lasted 3 minutes. 🥴

More than usual....  :robboyas:

Even though this looks to be bollocks, Hearts and Hibs should never ever move from their stadiums. 

They are ingrained into those parts of Edinburgh, and being slap bang in the middle of a city is an experience like no other.  The match day feeling of going between a couple of pubs, and then strolling down to Tynecastle on a matchday still gives me goosebumps, regardless of what game it is.  It is an indescribable feeling that words cannot do justice.  I imagine Hibs fans going to Easter Road feel much the same.

Selling your stadium, home for multiple decades, sometimes even over a century, and moving to a new build stadium is just wrong.  The Stadium is part of the club, part of the identity.  When the option is being right in the heart of the city you are from, or moving to a retail park overlooking busy roads and empty fields, what would you realistically pick?  Given the choice, who really wants to take a bus out to a soulless LegoDrome on the edge of a bloody bypass on match day?

Edited by tian447

1 minute ago, tian447 said:

Even though this looks to be bollocks, Hearts and Hibs should never ever move from their stadiums. 

They are ingrained into those parts of Edinburgh, and being slap bang in the middle of a city is an experience like no other.  The match day feeling of going between a couple of pubs, and then strolling down to Tynecastle on a matchday still gives me goosebumps, regardless of what game it is.  It is an indescribable feeling that words cannot do justice.  I imagine Hibs fans going to Easter Road feel much the same.

Selling your stadium, home for multiple decades, sometimes even over a century, and moving to a new build stadium is just wrong.  The Stadium is part of the club, part of the identity.  When the option is being right in the heart of the city you are from, or moving to a retail park overlooking busy roads and empty fields.  Given the choice, who really wants to take a bus out to a soulless LegoDrome on the edge of a bloody bypass on match day?

All points spot on bud, 

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Selling your stadium, home for multiple decades, sometimes even over a century, and moving to a new build stadium is just wrong.  The Stadium is part of the club, part of the identity.  When the option is being right in the heart of the city you are from, or moving to a retail park overlooking busy roads and empty fields, what would you realistically pick?  Given the choice, who really wants to take a bus out to a soulless LegoDrome on the edge of a bloody bypass on match day?

Totally agree.

The reason is works elsewhere and in other sports though is the on-site experience the provide, which we aren't allowed to do here - thinking tailgating etc. If we were, it would be a totally different experience.

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

You've lived a sheltered life, haven't you?

27 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Good Post mate covers my thoughts entirely. 

20 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

You've lived a sheltered life, haven't you?

Wtf are you on about?

15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

@King prawn sums it up really :lol: 

58 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Hibs should move to near Amazon given their brazilian-esque football style

48 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Agree with this. Basically robbing future generations of ""Match Day Eperience""".

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

They are ingrained into those parts of Edinburgh, and being slap bang in the middle of a city is an experience like no other.  The match day feeling of going between a couple of pubs, and then strolling down to Tynecastle on a matchday still gives me goosebumps, regardless of what game it is.  It is an indescribable feeling that words cannot do justice.  I imagine Hibs fans going to Easter Road feel much the same.

They scuttle down Easter Road. 

Phil D. Corners

Agreed. 

Byyy The Light

Agree with every word. 

50 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Wtf are you on about?

@King prawn sums it up really :lol: 

I started writing something but sometimes a cornette can express far clearer what I want to say :thumbsup:

I recall when there were plans to move the club to Straiton.  I was totally against any move from Tynecaste and West Edinburgh in general.  I was so happy when the move fell through and Hearts remained at Tynecastle and a big thank you to AB + FOH for all the improvements.

The Pieman's smoke & mirrors with "Not Fit For Purpose" and a move to Murrayfield would have been the death of the club.

1 hour ago, gorgieheart said:

😷

47 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I recall when there were plans to move the club to Straiton.  I was totally against any move from Tynecaste and West Edinburgh in general.  I was so happy when the move fell through and Hearts remained at Tynecastle and a big thank you to AB + FOH for all the improvements.

The Pieman's smoke & mirrors with "Not Fit For Purpose" and a move to Murrayfield would have been the death of the club.

Were there ever plans put forward for Hearts to move to Straiton to a stadium of our own? I remember at the time of Wallace Mercer Hermiston and Millerhill both being mentioned as possible sites (and possibly Ingliston too). Then I remember Hibs had plans for a move to Straiton and perhaps there was some chat of ground-sharing. But did Hearts ever come out with plans for their own stadium at Straiton? Totally agree that it's great that none of these happened and we stayed at Tynecastle.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Generally agree, but moving to a new stadium or ground sharing could generate more money and then a better team on the park. 

I'm very happy we stayed at Tynecastle, but if we'd move to a all singing dancing thing or even ground shared like the Milan clubs I could see the possible benefits. 

Sometimes I think nostalgia and tradition holds football back in general, especially Scottish football. 

Ofc, Hibs mucked up the chance of a lifetime to create a all powerful Edinburgh side, playing at Tynecastle and in maroon when they refused Mercers kind offer. 

Selfishness on their part. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

43 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Were there ever plans put forward for Hearts to move to Straiton to a stadium of our own? I remember at the time of Wallace Mercer Hermiston and Millerhill both being mentioned as possible sites (and possibly Ingliston too). Then I remember Hibs had plans for a move to Straiton and perhaps there was some chat of ground-sharing. But did Hearts ever come out with plans for their own stadium at Straiton? Totally agree that it's great that none of these happened and we stayed at Tynecastle.

I think Hibs proposed a joint stadium at Straiton.

The Millerhill one would have happened for Hearts, but in order to pay for the stadium, there was an associated business/retail/residential development for the site. Planning was granted for the stadium, but not the rest of the development, hence why it never went ahead.

That's how I remember it - was quite some time ago.

Agree with this although there was a time I thought we would have to do so.  But Tynecastle for instance is part of a wider community and part of the fabric of the area.  Now we have a modern stadium with facilities that can generate income we should be here forever.  

2 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

Hibs should move to near Amazon given their brazilian-esque football style

To be fair, they probably taught Amazon how to deliver parcels with flair.

Just now, tian447 said:

At various times there's been talk of new stadiums but it was at a time when Hearts played in Europe. I remember being against Millerhill all those years ago but at one point I did come round to the idea of a new stadium somewhere around the airport, somewhere that included a Hotel of some sort. This was purely for the road, rail and air links and the convenience of away fans in Scotland not grinding the city to a halt on matchday plus any club coming to play us in Europe that had to use the airport. The problem that we had with Tynecastle was that we couldn't really extend the stadium around us with the brewery and the houses on Gorgie Road. The only thing we could enlarge the stadium with was with the new stand, which we did in the end, at considerable expense. I'm sure the local businesses were quite happy we stayed at Tynecastle in the end but there's still the age-old problem parking anywhere near the stadium. A new home westside would've solved that problem a little bit as well. However it's all irrelevant now. Stadium's there and Europe is more of a pipedream than a reality with the way European football goes these days.

LOL the bypass is a disaster - too many vehicles on it. All the people who want to go to East Lothian any day the weather is nice or just on weekends clutter it up at Sheriffhall and it is a mess at the other end too. It grinds to a halt every day from Straiton (where there is loads of building just now) and Lothianburn because British people don't now how to merge properly.  The idea that having 20k people converge on any part of it, all at the same time, is just bonkers...

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Generally agree, but moving to a new stadium or ground sharing could generate more money and then a better team on the park. 

I'm very happy we stayed at Tynecastle, but if we'd move to a all singing dancing thing or even ground shared like the Milan clubs I could see the possible benefits. 

Sometimes I think nostalgia and tradition holds football back in general, especially Scottish football. 

Ofc, Hibs mucked up the chance of a lifetime to create a all powerful Edinburgh side, playing at Tynecastle and in maroon when they refused Mercers kind offer. 

Selfishness on their part. 

:spoton:

Sir Wallace was a visionary 

TBF could kind of understand Dunfermline doing this.

East End Park is a reasonably big stadium with a capacity of about 11-12K I think. When are Dunfermline ever going to fill that?. I would guess average crowds at Dunfermline are maybe 5-6K a week. Must be quite difficult as a regular to get much atmosphere going when the stadium is almost always half full. 

Obviously it is easy to get it wrong when building a new stadium, but if they found a decent location which was relatively near by to where they are now, and they could build a more compact, say 7K stadium, surely would be a much better fan experience, and could achieve full house for their bigger games. 

Wtf are you on about?

"being slap bang in the middle of a city is an experience like no other."

Being in a city? It's really nothing to get too excited about really, is it

"The match day feeling of going between a couple of pubs, and then strolling down to Tynecastle on a matchday still gives me goosebumps, regardless of what game it is."

Going between Dickens and the Tynie Arms before a home match against St Johnstone gives you goose bumps?

I mean I like going to the football but you seem a little excitable there fella .

"It is an indescribable feeling that words cannot do justice."

Come on now.

"I imagine Hibs fans going to Easter Road feel much the same."

Right, that's it. You're definitely at it.

The problem is when you move from an established home as Cardiff did when they moved from Ninian Park to the soulless bowl across the road known as Cardiff City Stadium they lost the intimidating atmosphere and hostile environment and swapped it for great facilities for the fans but with bloody zero atmosphere. Only one part of the C.C.S. tries to make an atmosphere, at Ninian Park the whole bloody ground sang! If this is progress then so be it but it ain't for me. I pray that Hearts remain at Tynecastle where they have been since 1886 when the ground opened. As another poster said, you cannot destroy your identity, it's what sets you apart from the rest. Hearts and only Hearts 💕

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

TBF could kind of understand Dunfermline doing this.

East End Park is a reasonably big stadium with a capacity of about 11-12K I think. When are Dunfermline ever going to fill that?. I would guess average crowds at Dunfermline are maybe 5-6K a week. Must be quite difficult as a regular to get much atmosphere going when the stadium is almost always half full. 

Obviously it is easy to get it wrong when building a new stadium, but if they found a decent location which was relatively near by to where they are now, and they could build a more compact, say 7K stadium, surely would be a much better fan experience, and could achieve full house for their bigger games. 

Agree, something similar to st.midden whose Capacity is just under 8k

gorgie rd eh11
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Didn't take long for the new "investors" to show their hand.

15 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

Agree, something similar to st.midden whose Capacity is just under 8k

One of the worst stadiums i've ever been to, the word soulless is perfect for The Simple Digital Arena.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Hibs out of ER? Nah. (titled changed)