Nations league. Info

Smoked-Glass

Smoked-Glass

If we do well what do we achieve?  Another play off opportunity for WC2022?  Auto qualification? 

Someone in the know tell me.. Ta 😎

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• Mikey1874

• HMFC01

• Riddley Walker

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

If we do well what do we achieve?  Another play off opportunity for WC2022?  Auto qualification? 

Got no idea either, can't get my head round all this new system at all.

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Sick not supporting your own country if you're Scottish. 

Yep, but in saying that I wouldn't walk to the end of my street to watch an SFA backed side.

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Sick not supporting your own country if you're Scottish. 

I've spent many of the recent years of my life watching Scotland select Celtic, Rangers and virtually unknown lower-league English players ahead of deserving non-OF players from this country for our national team. I fell out of love with my national team many years ago as a result. Add to that the embarrassing "Doe a Deer mob" and the solidly Glasgow-centred focus of Scottish football and I was finding it difficult to fall back in love again. However, the actions of the SPFL/SFA this year towards our club cemented our divorce big time. The Scotland team doesn't represent our country, they represent the blazers at Hampden Park. So, with all due respect, you can stick your "sick" with your tea, jam and bread. ;)

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've spent many of the recent years of my life watching Scotland select Celtic, Rangers and virtually unknown lower-league English players ahead of deserving non-OF players from this country for our national team. I fell out of love with my national team many years ago as a result. Add to that the embarrassing "Doe a Deer mob" and the solidly Glasgow-centred focus of Scottish football and I was finding it difficult to fall back in love again. However, the actions of the SPFL/SFA this year towards our club cemented our divorce big time. The Scotland team doesn't represent our country, they represent the blazers at Hampden Park. So, with all due respect, you can stick your "sick" with your tea, jam and bread. ;)

Yip, feel pretty disengaged from the national team.. hate half the team most of the year and dont know who the other half are all year.

Perth to Paisley
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Exactly...

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Fantastic Post.

very good and understanable post fom @redjambo

But, I cannot turn my back on the players and will watch on Friday (if I remember it's on :lol:)

Think of it as when we had the Mad one in charge (no, not CPR, but him as well anyway), we still went along and roared on the players.

Sadly, qualification will be seen as the blazers are doing their jobs right. It is difficult for us.

Riddley Walker

Folk who equate supporting Scotland with hatred for the SFA are moronic and clearly just looking for an excuse to give up on the team they support. The same types that will turn away from Hearts if we don't get promoted in one season. 

To answer the OP, the highest ranked two teams in the Nations League who don't qualify through the traditional group qualification will go into a play off. So topping the group is a reasonable chance to get a play off if we fail in the actual groups. 

Smoked-Glass

It's fine to not really care about the national side but to actually support Israel 🇮🇱 or whoever we are playing???  WTAF.

Dennis Reynolds
45 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

It's fine to not really care about the national side but to actually support Israel 🇮🇱 or whoever we are playing???  WTAF.

This.

46 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

:spoton:

Mon the Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Hagar the Horrible
7 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

:spoton:

Mon the Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Sod the tartan army, I am with the Yid Army!

I am off to A&E  just did a DIY foreskin removal, and it cant look like this surely?

Smoked-Glass

People complaining about mainly old firm or down south players in the squad over the years.   It's because the old firm snap up the good Scottish players or those good players seek better wages down south. 

Are we just going to ignore good players cause they play for the uglys and instead play the moral high ground card?   Best players need to be picked. 

Not interested.

Was at every Wembley from 63 until they stopped the fixture.  Enjoyed many games abroad, World Cup Finals to San Marino, and just for context I am a Scottish Nationalist, but couldn't give a monkey's about the SFA's team

Edited by colinmaroon

9 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

People complaining about mainly old firm or down south players in the squad over the years.   It's because the old firm snap up the good Scottish players or those good players seek better wages down south. 

Are we just going to ignore good players cause they play for the uglys and instead play the moral high ground card?   Best players need to be picked. 

I agree, but when they played for the other Scottish clubs, no call up to national side, as soon as they move to one of the uglies, they're picked to play, that's what's bugged me over the years, still want Scotland to do well, all the same.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

This 100%.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Not interested.

Was at every Wembley from 63 until they stopped the fixture.  Enjoyed many games abroad, World Cup Finals to San Marino, and just for context I am a Scottish Nationalist, but couldn't give a monkey's about the SFA's team

I'm here too, but I don't want them beat. 

2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

This. I’ve been in the supporter’s club for years and have jacked it due to recent events but I still want Scotland to win every game they play. Although I do feel more apathetic about the national team than I ever have done. 

14 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The Nations League will be partially linked with European qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, with the format confirmed by the UEFA Executive Committee during their meeting in Nyon, Switzerland on 4 December 2019. The qualifying structure will depend on results from the Nations League, although to a lesser degree than the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs. The ten group winners after the first round (group stage) will qualify directly for the World Cup. Then, the second round (play-offs) will be contested by the ten group runners-up, along with the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The play-offs will be split into three play-off paths, played in two single-match knockout rounds (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), from which an additional three teams will also qualify.

In other words, two sides will get a back door entry into the World Cup play-offs through the Nations League.

Hagar the Horrible
25 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Not interested.

I was at the Scotland v Brazil game in Seville when Narey scored that toe poke!

For years I thought we were just unlucky, we should have not lost by so many as in the first half I thought we were the better team. We should have not conceded 2 goals against NZ, and Russia we were lucky to get away with a draw after going 1-0 up, we should have not sat back.

My view of that campaign was based on visual evidence, then years later I heard an interview with Stachan on Its only a game.  He pointed out a few home truths, If you look at Narey, he celebrates on his own, that’s because the rest of the team soiled themselves, and Strachan himself admitted what have you done, that will annoy them,  In the second half they dothed thy caps to the Yellow Cowden.  What a sad bunch of total losers, my love affair with the national side ended after that interview.  I really believed we were trying to out Brazil..Brazil!

I am not keen having our players mix with an inherent inferiority complex,  They used to get to these tournaments and think it’s an excuse for a pissup, now we can’t even get close, because our players are just not professional off the park,  proof the Covid 8, You don’t see Bale in a gutter with a half eaten pizza, or Croatia stranded on a boat pissed as farts the night before a game.  Still we get to listen and laugh when we hear these anecdotes at dinners.

I just hate it when International week comes around, I sulk for a week and morn every lost point at Hearts, I am so over a defeat for Scotland by the time I have been for my post match shite.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We've been hopeless my entire life, another defeat doesn't mean much.

Wouldn't support our opposition though. 

Exactly. If you don’t want to follow the national team  then fair enough. Actively supporting the opposition is oddball behaviour though.

manaliveits105

The TA these days is full of halitosis fat old men wearing fancy dress who try and chat up foreign girls young enough to be their grand daughters - they like to drink till they are comatose and dance with each other to proclaimers songs - even the sorrow song - the football is actually incidental to their wee trips - its quite embarrassing and nothing like the original tartan army of the seventies who wreaked havoc but dressed normally and cared about the football.

I will watch the matches but not give the sfa the smell of my piss until Petrie Maxwell and Broadfoot and their ilk are long gone

17 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The TA these days is full of halitosis fat old men wearing fancy dress who try and chat up foreign girls young enough to be their grand daughters - they like to drink till they are comatose and dance with each other to proclaimers songs - even the sorrow song - the football is actually incidental to their wee trips - its quite embarrassing and nothing like the original tartan army of the seventies who wreaked havoc but dressed normally and cared about the football.

I will watch the matches but not give the sfa the smell of my piss until Petrie Maxwell and Broadfoot and their ilk are long gone

This is my experience also.

I once watched a high profile BBC Scotland football pundit try to take a hooker from the hotel bar up to his room.

Imagine the hilarity when he was stopped with the young lady at the lift doors by security who insisted that he pay the "house" before continuing.

Smoked-Glass

Yea.  Football is football so watching my birth country play is fine. 

They are hopeless, but it's fine.

Enjoyed being in a pub watching us beat France twice a few years ago. 

Smoked-Glass
36 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Exactly. If you don’t want to follow the national team  then fair enough. Actively supporting the opposition is oddball behaviour though.

Unless v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 lol

3 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

Folk who equate supporting Scotland with hatred for the SFA are moronic and clearly just looking for an excuse to give up on the team they support. The same types that will turn away from Hearts if we don't get promoted in one season. 

To answer the OP, the highest ranked two teams in the Nations League who don't qualify through the traditional group qualification will go into a play off. So topping the group is a reasonable chance to get a play off if we fail in the actual groups. 

Couldn't be further from the truth. Couldn't give 2 flying ****'s about the national team, but I follow Hearts home and away through thick and thin, and always will.

Scotland and Andy Murray used to be in the same "frustration to watch" category. Then Murray actually won something....!

Riddley Walker
10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. Couldn't give 2 flying ****'s about the national team, but I follow Hearts home and away through thick and thin, and always will.

So you're obviously completely disillusioned with the set up of the national team. Therefore in the future if you become completely disillusioned with the set up of Hearts there's a chance you'll turn your back too? 

I personally love international football. Takes away all the monetary imbalance we have in club football. Couldn't care less how shite Scotland are, will always support them. 

13 hours ago, redjambo said:

Well said 👏 👏👏👏

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

👏👏👏👏. I followed scotland home and away for about 15 years, not been for about 8 years now and the way you describe the TA is spot on.  For some reason you stick a kilt on some of these people and they turn into a complete idiots It was one of the main reasons i stopped going. 

Boyces beard

I'm no supporting Scotland any more because that fat guy with the kilt on is singing songs and has had to much to drink.

haha,  once the fans are back at away games and boycots ect have finished, you wont be wanting to follow the famous then because that young lad has had one to many patsy's and that other guy must have had at least 8 pints.

:facepalm:

Edited by jambo3tevie

I'll always support Scotland but I'll never go to another game. 

The players and the team certainly do not represent the SFA. What of pile of shite that comment is. I don't think Andy Robertson travels up from Liverpool thinking, I must play my best for Ian Maxwell and Rod Petrie" :cornette:

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I was at the Scotland v Brazil game in Seville when Narey scored that toe poke!

For years I thought we were just unlucky, we should have not lost by so many as in the first half I thought we were the better team. We should have not conceded 2 goals against NZ, and Russia we were lucky to get away with a draw after going 1-0 up, we should have not sat back.

My view of that campaign was based on visual evidence, then years later I heard an interview with Stachan on Its only a game.  He pointed out a few home truths, If you look at Narey, he celebrates on his own, that’s because the rest of the team soiled themselves, and Strachan himself admitted what have you done, that will annoy them,  In the second half they dothed thy caps to the Yellow Cowden.  What a sad bunch of total losers, my love affair with the national side ended after that interview.  I really believed we were trying to out Brazil..Brazil!

I am not keen having our players mix with an inherent inferiority complex,  They used to get to these tournaments and think it’s an excuse for a pissup, now we can’t even get close, because our players are just not professional off the park,  proof the Covid 8, You don’t see Bale in a gutter with a half eaten pizza, or Croatia stranded on a boat pissed as farts the night before a game.  Still we get to listen and laugh when we hear these anecdotes at dinners.

I just hate it when International week comes around, I sulk for a week and morn every lost point at Hearts, I am so over a defeat for Scotland by the time I have been for my post match shite.

My reaction to a Scotland win is OK but that's it.

What is more disturbing is that my reaction is not even disappointment, it's more akin to, "Up yours!"

Would the same folk still not support Scotland if we were in the finals, or is it just ok to turn your back when we are shite.

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'll always support Scotland but I'll never go to another game. 

The players and the team certainly do not represent the SFA. What of pile of shite that comment is. I don't think Andy Robertson travels up from Liverpool thinking, I must play my best for Ian Maxwell and Rod Petrie" :cornette:

Same boat as me. 

i remember forking out 30-40 quid + 20 or so travel money + food and drink to watch a 32 (roughly) year old Goran Pandev rip the absolute pish out of us. Never been back and won't go anytime soon

Edited by Gone

23 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

So you're obviously completely disillusioned with the set up of the national team. Therefore in the future if you become completely disillusioned with the set up of Hearts there's a chance you'll turn your back too? 

I personally love international football. Takes away all the monetary imbalance we have in club football. Couldn't care less how shite Scotland are, will always support them. 

Not so much disillusioned, just not interested. It hasn't exactly been plain sailing at Hearts either but alas, here I am. Plenty folk turn their back on going to games for whatever reason. My Dad was home and away through the 80's onwards and now barely goes to a game. Still loves the club, but can't really afford it these days and he just feels the whole modern football experience is crap.

It's not about how shite Scotland are at football, we have been for years. 

It's Scottish football that I now detest with the exception of Hearts. 

The media and pundits actually make my skin crawl more than Jimmy Hill and the 1966 brigade in the English media. 

It was tongue in cheek to say I would support Israel, but I could not care less if Scotland got absolutely pumped on Friday. 

Riddley Walker
42 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not so much disillusioned, just not interested. It hasn't exactly been plain sailing at Hearts either but alas, here I am. Plenty folk turn their back on going to games for whatever reason. My Dad was home and away through the 80's onwards and now barely goes to a game. Still loves the club, but can't really afford it these days and he just feels the whole modern football experience is crap.

That's fair enough if you/others are just not interested. It's the others that actively go against Scotland and make up all sorts of weird wee reasons about fans/dress style/ songs/ SFA to justify it.